Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is the whole "democratisation of the Force" thing supposed to mean that anyone can learn to use it? I'm not sure what the position is about the whole "you have to be Force-sensitive and not everybody is, so not everyone can use the Force" angle now because I think that was mostly in the old EU. Or is it like Donnie Yen where it's not clear if he has the ability to "use" the Force the way the Jedi do, but he trusts the Force and it uses him?

Like, are there still Force muggles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soulfulspinster
Aug 2, 2012

I would pay good money to see the Franco Prussian war retold with blasters and hyperspace.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Harime Nui posted:

I would pay the big bucks to see a Hutt "defense fleet" consisting of the galactic equivalent of technicals (.50 cal guns mounted on Ford trucks), suicide torpedo-ships, and stripped-down frigates intended only to ram and board VS the actual military forces.

Which is the tragedy of these sequel movies---the 'main story' ones will never give us, say, a Nemoidian robo-battleship that breaks apart into a swarm of drone fighters and reassembles mid-fight, or a Mon Cal "fleet" of interconnected modular craft which looks like a giant twisting and fighting coral reef, or something like that.

Technicals are toyotas ignorant binch

soulfulspinster
Aug 2, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is the whole "democratisation of the Force" thing supposed to mean that anyone can learn to use it? I'm not sure what the position is about the whole "you have to be Force-sensitive and not everybody is, so not everyone can use the Force" angle now because I think that was mostly in the old EU.

Like, are there still Force muggles?

Wasn't that always vague, I mean the Yuuz had this whole thing of committing genocide to rid the galaxy of its psychic presence before their god or some such but that's legends and it double doesn't count now.

Although, its often shown that the difference between a force user and just a person being really good at something (like piloting) has been that the force use intentionally draws on the force for strength. We see this repeated in how Yoda trains Luke in ESB.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Kylo Ren is the Martin Luther to Vader’s Jan Hus. He was even burned at the stake like Jan Hus was too!

Rey is John Calvin aka the guy who doesn’t quite get it. Chewie is Philip Melanchthon.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
There was even an Anabaptist named Anneken Hendricks who was killed by fire for her apostasy. Sounds familiar.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Bongo Bill posted:

I just wanted to post about Star Wars. Things were going so well. Why is this happening?

This may be the best this thread has ever been lol

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The 1978 super robot anime Daitarn 3 has an episode where an evil film director decides to kill the hero of that show by tricking him into starring in a snuff film remake of Star Wars. James Dean is also involved in the fictional remake somehow, for some reason.

My question is this: How do we make this hypothetical remake a reality?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You need a CGI version of James Dean, for starters.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I'm pretty sure Tatooine got renamed to Jakku after it was found out that planet namesake Derge Tatooine was a racist who owned slaves and was alleged of sexual misconduct by numerous Trandoshan women on Canto Bight.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

My favourite thing about this latest thread argument is that "Tatooine is Jakku" is possibly the most straightforward and easy to understand thing that SMG has ever posted.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

And if you look carefully, you can see the jokes and sarcasm fly high over everyone's heads

It's pretty impressive, all things considered

I notice we also have yet another brunette woman on the cast, so I see Disney's still pushing that particular angle

Expect lots of focus for her

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

cargohills posted:

My favourite thing about this latest thread argument is that "Tatooine is Jakku" is possibly the most straightforward and easy to understand thing that SMG has ever posted.

....except he's arguing not that the planets share thematic connections, but that Jakku is literally the planet Tatooine that has been renamed. That's not "straightforward and easy to understand". That's literally a substanceless lie.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

jivjov posted:

....except he's arguing not that the planets share thematic connections, but that Jakku is literally the planet Tatooine that has been renamed. That's not "straightforward and easy to understand". That's literally a substanceless lie.

But Tatooine and Jakku don't exist, they're just thematic ideas that serve the exact same narrative purpose. They're literally the same place - it's kinda weird that you can't understand this.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

soulfulspinster posted:

I would pay good money to see the Franco Prussian war retold with blasters and hyperspace.

My friend, have you not seen Legend of the Galactic Heroes?

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Why do we still need Maz Kanata at this point. Why do we need Lando. I thought we had cleared the path for the main characters to have their own movie. Poor Carrie is going to round out the trilogy wearing that gas station attendant outfit

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

glad she is dead posted:

But Tatooine and Jakku don't exist, they're just thematic ideas that serve the exact same narrative purpose. They're literally the same place - it's kinda weird that you can't understand this.

In the context of the Star Wars universe, they exist as separate planets. Yes, it's a fictional universe, but nowhere in the fictional universe is it ever established that the planet Tatooine is renamed to Jakku.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

jivjov posted:

In the context of the Star Wars universe, they exist as separate planets. Yes, it's a fictional universe, but nowhere in the fictional universe is it ever established that the planet Tatooine is renamed to Jakku.

There is no Star Wars Universe.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

There is no Star Wars Universe.

Then in what setting do the Star Wars films, novels, and comics take place? Why is there a Story Group? Why have sequels? There clearly is a consistent universe all those stories take place in.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

jivjov posted:

Then in what setting do the Star Wars films, novels, and comics take place? Why is there a Story Group? Why have sequels? There clearly is a consistent universe all those stories take place in.

The design of many (but not all) Star Wars-branded works are coordinated with an aim of creating an illusion of such a place.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Maz and Obi-Wan are both guides who call the protagonist to action. They are literally the same character.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The real reason that Jakku and Tatooine are different planets is because scenes taking place there were filmed in different locations. However, those different locations are on the same planet. Hm.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

jivjov posted:

Then in what setting do the Star Wars films, novels, and comics take place?

An entirely fictional one. Explaining how two functionally identical made up settings are technically different is irrelevant next to why they're actually different.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

jivjov posted:

What setting do Heir to the Empire, the Yuuzhan Vong poo poo, etc. take place in

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

PostNouveau posted:

Maz and Obi-Wan are both guides who call the protagonist to action. They are literally the same character.

No. There are significant differences. Maz believes wholeheartedly in the Holy Spirit, and tries to utilise it to spur a troubled child into action, while Obi-Wan instead chooses to become the Holy Spirit to do the same.

They are Practice vs. Preach.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Pablo Nergigante posted:

What setting do Heir to the Empire, the Yuuzhan Vong poo poo, etc. take place in

The Star Wars Universe (Legends Continuity), why?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

sassassin posted:

No. There are significant differences. Maz believes wholeheartedly in the Holy Spirit, and tries to utilise it to spur a troubled child into action, while Obi-Wan instead chooses to become the Holy Spirit to do the same.

They are Practice vs. Preach.

Whootpy doo. There's like towns and agriculture on Tattooine and none on Jakku, but we all know those are the literally the same.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

jivjov posted:

The Star Wars Universe (Legends Continuity), why?

This is why people think you’re a gimmick. You’re acting willfully dense towards these things. Have some self awareness.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

This is why people think you’re a gimmick. You’re acting willfully dense towards these things. Have some self awareness.

Is self awareness canon?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

AndyElusive posted:

Is self awareness canon?

Episode 8 definitively makes fourth wall jokes canonical to (main line) Star Wars.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

AndyElusive posted:

Is self awareness canon?

The ability to post does not make one self aware.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Ok, so let’s change the topic from Jakku/Tatooine to another mystery: what was the location of the New Jedi temple/training camp where Luke plotted to murder his nephew?

The films provide several clues, centered around the mysterious robot R2-D2.

The last time we see Luke and R2 together is when the temple burnt down. R2 then ended up in storage in the Resistance base, playing dead, with a map in his memory. That map very clearly has a chunk ripped out of it, like with Kamino in Episode 2. Who tore up the map? Obviously it was R2, helping Luke to stay hidden.

So it’s rather clear that Luke jumped into an old x-wing by himself, leaving R2 behind. Leia came to check on Luke and found the ‘comatose’ R2 in the temple wreckage.

Fast forward a few decades and the Luke-worshipping cult finds the missing chunk of the map. R2 didn’t delete it; he cut-and-pasted it onto a USB key, and left it behind.

So, yes, you guessed it: Luke built his temple on Jakku - AKA Tatooine. Max Von Sydow and his group were there to do an excavation, digging up the temple remains buried in the sand.

Now, you may object that Luke’s temple was in a grassy area - but Canto Bight shows that, if you have the money, you can get the water to grow grass in the desert. Mystery solved!

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 28, 2018

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

Dozens of very creative people worked on these films. If Jakku is a different place, why does it look so much like Tatooine?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

It was a very calculated decision to make Jakku similar to Tatooine.

Same deal with Takodana evoking The Moon of Endor and Starkiller Base being a snow covered planet like Hoth.

There's literally nothing to argue, they're planets that were created to remind watchers of those three specific biomes and fictional locations in the Star Wars universe.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's like poetry; it rhymes.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

It's like poetry; it rhymes.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Ok, so let’s change the topic from Jakku/Tatooine to another mystery: what was the location of the New Jedi temple/training camp where Luke plotted to murder his nephew?

The films provide several clues, centered around the mysterious robot R2-D2.

The last time we see Luke and R2 together is when the temple burnt down. R2 then ended up in storage in the Resistance base, playing dead, with a map in his memory. That map very clearly has a chunk ripped out of it, like with Kamino in Episode 2. Who tore up the map? Obviously it was R2, helping Luke to stay hidden.

So it’s rather clear that Luke jumped into an old x-wing by himself, leaving R2 behind. Leia came to check on Luke and found the ‘comatose’ R2 in the temple wreckage.

Fast forward a few decades and the Luke-worshipping cult finds the missing chunk of the map. R2 didn’t delete it; he cut-and-pasted it onto a USB key, and left it behind.

So, yes, you guessed it: Luke built his temple on Jakku - AKA Tatooine. Max Von Sydow and his group were there to do an excavation, digging up the temple remains buried in the sand.

Now, you may object that Luke’s temple was in a grassy area - but Canto Bight shows that, if you have the money, you can get the water to grow grass in the desert. Mystery solved!

I dunno about the excavation idea, but I can dig it.

(No pun intended).

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Hodgepodge posted:

I dunno about the excavation idea, but I can dig it.

(No pun intended).

How dare you post something like that without intending a pun. Own your puns. Take pride in them.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!
Also, here is the soundtrack to the last few dozen pages of the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Didn’t the training centers buildings evoke the first Temple village ?