Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

my favorite ecobee story is when i asked alexa to play some jazz music and the ecobee thermostat picked up the command and started playing john coltrane and i couldnt figure out a way to stop it (repeated "stop playing music" commands got picked up by the main alexa unit) so i had to shut off the power to the whole thing

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jul 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

my favorite ecobee story is when i asked alexa to play some jazz music and the ecobee thermostat picked up the command and started playing john coltrane and i couldnt figure out a way to stop it (repeated "stop playing music" commands got picked up by the main alexa unit) so i had to shut off the power to the whole thing

:stonk:

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Any recommendations for a simple wifi cam to use as basically a baby monitor? I've got a Yi Home camera, and it's okay, but every now and then it'll spazz out and start rapidly switching between night vision and normal mode, which wouldn't be a major issue except for the audible "click" the camera makes when it does this, which is actually loud enough to wake my baby up. I go into the settings and toggle the night vision on and off but it really seems to make no actual difference.
So I'd like something a bit more reliable/useful than that camera. I'd like 1080p, and if it can work with Alexa, all the better.

Kinda leaning towards this cheap feller at the moment: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07BZFP...YMT16D4N53&th=1

stevewm
May 10, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

Do ecobees still not support ESP? (Feature that multiple echos use so only one responds) Seems kinda dumb they wouldn't implement it.... I would imagine many people with a ecobee probably already have an Echo.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Any recommendations on a front door lock that can open up as I approach my door? Is there such a thing?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

stevewm posted:

Do ecobees still not support ESP? (Feature that multiple echos use so only one responds) Seems kinda dumb they wouldn't implement it.... I would imagine many people with a ecobee probably already have an Echo.

The Ecobee 4 does as of the last firmware update (or the one before it, I forget).

Edit: https://support.ecobee.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002678032-ecobee4-Echo-Spatial-Perception-ESP-

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

BoyBlunder posted:

Picked up an Ecobee3 + 3 sensors for $199. Thanks Prime Day! Now to get that C-wire installed...

Anyone use one of these smart thermostats with radiators? I'm guessing the room sensors will help with that

Quoting myself here.

So I ran a C wire, from the boiler transformer up to my thermostat, ecobee fired right up! Go through the setup, and turn on the heat to test (this is a heat-only system, no AC. My connections are C, Rh, & W1). Ecobee starts rebooting randomly. Great. At least the furnace works.

So I spend a couple hours on the phone with support, we determine that the Taco transformer I have on my furnace can't supply enough power to the Ecobee. So I have to get another transformer (https://amzn.to/2zXHQdn) use that for the C-wire and Rc wire and plug it into an outlet. The provided PDK isn't an option, because I started with a 2-wire system, and it requires at least 3 to work.

I wish this was easy. At least Amazon delivers on Sunday.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Just to update everyone on my Nest Hello issues. After going back and forth with Nest support for about a week, taking the doorbell with me to work and friends houses (as requested by their support team), I decided to just go buy another one at home depot. The new Hello connected the first time without the NC008 error, so the one I received from Nest was DOA... it's really lovely that their support team had no way to actually troubleshoot the problem and instead of just shipping me a replacement they had me run around town with the most expensive normal doorbell on the planet.

Unfortunately the new doorbell from Home Depot was also defective, the mic and speaker didn't work which makes it just a very expensive camera. So finally support acknowledges that their poo poo is broken and they shipped me a refurbished replacement for the original and everything worked the first go around. So now I have to return a doorbell to Home Depot and ship one back to Nest.

Overall I gotta say they have some of the worst support I've ever experienced, they've dumbed everything down so much that even their support people don't have any information that isn't listed on their website. None of them even knew what protocols these things were communicating over, they repeatedly told me to just "turn down the firewall"...

I have the Nest thermostat, 2 IQ cams and now the doorbell and at my old house we had the protects, so it's really lovely to have such a bad experience with one of their products. I'm really hoping the issues with the Hello are just due to it being a new product, now that it's working it's actually really great. If it weren't for all their other products being really great I probably would've switched to skybell or ring after the first call with their support (in which I had to wait 45 minutes and then wait another 45 while on hold with the support rep for tier 2 support).

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
To anyone using an ecobee + Google Assistant:

Can you get routines to work when asking for readings on your sensors? If I ask Google Home: "What's the current reading of the kids room sensor?" it will respond with the temperature in sensor named kids room. If I add that to a routine, and say "Temperature in kids room" it tells me that it doesn't recognize what I'm saying and it links me to add smart devices.

I spent 2hr on the phone with Google Home support for them to tell me to submit feedback via the app because they couldn't figure this out, and said the issue was with ecobee :confused:

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

They may have improved it since I last used it months ago.

But yeah, I don't see a compelling reason to get Ring over Skybell.

There is a problem where every once and a while your feed will go blank (even inside the 7 day period) and the Skybell will need to be reset in order for you to see recordings again. Apparently I am not the only person who has seen this issue. Thats my only complaint and its only happened once, other than that the camera is pretty great.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I would like to thank the goon who told me about a mesh system, my camera outside the garage has been having perfect connectivity after grabbing 2 google wifi systems.

I would also like to thank the ones who told me my plan was stupid and a waste of time as it made me hold off until Amazon Prime day and I got them for a discount.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

BoyBlunder posted:

To anyone using an ecobee + Google Assistant:

Can you get routines to work when asking for readings on your sensors? If I ask Google Home: "What's the current reading of the kids room sensor?" it will respond with the temperature in sensor named kids room. If I add that to a routine, and say "Temperature in kids room" it tells me that it doesn't recognize what I'm saying and it links me to add smart devices.

I spent 2hr on the phone with Google Home support for them to tell me to submit feedback via the app because they couldn't figure this out, and said the issue was with ecobee :confused:

Try setting the routine trigger to a different statement. I had a key phrase something like "bed time" and somtimes it would trigger my shortcut and sometimes it would say "ok good night". It must have some level of logic parsing before it hands over to routines and shortcuts that I was tripping over.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

G-Spot Run posted:

Try setting the routine trigger to a different statement. I had a key phrase something like "bed time" and somtimes it would trigger my shortcut and sometimes it would say "ok good night". It must have some level of logic parsing before it hands over to routines and shortcuts that I was tripping over.

I tried "Test routine" and just random garbage words, still happened.

Dealing with support with probably the most frustrating thing, though. They weren't listening to me while I was explaining to them that there were only 2 phrases to get temps from the sensors and kept telling me to use different combinations. After 2 hours, it just ended in me leaving some "product feedback" in some vacuum somewhere that will never be read.

I spent a few minutes yesterday researching Echos and if they're better than my Home, and it seems like they are in every way but the searching department.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

Organic Lube User posted:

Any recommendations for a simple wifi cam to use as basically a baby monitor? I've got a Yi Home camera, and it's okay, but every now and then it'll spazz out and start rapidly switching between night vision and normal mode, which wouldn't be a major issue except for the audible "click" the camera makes when it does this, which is actually loud enough to wake my baby up. I go into the settings and toggle the night vision on and off but it really seems to make no actual difference.
So I'd like something a bit more reliable/useful than that camera. I'd like 1080p, and if it can work with Alexa, all the better.

Kinda leaning towards this cheap feller at the moment: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07BZFP...YMT16D4N53&th=1

I'm going through this a bit at the moment for a second cam, and it seems a bit of a minefield.
I've had a foscam for a couple years that, while I was a little disappointed with for the price, has worked very reliably since I got it.
I've tried a couple of the generic chinese nonbrand/rebrands but have returned them both on reliability/feature grounds - but video quality was better than my foscam!

Trying to a bit more research on specific models/brands hasnt got me very far, though I've found some 'ip cam enthusiasts' online seem to think the Annke I61DR Cube is great value if you can find it in stock for ~$50 or so. Though that one doesnt have the motorised pan and tilt if thats an essential.

Sorry for the unhelpful post.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I've got a FOSCAM PTZ 720P model that I got cheap because the lower-spec model I tried to buy was out of stock. Had to RMA it because it fell off a table and the motor hosed up but no issue there. There is probably a hikvision or dahua or similar around the same price. I use Tiny Cam Monitor Pro on android, and my partner uses an iOS-specific Baby Monitor app to do background audio. Any camera should work with these.

If you get a FOSCAM, make sure you firewall it off because they have a hardwired FTP vulnerability.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Piggy Smalls posted:

Any recommendations on a front door lock that can open up as I approach my door? Is there such a thing?

My August has geofencing so it unlocks the deadbolt when we get within a determined range. I’m sure others have it too.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Anyone have any experience with smart smoke detectors? I'm about to go for the Nest, however, I see First Alert has a HomeKit enabled one that also works with my existing wired smoke detectors, so that would be cool.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

I liked the Nest Protect, there isn't much to them and maybe a bit overpriced but it's nice to be notified on your phone when someone burns the toast. Also the nightlight feature is cool.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I have a Leeo which works fine with whatever smoke/fire/whatever alarms you already have. Works fine for me.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Has anyone gone from OpenHAB to Home Assistant? If so, what do you think of the comparison of the two?

Right now I'm fed up with OpenHAB's obtuseness, and I currently lost all my lights when Apple's Homekit decided to be a pain in the rear end. I can't get Homekit to find anything on OpenHAB, and since I didn't like it, I'm starting from scratch. It seems people are talking about Home Assistant on here more as well. However, I'd have to buy a Raspberry Pi to use it at this point (I don't want to run Docker on my laptop, and my Synology can't run Docker). So I have to justify a purchase at this point, and run a Pi for one dedicate purpose it seems. I'm wondering if it's that much worth it over OpenHAB.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
I’d love to hear about this as well as I’m about to expand into one or the other, and I’m leaning towards HA.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

IUG posted:

Has anyone gone from OpenHAB to Home Assistant? If so, what do you think of the comparison of the two?

Right now I'm fed up with OpenHAB's obtuseness, and I currently lost all my lights when Apple's Homekit decided to be a pain in the rear end. I can't get Homekit to find anything on OpenHAB, and since I didn't like it, I'm starting from scratch. It seems people are talking about Home Assistant on here more as well. However, I'd have to buy a Raspberry Pi to use it at this point (I don't want to run Docker on my laptop, and my Synology can't run Docker). So I have to justify a purchase at this point, and run a Pi for one dedicate purpose it seems. I'm wondering if it's that much worth it over OpenHAB.

I spent a couple hours trying to get OpenHAB to work on my Raspberry Pi, and I'm pretty glad that I said "gently caress it" and switched to Home Assistant.

Granted, I don't actually have anything running on Home Assistant other than some test stuff, but I was able to fairly easily get a few things that I wanted working, and figured it out without too much trouble, so we'll see how it goes in the long run.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
ohh gently caress there are too many products in this space. I'm just going to post some :words: and maybe y'all can help me out.

My wife and I are having a house built, its going to be ready in a few weeks.

needs:
- front-door camera to see who is creepin on our house
- alarm system for the front/back door/windows that can talk to our mobiles (iOS and Android)

wants:
- a programmable thermostat, it would save us bank
- ability to store video backups on my own servers
- _no_ voice controls (gently caress amazon and google listening to everything i say, i'm dying on that hill, gently caress smart speakers)

goons what the gently caress do i buy

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

IUG posted:

IMHO, if you haven't tinkered with a Raspberry Pi yet--this is your perfect opportunity. The Raspberry Pi is pretty dang cool. But yeah, it is $100+ by the time you buy the case, heat sink, power supply, SD Card, and Aeotec USB Z-Stick. I am constantly impressed Home Assistant--so far everything I've wanted to do, it can do. Just a bit of time investment to figure stuff out.

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009

Careful Drums posted:

ohh gently caress there are too many products in this space. I'm just going to post some :words: and maybe y'all can help me out.

My wife and I are having a house built, its going to be ready in a few weeks.

needs:
- front-door camera to see who is creepin on our house
- alarm system for the front/back door/windows that can talk to our mobiles (iOS and Android)

wants:
- a programmable thermostat, it would save us bank
- ability to store video backups on my own servers
- _no_ voice controls (gently caress amazon and google listening to everything i say, i'm dying on that hill, gently caress smart speakers)

goons what the gently caress do i buy

I'm in almost the exact same boat as you. I haven't decided on the camera yet, but I went with the ring alarm for the security system (inexpensive, and doesn't require professional monitoring, thought it's available for cheap if you want it) and the ecobee 3 lite (doesn't have Alexa built in, no smart speakers for me either). I'll update with my experience with the alarm once my house is finished, but I've been using the ecobee in my apartment for months and it's been great. Also check with your local utility for the thermostat--i got a substantial rebate on it.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Is anyone in here like, really versed in z-wave (and maybe specifically OZW)?

I've got a couple of switches, that happen to be the furthest away from my z-wave stick, whose states are regularly out of sync with what Home Assistant thinks. Enabling polling on these two switches is how I'm currently working around the issue, but I shouldn't need to do that and it's not really good practice. When I do a "heal network" and check the OZW log, I can see that the "return route" for both of these switches is node 1, which it really shouldn't be. There are numerous other switches closer to them that they could be routing though, but I can't figure out how to FORCE a node to route through another node, or if it's even possible. All of the switches in the house are the GE ones from the same line (basic switches, dimmers, and fan controllers) and all support routing.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Walrusmaster posted:

I'm in almost the exact same boat as you. I haven't decided on the camera yet, but I went with the ring alarm for the security system (inexpensive, and doesn't require professional monitoring, thought it's available for cheap if you want it) and the ecobee 3 lite (doesn't have Alexa built in, no smart speakers for me either). I'll update with my experience with the alarm once my house is finished, but I've been using the ecobee in my apartment for months and it's been great. Also check with your local utility for the thermostat--i got a substantial rebate on it.

Thanks, those look like two solid picks

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,

Want to put music in my house where I can just tell it to play. Any recommendations on hardware to achieve this easily?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Google home.

If you want it on better speakers add a chromecast or chromecast audio.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

I suggest the Sonos One, it has Alexa built in and sounds great.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Looking for a timer outlet to control a plant light, figure may as well get one that can work with the few Google home units.

Wemo Mini Smart Plug, Wi-Fi Enabled, Works with Alexa and Google Assistant https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NBI0A6R/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_YcWyBbC478084

Will this work after a black out?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I've finally convinced the SO to let me put some cameras up after someone was door checking cars the other night on our street and our next door neighbor's car was stolen. Probably going to piece together a system a bit at a time, but I'm sort of torn on where to start. I don't like the normal Nest outdoor cameras because of the exposed cable and magnetic mount, would rather go with something more tamper resistant like the Nest IQ, though it might be overkill. But now I'm maybe thinking I could get away with just the Nest Hello at the front to start with. The front of the house isn't very wide, and the door isn't set back at all, so it would capture the entire front area pretty well, I think. Are there any major issues I'm overlooking here?

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,

ReidRansom posted:

I've finally convinced the SO to let me put some cameras up after someone was door checking cars the other night on our street and our next door neighbor's car was stolen. Probably going to piece together a system a bit at a time, but I'm sort of torn on where to start. I don't like the normal Nest outdoor cameras because of the exposed cable and magnetic mount, would rather go with something more tamper resistant like the Nest IQ, though it might be overkill. But now I'm maybe thinking I could get away with just the Nest Hello at the front to start with. The front of the house isn't very wide, and the door isn't set back at all, so it would capture the entire front area pretty well, I think. Are there any major issues I'm overlooking here?

I’m a nest fan boy. You get near immediate notifications and the night time pictures are crystal clear. I think the reviews show the IQ is not so good compared to the regular cameras. I have 3 outdoor and 1 indoor camera and am thinking of getting a 4th outdoor for full coverage around my house. Plus since it uploads to the cloud of someone rips it down I can still immediately know and see who did it.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

After reading horror stories about nest thermostats and hearing how god drat awful their support is (in this very thread, as well as other places), I find it difficult to trust them with something as important as home security.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,

enraged_camel posted:

After reading horror stories about nest thermostats and hearing how god drat awful their support is (in this very thread, as well as other places), I find it difficult to trust them with something as important as home security.

Never had a problem with their tech support. Maybe I just got lucky but I seriously love how idiot proof these cameras are. YMMV

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

You can read horror stories about everyone's tech support.

Not to say that they are better or worse than average, I just don't think we're in a position to know.

FWIW, I've been fine with them the time or two I've had to contact them.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Apparently, Google Homes are now room-aware when you control devices located in the same room as them.

So, if you've assigned a Home to a room and its the one that hears you, you can say "dim the lights" instead of "dim the living room lights".

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, Echo's ESP stuff is like 90% accurate enough for that to be useful for me. I keep trying though!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

It kind of depends on the layout of your home.

For example, I've got a Home in the office. No other Home is ever going to hear me in there and it's always tedious to have to add "in the office" when I'm already sitting right there in the office and the Home that heard me is sitting in there as well.

We've got two Google Home's that are like 30+ feet apart on two different floors but are part of the main large common area of the home. The correct one responds probably 95% of the time, but weirdly the other 5% of the time the one that is furthest away responds...even if i'm only like 4 feet away from the closest one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I live in a small house and I have a Home in every room. You're never more than say 7 feet from a Home and the right Home answers most of the time but definitely not enough of the time to keep my wife happy. For some reason it's worse for her, maybe her voice carries better? Obviously it doesn't help that when we're issuing commands while we're getting ready for work or whatever and walking from room to room while talking it could be any Home at all which responds.