Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm not that super into 5th but I do have all the original EQ RPG game books.

Yeah I agree, and the area of biggest change would be the skills and feats section.
The problem is with DnD/5th having its day in the sun that is the best vehicle to give P99 offline a path forward.
I like the idea of characters gaining levels

I went through the whole EQRPG and made notes in each section of the major changes that need to be made.
Really what I most need is to find a way to convert 20 levels to 60 and make that match all the systems.
Then find a way to convert and update the monsters appropriately.

I was looking over the EF book and Perma is way larger/more complicated than on P99.
If I was doing the conversion I'd just use P99 as the reference for maps/mob/quest locations etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.
Handed out a bunch of officer status last night so hopefully invites are easier now.

Thanks again to aparmenideanmonad for helping me get my Monk, Dialectical, set up. He's already level 7 now.

Fun fact: I'm already getting port requests from people looking for Dial a Port.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

ChairmanMauzer posted:

Handed out a bunch of officer status last night so hopefully invites are easier now.

Thanks again to aparmenideanmonad for helping me get my Monk, Dialectical, set up. He's already level 7 now.

Fun fact: I'm already getting port requests from people looking for Dial a Port.

Go anon or roleplay. Only hang out in zones with rings. Wait for someone to send you a tell. Run up. Collect the money. FD at their feet. /q

Kuai
May 25, 2004
Is there an easy way to transfer gear to an iksar? a kind soul gave me a wus trance stick on my human monk but i think i might as well bite the bullet and reroll an iksar monk instead.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
I have a druid bound in FoB. Hit me up on discord or post your char names and when you'll be on in here and I'll get it there.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I'm duoing a new lizard warrior with a cleric buddy, if anyone missed the initial iksar rush definitely join up!

Kuai
May 25, 2004

aparmenideanmonad posted:

I have a druid bound in FoB. Hit me up on discord or post your char names and when you'll be on in here and I'll get it there.

my enchanter with all the gear i had is Kaiko and my new iksar monk is named Ffxi and im on right now and pretty free tomorrow at anytime

Kuai fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jun 29, 2018

Mantari
May 8, 2005
:D
Lipstick Apathy
Just got back from Erudsxing, these bad boys got me to level 19:

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

Mantari posted:

Just got back from Erudsxing, these bad boys got me to level 19:

Dwarf Cleric? Get your rear end to Unrest and never leave.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Did Seafuries get nerfed or something? Nobody's there anymore and I've only gotten one gem from 30 minutes or camping them.

FayGate
Oct 5, 2012

Nurfed

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
So I guess the new money makers are geos and the ever-popular hill giants?

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
The weirdest event I remember from live is some guy organized a Gnome run. He invited everyone on the server to roll a level 1 gnome and meet in the EC tunnels. People would volunteer for ports, etc. The objective was to get a few hundred gnomes together to run through Kith and Lavastorm and jump into the lava.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Inimicul posted:

The weirdest event I remember from live is some guy organized a Gnome run. He invited everyone on the server to roll a level 1 gnome and meet in the EC tunnels. People would volunteer for ports, etc. The objective was to get a few hundred gnomes together to run through Kith and Lavastorm and jump into the lava.

clearly it was a ritual sacrifice for one of the many UNSOLVED QUESTS.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk-Px2Bh-c0

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009
Has anyone heard of Velious armor quest mobs getting preloaded with gems just for screwing up MQ's?

I always thought it would be more of a thing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I think more fun than grinding hobbit levels as fast as possible would be a quest to end the one ring

Everybody starts level 1 and has to make it from rivervale to lavastorm mountains. First player to reach temple of Ro while still being level 1 wins.

Now that'd be a fun race :cheeky:

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe

Ramulack posted:

Has anyone heard of Velious armor quest mobs getting preloaded with gems just for screwing up MQ's?

I always thought it would be more of a thing.

It happens, it's why some people will kill the turn in mob and wait for a respawn, or an earthquake.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Someone in a euro tz should level up with my 27 shaman.

Pwnz0r
Sep 21, 2005
I can't remember to be sure, But I think name was Plisner? I searched back dozens, but it must be in the 30-50s maybe. The creator of Zliz EQ map, on http://www.zlizeq.com/Index for P99 and Al'Kabor. I figured you may not play anymore and checked the other ways of contacting you. Just in case you see this or read it still, or if anyone can get in contact with him please ask him if he can tell me how to update the map to function for Rise of Zek server. I don't know if his source needs a recompile and what has to be changed, or its a matter of the zone files .txt stuff #s that need to be changed. Would love to get this up and running on RoZ also, Many people I know still use it on P99 and noticed right away it wouldn't work on another server that wasn't listed.

If you use discord, you can find me on jupe#2072 probably. Otherwise just post back or check your contact email listed.

Anyone still playing on P99 red btw? i have a ton of toons just sitting inactive while almost 90% of red is over on RoZ. Apex is still the top guild, but I hear they are struggling to get #s for tunare and other stuff even with 2boxing that they are calling trakanon raids and venril sathir etc. Only mention it because on red if someone is, I have some port/buff bots that someone can use while im not using them(RED ONLY CHARS, -there are NONE on blue-) so at the very least you can rez people, port etc however you see fit. Most of them are all no drop gear or nothing worth stealing.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
It's Pilsner, and he used to post in the other EQ thread on the regular but looks like he hasn't since May. If you have plat you can probably PM him?

Pwnz0r
Sep 21, 2005
Unfortunately I do not visit SA forums often anymore, used to be a daily thing. But too much time spent doing other things lately gives me very little time to cruise forums and such. I was able to get in contact with him via email finally. Thanks though, I should look into upgrading though. All these years and I never changed avatar or anything.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Pwnz0r posted:

Unfortunately I do not visit SA forums often anymore, used to be a daily thing. But too much time spent doing other things lately gives me very little time to cruise forums and such. I was able to get in contact with him via email finally. Thanks though, I should look into upgrading though. All these years and I never changed avatar or anything.

there are people on here that will change your av for you :sun:

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

Thanks for the rez in Icewell. I forgot that I farmed dwarves for heads awhile ago on Orolin and was KOS still to Dain.

Foil
Apr 19, 2006
Now with more paranoia
I just started back here after a few years off and I am working on an Ogre Shaman named Gopt. I sold most of my monks gear and moved what ever I could over to this new Shaman so I am not in rags, but I am not uber twinked or anything. Anyone know any good places to solo at 20? I just left Oasis crocs because it was too slow and now I am on to killing in South Karana.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Aviaks in lake rathe are also good if you want outdoor easy spots. Unrest and upper guk are better xp/kill but tougher without a group, though groups are readily available, especially in unrest.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I did those levels in unrest/mistmoore and it was good. The trio of aviak guards atop their tower are great fodder to camp at work though. 6 min respawn, 1-2% each at your level

acidblue
Apr 30, 2005
nerdboy
How's the goon presence in this game? Is it worth starting from scratch right now?

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

acidblue posted:

How's the goon presence in this game? Is it worth starting from scratch right now?

Decent. Plenty of us will help you out to start. Send a tell to Sargon if you start up.

acidblue
Apr 30, 2005
nerdboy

Pratan posted:

Decent. Plenty of us will help you out to start. Send a tell to Sargon if you start up.

Sounds great! I installed last night, but will get on tonight or tomorrow. I知 sure population is low, so I have a feeling I値l be soloing. I ran a Mage in 1999, so I know they can solo well. How viable is a monk?

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

acidblue posted:

Sounds great! I installed last night, but will get on tonight or tomorrow. I知 sure population is low, so I have a feeling I値l be soloing. I ran a Mage in 1999, so I know they can solo well. How viable is a monk?

Melee classes as your first character are fairly difficult since they are very gear dependent. A caster can level up and earn his own keep much easier without needing all that much gear.

However, once you get started goons should be able to equip you with some half decent newbie gear, whatever you pick.

The very low levels are indeed scarcely populated, with people flocking to only a handful of zones to xp (generally because of a ZEM or abundance of mobs). There's a few leveling guilds around that you can probably set you on the right track, too.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

acidblue posted:

I知 sure population is low, so I have a feeling I値l be soloing.

if you stick to the "golden path" dungeons (Crushbone -> Unrest -> Mistmoore -> City of Mist) you'll be able to find a group no problem unless you have a euro play time.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

acidblue posted:

Sounds great! I installed last night, but will get on tonight or tomorrow. I’m sure population is low, so I have a feeling I’ll be soloing. I ran a Mage in 1999, so I know they can solo well. How viable is a monk?

