Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

The only one I'm not convinced has value is the Seeker option.

Roland Banks and his gun would say otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Enraptured seems like a real card for Mystics.

Second Wind is by itself a solid card (cheap cantrips with a decently helpful effect tend to be) but is hindered by the effect being so small that you probably don't want to devote the deckslot to it. If this had 2 Guts icons instead of 1 it'd be an auto-replacement for Guts though.

Well Prepared is very interesting, and makes it worthwhile to examine the icons on your assets carefully to figure out if this is a thing you want. Might just make the .45 increase in value against encounter deck Agility tests, for example.

Take the Initiative seems legit also.

If Secrets are ever going to be worthwhile then Truth from Fiction is an auto-replace for Perception also.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Orange Devil posted:

Take the Initiative seems legit also.

Yeah, the key to it is 'this phase' instead of 'this turn.' I'm pretty sure most of the time it's a better Unexpected Courage, though I suppose its usefulness decreases somewhat as the player count increases.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Orikaeshigitae posted:

I can't figure out how to counter her weakness reliably as a solo investigator. Keep getting caught by perils and elite monsters.

I believe, but am not a designer for the game, that you can perform an Investigate action in a location that has no clues, in order to meet the criteria for her Weakness to prevent it from dealing horror (basing this on the fact that it specifically says "successfully investigate" as opposed to "discover a clue." It's obviously to your benefit to place the weakness in a room that does have clues, but given that that's sometimes impossible or otherwise very impractical, having the option to drop it on a nearby empty room with a low shroud is nice, especially paired with her free investigate after moving.

For reference,

quote:

Neutral
Treachery. Weakness
Task.

Revelation - Put Call of the Unknown into play in your threat area.

Forced - At the beginning of your turn: Choose a location other than your location. When your turn ends, if you did not successfully investigate the chosen location this turn, take 2 horror and shuffle Call of the Unknown back into your deck.

I believe this has come into play with regard to Roland's Cover Up weakness, as well as Burglary, etc.

I am also acknowledging the strong possibility that you're more than aware of this and simply mean dealing with it in conjunction with having to worry about other problems that might prevent you from moving at the same time. :downs:

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President
I would love to see Roland with Quick Study, Well Prepared, and Shotgun—drop a clue to attack at Fight +8 (!) for a reliable 5 damage and score a kill to pick it back up.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Any ideas for a non-guardian partner for Ursula? Thinking of trying a non-Pete survivor.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Bottom Liner posted:

Any ideas for a non-guardian partner for Ursula? Thinking of trying a non-Pete survivor.

William Yorick worked alright but basically functioned as a guardian. Maybe a damage-heavy Mystic (that I've never played and can give no useful info on)?

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Bottom Liner posted:

How about Silas?

Just use another investigator's signatures as proxies.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

William Yorick worked alright but basically functioned as a guardian. Maybe a damage-heavy Mystic (that I've never played and can give no useful info on)?

Mystics are always an option to play protector since they can build up to be very damage heavy. The problem with them is they're very dependent on a small number of cards to do that damage and so they can be inconsistent and have trouble building up.

Maybe Agnes? She can take Survivor weapons and her built in ability gives her more damage consistency.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wait so Truth from Fiction and Enraptured do let you put secrets on an Untranslated Archaic Glyph. That's kinda neat.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Does anyone have ideas for a survivor deck? Right now I’m thinking about running Ashcan with Yaotl, desperate cards, and possibly True Survivor or Cornered. Maybe throwing in Double or Nothing and Deduction for his splashes. I’ll be playing a three player Forgotten Age campaign with a mystic and a rogue (Mateo and Finn). Is there a better option for a more investigative survivor?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Key of St. Hubert and Key of Ys combined with Dark Horse should give you plenty of investigation.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/7/27/shattered-aeons/

Borrowed time and Ace in the hole look so cool

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Uh, I think I'm not going to play anything but Rogue's after those come out :stare:

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Uh, I think I'm not going to play anything but Rogue's after those come out :stare:

Ace isn't new though.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Yeah I was confused, I had thought Ace was already out and thought maybe they upgraded it.

Borrowed time is definitely interesting, although rogues are already really stressed on XP.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
holy poo poo Borrowed Time looks good

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Um, Calvin Wright ... what the gently caress? Is he good and I am dumb?

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

My play group thinks he's the worst character in the game by far. He basically has to work ultra-hard just to get to "average" stats, at which point he's close to death. And that's his hero power.

I really think they needed to make his health/sanity 8/8 and cap the bonus, or give him base stats (even 1s would help a ton). It really feels like they overcorrected from Key of Ys (which tbh if you're not playing hard mode shouldn't even be played, it trivializes the game if you get it out).

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Vantage point seems pretty good.

Alter Fate also a good card for Survivors to spend XP on.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Orange Devil posted:

Yeah, Alter Fate is kinda underwhelming compared to the zero xp version of Ward of Protection but what else is a survivor going to spend xp on?

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I'm playing in the Eternal Slumber event at Gen Con with a bunch of friends. I had planned on taking a Rex deck, are there any "must include" cards for him? Higher Education seems like an obvious choice, along with Dr. Milan Christopher and I've got a Plan, but there has to be some I'm not thinking of. I've got all the Dunwich Legacy packs, and I could probably pick up some other stuff if there's something that's just that good.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

I feel like there is a lot of XP to be sunk I to the Ashcan Pete decks before you can get anywhere.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Had a great time last night doing Unspeakable Oath and Phantom of Truth.

The Chef and the Gravedigger might not be the best at investigating, but we cut up a lot of cultists into clues, leather coats, turned legs into baseball bats and such.

Dynamite, Beat Cop, Zoeys Cross, and two Lanterns made for a anticlimactic battle at the end, but we had great fun kicking rear end.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I feel like there is a lot of XP to be sunk I to the Ashcan Pete decks before you can get anywhere.

I gotta confess that Survivors are the class that clicks the least for me. All the others I got a really good sense of what I'm trying to do, including in variant builds, but whenever I play a Survivor I spent so much time either durdling or making skills tests at parity or only +1 with the difficulty.

Now obviously Survivors have some cards that allow them to succeed even when they fail and all that, but it's not like they have either that many of them or have that much draw. Plus those cards are at their strongest when you have a reasonably chance of succeeding in the first place and then when poo poo does go bad you get to salvage it, not when you're basically depending on them.

Maybe I should just spent a lot more time drawing when playing a Survivor or something.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

I gotta confess that Survivors are the class that clicks the least for me. All the others I got a really good sense of what I'm trying to do, including in variant builds, but whenever I play a Survivor I spent so much time either durdling or making skills tests at parity or only +1 with the difficulty.

Now obviously Survivors have some cards that allow them to succeed even when they fail and all that, but it's not like they have either that many of them or have that much draw. Plus those cards are at their strongest when you have a reasonably chance of succeeding in the first place and then when poo poo does go bad you get to salvage it, not when you're basically depending on them.

Maybe I should just spent a lot more time drawing when playing a Survivor or something.

Ashcna Pete is my favourite survivor (I think Wendy sucks). There are sort of broadly two things you do:

Have a very 'fast' deck - with Duke, Dark Horse, a mag glass and a fire axe Ashcan Pete is awesome at everything. Include lots of cantrip skills so you can cycle your deck very quickly if you're missing a combo piece. This deck investigates on 6 without any cards in the check, has fight 5 for 2 damage from duke which is competitive with a Colt .32 and that's without considering the fire axe which mostly exists as a way to dispose of resources in an emergency. You can use scavenging as an awesome card draw engine too (investigate with duke, fish an item out, toss the item to refresh duke, etc). It has a very low cost curve so you can get it rolling very quickly. Thia low overhead but generically good deck is pretty resistant to everything and can contribute in investigating or combat as required, and has a great willpower bonus so is usually pretty resistant to the mythos deck as well.

