Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Bobbie Wickham posted:

Don't drink Soylent, it's made by an unqualified idiot man-child in a wretched factory with questionable hygeine and food safety standards. You'll get a brain mold or something.

Doesn't the guy think that pooping is something we do because our food isn't efficient enough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Soylent is bad because they have no quality controls or oversight and the guy who invented it has no experience in how to handle, store, or package foodstuffs in a sterile environment, which is why they keep having to run recalls when shipped formula is infested with black mold.

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013
everyone is miserable because they've watched too much netflix

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Cinaedus Defututus posted:

how bad could it be? the manufacturing process is just mixing a bunch of powders together, right?

if soylent is bad, then i would try mealsquares. but soylent has the advantage of being more filling.

most soylent production meets the standards of GMP in the current day, btw.

Have you tried Huel? Macros are roughly even 1/3s and sugar's 5g per 2,000 calories. Ingredients are pretty normal.

I use it to replace the odd meal and it's definitely curtailed my habit for takeout and microwave crap.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah I have Huel for breakfast most days. Sometimes just on its own with water, sometimes with fruit blended in. Throw a handful of blueberries in with three scoops and it's around 500 calories, actually tastes really good, and will fill you up easily until lunch. It's mostly oatmeal, pea protein, brown rice protein and flax seeds. Also because it's made here in the UK the standards for hygiene etc. are likely to be stricter than what the Soylent dude does.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 29, 2018

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I'm currently partial to espresso powder, matcha powder and cacao powder. Gonna have to find some berry powders one of these days.

tyk00n
Sep 25, 2006

College Slice

Bobbie Wickham posted:

Don't drink Soylent, it's made by an unqualified idiot man-child in a wretched factory with questionable hygeine and food safety standards. You'll get a brain mold or something.

I've switched from soylent to something that I'm sure is just as bad (Canada banned the import of Soylent), but honestly the quality of my life has improved enough for me to be 'meh' about it

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Accretionist posted:

I'm currently partial to espresso powder, matcha powder and cacao powder. Gonna have to find some berry powders one of these days.

Why not buy some actual berries? Blueberries are yummy, not that expensive right now (in the UK at least) and good for you.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bardeh posted:

Why not buy some actual berries? Blueberries are yummy, not that expensive right now (in the UK at least) and good for you.

blueberries are unbelievably expensive in some parts of the world. a literal handful of blueberries, like fifteen or twenty, costs $6 in hawaii

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

The White Dragon posted:

blueberries are unbelievably expensive in some parts of the world. a literal handful of blueberries, like fifteen or twenty, costs $6 in hawaii

drat. It's been a good year here for soft fruits, I can get two punnets of blueberries for around $4 right now. Tons of cheap strawbs and cherries around too.

Cinaedus Defututus
Mar 21, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Accretionist posted:

Have you tried Huel? Macros are roughly even 1/3s and sugar's 5g per 2,000 calories. Ingredients are pretty normal.

I use it to replace the odd meal and it's definitely curtailed my habit for takeout and microwave crap.

where can you get a good amount of the stuff at a competitive price?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Standard price is the only price. Works out to $2 and change per 500 cal shake.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Somfin posted:

Doesn't the guy think that pooping is something we do because our food isn't efficient enough?

Yes. IIRC he deliberately killed his gut bacteria with antibiotics and then had to get a poop transplant in order to not die

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

meet girls at the store posted:

Exercised for two hours today and burned over 1,000 calories despite being a fat piece of poo poo. :hai: You can do it, fatty goons.

No you didn't

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Huel is awesome and worth it.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
In central Pennsylvania I get a big thing of fresh blueberries (like 2-3 cups or so?) for $1.99 at Aldi. I buy like two boxes at a time and put 1/4 cup into my yogurt every single morning.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Goddamn corn muffins, fresh honey, fresh blueberries, milk, coconut fried chicken. Need to get back in the kitchen. :feelsgood:

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002

feelix posted:

No you didn't

Depends on how accurate you think heart rate monitors are :shrug: The two hours of intense suffering definitely happened though, ask my lats how I know

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
no one really knows how many calories "exercise" burns. That's why it's good to never include it in your daily calorie calculations

Just go to 10 different sites explaining it and you'll probably get 10 different answers

2 hours is most likely not 1000 calories though, especially if it was just gymming

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jul 29, 2018

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Got a cruise coming up in a month so we are going on a diet. All we are doing is switching to smoking instead of alcohol and switching pasta to salad, and add some weight lifting. Currently at 177 and hope to be down to at least 160. Probably won't be difficult at all.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Then proceed to go HAM on the cruise

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

Over There posted:

Got a cruise coming up in a month so we are going on a diet. All we are doing is switching to smoking instead of alcohol and switching pasta to salad, and add some weight lifting. Currently at 177 and hope to be down to at least 160. Probably won't be difficult at all.

