Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Now that I think about it even more the game should just rip off the georama system from dark cloud for anything building related

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

theblackw0lf posted:

Upgrading the scanner can be a massive money maker. In the video he finds one that increased the scanning of flora by about 8,000% He was making an average of 20,000 credits per scan of basic plants.

yeah this is the main thing cause if you're like me and you hop planets a lot, getting 50k for every little plant and 100k for animals adds up super fast

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

theblackw0lf posted:

Also instead of trying to repair a crashed ship, just fix the launch thrusters and propulsion system, and then fly to a space station, go to ships that land, offer to buy, and if your ship is worth as much or more than the other you can trade your ship and get a brand new fixed ship, for essentially free.

i was able to trade a 40-slot hauler with like 2/3 busted slots for a 28-slot class A explorer and i'm very happy thank you

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

This is officially a great game, there is at least one good Kojima reference in it:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

precision posted:

yeah this is the main thing cause if you're like me and you hop planets a lot, getting 50k for every little plant and 100k for animals adds up super fast

I have 3 S-upgrades stacked that each give around 9000%. i get 350k for big animals, 150k for trees and poo poo. still nothing for rocks because rocks suck.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Retro42 posted:

This one made my day earlier. I was just messing around exploring, when on impulse I hopped in a black hole. 1.2mil LY. After I started the Artemis triangulation quest. That option popped up and saved me a ton of work.

You can game the gently caress out of this.

1. get a collection of stations a really long ways from your base by joining people's game online and visiting the station in their system
2. fly back to your home planet
3. relocate all the missions onto your home planet

Then you have all the supplies and everything to do it, and all the missions are within a 2 minute flight. If you have 5 or 6 of the same mission, doing one does them all.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

dogs with tiny flapping wings wont leave me alone

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
maaaaan

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

juggalo baby coffin posted:

so i like this game, but it has the worst interface ever.

like I just found out that the upgrade modules for temperature/toxic/radiation etc aren't just flat passive bonuses, they're separate shields that totally block environmental damage as long as they're charged on top of your default hazardous protection. They're also charged using either ion batteries OR a resource that is common on the extreme type of world you use them on. So the fire shield is charged with phosphorous, the cold one is charged with dioxide, etc.

they're insanely useful for exploring the extreme worlds but they just look like a % upgrade module so I didn't try buying one for a looong time. Now I can chill out in a firestorm on a lava planet and just periodically charge it up with the phosphorous I get from mining random rocks.

Got one heat shield and it's incredibly useful.

In the hot storms on my base planet which happens to be a tropical planet with lushious forests and several islands. No phosphorous however but I manage with light bulbs just fine.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

And yet it still only does 600 damage a hit on enemy ships, so either the baseline phase cannon does 10 damage a pop, or something is hosed up with the displayed % or the calculation.

Also, something is getting hosed up in the ship procedural generation algorithm:

(the one on the right isn't bigger, it was flying off)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Wingnut Ninja posted:

And yet it still only does 600 damage a hit on enemy ships, so either the baseline phase cannon does 10 damage a pop, or something is hosed up with the displayed % or the calculation.

Also, something is getting hosed up in the ship procedural generation algorithm:

(the one on the right isn't bigger, it was flying off)

Probably a little of both. The mining laser on the vehicles is supposed to be 5000% damage but it still can't cut down a tree.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Waffle House posted:

This is officially a great game, there is at least one good Kojima reference in it:

I was going to say "That was there since launch... which was before Death Stranding's reveal." and then I looked up the dates and, wow, NMS came out 2 months later. gently caress me.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
I can't snap my container to my wooden base. Why? Also, can you relocate the base computer if you want to change the position where you land after teleporting?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

limaCAT posted:

I can't snap my container to my wooden base. Why? Also, can you relocate the base computer if you want to change the position where you land after teleporting?

Containers don't seem to snap to buildings anymore. In my last base, they were one whole wall of my greenhouse.

The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006
Resource deposits stopped showing up when I looked brought my scanners. Is there a specific reason for this or a bug? I just switched to the waveform recycler, does this matter?

