Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Ahh it’s submarine horror story hour?

Well without the fun parts mine ends with “So they we were, after a drill where things unexpectedly broke, at depth, reactor scramed and steam stops shut. On one emergency power supply, with our control room indecisively being dipshits and almost overloading and tripping out that last one, stuck doing a very very slow left turn and climbing with a butthole clenching sloth pace”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Terrible Robot posted:

What was the first

Something with the USS Dallas

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Syrian Lannister posted:

Something with the USS Dallas

Ah, yes, the time the Russian Alfa took a shot that you guys intercepted.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
hot rock make steam

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I feel like I can't let you fuckers forget that this was made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsWscbJKwhw

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Elendil004 posted:

My only claim to fame in this life is that the guy doing the head bob to Picard was my staff advisor when I was a nuke school student.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Elendil004 posted:

:stonk:

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
I need to ruin everything:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2009/02/03/sailor-who-made-controversial-video-dancing-shipmates-slain-in-murder-suicide.html

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Elendil004 posted:

I remember a dude getting nailed to the loving wall for having a camera in a restricted space for that.

Source: was on that ship.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Of course that video would have a loving sordid history

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

"Hoo-rah."

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Jesus christ, wouldnt have thought Numa-Numa caused so many problems :stare:

Also, just got my wings yesterday! :toot: Heading down to Jax in a couple days then off to New Hanpshire to get my rear end kicked at SERE.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
SV80 was the best experience I never want to do again.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Also, just got my wings yesterday! :toot: Heading down to Jax in a couple days then off to New Hanpshire to get my rear end kicked at SERE.

Congrats! Summer time SERE is the way to go, gently caress trudging through snow and fighting off frostbite.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Well done!

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Congrats! Summer time SERE is the way to go, gently caress trudging through snow and fighting off frostbite.

I went through in March at Warner Springs. Just warm enough in the day to soak your clothes with sweat and then as soon as the sun went down you were freezing. They actually pulled a guy out for a couple hours when we were in the camp phase because he was shivering so badly.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

vulturesrow posted:

I went through in March at Warner Springs. Just warm enough in the day to soak your clothes with sweat and then as soon as the sun went down you were freezing. They actually pulled a guy out for a couple hours when we were in the camp phase because he was shivering so badly.

Same except August. We were all shivering at camp until a ninja in our group disassembled the camp spigot and threw the pieces over the fence. Lol.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

What did getting rid of the spigot do? What was the spigot to?

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

LingcodKilla posted:

What did getting rid of the spigot do? What was the spigot to?

I can't tell you, but there's one way to find out! :)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

King of Bees posted:

I can't tell you, but there's one way to find out! :)

Lol I like not being broken.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Didn't you get a sneaker chit in a school

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

maffew buildings posted:

Didn't you get a sneaker chit in a school

Yeah, i broke my rear end in a top hat pooping right after I busted my heel bone on a root while running the chip trail.
Couldn’t march for months and walking was a pain in the rear end for a few weeks.

It’s all good now!

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

King of Bees posted:

Same except August. We were all shivering at camp until a ninja in our group disassembled the camp spigot and threw the pieces over the fence. Lol.

Ha, that one took me a sec. Nice.

Warner Springs in July, at least for the field portion, was basically like a Boy Scout trip without food. Hike around, learn survival stuff, camp out under the stars cuddled up with a big warm Marine... Yeah it got chilly at night, but compared to the horror stories from my friends who did Maine in the winter I've got no complaints.

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..
I did the whole Maine in February thing. It was cold and I learned that you can get stuck in a snow drift if you walk away from camp to piss in the middle of the night without snow shoes.

My advice is to never cross the road and don’t sign anything. Also eat and drink so much in Portsmouth the week before you don’t lose any weight during your outdoor adventure.

Major Minor
Apr 28, 2010
I’m going in a couple months, presumably to Warner. Can’t wait to spoon with my friends under the stars :)

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Major Minor posted:

I’m going in a couple months, presumably to Warner. Can’t wait to spoon with my friends under the stars :)

Friend of mine got a hot female pilot buddy. I got a recon marine. I had easy land nav, he had nice nights under the stars.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Wonder Free posted:

I did the whole Maine in February thing. It was cold and I learned that you can get stuck in a snow drift if you walk away from camp to piss in the middle of the night without snow shoes.

My advice is to never cross the road and don’t sign anything. Also eat and drink so much in Portsmouth the week before you don’t lose any weight during your outdoor adventure.

We got sent to Maine for pre-com in Jan. Can confirm its a frozen wasteland. It's pretty decent in the summer tho.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Wonder Free posted:

Thanks man, appreciate the advice!

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Thanks man, appreciate the advice!

Basically, just do what they teach in the classroom phase. The only people that struggle are the idiots who try to turn it into some sort of competition. It's honestly probably some best conceived and executed training in the Navy. And you'll have some hilarious stories when it's all said and done.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/CavasShips/status/1024835798712180736

The Gator Navy is broken down; I am shocked, shocked I say :geno:

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I'm sure the surface fleet has totally reformed now after killing a few dozen sailors.

Haha just kiddin' SWOs have careers and stuff to worry about.

"They don't look tired to me"

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/CavasShips/status/1024835798712180736

The Gator Navy is broken down; I am shocked, shocked I say :geno:

BHR just rotated from 7th Fleet. Op tempo is very hard on ships in that AO. It's of surprise to no one that the ship needs work.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

What if we just...downsized 🤔

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Realistically, how old is to old to join the navy?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

CountFosco posted:

Realistically, how old is to old to join the navy?

39 for the reserves ( do eet) and 34 for the active branch.

You must also have a high tolerance for idiot man-children. I joined at 37 and get treated very well though. As a reservist my age blends in better and not much is expected of you at first.

Year 4 and still chugging along.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

I'm 34. Physically fit and I have a higher education behind me. Would it be unrealistic to waltz into a navy recruitment and say, hi, I've read Mahan's Influence of Sea Power, officer please? I sense that would be unrealistic.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

CountFosco posted:

I'm 34. Physically fit and I have a higher education behind me. Would it be unrealistic to waltz into a navy recruitment and say, hi, I've read Mahan's Influence of Sea Power, officer please? I sense that would be unrealistic.

I want you to imagine for a moment that your boss will be maybe 25 and very, very stupid. You will be trapped in this situation with no control of your life for a number of years. Are you certain this is what you want in life?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

CountFosco posted:

What is wrong with your life that makes you want to do this?

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

I'm not sure that I do want to do this, hence me asking questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

CountFosco posted:

I'm not sure that I do want to do this, hence me asking questions.

Why is it a consideration at all? What are you looking to get out of this, if you do it?