Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Edit for new page.

Jabor posted:

A faint breeze gusts across Psychotic Weasel's homeworld, rustling through the trees. If you listen closely, a faint voice can be heard -

STATUS QUO PEACE
You think after all that effort I'm just going to peace out like that!? No, we'll stay at war forever out of spite before that happens.

Plus, it's just easier to go after smaller claims at a time and avoid the whole mess; less influence spent on distant systems, shorter wars, fewer pissed off POPs to integrate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
To be clear: Status Quo means you get all your claims that you currently have occupied. If you've occupied every single one of your war goals, then congratulations, "status quo" means you get everything you want.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I'm also fairly certain that if you have literally 100% occupied an opponent the game auto-surrenders them, because I've had it happen once.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Voyager I posted:

I'm also fairly certain that if you have literally 100% occupied an opponent the game auto-surrenders them, because I've had it happen once.

This is true, I use it often, but if the defender has allies they won't surrender until every world and station of both of them is occupied.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Hmm, don't think the last person I ended up doing that to had any help. Or if they did they were unable to reach me or the person they were allied with. We just sat there, waiting for the war score to slowly tick up so I could peace out.

That was a while back though and I remember there being changes made to some wars. For total war or conquer you keep what you've occupied (assuming you had a claim on it in the case of conquer). For the subjugate goals it's supposed to break off the occupied systems assuming you have at least one planet or habitat occupied and put them into a new countru but I don't remember it doing that for me. Instead my opponent offered me status quo and everything went back to what it was before - I had no systems and they still had their independence. Could be that I missed something or there was another factor at play but I ended up having to reload a save then go back and force a surrender, not just truce. Pretty sure this was under the 2.1.1 patch though I don't remember if it was out of beta.

For other war goals I don't know what the Statis Quo does. It's much easier to achieve your goals under raising and humiliation.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Hmm, don't think the last person I ended up doing that to had any help. Or if they did they were unable to reach me or the person they were allied with. We just sat there, waiting for the war score to slowly tick up so I could peace out.

That was a while back though and I remember there being changes made to some wars. For total war or conquer you keep what you've occupied (assuming you had a claim on it in the case of conquer). For the subjugate goals it's supposed to break off the occupied systems assuming you have at least one planet or habitat occupied and put them into a new countru but I don't remember it doing that for me. Instead my opponent offered me status quo and everything went back to what it was before - I had no systems and they still had their independence. Could be that I missed something or there was another factor at play but I ended up having to reload a save then go back and force a surrender, not just truce. Pretty sure this was under the 2.1.1 patch though I don't remember if it was out of beta.

For other war goals I don't know what the Statis Quo does. It's much easier to achieve your goals under raising and humiliation.

I've also had this. I play on Ironman so I can't really just Status Quo out of the war and see what happens without it loving it over.
When you're a devourer or fighting a devourer of some kind it's absolutely fine but I just do not understand why it works the way it does sometimes (gives you the places you occupy) and not like that other times.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Taear posted:

When you're a devourer or fighting a devourer of some kind it's absolutely fine but I just do not understand why it works the way it does sometimes (gives you the places you occupy) and not like that other times.

Systems will be transferred that meet all of the following: you have it occupied, you have it claimed, you occupy any inhabited planets.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I have to admit, I'm enjoying being a space imperialist and conquering exclaves in order to expand my national gateway network. It makes me feel very patriotic.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I declared a subjugation war to vassalize a species and have captured / occupied all of their holdings, but when I sue for peace the game gives the original empire back one planetary system instead of eliminating them. Is this working as intended or a bug?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Lazyhound posted:

I declared a subjugation war to vassalize a species and have captured / occupied all of their holdings, but when I sue for peace the game gives the original empire back one planetary system instead of eliminating them. Is this working as intended or a bug?

You mean you get them as a vassal and the game recreates the old empire with one system? That is definitely weird. Maybe that system just rebelled like one day before the peace accord was signed and thus became its own space nation?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
If you got a status quo that's how it works. Not sure if it's WAD. If you actually won then that shouldn't happen.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Libluini posted:

You mean you get them as a vassal and the game recreates the old empire with one system? That is definitely weird. Maybe that system just rebelled like one day before the peace accord was signed and thus became its own space nation?

I guess this makes sense in a game where giant lizards fight sentient spores but everyone agrees upon predefined rules of war that are slavishly adhered to.

:smug: "Oh sorry, you were fighting a war of conquest against the hated the Lizard Empire. We're the New Lizard Empire you see so you have no beef with us and we'll ask you kindly to remove your armadas from our space."
:monocle: "poo poo, what are we going to do? I mean they changed their name and everything. Order the fleets back!"

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

GamingHyena posted:

I guess this makes sense in a game where giant lizards fight sentient spores but everyone agrees upon predefined rules of war that are slavishly adhered to.

:smug: "Oh sorry, you were fighting a war of conquest against the hated the Lizard Empire. We're the New Lizard Empire you see so you have no beef with us and we'll ask you kindly to remove your armadas from our space."
:monocle: "poo poo, what are we going to do? I mean they changed their name and everything. Order the fleets back!"

I would really enjoy a system that allows you to break truces or rules at a galaxy wide opinion penalty. A really big one.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
can you even break vassals off a hive mind?

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

can you even break vassals off a hive mind?

Probably. I had a determined exterminator as a vassal at one point (after robo-ascending). Unfortunately, actually integrating them resulted in all pops getting disassembled.
I suppose it works the same for bio hives.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Jabor posted:

To be clear: Status Quo means you get all your claims that you currently have occupied. If you've occupied every single one of your war goals, then congratulations, "status quo" means you get everything you want.

Yeah what's the point of actually forcing surrender? Seems like unless you're going for subjugation/humiliation then status quo peace is always straight up better.

Especially against multiple foes since you can just peace out and get everything you wanted from the war target.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Libluini posted:

Yeah, I had all 28 of their systems occupied (planets included), and after pushing Status Quo I ended up with 27 systems in a new vassal empire, with the old empire retaining one system. I’m pretty sure it’s a bug because nothing like this happened with the first species I steamrolled. I’m going to try reloading and playing around with it, maybe give them the system back and re-take it to see what happens. Incidentally, where can I see income from vassals?

I think one of my quest-lines is broken too. I got the Old Gods event, but the message won’t pop for the third shrine? Is there any way to fix that in console?

Staltran posted:

If you got a status quo that's how it works. Not sure if it's WAD. If you actually won then that shouldn't happen.

I literally can’t force surrender, as far as I can tell. I had them at 100% war fatigue and it only brought them to 0%.

e: one more question, is there any way to make my society phase-out robot labour without crashing my economy?

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 29, 2018

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Hunt11 posted:

There is no way to see in game as far as I know, but that is a really late time to have the end game not activate.

It's my first game and I pushed the midgame to 2400 and the end to 2600 because WHAT IF THE AI TRIGGERS END OF THE CYCLE?? then everyone with more than one planet went materialist. Now I'm thinking I might have gone 2600 and 2800 or something daft.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 29, 2018

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
The AI triggering End of the Cycle is such an unlikely event that even if it derailed an absolutely perfect game I would consider it a win, it's like seeing a unicorn. Hell, even being offered the choice myself I would take it just to see it play out, because who knows how many hundreds of hours it would take to see it again.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Much like how you can't trigger the End of the Cycle in Multiplayer, it wouldn't surprise me if the AI couldn't trigger the End of the Cycle. I'd love to be wrong, though.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Much like how you can't trigger the End of the Cycle in Multiplayer, it wouldn't surprise me if the AI couldn't trigger the End of the Cycle. I'd love to be wrong, though.
I thought the same, went to check, and actually, it looks like they can. No AI check that I can see.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is EotC not something you can just tech to by taking psionic ascension perks?

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 29, 2018

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Strudel Man posted:

I thought the same, went to check, and actually, it looks like they can. No AI check that I can see.

Can the AI interact with the Shroud? That the only way to trigger the EotC event.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Skippy McPants posted:

Can the AI interact with the Shroud? That the only way to trigger the EotC event.

I've yet to see the AI even show up with a Shroud Avatar.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Shumagorath posted:

Is EoS not something you can just tech to by taking psionic ascension perks?

No, the way psionic ascension works is that after taking both perks you gain the ability to contact the shroud every so often for a chance at a random bonus. This can be a psionic tech like shields or jump drive, a bonus to resource generation, or you can be offered the chance to make a 'covenant' with a shroud entity which gives you a temporary bonus in exchange for some eventual drawback. The End of the Cycle is a very rare covenant option, and covenants themselves are fairly rare, so it's probably a fraction of a percent chance overall when contacting the shroud. I've never seen it offered over several hundred hours of gameplay (granted most of that was not post-psionic ascension).

Skippy McPants posted:

They can. It's pretty rare for them to even pick up the second psionic ascension perk in my experience and most of the events are invisible to outsiders so it's hard to tell. The odds of the AI both attaining the ability to contact the shroud and then rolling the fractional chance for the end of the cycle, and then choosing to activate it, are so infinitesimally small that it's not worth worrying about. I can't find a single post or video from anyone online even claiming that it happened to them.

e: oh and I forgot to mention, since EotC doesn't count as a "true" endgame crisis, it's possible that moving the endgame slider doesn't affect it anyway. I'm unsure if it can be offered outside of the endgame or not but you can definitely get a regular crisis alongside EotC.

Gadzuko fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jul 29, 2018

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Related to my vassalization bug, I just noticed that they have two planets with the same name, one of which is the problem one.

Giving back and re-taking the system did nothing.

e: hahaha ok I tried putting a claim on the original planet before pushing for SQ and this time it gave them the other planet with the same name, it’s definitely related to that.

e2: I tried claiming both and it gave them back another random world, the game just doesn’t want to let them die for some reason.

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jul 29, 2018

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Gadzuko posted:

No, the way psionic ascension works is that after taking both perks you gain the ability to contact the shroud every so often for a chance at a random bonus. This can be a psionic tech like shields or jump drive, a bonus to resource generation, or you can be offered the chance to make a 'covenant' with a shroud entity which gives you a temporary bonus in exchange for some eventual drawback. The End of the Cycle is a very rare covenant option, and covenants themselves are fairly rare, so it's probably a fraction of a percent chance overall when contacting the shroud. I've never seen it offered over several hundred hours of gameplay (granted most of that was not post-psionic ascension).

They can. It's pretty rare for them to even pick up the second psionic ascension perk in my experience and most of the events are invisible to outsiders so it's hard to tell. The odds of the AI both attaining the ability to contact the shroud and then rolling the fractional chance for the end of the cycle, and then choosing to activate it, are so infinitesimally small that it's not worth worrying about. I can't find a single post or video from anyone online even claiming that it happened to them.

e: oh and I forgot to mention, since EotC doesn't count as a "true" endgame crisis, it's possible that moving the endgame slider doesn't affect it anyway. I'm unsure if it can be offered outside of the endgame or not but you can definitely get a regular crisis alongside EotC.

There is nothing in the event code that checks for AI/human on the covenant. The only check is to whether the game is multiplayer or not, as it's blocked from happening in multiplayer. There is also no check for date, so it's possible to get the EotC on the very first shroud trip.

Assuming the AI actually clicks through the shroud options, there is a 15.38% chance on any given shroud excursion to get offered a patron. When offered a patron, there is a 1.96% chance that the patron is the EotC (0% chance in multiplayer). If you already have a patron, you won't be offered a new one.

You could conceivably contact the shroud several hundred times and never be offered the EotC. I certainly haven't. If you want to see it happen just use the console to run event utopia.3308.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

binge crotching posted:

There is nothing in the event code that checks for AI/human on the covenant. The only check is to whether the game is multiplayer or not, as it's blocked from happening in multiplayer.

aka "no fun allowed".

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

What’s the reason for EotC not being in multiplayer?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

really queer Christmas posted:

What’s the reason for EotC not being in multiplayer?

Probably to stop the game being ended without anyone having control over it.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

So I started playing this. Are there any recommended UI/general quality of life mods I should get?

I like the game but visually it's pretty hard to read. The galaxy map in particular is kind of awkward, I feel like it's too hard to glance at it and see where all your ships are and what they're doing. I find myself constantly cycling through all my keybinded ships to check what they're up to, which is okay but there should be a better way.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Elman posted:

So I started playing this. Are there any recommended UI/general quality of life mods I should get?

I like the game but visually it's pretty hard to read. The galaxy map in particular is kind of awkward, I feel like it's too hard to glance at it and see where all your ships are and what they're doing. I find myself constantly cycling through all my keybinded ships to check what they're up to, which is okay but there should be a better way.

If you hold over them in the sidebar it will tell you what they're up to (so you don't end up with science ships just sat about)
What is it you're doing with them all that it's something you need a constant check for though?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1023531211417944065?s=19

Wiz is working on the weekend. I assume that means under Swedish law he's about to go to prison.

Wonder how planet management and sectors are going to overlap. If you're effectively deciding whether to focus a planet on resource extraction versus refinement, how is that handled at the sector rather tha empire level? Do you still have separate stockpiles for everything?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Taear posted:

What is it you're doing with them all that it's something you need a constant check for though?

Uh, anything? I mean autosurvey is fine, but if you tell them to do anything else they will finish their orders eventually and just sit idle, with no message, no notification to warn you of it. I shift queue orders of course, I just wish the game would tell you when they run out of stuff to do.

Elman fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jul 29, 2018

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Elman posted:

Uh, anything? I mean autosurvey is fine, but if you tell them to do anything else they will finish their orders eventually and just sit idle, with no message, no notification to warn you of it. I shift queue orders of course, I just wish the game would tell you when they run out of stuff to do.

On the sidebar when they're idle their picture changes to red and has a little "ZZZ" above it.
That's currently how you'd check.

I always have the civilian ships part of the sidebar open so it's hard to miss, as far as I'm aware there are no UI mods that give you anything beyond that.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I want a game speed above very fast

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Overclock your CPU.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I want a late game speed of fastest that actually runs as fast as early game fastest instead of at best early game normal

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

HYPERSPEED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Lazyhound posted:

This happened to me, too. It was extra weird because I occupied every single planet and system they had, but I still had -150 on achieving my war goals because it said I was claiming unoccupied systems and planets. I wasn't, I checked the entire galaxy and I had taken every single thing from them. So I went with status quo just to end the war and they got a system back :(