Alternatively you play 'get ridiculously good at everything' Pete. This is a more combo deck that uses Dark Horse+Madame labranche+St Hubert's key to get massive passive skill boosts. Having the key down gives Ashcan Pete access to all the desperate skills as well without taking any SAN damage which can be bananas good, but I think using the regular skills.might be stronger as if you have the key and dark horse ticking along what do you need even bigger bonuses for.

You can add Yaotl to trigger the reckless skills off the top of your discard and Key of Ys to this deck tonget outrageous bonuses to everything fairly easily.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Y'all crazy. Survivors are great and Ashcan in particular is great from the go, first turn of the first scenario.

I had some trouble breaching the class in Core, because Wendy does happen to be a weird ID, more focused on fancy tricks than a particular role. Ashcan and Yorrick are much more straightforward and therefore just work.

Basically, you set them up as generalists - perhaps tilted to killing or investigating, but firmly in that "good, but not great" space. Then, you use the rest of your deck to cheat, nudging the odds when necessary, tanking damage like a sponge or retconning some troublemaker from existence. As you're usually based more on events and skills over assets, it might take some skill to know when to commit and when to pass with your mostly one-shot effects.

Some exile cards are also great - since all survivor cards tend to be low on xp costs, you will run out of interesting stuff to buy eventually and learn not to fear the "waste" of xp - Test of Will, Devil's Luck and Strike of Luck are extremely good and can turn a scenario on their own. When you're like 2-3 scenarios from the end it's okay to pour resources into them, even perhaps twice.

Like, when your deck has two Strikes of Luck and two Wills to Survive you don't really need much more than a Machete to rip poo poo up.

One thing they do struggle with is getting several exceptional results in a short time - like a 5-6 strength boss you need to hit three times in a row not to die. You just have to plan your resources around that.

if you have any specific questions, feel free to ask, they're my favorite class.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Survivors are, I think, the best all round characters in the game.

Wendy is broken as poo poo.
Pete is broken as poo poo.
Yorrick is broken as poo poo (with 5 xp).

I love their flexibility. Seriously. Look beyond the fact that the characters might not be heroic stereotypes, and they are very very strong chatacters. Their strength comes from their flexibility and reliability.

Don't use that Calvin guy. He sucks.

Edit: Yorrick with the Red-Gloved Man is ... so good. So goooood.

I think Yorrick is my favorite because I love table talk about wearing my "new cultist leather coat" or how i pay the Red Gloved Man in smashed cockroaches. Oh, I also rendered down a cultist into lamp oil to get my Lantern working again.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jul 30, 2018

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I would rather just spend the extra 2xp on The Gold Pocket Watch in both cases I think

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

dexefiend posted:

Survivors are, I think, the best all round characters in the game.

Wendy is broken as poo poo.
Pete is broken as poo poo.
Yorrick is broken as poo poo (with 5 xp).

I love their flexibility. Seriously. Look beyond the fact that the characters might not be heroic stereotypes, and they are very very strong chatacters. Their strength comes from their flexibility and reliability.

Agreed. I could probably be convinced that the best 4 player setup in the game would be 4 decked out survivors.

I'm getting this sweet set from the event in a trade at Gencon and I'm excited to finally have a playmat. Any other good ones? I wasn't a fan of the first few they released to retail at release or the giant 4 player one.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 30, 2018

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I want the giant 4-player one just because they currently don't have any stock and I can't buy it. Plus this is one of the few games where a giant mat makes sense.

My girlfriend loves the mat that has the lady surrounded by flames. I forget the card name.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Another way to play Pete is with what my play group calls the 'Expendables' deck.

You use your non Survivor slots to load up on cheap come-into-play allies, then liberally Calling in Favors them back to hand. This let's you repeatedly get the come-into-play effects, or reset Duke's health, or go hunting for Yaotl.

This deck worked great before Yaotl but he takes to another level.

Low XP example :
https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/194264

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
With all their fancy mechanical gimmicks (like discard digging, playing broke, etc.) the survivors really have entered the golden era of janky combo decks and I'm glad for it.

