Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

RZA Encryption posted:

Why were all the ev-1s destroyed? I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation for it, but I just keep thinking "big oil got scared". Didn't the leasees love it?

Ulf posted:

There’s a pretty obscure documentary about it if you’re interested!

non-snarky answer: a thousand gushing owners of your niche product doesn’t pay for the $$millions in federally mandated support you’d have to provide for the next decade on your weird exotic car that you designed, built, and leased at a loss anyway. In the end someone made a ruthless but financially sound decision to crush ‘em

Ulf fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jul 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
Here’s the documentary https://archive.org/details/WhoKilledTheElectricCar123

Basically CARB backed off on the whole reason for the EV1 existing and GM decided it was easier to scrap the whole line rather than support it for the next few years.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe
What happened to Chevron's promise to commercialize the EV1s battery tech?

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
Jaguar is having some production issues with the new I-Pace:

https://electrek.co/2018/07/26/jaguar-i-pace-delay/

I know, I know, Electrek is a Musk shell fake news outlet... :D

But for real, who could have anticipated high demand and manufacturing difficulty for a desirable electric car??

It does put a dent in the narrative of "Well, once the REAL car builders start making EVs Tesla has no chance."

Also Porche is asking it's workers to pay for a new factory / factory overhaul:

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-rival-porsche-taycan-production-hell/

I'm not saying this is some outright evil. It might end up being a benefit to the workers. But just image what type of stories would be coming out if Tesla did something even remotely like this?

Tesla looks like it might finally be turning the corner; they are steadily producing 4 - 5 k cars a week, profit margins are thought to be good, the performance model 3 gets glowing reviews all around and Q3 + Q4 should be profitable. Still, on the daily mainstream news outlets poo poo all over them.

https://money.cnn.com/2018/07/26/technology/tesla-model-3-reservations/index.html

No wonder Musk as a delusional persecution complex. I mean, I wish he would get his poo poo together and get of Twitter / hire a COO and just focus on pushing cool new vehicles at Tesla, he seems to be good at that. Hire a Gwynne Shotwell equivalent @ Tesla and just spend his time doing crazy tech projects like strapping rockets to the new roadster or whatever.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Wait. People are scared of the Taycan being competition for the S and they are aiming for 20k/year production numbers?! Isn't that less than half of the current S production?

e: 24k for Q1 S+X. So... yeah.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I can't see 'Taycan' without snickering

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

spandexcajun posted:

This but unironically. Do you have that coming from any legitimate news source?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
I don’t have anything official (and I am certainly no Muskrat) but I too have been hearing rumblings that I-Pace production is a little behind. The thing is, Magna knows how to build cars, so I am pretty sure it’ll get on track without any tents being erected or design engineers being made to drive forklifts and work the production line.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

spandexcajun posted:

It does put a dent in the narrative of "Well, once the REAL car builders start making EVs Tesla has no chance."

Does it? Tesla has been making electric cars for over a decade and by their own admission are not anywhere close to modern production standards. It Jaguar starts shipping i-Paces with panel gaps that you can fit a toaster in and hoods that don't shut we can talk.

No one said buying a ground up electric car was easy or there wouldn't be setbacks, just that Elon should stop running his mouth about how amazing and revolutionary his production techniques are when he can't met the standards to ship a 10+ year old Audi.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 28, 2018

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

spandexcajun posted:

Jaguar is having some production issues with the new I-Pace:

https://electrek.co/2018/07/26/jaguar-i-pace-delay/

But for real, who could have anticipated high demand and manufacturing difficulty for a desirable electric car??

Well, there you're talking about another luxury brand. If any of the major players were to make a serious commitment to bringing electric cars fully into the mainstream, then Tesla would be in trouble. Thus far, VW is the only company that looks like they're making the sort of investment that could meaningfully challenge Tesla.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Cockmaster posted:

Well, there you're talking about another luxury brand. If any of the major players were to make a serious commitment to bringing electric cars fully into the mainstream, then Tesla would be in trouble. Thus far, VW is the only company that looks like they're making the sort of investment that could meaningfully challenge Tesla.

BMW is committed to 4.7B. Also Tesla is a luxury brand and their tax credits are phasing out, it's getting a little weird how they aren't held to the basic level standards of luxury cars given their pricing.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Three Olives posted:

BMW is committed to 4.7B. Also Tesla is a luxury brand and their tax credits are phasing out, it's getting a little weird how they aren't held to the basic level standards of luxury cars given their pricing.
They're not sold as luxury cars, they're sold as high priced high performance electrics.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
It would have been amazing if Telsa just ordered a bunch of bodies in white from ford and installed their mechanicals in them and actually had $39k before tax credit 3s.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Elephanthead posted:

It would have been amazing if Telsa just ordered a bunch of bodies in white from ford and installed their mechanicals in them and actually had $39k before tax credit 3s.

They should do that with the F150 and get a truck in the market. With their current release rate and production numbers, it'll be a decade before they get an original design out for 30%+ more than they marketed.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Phuzun posted:

They should do that with the F150 and get a truck in the market. With their current release rate and production numbers, it'll be a decade before they get an original design out for 30%+ more than they marketed.

Why would Ford ever sell F150 bodies to Tesla?

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

For the same reason as the post that I quoted.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Test drove a Zoe. Really liked it. That is until I got home and realized that to get in a spec that isn't disgustingly low quality, I'd have to pay the equivalent of $41.5k (I'm not renting a battery).

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Elephanthead posted:

Except that without designing the vehicle from the ground up to be electric, it can be kind of tricky to squeeze in 200+ miles worth of batteries (at least, without severely compromising cargo space). The most range I've ever seen out of an electric vairant of an ICE car has been 125 miles (e-Golf).

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Because by the time Tesla ever does anything with them, they'll have had their own electric truck on the market for a year or two, and it'll be a new model.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
It doesn't make sense for trucks but ford is abandoning the sedan market.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Elephanthead posted:

It doesn't make sense for trucks but ford is abandoning the sedan market.

I think you'd be surprised at just how little sense there is in truck purchasing decisions.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

blugu64 posted:

Because by the time Tesla ever does anything with them, they'll have had their own electric truck on the market for a year or two, and it'll be a new model.

Not to mention Elon Musk's ego would never allow them to produce any vehicle without the high-tech aesthetic of their current products.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Cockmaster posted:

Not to mention Elon Musk's ego would never allow them to produce any vehicle without the high-tech aesthetic of their current products.

Panel gaps are a high tech aesthetic?

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Cockmaster posted:

The most range I've ever seen out of an electric vairant of an ICE car has been 125 miles (e-Golf).

Kona has 300 mile range and looks identical to the ICE version. Most Konas are normal ICEs, but I would guess that electrification is accounted for in the design of the platform.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Powershift posted:

Panel gaps are a high tech aesthetic?

Might want to look at current production cars.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

MrOnBicycle posted:

Test drove a Zoe. Really liked it. That is until I got home and realized that to get in a spec that isn't disgustingly low quality, I'd have to pay the equivalent of $41.5k (I'm not renting a battery).

I had to look that one up as I hadn't heard of it. I like how the Wikipedia article specified it's pronounced as "Zoe". Yes...

Also there is a woman named Zoe Renault who sued Renault.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
How is it pronounced? I'm not a floppy European.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

LRADIKAL posted:

How is it pronounced? I'm not a floppy European.

That's my question. Zoe is pronounced like Zoe according to the article, which doesn't tell you anything. I'm guessing Zoh-Ee though.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

DoLittle posted:

Kona has 300 mile range and looks identical to the ICE version. Most Konas are normal ICEs, but I would guess that electrification is accounted for in the design of the platform.

If it was released simultaneously in gas and electric, then it most likely would have been designed to hold the big battery pack from the beginning. I was previously referring to taking an established car design, swapping out the engine for an electric motor, and cramming in the batteries wherever they'll fit.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Charles posted:

I had to look that one up as I hadn't heard of it. I like how the Wikipedia article specified it's pronounced as "Zoe". Yes...

Also there is a woman named Zoe Renault who sued Renault.

Pretty sure it's just an iMiev, same thing with that Citeron EV.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
That Taycan line investment stuff is pretty standard German works council shenanigans.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Cockmaster posted:

If it was released simultaneously in gas and electric, then it most likely would have been designed to hold the big battery pack from the beginning. I was previously referring to taking an established car design, swapping out the engine for an electric motor, and cramming in the batteries wherever they'll fit.

Well the ICE Kona has been out since 2017 and the electric is just become available, but they’ve cartainly been designed simultaneously.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Cockmaster posted:

If you had any idea how much the big 3 spend on new truck development you’d never have written this.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

blugu64 posted:

Pretty sure it's just an iMiev, same thing with that Citeron EV.

It's a Renault only. You may be thinking of the Peugeot version.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

DoLittle posted:

I think the 300mi range was the WLTP cycle, and that the EPA numbers would be more like 250. Still pretty good though. I'm most curious about how fast it will be able to charge (e.g. can it take advantage of the 150kw CCS chargers that Electrify America is putting up, and charge at >100kw?).

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Here's some Kona test vlogs. It can only charge at 70 kW. Suspected bottleneck is CCS 1.0 which is limited to 200A, even though the charger is supposed to be able to deliver 175 kW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdfXMdkUl9A&t=456s

318 mi real world range at <55 mph though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq3OoZoUZBA

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

I like Bjorn's enthusiasm. Kona BEV looks pretty good!

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Man_of_Teflon posted:

I think the 300mi range was the WLTP cycle, and that the EPA numbers would be more like 250.

Yeah, that's what Hyundai is advertising on their US website.

Ola posted:

318 mi real world range at <55 mph though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq3OoZoUZBA

How often is anyone going to be driving over 250 miles in one day and staying under 55 mph? At least, apart from taxis/delivery trucks/other professional stuff.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Cockmaster posted:

How often is anyone going to be driving over 250 miles in one day and staying under 55 mph? At least, apart from taxis/delivery trucks/other professional stuff.

Every real world range test comes with some pointless goalpost moving. How often is anyone going to be driving over 250 miles in one day, over 55 mph but refusing to charge along the way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Ola posted:

Every real world range test comes with some pointless goalpost moving. How often is anyone going to be driving over 250 miles in one day, over 55 mph but refusing to charge along the way?

The same way I drive from Vegas to LA and back 270 miles one way without getting gas on the trip? Or the same to and from Ely, NV at 243 miles? I do each a couple times a year, 75+ all the way.

• Locked thread