Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

site posted:

in case anyones interested theres a tribes 1 20th anniversary thread for the weekend i guess
Thanks for the heads up, the event mentioned seems pretty far off (end of November!) but I'm passing around some circles that might be interested, so hopefully they'll get some more fresh meat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Tribes was cool!

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I missed out on Tribes but played the hell out of Tribes 2. Never got good at it tho. Such a unique multiplayer experience that sadly, will probably never be replicated.

I also remember the Tribal Warfare community being full of some really insane people and never figured out why.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Never got good at it tho. Such a unique multiplayer experience that sadly, will probably never be replicated.

Even if some group comes along and tries to make a faithful remake of these old multiplayer games it just seems they can never capture the same magic.

Just look at a case like Savage Resurrection.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Tribes is one of those games that I've seen lots of people praise, but I don't know what the deal with it is. It is just a CTF game or what?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Max Wilco posted:

Tribes is one of those games that I've seen lots of people praise, but I don't know what the deal with it is. It is just a CTF game or what?

It's a CTF game in wide open levels with lots of varied terrain, where every player is equipped with a jetpack and is capable of sliding without friction across any surface, and where all projectiles obey principles of inertia and velocity inheritance

It's pretty wild, and doesn't really play like anything else

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Plus it had vehicles in 1998 etc, different feel from other games at the time. Some of the kinda funny stuff you see in PUBG now was happening back then, a full vehicle driving off into the promised land at the horizon, wild stuff.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
back in the day wide open maps and playercounts like that were new and exciting

iirc the only other popular game like it was Delta Force but you couldn't ski across the map

also tribes was the first FPS i remember where playing a support role was as fun and felt like there was more to do than just run around killing people if you wanted

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Oh poo poo, cool news as Death Wish 1.5 is in development. Mostly multiplayer changes for co-op, but a couple tweaks to singleplayer sounds good.

Oh, and then there's this. All I'm going to say is that the Vortex Rikers looks awfully greeble-y.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

catlord posted:

Oh, and then there's this. All I'm going to say is that the Vortex Rikers looks awfully greeble-y.
The screenshots of the original Unreal confused me until I realized they were supposed to be before-and-after shots. Nothing in the new shots looks like Unreal.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

catlord posted:

Oh and then there's this. All I'm going to say is that the Vortex Rikers looks awfully greeble-y.

That level deisgner knows how to art real good.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Arivia posted:

That level deisgner knows how to art real good.

That’s Level Deisgner to you

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

catlord posted:

tfw when your 2018 remake looks worse than the 1998 original

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's a good replacement when it looks like a 2 dollar unity horror game on steam and i'm expecting a lumpy zombie to shuffle out of a door to chase me

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Max Wilco posted:

Tribes is hard to explain. Its kinda like Battlefield mixed with Planetside mixed with Quake 3.

It has faster movement than Quake, which is kinda insane. All players have jetpacks and you can do some really crazy physics things with "skiing" down slopes and jetpacking up and whatnot. Environments are huge and mostly outdoor.

There's vehicles, classes, multiple weapons, bases, turrets, all kinds of weird stuff. And way back when most FPS were just doing deathmatch arenas, or CTF arenas.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

catlord posted:

Looks like a fake game they'd play on Law & Order: Special Victims Unit.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Someone turned off the sun.

czg
Dec 17, 2005
hi
It looks like they've exported their meshes with smooth vertex normals, but not taking that into account in the normal maps.

E: Yeah that Vortex Rikers is a prime example of broken normals.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Unreal is one of my GOAT but I rather not even see amateur "remakes" and with Epic riding the fortshite wave I don't expect a remaster of sorts for its 20th anniversary or w/e.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I woke up today thinking that NecroVisioN was a game that existed. I wish that had gotten a sequel but Farm51 seems to have gotten obsessed with making first person adventure games for some reason.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

GUI posted:

I woke up today thinking that NecroVisioN was a game that existed. I wish that had gotten a sequel but Farm51 seems to have gotten obsessed with making first person adventure games for some reason.

I mean, it did. Necrovison: Lost Company. Prequel I guess.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I played it and it owned but it was more of an expansion pack than a sequel.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
For the Tribes vets, how does it compare to modern takes like Titanfall 2? I loved mastering the movement system in that to the point where I was able to zip around the map, gaining momentum and rocketing over enemies while being a zippy little pain in the rear end to giant robots that can easily one-shot me.

Combined with the EPG (basically a Quake rocket launcher in a hitscan-dominated game) it was poo poo tons of fun.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
There's zero parkour involved and most maps are open, hilly terrain, but if you enjoyed mastering Titanfall movement mechanics you'll enjoy mastering skiing in Tribes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Wild T posted:

For the Tribes vets, how does it compare to modern takes like Titanfall 2? I loved mastering the movement system in that to the point where I was able to zip around the map, gaining momentum and rocketing over enemies while being a zippy little pain in the rear end to giant robots that can easily one-shot me.

Combined with the EPG (basically a Quake rocket launcher in a hitscan-dominated game) it was poo poo tons of fun.

Its closer to quake strafejumping than titanfall mobility, and 1000x faster than titanfall. Titanfall is like jumping around a building, Tribes is jumping at literally 300mph and skipping over hills and mountains.

People who were really good at skiing around and hitting people with the disc gun in tribes were more impressive to me than the best quake3 pros.

Look at this nonsense: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR8lCBxs4fw

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Decided to get a Logitech M570 and it's alright I guess. I feel like it doesn't have enough inertia or something? If the ball were just slightly heavier this would be great.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mak0rz posted:

Decided to get a Logitech M570 and it's alright I guess. I feel like it doesn't have enough inertia or something? If the ball were just slightly heavier this would be great.

Well the MX Ergo definitely has that.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

fishmech posted:

Well the MX Ergo definitely has that.

I... don't get that impression from testimonials and reviews I see online. Do replacement balls with different weights exist?

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
The Quake Awards are all done up for this year. Hopefully it will be a recurring thing!

I would recommend not just looking at the overall winners; the various shortlists/mentions are good stuff too.

Honorable mentions: http://www.quakeawards.com/2018/07/28/2018-honourable-mentions/

Shortlists: http://www.quakeawards.com/2018-awards-shortlist/

Additional content: http://www.quakeawards.com/2018/07/27/additional-content-highlights/

Winners: http://www.quakeawards.com/2018-award-winners/

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I'm really happy Quake still has an active modding scene after all these years :)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Which is better,

The sound of doomguy opening a door

Or

The sound of quake ranger jumping

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAKYbWUeBWk

It never loving ends!!!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

according to the comments, it's literally a kid's school project so don't worry about it

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Arivia posted:

according to the comments, it's literally a kid's school project so don't worry about it

Ooooh I see. Well, more power to 'em then.

Anyone ever play Codename Tenka on the PS1? I'm looking for some obscure old FPSes to try out and it looks intriguing. The PS1 had a lot more shooters than I originally thought.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Ooooh I see. Well, more power to 'em then.

Anyone ever play Codename Tenka on the PS1? I'm looking for some obscure old FPSes to try out and it looks intriguing. The PS1 had a lot more shooters than I originally thought.

One of my friends had it back in the day. I remember enjoying it.

Disclaimer: I was like 11 at the time

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Some footage of this version of GZDoomVR, graphics settings set to make it look like the software renderer, tonemapped to the original 256 color palette along with some nice stuff like AO and coloured lighting. Here: https://streamable.com/s/53cmy/lhazon

It plays pretty well, controls aren't super great as movement with the touchpad is binary but it's controller directed which offsets that a bit. It's quite comfortable except for going up steps which feels flaky.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 30, 2018

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Tribes 1 was a genuinely unique specimen of online fps's. Sliding/jetting across the gigantic maps was inredibly awesome, as was sniping enemied from a gazillion miles away.

I miss playing that game.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i really miss tribes ascend i had a ton of fun in that game

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Yeah I had a lot of honest fun with all of the tribeseses.

Haven't tried Midair yet. Something about it seemed a little bare-bones at launch (fair enough for a small-team indie thing) and before I could circle back around to it it seems to have gone on life support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Midair is fantastic, but they definitely screwed up the timing. I remember it feeling super lacking when I first bought into the early access. However when it hit 1.0, it was a solid Tribes game. Unfortunately, no one cared anymore at that point. :smithicide: