Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
anyone playing on Louisoix? thinking about transferring my guy to Omega, if possible :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I'm glad we're on this topic because I just re-subbed and I want to get my non-CUL crafters to 50. Is it still just best to do daily GC turn-ins if I want to take it slow, and if I'm grinding go for leves?

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

A brave soul took me up on my offer to decorate houses. Dqua D'eugor hired me on to decorate a Goblet cottage to make it feel like a home. With that as my prompt, I was basically let loose.
I forgot to actually take a Before picture, but it was basically:

There were a few furniture pieces from retainers and a a crafty friend, but the house was a blank slate.

Here's what the house looks like now:

There's an album with a few more shots here: https://imgur.com/a/FtT9Ckf
Or visit Excal Goblet 13, Plot 53 and shitpost in Dqua's message book.
The end cost for Dqua was just under 2 million.

If you have an Excalibur house you want me to work on, lemme know. Send a tell to Rosineaux Montevere in-game, PM me here, or send an email to rhogasa@gmail.com

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Safeword posted:

Send help. The Ifrit fight awaits but I'm swinging a toy bloody hammer at Moogles in the Golden Saucer.

Make sure to do the fashion report. You probably can't really aim for a 80 score or above but the trick is that you get 10k MGP for participating.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Chakan posted:

I'm glad we're on this topic because I just re-subbed and I want to get my non-CUL crafters to 50. Is it still just best to do daily GC turn-ins if I want to take it slow, and if I'm grinding go for leves?

GC turn ins and Ixal dailies are the most cost/time efficient way to slowly level up your crafters. It's seriously worth it to take a look to have levekits made for you for the 15-50 DOH grind, it's only maybe 500-750k worth of gil in terms of mats to just slam past all of the grind and use up ~60-70 leves. The 50-60 and 60-70 isn't nearly as punishing as the 15-50 leveling curve is. Not to mention, since we're in-between patches right now, the market boards should be quite favorable for SB turn ins. The revamp of 50-60 makes it a complete and total joke (note: never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever do the grand leve or whatever they call it that takes up 10 leves).

The moogle beast tribes are worth it for the mount when you get into HW crafting, the namazu are DEFINITELY worth it. You have options, but the 15-50 grind is incredibly real and might be the only time where you actually care about your leve allowance. Going from memory, if you don't do class quests for SB, you can stop turning in leves at 68 and 1/3 and the quest XP will take you to 70.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So I ended up getting that Logictech g600 MMO mouse Can anyone offer some binding tips for it? I'm a little unsure of how to get the most out of it

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

You gain 3008200 marauder experience points.
You attain level 70!
You earn the achievement An Axe to Grind VII!
You earn the achievement Mastering War III!
You earn the achievement A Life of Adventure III!

And with that, I have no reason to ever touch a combat job that isn't SMN or SCH ever again! At least until 5.0. :toot:

...time to do a bunch of WAR/MNK/BLM/crafter job quests I've been putting off. Like, the Stormblood quest lines for the first two, a couple of BLM ones that I kinda forgot about, and uh, dozens of crafting ones. :negative:

edit: https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/92eqrb/small_note_to_all_aggressive_tanks_from_a_healer/

Good to see someone else enjoys healing as much as I do.

nice glamor :)

i just hit 70 on WAR the other night too. still need to figure out what to do for clothes. leaning towards "none"

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

rhoga posted:

A brave soul took me up on my offer to decorate houses. Dqua D'eugor hired me on to decorate a Goblet cottage to make it feel like a home. With that as my prompt, I was basically let loose.

There were a few furniture pieces from retainers and a a crafty friend, but the house was a blank slate.

If you have an Excalibur house you want me to work on, lemme know. Send a tell to Rosineaux Montevere in-game, PM me here, or send an email to rhogasa@gmail.com

As someone who used to own an empty Goblet cottage, it's crazy seeing what you've done with the space. Really nice work!

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

ImpAtom posted:

So I ended up getting that Logictech g600 MMO mouse Can anyone offer some binding tips for it? I'm a little unsure of how to get the most out of it

Personally I have my hotbars as 3 stacked rows, with shift and then ctrl as the modifiers for the lower two. The G600 handles the right side of it. I also have the first and last columns bound to Q/E and the modifiers as appropriate. The G-shift feature can let you do even crazier stuff with it but I didn't want to bother with that much effort.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ImpAtom posted:

I've had one for a while and I never really bothered binding it until like last week. Feel free to ignore the G-Shift (the third mouse button your ring finger sits on) because I find it weird to hold that down to hit Ctrl when I could just use my left pinky instead.

One thing I did remap that I've yet to really test in high-stress environments is party member selection scrolling up and down with pressing the scroll wheel to the left or right. It's a little clunky but still faster than clicking for healing.

The main reason I use it is that it just makes it dirt simple to hit all 12 buttons, but in terms of remapping I prefer to just set hotkeys for my more commonly used skills.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That all makes sense. I guess I just need to get used to muscle memorizing new bindings. I can see how it'd be useful (and to be honest I like being able to hold down a button instead of mashing it for stuff like Heavy Shot) but I'm so used to my lazy setup!

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
I've got my HUD looking pretty good now, AI think. I want to work on some macros - is there a beginner's guide to these things?

Argas posted:

Make sure to do the fashion report. You probably can't really aim for a 80 score or above but the trick is that you get 10k MGP for participating.

Yeah I found that poking around. Got 78 points with my steel armour and eyepatch alone, haha.

I am hella PEEVED posted:

We understand, the call for the bunny chief outfit is strong.

The what now

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Safeword posted:

The what now

https://ffxiv.eorzeacollection.com/gearset/bunny-chief

Wearable by both men and women.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I tried tanking as new Dark Knight. It was...very shaky, though we completed the dungeon (Hauke's Manor).

One thing I was unsure about is whether I should be switching between targets as I do my combo against, say, 3-4 enemies (and also if I should be throwing in that 50 potency AoE sometimes). Because I was paranoid about losing aggro, I would just tab between targets as I used my enmity skills.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Here's the short version.

Turn on Darkside and never shut it off ever. Turn on Grit, leave it on for trash. Dive into the middle of the pack, do an Unleash or two, and you have their interest basically forever. Once you get your legs under you and are confident enough in using cooldowns and junk, it's basically "dive into group, Unleash, move to next group and Unleash, repeat until you've got all you can handle or there's nothing left to grab," but walk before you run, you know?

But in a group, just pop off Unleash twice, three times if you're worried, and you have essentially grabbed every motherfucker by the face, and you built up so much hate that they'll die before anybody majorly threatens your #1 spot on the hate list.

For bosses, do an aggro combo or two, then shut off Grit so you can pop Blood Weapon for more damage. I'd say "do your DPS combo" but you don't have a DPS combo until 38, when you get Soul Eater, but the point is you won't have to worry about incoming damage or losing aggro when dealing with a single boss at those levels. Remember, Paladins used to have to tank this poo poo with no tank stance.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

ImpAtom posted:

I strongly recommend unbinding G-shift from the pinky button and binding it to just be ctrl, shift or whatever modifier you want. Then with the thumb pad doing a full hotbasr you can cover two entire hotbars worth of abilities with just your mouse.

The reason I recommend not using G-shift which would have the exact same effect is that I discovered that my G600 would sometimes stick in G-shift mode and would lock me out of using my normal hotbar completely (even on the keyboard) until I unplugged the mouse and plugged it back in, and I've heard of this happening to other people. I changed it to be just bound to ctrl (which meant that my keypresses were unchanged) after several wipes doing T9 way back when, and it never happened again.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MechaCrash posted:

Here's the short version.

Turn on Darkside and never shut it off ever. Turn on Grit, leave it on for trash. Dive into the middle of the pack, do an Unleash or two, and you have their interest basically forever. Once you get your legs under you and are confident enough in using cooldowns and junk, it's basically "dive into group, Unleash, move to next group and Unleash, repeat until you've got all you can handle or there's nothing left to grab," but walk before you run, you know?

But in a group, just pop off Unleash twice, three times if you're worried, and you have essentially grabbed every motherfucker by the face, and you built up so much hate that they'll die before anybody majorly threatens your #1 spot on the hate list.

For bosses, do an aggro combo or two, then shut off Grit so you can pop Blood Weapon for more damage. I'd say "do your DPS combo" but you don't have a DPS combo until 38, when you get Soul Eater, but the point is you won't have to worry about incoming damage or losing aggro when dealing with a single boss at those levels. Remember, Paladins used to have to tank this poo poo with no tank stance.

Ahh, it's good to know that 2-3 Unleashes should suffice for trash pulls. That was a big source of confusion for me; I wasn't sure how much I need to do to mostly-ensure that a mob wouldn't get dragged off of me if a DPS targeted them.

As for bosses, should I continue avoiding circular AoEs but tank conical ones to keep them pointed away from everyone else? Also, as tank should I be ignoring mechanics along the lines of "kill weak-ish trash mobs that appear" or "activate/deactivate things"? My instinct is that I should be staying still as much as possible, because I know it was always annoying as Ninja when the tank would keep moving around and turning the boss.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Tanks ignore most mechanics. You generally don't need to pick up adds if they're going to die quickly. I would avoid even cone AoEs and just move back immediately after the cast finishes, though, no reason to make the healer stop DPSing.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Mobs can't move while casting so it's better to avoid AOEs.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Ytlaya posted:

Ahh, it's good to know that 2-3 Unleashes should suffice for trash pulls. That was a big source of confusion for me; I wasn't sure how much I need to do to mostly-ensure that a mob wouldn't get dragged off of me if a DPS targeted them.

As for bosses, should I continue avoiding circular AoEs but tank conical ones to keep them pointed away from everyone else? Also, as tank should I be ignoring mechanics along the lines of "kill weak-ish trash mobs that appear" or "activate/deactivate things"? My instinct is that I should be staying still as much as possible, because I know it was always annoying as Ninja when the tank would keep moving around and turning the boss.

I couldn't find the other one but there is this as an easy reference. Tanking is super simple though. As long as you have a lead on aggro, which you can check by looking at the party list, you don't really need to worry about much else. One of the things that can help is when an aoe is about to land, move out of it, then try to move right back where you were so that the boss doesn't have to move that much.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Oh my god nobody told me I got to raise a chocobo. :neckbeard:

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I just got my first job to level 70 today. I have two main lingering questions:

1) Is there anywhere I can look to get numbers on, for example, how much enmity Flash and Rage of Halone generate, or how much my 1358 Tenacity actually does for me?

2) How do you level Disciple of the Hand classes without spending all your money and driving yourself mad at the same time?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Safeword posted:

Oh my god nobody told me I got to raise a chocobo. :neckbeard:

So you think you can raise this chocobo?
Got chocobucks? You better put them on this chocobo!
Saddle up, if you think you can ride in this rodeo
Are we in hell? I don't know... to the dirt, let's roll!

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

So you think you can raise this chocobo?
Got chocobucks? You better put them on this chocobo!
Saddle up, if you think you can ride in this rodeo
Are we in hell? I don't know... to the dirt, let's roll!

Still waiting on them to put this in as mount music on your chocobo if you've dyed it a certain degree of black

edit: oh yeah for anyone without encyclopedic knowledge of all final fantasy games, here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEUOOgNzOv4

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

FractalSandwich posted:

I just got my first job to level 70 today. I have two main lingering questions:

1) Is there anywhere I can look to get numbers on, for example, how much enmity Flash and Rage of Halone generate, or how much my 1358 Tenacity actually does for me?

2) How do you level Disciple of the Hand classes without spending all your money and driving yourself mad at the same time?

Enmity and stat intervals.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Mordiceius posted:

gently caress, I'm going to be on set all day today or else I would be totally down for hours of maps.

you might be in luck... I don't think that a group is going to get off the ground tonight

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Cool, thanks.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Phone posted:

GC turn ins and Ixal dailies...

Confirming my beliefs, thanks much. I'll just try to work in leves when I have some time & work the ixali. Mooglequests weren't so bad because I had flying to cover the distances, here's hoping the ixal are clustered.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dark Knight is level 35 now; kinda getting the hang of things, at least for these low level dungeons. My gear is basically forcing me to stick to just Grit, though; otherwise I start taking dangerous amounts of damage. I can sometimes handle removing Grit during trash pulls, but definitely not bosses and usually not larger trash pulls either. I imagine things might get easier once I get all that gear from the level 45 quest.

I'm wondering if it might be a better idea to specifically queue for the highest level dungeon(s) instead of doing the random queue (after the getting the first time reward for the day), since I get a lot more XP from dungeons closer to my level.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Grit and Darkside aren't mutually exclusive.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Arist posted:

Grit and Darkside aren't mutually exclusive.

Ah, I knew that, but I was under the mistaken impression that Grit had an accompanying "increases the damage you take." Apparently it just stops MP recharge, which isn't a big deal since I'm not using too much at this point.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I'm wondering if it might be a better idea to specifically queue for the highest level dungeon(s) instead of doing the random queue (after the getting the first time reward for the day), since I get a lot more XP from dungeons closer to my level.

Yeah, once you get your daily bonus there's no reason to go through the roulette instead of just queueing for the highest level dungeon.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Ytlaya posted:

Ah, I knew that, but I was under the mistaken impression that Grit had an accompanying "increases the damage you take." Apparently it just stops MP recharge, which isn't a big deal since I'm not using too much at this point.

Grit is just your tanking stance. Never take it off for trash, but you can drop it on bosses once you have an aggro lead. Darkside is what prevents external mana regen. Never take it off.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Argas posted:

This week is actually super cheap to get an 80. Its the Velveteen Coatee of Crafting & Velveteen Sarosel of Gathering, both of which are buyable from vendors at like level 26. The gear is All Classes so you don't need that stuff leveled.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

rhoga posted:

RIP my message book. Rosineuax/rhoga was super easy to work with. I basically said, "Saw your post, I'm down, what will it cost?" and gave him estate access and he went to town with some basic direction. A++ would give keys to my FFXIV affairs again.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Speaking of houses, just as I was getting ready to log off and do some errands tonight my partner saw that a mansion was open in the goblet. I ran there, nobody in sight, tried to relocate, but got a message that my store-room was too full to transfer all my old furnishings over. So she ports over to my medium and just starts cramming trees and couches and Papalymo paintings into her inventory while I mash on the relocate button and finally get it to go through. I know, it's the Goblet, but I'm gobsmacked that it was just sitting there open for almost ten minutes I'd guess. I'm on Hyperion and outside of a few perpetually available Goblet smalls real estate can be pretty dear to come by.

Now I have to figure out how to fill this enormous place, just when I was getting used to my cozy old digs.

Ordinaire
Sep 1, 2008

Forks in the road we're not.

Safeword posted:

My character is Reilana Quillbourne, but I'm stuck on Gilgamesh for now. Was aiming to get onto Balmung, but congestion makes this a problem.

That said, I got the base game and both expansions for just over a tenner in the summer sale, so I might be able to justify a server transfer.

Now I just have to find an extra USB port for the keyboard so I don't go without headphones...

Couple pages ago but I'm on gilgamesh too. Hit me up if you need anything crafted/gathered or just a generally competent player. Name's Feisty Catfish.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Safeword posted:

My character is Reilana Quillbourne, but I'm stuck on Gilgamesh for now. Was aiming to get onto Balmung, but congestion makes this a problem.

That said, I got the base game and both expansions for just over a tenner in the summer sale, so I might be able to justify a server transfer.

Now I just have to find an extra USB port for the keyboard so I don't go without headphones...

I kinda glossed over this post too. Balmung is more-or-less permanently locked to new players, but sometimes they'll open it up when a major patch comes out. It usually doesn't stay open for long, though, so be ready to jump if you really want to join the bone zone. I think there's at least a small goon presence on every server; there's a handful of us on Balmung, most of whom I dragged to my nerd wedding. Moving to Excal or Omega isn't a bad idea at all if you're not drawn somewhere else though.

Unrelated, I've been toying with an idea, and I'd like to know if anyone's interested. Would there be any interest in goon learning parties for Savage-level (or even EX primal) content? It's not the easiest thing to get into, and I'm guessing a lot of statics are either on break until 4.4 or are clearing on Tuesday then going "now what?" afterwards, so finding a few experienced people shouldn't be impossible.

As an added bonus (for me), this would help me get my Excal alt geared up a bit.

school is, as always, IN SESSION, even if the teacher is shorter

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I've got an alt on Mateus so my girlfriend and I can play with her friends who like to RP. Mateus seems really chill overall, though the Quicksand is as wretched as you can imagine. Hunts seem pretty healthy but not overly competitive, so that's nice. Overall it seems to be a chill server, just not as jam packed as Excalibur.

My only complaint is that the market boards are often overpriced due to the massive influx of new blood cause by RP. It seems as though that never quite stabilized, and it may be because crafters seem to be much rarer with people focusing on disciplines of war. Tbf the plot provides most of what you need, so it's not a big issue.

rhoga posted:

This is really cool. Nice work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Thanks for all your feedback, guys. It's been helpful even though my answers haven't been as detailed as yours!

One last one though - how valuable is gil? Should I be hoarding it, or can I be quite thrifty?