Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

blizzardvizard posted:

Overexertion took Pugilists from a versatile CC/damage dealer class into... all that, still, but who can also give out the best damage buff in the game.

I'm sad to see Overexertion go in EOX, but Pugilist's kit was incredibly flexible and possibly busted in EO5. It was probably the best class there.

Highlander still has Bloody Offense, at least, which is about the same except row-target. Assuming you squeezed a highlander into your party somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

RegalStar posted:

I disliked Echo Library far more than Golden Lair, which I'm ambivalent on.

I found both obnoxious. Made worse by Stratum 5 involving a return to both. :argh:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Yukari posted:

Planning to play EO3 again with Hoplite, Zodiac, Arbalist, Ninja, Monk as per request. Who do I put in the front lines before Arbalist actually gets to front mortar?

Bit of an odd party, especially since Arbalist can't front line right off the bat. But Monk is totally capable of front lining since they have decent defenses. Ninjas can also front line for the 1st Stratum, even if it isn't the best place for them. But they're kings of the early-game, so you'll probably be fine either way. You're gonna wanna watch out for Great Lynxes, though. They can shred anyone who isn't the Hoplite, so Provoke and Line Guard is a must have for the early-game to protect the squisher classes.

EDIT: Hey, wait a minute... :thunk:

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Dr. Fetus posted:

Bit of an odd party, especially since Arbalist can't front line right off the bat. But Monk is totally capable of front lining since they have decent defenses. Ninjas can also front line for the 1st Stratum, even if it isn't the best place for them. But they're kings of the early-game, so you'll probably be fine either way. You're gonna wanna watch out for Great Lynxes, though. They can shred anyone who isn't the Hoplite, so Provoke and Line Guard is a must have for the early-game to protect the squisher classes.

EDIT: Hey, wait a minute... :thunk:

Basically I said that I'm most definitely running Hoplite and Monk, because they were basically the defensive backbone of my WM parties and well... probably the best 2 combinations in the game. Friend always used a Ninja, and she also really wanted to see Arbalist used properly because she's never really used one before. And so I just picked Zodiac for last slot since I happened to like those as well, and Etheric charged hellfires were amazing in the first party I ever used (HNBZP).

...wait a minute, wasn't this your first party?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yukari posted:

Basically I said that I'm most definitely running Hoplite and Monk, because they were basically the defensive backbone of my WM parties and well... probably the best 2 combinations in the game. Friend always used a Ninja, and she also really wanted to see Arbalist used properly because she's never really used one before. And so I just picked Zodiac for last slot since I happened to like those as well, and Etheric charged hellfires were amazing in the first party I ever used (HNBZP).

...wait a minute, wasn't this your first party?

Almost, but not quite. I used a Princess instead of a Monk, so it was easier to fit in 2 front liners there. Still got through the game fine enough, since the Princess' passive healing was fantastic for the early-game, and their healing capabilities are serviceable enough later on with a Monk subclass.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0T_zIR9m60

EO's continuing past the 3DS. Probably.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Twitter thread from the official Etrian Odyssey twitter:

https://twitter.com/SQ_kouhou/status/1023197540324278272

Komori is thanking people for supporting the series and brought up that the emphasis on "last game for the 3DS" was deliberate. Because the series is still living on. A teaser video was released of the next game (Yeah, it's already in the works.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0T_zIR9m60

It has silhouettes of new classes. They didn't say what platform the game would come out on. Just that it was in the works.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
map drawing tho???

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

holy poo poo yes

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Tired Moritz posted:

map drawing tho???

as everyone knows there is literally no way to draw a map without a 3ds stylus, even on touch screens such as the switch has

in fact, we no longer even know of tools that function like it in any format anymore. its curious shape hints at something primitive and our monkey brains remember dead trees, but what it means we no longer know

in before Etrian Switch just comes with a pad of paper and a pencil as their pack in bonus for buying a new instead of used copy

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

BlondRobin posted:

as everyone knows there is literally no way to draw a map without a 3ds stylus, even on touch screens such as the switch has

in fact, we no longer even know of tools that function like it in any format anymore. its curious shape hints at something primitive and our monkey brains remember dead trees, but what it means we no longer know

in before Etrian Switch just comes with a pad of paper and a pencil as their pack in bonus for buying a new instead of used copy

Docked mode. Touch screen doesn't matter there.

I don't disagree with your points, but the weird condescension is a bit much.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
i will draw a map with a controller if I have to

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012
Considering no other (current) console has a secondary screen to dedicate to the map, the system is definitely going to change somewhat. And since the Switch's touchscreen only works when it's not docked, and unlike the DS, is capacitive and expects you to use your finger, I would expect map drawing not to be mandatory. Maybe they'll just have a hyper-competent auto map with a larger radius that can fill in shortcuts, gather points, and stairs for you?

This might be the only game that could have worked better on the WiiU, geez.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Docked mode. Touch screen doesn't matter there.

I don't disagree with your points, but the weird condescension is a bit much.

People have been treating the death of the 3ds as the death of the etrian series for essentially no reason, so actually, I don’t think so. There are a million ways to replicate a map drawing function without both a second screen and a physical stylus.

I am being condescending because it’s a very childish attitude; “thing probably changed at all so I hate it before I have ever seen it” and as both a person in gaming and a person who likes the etrian series and would like to see it continue it really bothers me how many people in posts before, at least, seem ready to write off the series before even seeing what solutions Atlus has come up with for a problem that any one could see is going to be an important part of how this series moves on.

“I have and continue to like these games from a trusted developer and they have been consistently increasing in quality, this is why i know this major change is insurmountable and everything is already over” ? It’d be a different story if this was coming from a developer with a bad reputation for development issues, but the jaded preconception is a bit much for me. I am sorry, though. Shouldn’t have snapped at people here.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
i only play the game for the map drawing

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Okay but: are we not going to talk about how the tone of that teaser was more than just a bit grim compared to some other recent entries

"Etrian Odyssey isn't dead!"

*open with gravestones and ominous mist, cue the music, the music turns into a heartbeat*

Komori: "DEATH IS ONLY THE BEGINNING"

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

theshim posted:

Farmer: :getin:

They have a single offensive skill. A bunch of fantastic utility, but they have a single offensive skill. And it's Master-tier.

I dunno about this one, guys...

What I'm hearing is, "it's possible".

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

If EO comes to the Switch, then I won't need a modded system to record it, booyah!

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
They need to make a joycon grip with a touch screen in the middle and a stylus :3:

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
And a stick hanging out the middle like an N64 controller

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
And it should have a built-in AR anime girlfriend

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I am desperately hoping for some kind of multiplat title. Lemme draw maps with mouse and keyboard on PC, they'll be so clean and detailed with typed notes and everything! :negative:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

SpaceDrake posted:

Okay but: are we not going to talk about how the tone of that teaser was more than just a bit grim compared to some other recent entries

"Etrian Odyssey isn't dead!"

*open with gravestones and ominous mist, cue the music, the music turns into a heartbeat*

Komori: "DEATH IS ONLY THE BEGINNING"

i mean, how many times have you died in etrian odyssey?

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Two analog sticks and a d-pad seem like enough to come up with a system of movement for map drawing and traversing the dungeon

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Alternatively, they could try using Captain Toad's method to replace the touchscreen aspect for docked mode, where you had to use a gyro controlled cursor in place of your finger. :v:

https://twitter.com/DrKeithFetus/status/1018670707683688448

Yes, it's exactly as bad as it sounds. :gonk:

Minrad posted:

I am desperately hoping for some kind of multiplat title. Lemme draw maps with mouse and keyboard on PC, they'll be so clean and detailed with typed notes and everything! :negative:

Doesn't seem like it's happening. One of the business Twitter accounts for Nintendo retweeted the Etrian Odyssey video. However, the equivalent Playstation account did not do the same thing.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

It'll be a F2P mobile game and they'll make an absolute killing selling map options, because of course you'll drop $1 on a new tile colour, be honest.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
I kinda suspect any future non-3DS EO is going to handle the walls and floors for you and manual intervention will mostly be for adding markers and annotations about points of interest, since that's already the way the past couple of games were going with the optional automapping functions anyway. Maybe this is a failure of my own imagination, but I think any non-stylus method for manually drawing all the walls would get obnoxious fast.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Anyone have any advice for grinding exp and money in the 4th stratum of EO5? I'm playing with my party composition (my old one was feeling too frail, so I'm training up a Dragoon, and I probably want to rest a couple of my dudes, too), so right now I have a couple party members in the low 30s, which is not cutting it on floor 20. Is the best way to gain levels to just beat up the stratum 3 boss over and over? I guess I should also finish up some quests, they give out pretty good exp.

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

ShadeofBlue posted:

Anyone have any advice for grinding exp and money in the 4th stratum of EO5? I'm playing with my party composition (my old one was feeling too frail, so I'm training up a Dragoon, and I probably want to rest a couple of my dudes, too), so right now I have a couple party members in the low 30s, which is not cutting it on floor 20. Is the best way to gain levels to just beat up the stratum 3 boss over and over? I guess I should also finish up some quests, they give out pretty good exp.

Buy the exp / money DLCs, obviously!

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

ShadeofBlue posted:

Anyone have any advice for grinding exp and money in the 4th stratum of EO5?

The grinding DLC would be the fastest way - the accessory it gives tripples of XP of your party and the quest reward gives a massive amount of XP that scales with your progress.

If you don't want that, things get a bit more complicated:
Press on to 17F. There is a secret area accessable in the northeast. In the northeastern corner of this area is a set of stairs back down to 16F. There you can find the Master Key behind a few FOE puzzles if you take the northern path.
This will open all the locked doors in the labyrinth.

On 3F is the locked entrance to a large secret area with honestly pretty annoying enemies (especially if you have no arm-binds and not all that much healing).
But once you get through that massive puzzle in there you will get... the Training Orb.

If anyone in your party wears the Training Orb everyone will get their level as XP for every single step they take. However since you can not level up on the field you can only fill the XP bar of your current level so you still need to fight a battle for to get to the next level.
But it majorly increases your grinding speed.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
If you have a Necromancer, instakilling the worm FOEs with Zombie Powder is also an effective way to level, although it can take quite a few tries to make it stick.

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016
According to the Landsknecht preview, links will be able to trigger 4 times before Improved Link, and up to 9 times afterwards (with level 4 Improved Link).

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

RegalStar posted:

According to the Landsknecht preview, links will be able to trigger 4 times before Improved Link, and up to 9 times afterwards (with level 4 Improved Link).

I missed you, Linksknecht. :stwoon:

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

God bless Linksknecht

So looking at that information skill information I think my team is gonna be Landsknecht, Pugilist, Zodiac, Arcanist, and... War Magus, maybe? Highlander? The fifth slot is still open

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012
So, from what I'm seeing, a Shogun could be a really nice companion to a Linksknecht, for two reasons- Five Ring Sword and Fore Honor. Five Ring Sword could potentially trigger as many links as the 'knecht can put out, while Fore Honor is functionally the same as Vanguard, meaning you can get him set up for optimal linking after a single turn instead of two. And unless I'm misreading the description on Five Ring Sword, it counts as a "weapon attack" so you could use elemental Arms or Oils to maximize damage to an enemy's elemental weakness. Top it off with Landy's proficiency buffing the over-all damage, and Link Mastery / Felling Bird making the damage go up with every hit...

Or, you could just pop Warrior Might and have the other three land as many attacks as possible, for double the extra attacks.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
I'm kinda hoping that this might mean Nintendo is working on an Apple Pencil-Esque stylus for the switch. Which if that's the case would probably have art academy and Mario maker as the killer apps.

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

Ohtsam posted:

I'm kinda hoping that this might mean Nintendo is working on an Apple Pencil-Esque stylus for the switch. Which if that's the case would probably have art academy and Mario maker as the killer apps.

I don't know that the Switch has the hardware to support something like the Apple Pencil, but any run-of-the-mill capacitive stylus works just fine. I've been using one to browse the shop so I don't have to clean the screen as often.

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016
So, Imperial preview.

-Assault Drive costs 40 TP at max(?) level
-Elemental Drives cost 50 TP at max(?) level
-Intercooler can only reduce drive cooldown by up to 2 turns
-but Heat Sink can reduce it by up to 4 turns at max level

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Those sure are some TP costs :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

theshim posted:

Those sure are some TP costs :stare:

Does zodiacs still get dark ether?