Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Are you phoning up our support team ten minutes before they clock off and requesting something that involves engineering time and license purchases and is something that our project team have been trying to engage with you on for weeks? Are you then issuing ultimatums about how it 'has' to be done right there and then because you have an expensive consultant sat on site waiting? Do you go on to be rude to our admin staff when they pick the phone up, and repeatedly put the phone down on them?

Yeah, you can get hosed buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I don't use any of these new fangled chats but didn't discord make slack obsolete like facebook made myspace obsolete? Where will the cool teens go next?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Rexxed posted:

I don't use any of these new fangled chats but didn't discord make slack obsolete like facebook made myspace obsolete? Where will the cool teens go next?

Discord and Slack fill very different needs I'd say. Discord killed Ventrillo/Teamspeak more than it went after Slack.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Meh. I'm being such a fan boy of a product were vetting that people are assuming I get a kick back on the sale. What's wrong with being excited for a good product?!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I like Slack a lot and vastly prefer it to the AIM-style of SfB and whatnot.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Veeam now backs up all of Office 365

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Inspector_666 posted:

Discord and Slack fill very different needs I'd say. Discord killed Ventrillo/Teamspeak more than it went after Slack.

Ventrillo and teamspeak were never very good products

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

chin up everything sucks posted:

I never implied they were.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

I honestly question the usefulness of the product.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What, of Veeam?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sickening posted:

I honestly question the usefulness of the product.

We're mainly looking at it for disaster recovery and ediscovery.

e:

Thanks Ants posted:

What, of Veeam?

Of backing up O365 in general, I assume.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I can sort of see the usefulness of it, because AFAIK there's no way to revert a mailbox back to a point-in-time in Office 365 if somebody fucks it up, which is a pretty standard feature that admins backing up legacy Exchange deployments have been able to do for a while.

I don't really see the point of doing it by downloading all the data locally when things like NetApp Cloud Control exist.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Sepist posted:

Meh. I'm being such a fan boy of a product were vetting that people are assuming I get a kick back on the sale. What's wrong with being excited for a good product?!

What’s the product?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Thanks Ants posted:

I can sort of see the usefulness of it, because AFAIK there's no way to revert a mailbox back to a point-in-time in Office 365 if somebody fucks it up, which is a pretty standard feature that admins backing up legacy Exchange deployments have been able to do for a while.

Yea, backing up O365 environments is highly desirable for some customers. We just talked to one that flat out wouldn’t look at solutions that couldn’t back up their Exchange, OneDrive and Sharepoint environments as well as on prem.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

chin up everything sucks posted:

Exactly. Discord fills that niche quite well.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

YOLOsubmarine posted:

What’s the product?

7signal is the company. They are doing client side wireless monitoring better than everyone else

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Rexxed posted:

Discord doesn't have animated emoticons and Slack doesn't have good voice chat. Overlapping feature sets, neither obsoletes the other.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

fishmech posted:

Discord doesn't have animated emoticons

Oh yes it does, in the paid Nitro version.

JackDRipper
Feb 13, 2013

Its all about the Fishing.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Yea, backing up O365 environments is highly desirable for some customers. We just talked to one that flat out wouldn’t look at solutions that couldn’t back up their Exchange, OneDrive and Sharepoint environments as well as on prem.

I've always been curious on this. 365 has internal backups. Hell you can do PITR in one drive, you have 2 week periods on Exchange and SPO, what's the motivation for adding a third party into that mixture?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

JackDRipper posted:

I've always been curious on this. 365 has internal backups. Hell you can do PITR in one drive, you have 2 week periods on Exchange and SPO, what's the motivation for adding a third party into that mixture?

You delete the PITR and any other remaining backups.

You can’t restore.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Slack is insanely useful for work, because you can use webhooks to plug in a whole lot of notifications from your network gear or hardware. So nice being told at a glance that a connection's gone down (or come back up) when it happens and you're away from your computer. Or you're on-call.

Say what? That's not a "feature" thats a loving bug. One that I would demand to be immediately fixed. Then I'd remember that I have nothing to do with this nonesense and ask the kids to get off the lawn and generally be happy with life. Still, thats a bug.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Volguus posted:

Say what? That's not a "feature" thats a loving bug. One that I would demand to be immediately fixed. Then I'd remember that I have nothing to do with this nonesense and ask the kids to get off the lawn and generally be happy with life. Still, thats a bug.

idgi

what's your proposed alternative for fast team communication for operational support?

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

JackDRipper posted:

You are already using Veeam for other backups, but you want more than 14/30 day backups for exchange online. Most customers that would use something like this are already archiving mail outside of office 365.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Sniep posted:

idgi

what's your proposed alternative for fast team communication for operational support?

One of the 100 billion communication protocols in existence. People have been communicating one with another in writing for at least 5400 years, verbally for a lot longer. To even "look for a communication protocol" in TYOOL 2018 is quite funny. Not only that, but to choose an unreliable & expensive one when everything else is available is either incompetence or malfeasance.
To even ask for "proposed alternative" ... jesus. On what planet are you living on?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Just do your corporate IT chats on efnet with some bots that talk about your servers. Surely nothing bad could happen.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Proteus Jones posted:

Exactly. Discord fills that niche quite well.

roger wilco best VOIP app. It was actually better than vent/teamspeak imo, but didn't really catch on and lacked features to an extent.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Volguus posted:

One of the 100 billion communication protocols in existence. People have been communicating one with another in writing for at least 5400 years, verbally for a lot longer. To even "look for a communication protocol" in TYOOL 2018 is quite funny. Not only that, but to choose an unreliable & expensive one when everything else is available is either incompetence or malfeasance.
To even ask for "proposed alternative" ... jesus. On what planet are you living on?

This sounds like the insane ranting of a crazy person.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Yeah, I think there's some inherent bias about on-call work in play here.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

MF_James posted:

roger wilco best VOIP app. It was actually better than vent/teamspeak imo, but didn't really catch on and lacked features to an extent.
also Gamespy totally hosed it up

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

MF_James posted:

You misspelled Mumble.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Of course it is, when the not-insane way is to just go out and use the latest inferior and expensive tech, just because. Duh.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Volguus posted:

Of course it is, when the not-insane way is to just go out and use the latest inferior and expensive tech, just because. Duh.

Slack costs zero dollars to start using.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

JHVH-1 posted:

Slack costs zero dollars to start using.

Of course it is when you just want to play talk with yourself.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Volguus posted:

Of course it is when you just want to play talk with yourself.

Uh, dude? Maybe stop spouting off dumb poo poo

https://slack.com/pricing/free

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Volguus posted:

...It's a bug to not have to occasionally log in and check that things haven't gone to poo poo while on-call, and know when things have the moment it happens so you don't get angry customers ringing to ask why things went to poo poo hours ago? :confused:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Neddy Seagoon posted:

...It's a bug to not have to occasionally log in and check that things haven't gone to poo poo while on-call, and know when things have the moment it happens so you don't get angry customers ringing to ask why things went to poo poo hours ago? :confused:

Look at his/her other posts, it's that old man yelling at cloud image.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
Yeah, where I am, the guys on-call are entirely extra assistance if the guys working at night/on weekends can't fix something, but if I were the one responsible for IDing and fixing stuff that brakes, a chat client that notified me inobtrusively would be so, so much better than needing to keep a monitoring tool up on my PC all weekend. Email would be terrible - we get so much non-critical mail I would have to be checking my phone every couple minutes to see if THIS one is important.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Uh, dude? Maybe stop spouting off dumb poo poo

https://slack.com/pricing/free

When you're that small that you're fine with their infrastructure, you're fine with a set and forget IRC server. When you're that big that you have to have the paid for features, you're ok with having a team managing a communications server for you. If you're already in bed with microsoft, most likely you're already paying for Teams, so you may as well use it.
If you're that small that you simply cannot have a server ($5/month is too much for you) facing the internet at all ... then sure. It is the only use case that slack does make sense.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Volguus posted:

When you're that small that you're fine with their infrastructure, you're fine with a set and forget IRC server. When you're that big that you have to have the paid for features, you're ok with having a team managing a communications server for you. If you're already in bed with microsoft, most likely you're already paying for Teams, so you may as well use it.
If you're that small that you simply cannot have a server ($5/month is too much for you) facing the internet at all ... then sure. It is the only use case that slack does make sense.

Who are you and what's your point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Volguus posted:

turn off your monitor