Losing 17 pounds in a month is a dangerously bad idea

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

friendly 2 da void posted:

Losing 17 pounds in a month is a dangerously bad idea

Okay then not 17 pounds

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
I go by the rule of thumb that a kilo bodyfat is roughly 7000-8000 calories (3500/pound) depending on where you check facts and how the moon correlates to mars, so lets just go by that.

To lose 17 pounds were looking at roughly 1 pound/2 days so roughly 1500-2000 calories deficit per day.
Every day.
For a month straight.

Possible, but i wouldnt recommend it.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I go by the rule of thumb that a kilo bodyfat is roughly 7000-8000 calories depending on where you check facts and how the moon correlates to mars, so lets just go by that.

To lose 17 pounds were looking at roughly 1 pound/2 days so roughly 2000 calories deficit per day.
Every day.
For a month straight.

Possible, but i wouldnt recommend it.

Oh yeah I'm not trying anything like that. Moreso just eating better, exercising, and not drinking and see what happens

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Over There posted:

Oh yeah I'm not trying anything like that. Moreso just eating better, exercising, and not drinking and see what happens

Not drinking is possible the single best thing you can do, or start with. Combine with lifting heavy stuff, even if its yourself.
Looking good is not only decided by not being fat, but also by having muscle below the skin. wisdom that many girls dont possess, being not-fat doesnt equal looking good.
Its an excellent start however.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

meet girls at the store posted:

Depends on how accurate you think heart rate monitors are :shrug: The two hours of intense suffering definitely happened though, ask my lats how I know

I’d be amazed if you were burning more than 350 an hour. Now remove the ‘I’m alive, upright, breathing, moving and metabolising’ calories. Maybe 400 max for 2 hours, if you are working at Olympic intensity. Lying to yourself, or to be charitable, overestimating your calorie burn, will not aid your quest to lose weight in the long run. Better to see things as they are, in my opinion.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,

Torquemada posted:

I’d be amazed if you were burning more than 350 an hour. Now remove the ‘I’m alive, upright, breathing, moving and metabolising’ calories. Maybe 400 max for 2 hours, if you are working at Olympic intensity. Lying to yourself, or to be charitable, overestimating your calorie burn, will not aid your quest to lose weight in the long run. Better to see things as they are, in my opinion.

The guy worked out an hour and said he was a fat blob. I cheer him on for the 2 hour workout and I pay little attention to whether he said 1,000 or 200 calories. 2 hours is better than no hours which he likely has done all his life.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Not drinking is possible the single best thing you can do, or start with. Combine with lifting heavy stuff, even if its yourself.
Looking good is not only decided by not being fat, but also by having muscle below the skin. wisdom that many girls dont possess, being not-fat doesnt equal looking good.
Its an excellent start however.

Oh yeah I already have muscle under a little fat. I was super skinny at 124 and lifted till I was 160, then got an office job and got some fat layered on. Just trying to knock that off.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Over There posted:

Oh yeah I already have muscle under a little fat. I was super skinny at 124 and lifted till I was 160, then got an office job and got some fat layered on. Just trying to knock that off.

sure, i just mean if youre already knocking off fat, doing it by putting on muscle is basically two-for-one.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,

Had my wife tell my daughter that daddy used to have big muscles but now has small muscles. She tried backtracking but the damage was done. I just turned 50 and had a heart attack 5 years ago but am determined to somehow someway get to where I was if it literally kills me.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I’ve been running in deepish water, like nipple height. Solid 4 mph, think I could hit 10.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
I now want to see an intense chase scene in 4 foot high water where no one is swimming.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Piggy Smalls posted:

Had my wife tell my daughter that daddy used to have big muscles but now has small muscles. She tried backtracking but the damage was done. I just turned 50 and had a heart attack 5 years ago but am determined to somehow someway get to where I was if it literally kills me.

It's gonna be a marathon duder, strap in for the long haul. Pride and jealousy lead to pushing too far too fast and giving up or hurting yourself.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

I’ve been running in deepish water, like nipple height. Solid 4 mph, think I could hit 10.
now thats some good resistance training

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Rockin the zig-zag. :hmmyes:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i went mountain biking today and crashed two times lol

but i chugged a beer in the parking lot where we parked

like just took it to town, chugged it in one go

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Piggy Smalls posted:

The guy worked out an hour and said he was a fat blob. I cheer him on for the 2 hour workout and I pay little attention to whether he said 1,000 or 200 calories. 2 hours is better than no hours which he likely has done all his life.

Sure as long as you don't use the calorie counter readout to justify eating something extra

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

feelix posted:

Sure as long as you don't use the calorie counter readout to justify eating something extra

This is wisdom.

Calories burned during workouts are for running up the score on a victory day, not justifying a fail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

Something i have a huge problem with is breakfast, i dont get up early enough to make anything at home really, cause i rely on public transport and have a job that starts me fairly early some days. Would those meal replacement things actually be a viable alternative?