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Powershift posted:

Containers don't seem to snap to buildings anymore. In my last base, they were one whole wall of my greenhouse.

gently caress!!!!!! My OCD :negative:

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

These things count as animals and slouch around outside my base. The pineapple hoppers come in 3 different sizes which each count as a speices of animal. It's an odd place.
You can see how huge the rings are in the sky behind it, I couldn't get them to fit in a screenshot.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I have to move my whole mushroom farm after that disaster. It took a lot of poo poo to make

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

Found this gigantic thing in a Gek system.

It cost me a shitton of units but it was worth it. Reminds me of the Homeworld 2 Hiigaran battlecruiser.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Overall impressions of this patch? I've read through the last couple pages and saw a lot of mentions of bugs, but how does this compare to expectations from the initial launch? Trying to decide if I want to pick it up.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

Overall impressions of this patch? I've read through the last couple pages and saw a lot of mentions of bugs, but how does this compare to expectations from the initial launch? Trying to decide if I want to pick it up.

Unbelievably buggy. Almost everything they added is crippled in some way. It's still fun.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

Frankly it's about as buggy and clunky as it was at the original launch, but this time we have precedent that they'll iron things out in the coming months.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

1. The wiki is outdated when it lists regular freighters and capital freighters given that everything is capital now (perhaps capital and super capital are more appropriate now EVE:O style). Barring aesthetics what are the differences between the two classes?

2. Has anyone confirmed that you can scum your way to the large variant of the star destroyer for your free freighter ( resurgent class? Also how do S classes fit in to this?

3. Can we please start a spreadsheet of the bonus ranges for S class upgrades (we could for example require screenshots for submissions that top the current known max) so that people know what’s worth rerolling or not for the min maxers amongst us? There’s so much unknown with this game that it would be great to finally start understand the numbers behind this game.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
So just to put it out there it seems like you can't have more than 3 upgrades to any specific system in your exosuit, but all 3 can be S level. 3 S level scanner upgrades really brings in the bucks. That one is definitely additive but some may be multiplicative. Also the shotgun thing is a dramatic upgrade from the boltcaster as far as dps goes. Haven't tried the other one because I haven't done any base building and it requires a mineral you can only make with that.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Shooting Blanks posted:

The launch of every major patch (this is the 4th) has a 2-4 week extreme bug fixing period, after which most of the worst ones are gone while all the corner cases either get taken care of or stick around forever.

Pick it up while it's on sale, play it in 3 weeks, you'll be glad you spent the $25.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i've seen some loving massive freighters, every freighter fight i've run into since getting my free one has been a collosal 30 unit thing. wish i'd run into that one before my cheapo one i got free.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

So just to put it out there it seems like you can't have more than 3 upgrades to any specific system in your exosuit, but all 3 can be S level. 3 S level scanner upgrades really brings in the bucks. That one is definitely additive but some may be multiplicative.
Inside the game's Guide it explains the 3-stack thing. The additive vs multiplicative is currently unknown but assume additive as multiplicatives would mean some insane numbers that I haven't seen anything hit yet.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
I'm not very good at math but I'm definitely getting the +18000% bonus or whatever all three scanners add up to. I assume with things like weapons or whatever it'll be different though.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

3 S-class scanners + lens + scanner = +24,695 flora, 26,341 flora, 104% scan radius, and is 100% worth it

The star ship phase beam and one S-class upgrade has +76% head dispersion and +6139% damage. it rips through 3 star pirates in about 6 shots just by tapping shoot. it also instantly blows up space rocks with a tap. also 100% worth it

The plasma launcher with 2 S class upgrades has +400% projectile velocity, +72% damage, +200% bounce potential, +22% explosion radius. It one-shots most sentinels. it's REALLY easy to blow yourself up though. Maybe worth it.

3 S-class mining lasers let you take down a tree in 1 charge, metal fingers still take 3-4 charges.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Everyone hyping up these scanner upgrades. Meanwhile 7 warps later and still haven't seen anything bigger than C rank Scan mods

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Is there a good farming guide that is about growing poo poo up and not about "farm mad money fast"?

How many secondary missions can you stack at once?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
My brother just turned in the 105 missions he picked up while station randoming to get suit slots, so lots.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Dackel posted:

Everyone hyping up these scanner upgrades. Meanwhile 7 warps later and still haven't seen anything bigger than C rank Scan mods

Have you tried scrolling the seller menu down and up? (That is an easily missable thing)

E:

Azhais posted:

My brother just turned in the 105 missions he picked up while station randoming to get suit slots, so lots.

Nice. I think I am going to collect them all.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Hyperdrive questions!

1. What's the furthest you can jump? I'm up to about 700 ly. Is there a limit of stacking S upgrades?

2. What's the use of the colored drives? They don't seem to increase my jump range and I can still go to all colored systems without its drive?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So, a random exotic ship decided to land on my freighter. I bought it, and switched back to my normal ship to finish off whatever business I had in the current system. When I was done doing whatever on the planet below, I resummoned my freighter, but when I landed, I noticed that the exotic ship I just bought was nowhere to be seen.

Any chance it'll show up again eventually? It "only" cost around 7 mil, so not too big of a loss, but still.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
am i missing something about getting new ships?

nav data -> signal booster -> 10 nonsense results before distress signal -> nothing there but a distress signal that doesnt do anything

ive found a ship before that save got completely hosed and i had to restart but ive yet to find another broken ship since and ive been actively searching

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jul 29, 2018

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

limaCAT posted:

Is there a good farming guide that is about growing poo poo up and not about "farm mad money fast"?

How many secondary missions can you stack at once?

Farming changed quite a bit with this update

Basically, everything requires minerals to plant now, minerals usually found in the biome the plant is from and you can make a small base with a terminus on a planet matching the biome of the plant and just warp in there to collect it. If you want to plant a lot, find a station that sells the mineral you need and buy in bulk. Every plant needs 25 chromatic metal, so stock up on that and copper as well.

If you care about money, 12 mushrooms to 2 cacti to 1 mordite makes $2m in liquid explosive an hour.

e: if i get more than 5 pages of missions, it corrupts the autosave and can't spawn stations.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

It'd sure be nice if there was some way to sell ships. Even if a badly damaged 30-slot ship only sold for a half-mil units, it'd be nice. I just realized all I'm going to be able to do is juggle them to trade one for a better ship when it comes in, not pool them towards a major ship upgrade or a new freighter.

Broken Cog posted:

So, a random exotic ship decided to land on my freighter. I bought it, and switched back to my normal ship to finish off whatever business I had in the current system. When I was done doing whatever on the planet below, I resummoned my freighter, but when I landed, I noticed that the exotic ship I just bought was nowhere to be seen.

Any chance it'll show up again eventually? It "only" cost around 7 mil, so not too big of a loss, but still.

Try having your freighter jump to another system. I had 3 badly damaged distress ships on 3 different planets (just repaired launch and engines), and they all magically appeared on my freighter when it jumped.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Dackel posted:

Don't knock C-class Scan mods! I grabbed a cheap one from my first station and was surprised to see it had a +1000% bonus to fauna-scans. Sure, plants and rocks give no bonus, but every animal scanned now gives tons of money -and this from a C-rank mod. So I suggest buying one of those as long as you can't find a better one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Verviticus posted:

am i missing something about getting new ships?

nav data -> signal booster -> 10 nonsense results before distress signal -> nothing there but a distress signal that doesnt do anything

ive found a ship before that save got completely hosed and i had to restart but ive yet to find another broken ship since and ive been actively searching

The only ship I've found with a distress signal was just bits and pieces when I got to it :v: I just buy em from the folks at the space station.

Speaking of space stations boy do I wish there were some basic crafting commodities on them. I'd love even a small refiner as I forget to convert all my minerals to chromatic metal before taking off, and it's annoying to go back to the planet for it.