Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

But I thought it was seamless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Beet Wagon posted:

doors, man

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I love you more.

Just don't clip through my rear end. That's all I ask.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Star Citizen is not in agile devlopment. Star Citizen is in Ben's walk speed devlopment.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Last chance to enter.

Tarquinn posted:

Hello fellow goonie FUDsters.

Speaking of ships, piracy and shooting your guns at other ships, I want to give something back to the community that enables my terribad dark passion of spreading FUD about the greatest game future technological singularity that is Store Citizzer all over the webspaces. For this I have one (1) free copy of an actual good game featuring ships, piracy, and shooting your guns at other ships; Assassin's Creed: Black Flag. So, if you want that free UPlay code, PM me a jpeg of your favorite cool space gun. As soon as I got three entries, I will pick the one I like the most and PM the code.

If you all have that game already and I don't get three PMs, then good for you, the code will go to first person messaging me.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Does the Heavy Plasma from X-Com (og) count as a space gun?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Spiderdrake posted:

Except it doesn't matter.

CIG is obsessed with leaking and distributing information that doesn't matter just as they're obsessed with models and mechanics that don't matter. The reason citizens respond the way they do is how nebulous and meaningless they've been taught the roadmap is. That's the Star Citizen thing right there: Spend so much time training your whales and psuedoshills you end up training yourself. The company has taught itself to replicate stupid patterns, they have scammed themselves into pouring effort into manipulating a narrative that doesn't matter.

It also just shocks me how they can't seem to get it through their heads that they can release joke mechanics as tier zero implementations and push them forward to massive acclaim. How hard is tier zero salvage? A ship blows up. If you're in a salvage craft, you touch the debris and bam you're salvaging. Mining isn't actually anything approaching what mining means in a mmo, but you see citizens posting about how they're being griefed doing this infinitely dull task. These people will lick the sweat from beneath just for a taste of gameplay.

This made me realize something that had been bugging me about the "Tier-0 Implentation" logic (which, let's face it, is actually extended to the entire game and engine, when you think about it.)

I can't think of the specific game right now, it's probably an RTS of some kind, but it starts with you building basic buildings. Let's say a straw hut. That would be the Tier-0 implementation. Then as you get more resources you "upgrade" the building and now it's made of wood. You continue upgrading and it becomes brick, then metal. That is how Star Citizen is billing its development, and what backers think is happening. "Just wait until the huts all get upgraded! Then the game will come out and be good!"

Except that's not how construction works. You don't "upgrade" a straw hut into a wooden building. None of the components that make up the substructure are transferable. You have to know you want a wood building from the get-go. Then you plan for it and build it properly. If there's a straw hut already there, it has to be torn down. Not even the materials are transferable. This is true all the way up the tier chain.

The same is true of development. The implication at CIG (because everything at CIG is implication) is that the "Tier-0 Mining" will be "upgraded" over time into more complex forms, when the baseline they've built will not support anything other than what's there. So they'll try to bend it to their will, hacking at the code until it's a Lovecraftian nightmare of code barely suitable for the task it was "upgraded" to perform.

The entire game is like this, right down to the base PTU itself - the "Tier-0" of what Star Citizen is supposed to be, that's completely unfit for purpose and will never run as well as a properly built and designed code base would have.

This entire "game" has been coded on the fly, with the only actions spurring it forward being 1) selling new poo poo, and 2) "proving" the game exists for various legal reasons. What else could they do? The game isn't even designed on a basic level - it shouldn't even be possible to start coding until you know what your game is, but that doesn't sell ships.

It's one of the reasons I'm looking forward to the collapse - once real developers start picking through the wreckage, we'll have laughs here for months, if not years.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jul 28, 2018

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Crytek winning the lawsuit (not getting any money cause lol it's all gone) then publishing all of cigs code out of spite would be pretty interesting.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Daztek posted:

doors, man

Fuckin doors. They take literal years to get not right.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Scruffpuff posted:

This made me realize something that had been bugging me about the "Tier-0 Implentation" logic (which, let's face it, is actually extended to the entire game and engine, when you think about it.)

I can't think of the specific game right now, it's probably an RTS of some kind, but it starts with you building basic buildings. Let's say a straw hut. That would be the Tier-0 implementation. Then as you get more resources you "upgrade" the building and now it's made of wood. You continue upgrading and it becomes brick, then metal.

That is the basic mechanics of most freemium 'Clash of Clans' style mobile games.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Lladre posted:

Then someone walks up to me.

“Oh, you ‘lone, Sister? Ain’ i’ late?” the man says.

Strangers don’t just walk up to you in Bazaar Street.

“Or ‘hapse you ain’ Sister. Null tha’. is i’ rat. Yeah. Gear rat. Street rat eve’.” The man had taken another few steps towards me and stopped again when I backed away.

What did he say? All the panic of a few minutes ago shoots back into my mind and stiffens my spine. I don’ eve’ got a slag.

I turn to look at the man for the first time. He’s rough and poor looking, but better dressed than I’d expected. He is shaved but unremarkable. I see the shadow of a face I remember well.

Boss Dirk.

He knows the score is 1-0 but it’s like he’s waiting for me to say something.

“Hello, Dirk.” I strip him of his title and acknowledge him at the same time. He flinches. I put on my best imitation of Mom Super’s passive expression and purposefully study him back.

Score: 1-1

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
This story features women and children. So it’s, like, 15 years from implementation in SC.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Scruffpuff posted:

It's one of the reasons I'm looking forward to the collapse - once real developers start picking through the wreckage, we'll have laughs here for months, if not years.
The collapse is going to be great. We'll see several cultists pushed to the breaking point either trying to defend, rationalize or excuse, and we'll get answers on what the gently caress they've been doing all this time. Like, how many millions were just spent building ads and doing mocap on random crap. It's going to take years to unpack.

I was re-watching some of the Bootcha videos last night and it still strikes me how their ads, while still kind of inept, come off as something they put a lot of effort into. I really wonder what we're going to find out about that, if a lot of their studios and talent are bent entirely toward macro-transactions.

As for the tier zero stuff, it's an interesting pantomime, another example of their delightful pretend development we like to harp on about. In early development you would expect simplified versions of mechanics, and the cultists understand just enough to excuse it. Even beyond what you said, the idea of "tier zero" should be to prove gameplay loops solid and build working systems around while they don't worry about the activity since its pre-alpha. But like I said, mining the activity is not the crux of mining the mechanic. It implies an economic system and an on ramp to active commerce, which they're not working on, because that eventually leads to the Rome that is Ships for Not-Cash.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_LgG4hktvI

Elaborate humor made while trying to understand game development better. :ohdear:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Pixelate posted:

Old guard not happy...

gently caress's a grand marshall? That's not on the list.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
https://twitter.com/abigbat/status/1023136687457792001
https://twitter.com/wtfmig/status/1023137490390212610

Neltharak posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_LgG4hktvI

Elaborate humor made while trying to understand game development better. :ohdear:

It has potential — needs a proper ending!

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Lladre posted:

Crytek winning the lawsuit (not getting any money cause lol it's all gone) then publishing all of cigs code out of spite would be pretty interesting.

"Code"

really the only things i hope to see one day is the AMD letter and the raw capture of the SQ42 mocap... and you just know roberts ego didnt let him capture it without a making off... that stuff and the AMD letter...

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Midnight Voyager posted:

gently caress's a grand marshall? That's not on the list.

Think of the player leading a parade of poo poo.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Thoatse posted:

This cat lives on a horse farm and thinks it's a tiny horse

I don't care for cats much, but this is a loving top notch post of a top notch kitty.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Scruffpuff posted:

Except that's not how construction works. You don't "upgrade" a straw hut into a wooden building. None of the components that make up the substructure are transferable. You have to know you want a wood building from the get-go. Then you plan for it and build it properly. If there's a straw hut already there, it has to be torn down. Not even the materials are transferable. This is true all the way up the tier chain.

This is an interesting point, because not only are the materials not transferrable, if you're making a wooden building and the straw hut is there, you're actually adding extra work. Planning in architecture (or anything else really) is incredibly important, for this exact reason. Making a change when nothing is built is cheap and easy, because it's just lines in a CAD program. If you build a wall in your new house, put a floor in top of it, and then run electrical through it, when you want to take it out, you've actually created even more work than just putting in a wall there in the first place.

Tier 0 implementations, especially in a case like this, are loving stupid because you have to do the work to make it, then do more work to undo that work, THEN do what you should have done if you had a good plan from the beginning.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm starting to suspect that CIG's project management may be less than adequate.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Natron posted:

This is an interesting point, because not only are the materials not transferrable, if you're making a wooden building and the straw hut is there, you're actually adding extra work. Planning in architecture (or anything else really) is incredibly important, for this exact reason. Making a change when nothing is built is cheap and easy, because it's just lines in a CAD program. If you build a wall in your new house, put a floor in top of it, and then run electrical through it, when you want to take it out, you've actually created even more work than just putting in a wall there in the first place.

Tier 0 implementations, especially in a case like this, are loving stupid because you have to do the work to make it, then do more work to undo that work, THEN do what you should have done if you had a good plan from the beginning.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm starting to suspect that CIG's project management may be less than adequate.

Sounds like somebody doesn't understand game development.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
And that somebody is Chris Roberts.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

This video is pretty good y'all. And quite funny sometimes

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Beet Wagon posted:

It’s funny you should post that because I have wonderful news: they finally put the grim reaper sign back in the bottom of Blue! I’ve been looking for it for years but apparently someone had stolen it.

Oh poo poo you guys must only be a couple hours from where I'm stationed now. That's in central Florida right?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/92sl2j/mandalore_appears_in_a_followup_video_about_sc/

Downvoted within 10 second of posting. NOT A CULT.

What's the over under on my reddit account getting banned for evil gewn fud?

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jul 29, 2018

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I've been travelling for work for the past week and I'm catching up on the latest news from the Verse. Man that ATV was pitiful, it amounted to "hey guys there really are things to do in this barren procedural wasteland of 3.5 moons!". That mining competition looked like the most boring thing ever, just paid streamers trying desperately to conjure gameplay out of this irredeemable mess. Also, the 25 on 25 FPS match was so janky and awkward that Halo 2 looks light years ahead in comparison.

Again there was no mention of Hurston or ArcCorp. They seem to be signalling more and more that 3.3 will be another empty patch that fails to even deliver on the original 3.0 promise, and the current tiny scope of the PU is here to stay for quite a while. After six years progress is really looking good towards those 100 star systems.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

The magic with which Chris Roberts lies is seamless.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Is there a bingo card? I’ve seen “click bait, doesn’t understand, you can’t see the progress, no deadline so it’s not late and creating drama” in the comments so I think I’m close to a bingo.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001
Broad features No Man's Sky has that Star Citizen should have by now:

Present at No Man's Sky launch(9 August 2016):

Get a better ship than the starter ship with in game credits.
Do something with mined resources other than mindless converting them into credits.
Engage in ground FPS against AI.
Travel to another system.
Aliens.
Water.

Patch 1.1(26 November 2016):

Claim and build a base.
Acquire a capital ship in game.
Farming.

Patch 1.2(8 March 2017)
Acquire a ground vehicle in game.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Look at this fair and balanced critique of the new feature length video.

Yes, obviously "CharlatanWonder" is calling CIG Nazis, that's the big takeaway.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

:allears:

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames

Look at all these fools thinking THIS is gonna be the "only" refactor 3.3 goes through .
Remember, this is only the tier 0 design of 3.3.

...that's some nice Object Container Streaming you got there ;)

EDIT: Tried NMS Next. It still runs like crap on my PC, with constant hitching, low-range pop-in and massive hang-ups when I'm flying around the surface.
It looks prettier, sure. But the biggest issue since day one, the poo poo performance is still very much there.
I've looked around, apparently I'm not alone in this. Even tried manually setting the number of threads and CPU allocation in the cfg file (THAT Sample_Text)
So I guess they're running on CIG logic: If you have a PC three times the recommended settings, it MIGHT work?

Sample_text fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jul 29, 2018

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/92sl2j/mandalore_appears_in_a_followup_video_about_sc/

Downvoted within 10 second of posting. NOT A CULT.

What's the over under on my reddit account getting banned for evil gewn fud?

Top upvoted comment:

quote:

Derek Smart in the comments lmao

Most relevant thing they can say is that DS made a comment? They really have a fixation don't they?

Second most upvoted comment:

quote:

who?

Ah, try and dismiss the video by dismissing the creator? Hmm... he has 21k followers, that's not bad. Never heard of him myself either (although of course, heard of Mandalore and Yamiks). Mandalore has 143k subs. Yamiks 46k. Montoya has 9k.... hmmm, so, if worth of listening to is based on popularity, then these guys punch above their weight compaared to Montoya.

Third place.... this is golden.

quote:

The guy says he's neutral, yet the video title is "Has Star Citizen Already Failed?"... a game that's undergoing major engine work and is heavily WIP. The game isn't even a priority for CIG, SQ42 currently is the focus.

O'rly? If that is the case, then why is all their news and media all about SC and not SQ42? And not a single fan contradicts him on this? Amazing!

Next one...

quote:

This guy doesn’t really seem to understand much about this game or how general game development works.

Oh man, they still pull out the "they just don't understand software development" meme.

It is only with the last comment where someone says they even watched some of it. Earlier ones seem to have just dismissed without watching.

Stay classy SC!

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Thoatse posted:

This cat lives on a horse farm and thinks it's a tiny horse

There's a parallel here with cultists thinking (at best, when it's not just their go-to meme) that they understand game development because they have been watching weekly ATVs. Or because they are that kazan.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Am i blind for not seeing "buying ships with in-game currency" there? Did they just flat out remove it?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Kikas posted:

Am i blind for not seeing "buying ships with in-game currency" there? Did they just flat out remove it?

Don't think that's ever been on the roadmap, they just keep saying it'll come in patch x.y, renting ships at least, no idea about buying

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Star Citizen: More pay to win than a brothel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Dooooors :argh: