Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trevellian
Apr 27, 2007

Well tally ho! With a bing and a bong and a buzz buzz buzz!

Phylodox posted:

I feel like that’s true of almost all the women in the original Star Trek, though. I remember the conversation in Who Mourns for Adonais that went something like “She’s a great asset to the ship. It’s a shame that, like all women, she’ll one day find a man and leave the service.”

:wtc::females::biotruths:

There’s another example of the attitudes of the time towards women in the next episode, “The Changeling” after Nomad wipes Uhura’s mind:

NOMAD: That unit is defective. Its thinking is chaotic. Absorbing it unsettled me.
SPOCK: That unit is a woman.
NOMAD: A mass of conflicting impulses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Trevellian posted:

There’s another example of the attitudes of the time towards women in the next episode, “The Changeling” after Nomad wipes Uhura’s mind:

NOMAD: That unit is defective. Its thinking is chaotic. Absorbing it unsettled me.
SPOCK: That unit is a woman.
NOMAD: A mass of conflicting impulses.

And they never restored her mind, either. They just re-taught her her ABCs and completely ignored the horrifying implications therein.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

Seriously, he should have been able to take the lead on a lot of situations, or at least been able to offer a ton of practical advice.

I'm not so sure, really. His practical experience seemed to be centered on "endurance" more than anything else. Being a good Merchant Marine third mate on a Liberty ship doesn't translate to being XO on a battleship.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The most baffling Mayweather decision is the way they used him as beefcake the least out of the human male main cast, despite him being noticeable buffer than Archer/Reed/Trip.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Phylodox posted:

And they never restored her mind, either. They just re-taught her her ABCs and completely ignored the horrifying implications therein.

Bloo-ee?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Pinterest Mom posted:

The most baffling Mayweather decision is the way they used him as beefcake the least out of the human male main cast, despite him being noticeable buffer than Archer/Reed/Trip.

Genuinely a crime.

:allears:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Pinterest Mom posted:

Mayweather [is] noticeable buffer than Archer/Reed/Trip.

That's because he masturbates a lot. This is canonical dialogue.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

The_Doctor posted:

Seriously, he should have been able to take the lead on a lot of situations, or at least been able to offer a ton of practical advice.

Yeah they should have leaned on him way more for information and customs, instead of it always being T'pol every time. Sort of like Enterprise's Neelix, but not obnoxious as gently caress.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Tom Guycot posted:

Yeah they should have leaned on him way more for information and customs, instead of it always being T'pol every time. Sort of like Enterprise's Neelix, but not obnoxious as gently caress.

That would have been a great angle. Just have him step in and be like "Captain, these people won't even give you the time of day unless you open negotiations by spitting in their mouths." Or "trust me, the people on this planet are waaay more sexual than they let on at first, keep your guard up." And they all ask him why he knows that, and he begins to tell a story but everyone cuts him off when it gets too freaky.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Any of that would have required creativity, which Enterprise ran out of somewhere in the middle of the first season.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Peachfart posted:

Any of that would have required creativity, which Enterprise ran out of somewhere in the middle of the first season episode.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

One of these days I need to go back and rewatch the pilot and see how it holds up. I seem to remember being more cinematic and epic than previous recent TV Trek, and there was that sense of wonder like "what are they going to find out there, it could be LITERALLY ANYTHING" that they lost like 3 episodes in.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

I want to say the freighter episode and like one scene in the pilot where he finds the ship’s grav bubble area are the only times he’s ever presented as having more experience at living in space than the rest of the crew. He’s the “gee whiz, aliens!?” guy for the rest of the show.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Just watched the extended cut of "Measure of a Man" and boy, those added scenes made everything come to a screeching halt. They felt like they went on FOREVER.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Astroman posted:

One of these days I need to go back and rewatch the pilot and see how it holds up. I seem to remember being more cinematic and epic than previous recent TV Trek, and there was that sense of wonder like "what are they going to find out there, it could be LITERALLY ANYTHING" that they lost like 3 episodes in.

Episode 4 was an mpreg episode.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Pinterest Mom posted:

Episode 4 was an mpreg episode.

Ah the early 2000s, when male rape was played for laughs.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'm pretty sure it's season 2 when VOY goes past Neelix's sphere of expertise and there's an episode where he, like, trades bioweapons because I'M USELESS TO YOU now

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Peachfart posted:

Any of that would have required creativity, which Enterprise ran out of somewhere in the middle of the first season.

I think I pretty much checked out mentally by episode 8. The one where everyone is so excited when they encounter their very first, never discovered before, civilisation. And of course it was just another extremely generic forehead-of-the-week alien.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I kind of want to annoy people with my posts about Star Trek episodes. What series should I do?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Brawnfire posted:

I kind of want to annoy people with my posts about Star Trek episodes. What series should I do?

Whoa, you can’t just give that away for free. Learn to monetize, friend. Get yourself a patreon.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Don't worry, I plan to have Exclusive Content.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:justpost:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Fargate: The Galactica Expanse

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Bucswabe posted:

I think I pretty much checked out mentally by episode 8. The one where everyone is so excited when they encounter their very first, never discovered before, civilisation. And of course it was just another extremely generic forehead-of-the-week alien.

In an alternate universe, Enterprise was almost entirely about first contsct scenarios, exploring strange new worlds, seeking new life, and new civilizations.

Instead we got Space 9/11 and Vulcanian politics.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Astroman posted:

In an alternate universe, Enterprise was almost entirely about first contsct scenarios, exploring strange new worlds, seeking new life, and new civilizations.

And decontaminating. :heysexy:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I regularly decontaminate myself at work, though, so now those vaguely erotic scenes of people getting clean are just my life.

Except we don't slather on goo, we wash it off because all the goo we have at work can give you cancer. Or leave you infertile! Yay!

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

HD DAD posted:

Ah the early 2000s, when male rape was played for laughs.

The Orville really does borrow from Trek a lot.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Seth MacFarlane spooning a blue Rob Lowe who gets out of bed and looks out a window seeing two giant alien fleets destroying each other, and sighs "I can't help but feel I'm in some way partially responsible for this" still makes me laugh just thinking about it, sorry.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I really hate most of the Star Trek "alien pheromones/mating cycles make everyone horny" episodes, but was pretty entertained by that Orville, so I'd say that's one cliche they actually improved upon.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Seth MacFarlane spooning a blue Rob Lowe who gets out of bed and looks out a window seeing two giant alien fleets destroying each other, and sighs "I can't help but feel I'm in some way partially responsible for this" still makes me laugh just thinking about it, sorry.

I can see plenty of the humour in that episode but if only the circumstances were just a bit different.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Mayweather should have the Enterprise chief engineer.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Phase pistols :ughh:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Kibayasu posted:

I can see plenty of the humour in that episode but if only the circumstances were just a bit different.

Yeah there were funny parts, but joking about rape in 2018 is more than a little :stare:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

McSpanky posted:

Phase pistols :ughh:

Photonic torpedos

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Every time I consider giving Orville a try, someone says something that reminds me why I haven’t.

I can do without Seth McF rape jokes, thnx.

In lighter news, a friend is essentially giving me a ticket to Star Trek Las Vegas. Any of you other nerds gonna be there?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Astroman posted:

Enterprise should have been responsible for the creation of the prime directive because the crew is so enthusiastic about helping people that it occasionally backfires disastrously.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Geekboy posted:

Every time I consider giving Orville a try, someone says something that reminds me why I haven’t.

I can do without Seth McF rape jokes, thnx.

In lighter news, a friend is essentially giving me a ticket to Star Trek Las Vegas. Any of you other nerds gonna be there?

The episode was borderline and it's certainly not a good look to be even arguably making rape comedy in the year of our Trump,

BUT

Much of the reaction is overblown or taken out of context.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It really isn’t. But it’s an anomaly in an otherwise good season.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Kibayasu posted:

It really isn’t. But it’s an anomaly in an otherwise good season.

It's the kind of episode that, had it come out 20 or even 10 years ago, there wouldn't have been such a strong reaction to it, but now, especially after the #metoo movement and the increased awareness and focus on issues of consent and rape has changed the way an episode like that is viewed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Geekboy posted:

Once in a while I think about how neat it might be to go to STLV and meet all the actors and listen to panels, but then I’m reminded of how terrible the attendees at most cons are and how much worse a con full of diehard trekkies would be.

The smell alone would be enough to kill you.