I wouldn't call the population low. More, people have figured out the most efficient ways to level and everyone knows everything about the game, so people are less likely to stray off a certain leveling path without some planned grouping.

I enjoyed playing P99, but stopped because it looked like the endgame was grinding plat to get things that I wanted OR having to break into the overly toxic raiding community. But there's still a lot of good fun you can have with the leveling experience.

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
Qeynos is a fun starting city with lots of quests so good xp and plat for a human monk who wants more off the beaten path of Freeport monk

Cabilis is great starting spot for iksar of any class. Not as much plat but you will fill your bank with bone chips

I think 1-50 is pretty fun on p99 and at 50+ you need to find people who play around your play time; so a guild, a discord channel, or just people on your /friends list is how you will do most of your grouping. You could be one of the people that sit in seb or KC and spam /ooc that you are lfg and you might get a group in 5 minutes or wait over an hour for a random group to have a spot for your class type. I find it easier to make your own group and make your own path in a dungeon then to sit LFG at the zoneline.

want to save yourself from trains? just skip KC, make groups to go to efferti or LDCs in solb, the hole is great xp and has lots of room for multiple groups, and if nothing else I always like farming the 1 minute cycle of mobs in Skyfire. Near the burning woods zoneline there is a cycle of mobs that can have "named" drakes/wurms/chromos that can drop kunark spells. Once you find the named or PH and kill it, another one in the cycle will spawn 1 minute after the last died. So a dou or trio or even a full group can hold down that cycle and try for spells. Just killing dark blue mobs in skyfire is pretty ok xp 50+.

Velks and Howling Stone are some of the top end dungeons of kunark/velious and if things go bad, you might need to dish out some plat for a necro to summon your corpse. Those zones can be high risk and high reward

acidblue
Apr 30, 2005
nerdboy
I ended up rolling an Iksar Necro, so I知 in Lizard town. I just hit level 3 this morning, but I値l find somebody to duo with to pass the time. I heard I can level most of the way without ever leaving the continent. I値l reach out to somebody in the guild this evening to see if I can join you all.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
Fun Shoe
I got my white dragon scale yesterday morning so my dream of having a tooty sword will hopefully come true soon.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I rolled a Human Necro recently. Up to level 20 from soloing.

Necros are pretty fun. A lot of tools in the tool box. I dunno how desired I'd be for groups but I almost don't care because I can solo so easily. I know Iksar is way better but I wanted to do the Qeynos area. And it's fuckin metal how my guild is in a sewer. Human Necros own.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jul 30, 2018

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I'm split between Iksar Necro because sweet sweet regen and Dark Elf Necro because Neriak is boss

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
iksar necro & monk is a lot harder choice than shadow knight, warrior, or shaman as far as race.

you are paying in xp for a benefit package of AC, regen, infravision, & forage

You want the very best necro or monk for the price of spending more time leveling. If you enjoy the grind, and why wouldn't you, then a little xp is no big deal. If you do not care about stats or gear and just want to level, go to more places more freely (ie. only have to invs past some guards and FD to bank) then human is a fine choice.

my usual kunark pass thru:
Field of bone to 8ish or so, Kurns till 20, Warsilk Woods (giant fort and then later the brute cave) till 30, LOIO (goblins or sarnaks) or FV (I liked soloing roamers by the swamp of no hope zoneline) till 35, Dreadlands till 40ish (yeti caves)

run all your iksar newbie quests till the end. My shadow knight has a Lord of Pain's Kurki just waiting for greenmist to come out

No Luck Needed fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I mostly picked Human because I wanted to do the Qeynos area and also just to be different too. Everyone goes Iksar Necro. I like doing weird rarely seen combinations. I don't much care about power since I doubt I'll ever raid. Just trying to relax and enjoy the character.

The leveling faster is a nice perk though that I think sometimes gets overlooked. Iksars are gonna level 20% slower which is a lot. Now granted, maybe that balances out a little bit since regen gives them less down time than a non Iksar. But I imagine the Human even with that disadvantage still hits 60 faster assuming both leveled in the same conditions.