(Pete is also the single best investigator to use Dark Horse with, this poo poo makes him go super saiyan)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

We started the Dunwich Legacy over the weekend (went gambling den first) and I took this Ursula Deck in.

https://arkhamdb.com/decklist/view/6617/ursula-downs-dunwich-1.0

(might not be 100% accurate, I was having trouble remembering my last couple cards)

The other three players are Finn Edwards, Zoey Samaras, and Silas Marsh. I took the Obol because I like to play aggressively and I also want to upgrade like everything. I know people said I should ignore relics when I asked earlier, but that's boring. I also managed to finish both my miniquests so hopefully we get enough EXP from the next scenario for me to upgrade both (technically all four) of them.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 30, 2018

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

IcePhoenix posted:

We started the Dunwich Legacy over the weekend (went gambling den first) and I took this Ursula Deck in.

https://arkhamdb.com/decklist/view/6617/ursula-downs-dunwich-1.0

(might not be 100% accurate, I was having trouble remembering my last couple cards)

The other three players are Finn Edwards, Zoey Samaras, and Silas Marsh. I took the Obol because I like to play aggressively and I also want to upgrade like everything. I know people said I should ignore relics when I asked earlier, but that's boring. I also managed to finish both my miniquests so hopefully we get enough EXP from the next scenario for me to upgrade both (technically all four) of them.

Only gap I see is the lack of Pathfinder (and the ability to fight anything, but you've got 3 other players so probably not a big deal), which is a very good fit with Ursula, but that seems like it'll be pretty good. I'm assuming Charisma will be a quick purchase for you.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Only gap I see is the lack of Pathfinder (and the ability to fight anything, but you've got 3 other players so probably not a big deal), which is a very good fit with Ursula, but that seems like it'll be pretty good. I'm assuming Charisma will be a quick purchase for you.

Is Pathfinder the one that gives +2 to a skilltest after you enter a clue room? Because I definitely have two of that and probably just screwed up :haw:

Also yes, the lack of fight was an intentional choice because of Silas and Zoey being in the group, and Charisma will be my next purchase. Amusingly enough it didn't matter in this game because I had Ellie in my opening hand and the entirety of my remaining allies were in the bottom eight cards.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

Agreed. I could probably be convinced that the best 4 player setup in the game would be 4 decked out survivors.

I'm getting this sweet set from the event in a trade at Gencon and I'm excited to finally have a playmat. Any other good ones? I wasn't a fan of the first few they released to retail at release or the giant 4 player one.

The counter argument is basically 'yeah, but higher education.' Seekers are just so strong at their core activity and they've printed enough random combat cards (acidic ichor, I've got a plan) that they don't have a weakness anymore either.

Daisy plus Ashcan Pete is an awesome two player combo though.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

IcePhoenix posted:

Is Pathfinder the one that gives +2 to a skilltest after you enter a clue room? Because I definitely have two of that and probably just screwed up :haw:

Also yes, the lack of fight was an intentional choice because of Silas and Zoey being in the group, and Charisma will be my next purchase. Amusingly enough it didn't matter in this game because I had Ellie in my opening hand and the entirety of my remaining allies were in the bottom eight cards.

No, Pathfinder is the 3-cost Talent that lets you exhaust it to move for free if you aren't engaged with an enemy.

https://arkhamdb.com/card/02108

Edit: I guess that those cards were your starting cards, so you couldn't have picked Pathfinder.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

No, Pathfinder is the 3-cost Talent that lets you exhaust it to move for free if you aren't engaged with an enemy.

https://arkhamdb.com/card/02108

Edit: I guess that those cards were your starting cards, so you couldn't have picked Pathfinder.

Yeah I can't use it yet, but will definitely consider it after I get another twelve or so experience to upgrade the things I already want :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I was talking with a friend about which cards I'm planning to add to my Ursula deck and found out that not only is skeleton key not out yet but it is probably months out from release, what the hell arkhamdb why is it there if I can't use it :mad: