Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I've seen a lot of praise for Tressa, but here's a thought- Cyrus is the raddest man to ever live

Counterpoint!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Beat the final boss first try so I'm pretty happy! The start of the scene afterwords got me to genuinely laugh out loud.

First phase was inches away from wiping me on the final stretch. 3 members were dead and Ophillia with 1,000hp was all I had left. No BP left so it just became a Olive of LIfe fest until I can turn it around.
Final Phase didn't give me *as* much trouble but still scared the hell out of me. It said something about him being ominous and I panicked and lowered his defense, fully charged Olberic and had him throw a loving dagger in it's eye killing it. It's first line just being AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA seemed appropriate since it had a dagger lodged in it :v:

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Tae posted:

Finally beat my first advanced job. Now how exactly does Transfer rune work. Is it just her own self-buffs, or can I cast reflect on her to party reflect?

Transfer Rune only works for strictly self-targeting moves like Abide, Rest, and Sidestep, and of course the other rune skills. If you can cast a skill on someone else, like you can with Reflective Veil, then it won’t work with Transfer Rune (but it will work with the Dancer divine skill).

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I've seen a lot of praise for Tressa, but here's a thought- Cyrus is the raddest man to ever live

:hai:

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I’ve been making the loop around tho collect all the characters so I’m not too far in, but I was wondering about some of the random caves I’ve come across on the road. Are these just there to provide side exporation, or am I going to end up getting sent to these through a quest eventually? I hate it in games when I explore what looks like an optional dungeon only to find I have to go back again later for a quest.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Guuuuuuuys! Alfyns chapter 3 really bummed me out! :(

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

All the story mandated stuff is locked in story-specific areas.
Subquests may send you there though.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

J-Spot posted:

I’ve been making the loop around tho collect all the characters so I’m not too far in, but I was wondering about some of the random caves I’ve come across on the road. Are these just there to provide side exporation, or am I going to end up getting sent to these through a quest eventually? I hate it in games when I explore what looks like an optional dungeon only to find I have to go back again later for a quest.

Technically both. You can explore any of the dungeons at any time to fight the optional bosses, but some of them do have quests involved with them. The number one thing to keep in mind is that quests will only appear in a town whose entrance is on the same screen as the dungeon entrance. So, for example, the cave with the snakes in the Desert. You get there from the same map that you also get to Wellspring, so pop into Wellspring first and you'll get the quest. If there's no quest in the town, then there's no quest for the dungeon - you won't get a quest on the other side of the world or later in the game to revisit. On top of that, if there's no town connected to the dungeon entrance map, there's no quests. So, pretty much all the dungeons you passed in the inner ring of cities getting all the characters don't have quests.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Technically both. You can explore any of the dungeons at any time to fight the optional bosses, but some of them do have quests involved with them. The number one thing to keep in mind is that quests will only appear in a town whose entrance is on the same screen as the dungeon entrance. So, for example, the cave with the snakes in the Desert. You get there from the same map that you also get to Wellspring, so pop into Wellspring first and you'll get the quest. If there's no quest in the town, then there's no quest for the dungeon - you won't get a quest on the other side of the world or later in the game to revisit. On top of that, if there's no town connected to the dungeon entrance map, there's no quests. So, pretty much all the dungeons you passed in the inner ring of cities getting all the characters don't have quests.

Perfect. Thanks for that.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

J-Spot posted:

Perfect. Thanks for that.

Actually looking at the quest list there's a couple exceptions, but they're all after you've completed certain character's CH4 so there's no way you could do them now. The dungeons associated are also high level (level 45-ish), but if you care about what dungeons they are, it's Forest of Purgation, Undertow Cove, and Forest of No Return..

I literally just finished Tressa's CH4 which unlocks one of the quests so I had no idea until like thirty seconds after responding to your post.

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 28, 2018

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Actually looking at the quest list there's a couple exceptions, but they're all after you've completed certain character's CH4 so there's no way you could do them now. The dungeons associated are also high level (level 45-ish), but if you care about what dungeons they are, it's Forest of Purgation, Undertow Cove, and Forest of No Return..

There are quests associated with Hoarfrost Grotto and the Untouched Sanctum, both of which are first-ring early-game dungeons.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zoran posted:

There are quests associated with Hoarfrost Grotto and the Untouched Sanctum, both of which are first-ring early-game dungeons.

There are a bunch of quest-related npcs in dungeons as well.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I just finished the last of my chapters today :toot:

Time to get ready for the postgame :getin:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

To the people who have been to and/or beaten the final boss: How about that extreme rock opera? :black101:

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

YoshiOfYellow posted:

To the people who have been to and/or beaten the final boss: How about that extreme rock opera? :black101:

I liked it so much I was almost glad it took me three tries!

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
In Olberic's chapter 3 I was not expecting to be forced into the duel at the end. Could have at least let me prepare and save, instead of a confirmation box with only a Yes option.

Killed him with dark soulstones though so it went okay.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Okay, I'm in the middle of H'aanit's chapter 2, and I'm going to defend it. Everyone else is prancing around like a sunshiney jackass, and H'aanit is in the middle of a horror story, it owns. I love the tone of her story. Also I love the one chick that was like, "Z'aanta? I know him, he'd come by every so often and I sucked him dry," she was awesome.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Outside of JP Up, Starseer seems meh?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Tae posted:

I was literally coming to discuss Starseer, because I just beat the boss. I'm excited about JP Up, but not super psyched to pay 2K JP for it.

Is there a character who uses Starseer super well? Because if so, I'd rather get JP Up on them, so I don't "waste" my JP.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Bombadilillo posted:

Enjoy! Have fun dueling, but advice. Dont grind. Especially your main guy. They will be OP soon compared to your other pals

this seems counteractive to my pro-bumfight strategy, but yeah i've had to scale it down a bit because olberic overlevels himself at lightspeed fighting anything above difficulty 3

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Some Numbers posted:

I was literally coming to discuss Starseer, because I just beat the boss. I'm excited about JP Up, but not super psyched to pay 2K JP for it.

Is there a character who uses Starseer super well? Because if so, I'd rather get JP Up on them, so I don't "waste" my JP.

I've mentioned it once before but I like Cyrus as a Starseer since it gives him full elemental coverage plus some utility options. A couple of the buffs Starseer has access to are really powerful, like increasing BP gain, the multiple different buffs all in one spell, and the one that lets you stop an enemy's ability to buff itself. Starseer gets 1000 times better if you have a Dancer with the Dancer divine skill, though, since now those great effects can spread to everyone with one cast.

Edit: Also using JP on Starseer is in no way a waste for any character, as one of the passives it gets is among the best damage boosters in the game and another is a huge help for clearing generic enemy fights first turn. The last passive is sort of lame, though.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Starseer owns for clearing trash with its comet spell, crit up, and its passives.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Starseer seems like it's made for the Dancer divine. Buff the entire party with all the things :toot:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Edit: Also using JP on Starseer is in no way a waste for any character, as one of the passives it gets is among the best damage boosters in the game and another is a huge help for clearing generic enemy fights first turn. The last passive is sort of lame, though.

OH poo poo, I totally missed that BP Eater existed. :stare: Does that apply to the whole team or just the Starseer?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Tae posted:

Dancer Divine on Starseer buffs are absolutely amazing. Particularly giving the entire party the BP up and Starsong (Def/E.Def/Evasion/Speed Up) is incredibly potent. Celestial Intervention can also be Dancer Divined to target both all allies and enemies to prevent buffs on them and debuffs on you and that comes incredibly handy in certain fights.

Starseer is very, very good.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I guess I wasn't impressed at the BP thing because Alfyin can do that right off the bat.

Warmaster went down by far the easiest. Runelord is a dumb class on Tressa. Everyone had +6 counts of sidestep, and Cyrus was dealing more damage off a runelord effect than his own spells.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Some Numbers posted:

OH poo poo, I totally missed that BP Eater existed. :stare: Does that apply to the whole team or just the Starseer?

Each character needs it as far as I know.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Tae posted:

I guess I wasn't impressed at the BP thing because Alfyin can do that right off the bat.

The important distinction is that Starseer doesn't require limited resource items to do it. Plus once you've set up the buff the Starseer can use their turns doing other things instead of continuing to spam Concoct.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I agree with Starseer Cyrus. He gets damage output comparable to the Sorcerer with a three-hit AOE spell, but also gains a whole lot of powerful support options to complement his Scholar spells, and he gets two brand-new weapon types just in case.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Zoran posted:

I agree with Starseer Cyrus. He gets damage output comparable to the Sorcerer with a three-hit AOE spell, but also gains a whole lot of powerful support options to complement his Scholar spells, and he gets two brand-new weapon types just in case.

I would caveat this with.

Only if you have cleric somewhere else. If Cyrus is your cleric don't go Starseer because the Cleric divine is bonkers.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Tried to fight the Warmaster and not having any luck getting anything set up so I just going to take out the runelord, but what the general suggested method to killing them? I tried to search the thread for warmaster tips, but kept getting random warhammer poo poo instead.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Rirse posted:

Tried to fight the Warmaster and not having any luck getting anything set up so I just going to take out the runelord, but what the general suggested method to killing them? I tried to search the thread for warmaster tips, but kept getting random warhammer poo poo instead.

I think most of us used Runelord to transfer Tressa's sidestep to the entire party.

Another method would be to use Therion to debuff warmaster's physical attacks and using Tressa's first Hired Mercenaries to buff your physical defense so that you have the tank to take the boss.

Cleric level 4 passive would be helpful for all the extra HP it gives you.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I probably just go kill runelord first since I don't use therion.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I like Starseer Ophilia because she gets a nice comfy coat with a fluffy collar :fluffy:

oh and also it makes her a buffing machine, especially when paired with a Dancer.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Rirse posted:

A merchant/warrior combo can taunt the Runelord's single target attacks and avoid them with sidestep. Having a pair of merchants (and maybe a thief) means that when you break them you can have two people doing a minimum of 24k damage each (at 30k leaves per attack). Plus whatever damage the others deal.

Runelord Tressa can make Warmaster much easier, though I had an extremely tanky Olberic taunt most Warmaster hits and soak them with lots of defense and hp.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I really liked the boss fights against the 4 gods to get the classes.

They take all the abilities the class has, and turn it into a boss fight.

I want to fight the other 8 gods.

Imagine what a Brand boss fight would be like.

The warrior god could have minions that buff him and debuff you, but Brand can use Incite and Cover to protect them and stop them from dying until he's broken.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Folt The Bolt posted:

If you wonder, here's my story ranks, spoilers, lot's of them, abound here:

I largely agree with your assessments. Some of my rankings are different, but your absolutely right in that Primrose's terrible Chapter Four brought down her entire story when everyone else's came to a satisfying conclusion.

As a Primrose main, it was exceptionally disappointing.

Thank you for your effort post.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
These post-game bosses are easy as heck. Although maybe it's my own fault for having Cyrus crap out 100k damage on turn 2...

E: Form two parties for the final confrontation UGHGHGHGHG poo poo

The Duchess Smackarse fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jul 28, 2018

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Rirse posted:

I beat warmaster first at level 38ish. Have your thief shackle foe (lower phys attack), have your apothecary upkeep empoison (1% of the boss's health/turn), and have your merchant upkeep hire mercanry (phys resistance for the whole party) and just grind her out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Jesus Christ the reward for the snake cave quest near Wellspring is loving bonkers for how early you can get it :stare: