Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

SeXReX posted:

Be sure to keep your ears to the street and apply for online marathons too, I know they like seeing that someone has a proven marathon record.

this is good advice, i’ll try and keep an eye out for smaller marathons that interest me; thanks!

which isn’t to ignore the rest of your post. a night of sleep later and it’s still wild to be i got second place even though a lot of places in my run feel a bit sloppy? i might try to bring my time down a bit more...

but also current goal is just to never go super hard on one speedgame. i don’t think id ever have it in me to grind out a game for near thousand attempts to save a second or two. definitely want to put up a good fight for others but also realize that the moment a speedrun starts becoming frustrating instead of fun it’s probably time to drop it

i dunno just rambling!

wondering if after this i should start learning a new category or move onto a new game entirely... and if i do pick a new game do i pick something completely different or try to roll with the castlevania train? decisions...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Nep-Nep posted:

Dancing Mad is great but my favorite FF final boss theme is Neo Exdeath's.

Top 5 Japanese RPG Final Boss Music List

1. Dancing Mad (FFVI)
2. The Sound of the End/The Tower (Nier: Automata)
3. The God Slaying Sword (Xenoblade Chronicles)
4. One Winged Angel (FFVII but you all already knew that)
5. Final Battle (FFIX vs Necron)

SeXReX posted:

I still get imposter syndrome with regards to my speedrun stuff.

Every time I explain gdq to someone from meatspace I backpeddle and downplay my involvement.

It's crazy how fast things transition from just wanting to be better at a game you like to full blown high level competition.

Be sure to keep your ears to the street and apply for online marathons too, I know they like seeing that someone has a proven marathon record.

Yeah I've had trouble explaining this hobby to people, it's hard to really capture why it's so intriguing and fun, especially to people who don't play video games.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Well there's that but I was talking more along the lines of

"Yeah it's a charity fundraiser thing, we raised 2 million dollars for msf"

"Holy poo poo you raised 2 million dollars for charity that's insane"

"Well actually I had a very small part in it and in fact they probably would have raised just as much had I not been involved"

Kaubocks posted:

but also current goal is just to never go super hard on one speedgame. i don’t think id ever have it in me to grind out a game for near thousand attempts to save a second or two. definitely want to put up a good fight for others but also realize that the moment a speedrun starts becoming frustrating instead of fun it’s probably time to drop it

i dunno just rambling!

wondering if after this i should start learning a new category or move onto a new game entirely... and if i do pick a new game do i pick something completely different or try to roll with the castlevania train? decisions...

I love speed dabbling, the fun part to me is learning what makes the game tick, not slamming my head against a wall waiting until it crumbles.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm pretty sure ff6 is the snes rpg equivalent of skyrim in terms of just being so goddamn huge with so much to do. Not in terms of story, graphics or bugginess since it's way better than skyrim in all those aspects

If by better bugginess, you mean has better bugs, then I agree. The airship glitch alone is loving ridiculous in how much of the inner workings of the game it reveals and how much you can break. Keeping various characters as moogles from the invasion sequence, getting Banon in your party permanently, having General Leo visit his own grave, making characters ride around on rafts everywhere, spooking Kefka to death with the power of ghosts and mimes, and time travel, to name a few.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
The great thing is that FF6 continues to have new glitches found, and new ways to exploit known glitches. A couple of weeks ago it was discovered how to skip the Thamasa section of the game entirely (something speedrunners like since that section is long and full of many cutscenes).

https://twitter.com/em0141029/status/1018618663132229632

(I also like the any% technique of game over'ing 52 times in a row to cause the game to start writing garbage data in places, leading to a warp straight to the credits.)

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUcR-In62Ls

Just watch the thing. Crazy seed, and a really competitive race.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

FreeKillB posted:

The great thing is that FF6 continues to have new glitches found, and new ways to exploit known glitches. A couple of weeks ago it was discovered how to skip the Thamasa section of the game entirely (something speedrunners like since that section is long and full of many cutscenes).

https://twitter.com/em0141029/status/1018618663132229632

Oh wow. Hadn't seen that one yet. Extra style points for keeping Strago/Relm as moogles (you could also make them ghosts if you recruit them on Phantom Train). Agreed with the above comments. FFVI may not have the most glitches, but it has the best glitches. Don't forget Sketch and all the nutty things you can do with that.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W29hS3KDeuU

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

Why not just upload, say, three 5-hour chunks?

Didn't know you could export highlights, now I do, so I've pretty much done exactly this. (The 15 minute chunks thing is an option on the export for the entire broadcast.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=playlist

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Huh, another 70 star race.

Oh, it's a relay.

Oh, all the runners don't actually run the game.

:munch:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

oh god my time got verified aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :gizz:

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Congrats Kaubocks!

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Roflex posted:

Didn't know you could export highlights, now I do, so I've pretty much done exactly this. (The 15 minute chunks thing is an option on the export for the entire broadcast.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=playlist

this link goes nowhere :smith:

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

TheTofuShop posted:

this link goes nowhere :smith:

Here's the fixed link, he posted it in the alttp rando discord.

Also congrats Kaubocks that's awesome!

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Kaubocks posted:

nice

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
GDQx games list is out:

https://gamesdonequick.com/submission/games-list

I got Metal Storm on again. First Loop hasn't been on in four years. :toot:

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

Congrats! Practice some more and suggest a race for AGDQ 2019 ;)

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

This is fantastic. Watched all 2.5 hours of it.

Any other must-watch videos from ESA 2018?

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

sincx posted:

The awful games relay is also great, but not up on youtube yet.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

sincx posted:

This is fantastic. Watched all 2.5 hours of it.

I listed my recommendations here

The best runs of the event were Geoguessr, Mario 64 race and LA Noire though, all for different reasons

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

UraniumAnchor posted:

GDQx games list is out:

Oh jeez the Metriod/ALTTP combo randomizer is being run. This will be hard to explain in the time they have. It says 2p, not race, so I'm not sure what that entails.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Clitch posted:

I was not prepared for how good this race was, like I expected it to be good because Andy is an ever-entertaining runner but that was probably in the top 3 runs of LTTP randomizer I've seen

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Roluth posted:

Oh jeez the Metriod/ALTTP combo randomizer is being run. This will be hard to explain in the time they have. It says 2p, not race, so I'm not sure what that entails.

I... think it's a 2p relay? As in, one runs the SM side, the other runs the LttP side?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Roluth posted:

Oh jeez the Metriod/ALTTP combo randomizer is being run. This will be hard to explain in the time they have.

It's listed as three and a half hours. I think they will have time to explain it.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

ElegantFugue posted:

I... think it's a 2p relay? As in, one runs the SM side, the other runs the LttP side?

That's what they were talking about submitting, so I'm assuming that's the case. They're both entertaining runners, it should be a fun run.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
I kind of get why since it's a new style of event but man that is a safe rear end game list. No surprises at all.

I'll be interested to see how the format of the event performs but I doubt I'll care to watch it at all.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I kind of get why since it's a new style of event but man that is a safe rear end game list. No surprises at all.

I'll be interested to see how the format of the event performs but I doubt I'll care to watch it at all.

What's different from past GDQs? I didn't know they were changing up the format.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Hobojim posted:

What's different from past GDQs? I didn't know they were changing up the format.

"GDQ Express" will be happening at TwitchCon in October and only take place over about 3 days. It doesn't replace the next scheduled AGDQ, it's its own thing kinda like the impromptu Harvey Relief Done Quick was. Only it doesn't have to be qhipped up out of the runners' own homes in a few days.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

TeaJay posted:

Congrats! Practice some more

YOU GOT IT CHIEF

(IGT rounds this up to 20:14, boo)

still 2nd place but HOOOOOOOOOO tightening up that time

as far as i'm aware there's someone out there with a 20:10 but just... hasn't submitted? they might feel like they're capable of better and waiting for that run but

gently caress it officially i'm still 2nd :cool:

tightening up my time just means that if they ever do submit and i get bumped down to 3rd then i'm now gonna be harder to knock out of 3rd

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Clitch posted:

Holy poo poo you weren't kidding, this is a crazy loving race.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

UraniumAnchor posted:

GDQx games list is out:

Grats!

Hell yeah I'm hyped for SM/LttP Randomizer. It's so meta it hurts. :getin:

SotN Blindfolded was such a great run last time, even with the controller issues, so I'd love to see that again.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

DizzyBum posted:

Grats!

SotN Blindfolded was such a great run last time, even with the controller issues, so I'd love to see that again.

I daresay it got bumped from good tier into awesome tier because of the controller issues.

Romscout: Equip. Garnet?
Puwexil: Um, no, you are in Alucard shield.
Romscout: ... *facepalm*"

R: Accessory slot yet?
P: Still Alucard shield.
R: ....
Mecharichter: You must have my controller.

"Are you telling me this button died during this run of all runs???"

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 30, 2018

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

DizzyBum posted:

Grats!

I am also hyped for it. I watched that exhibition run of it a few months back and it's just hilarious how silly it is.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

After a lot of hype I watched the LttP randomizer run last time they ran it at AGDQ 2018 and it was honestly kinda underwhelming. Rando fans gush about that stuff constantly but for me personally I didn't really see what the big deal was.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Randomizers are kind of terrible for a marathon since they require so much knowledge of the game. It's even worse in a race - you don't have time to explain why it's exciting they picked up the Farngle before the Glorb while also providing commentary. The real interesting bits in a run are the routing decisions, and those are ridiculously complicated.

Also, that wasn't a particularly exciting seed, which they had no way of knowing in advance since, you know, random.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TeaJay posted:

After a lot of hype I watched the LttP randomizer run last time they ran it at AGDQ 2018 and it was honestly kinda underwhelming. Rando fans gush about that stuff constantly but for me personally I didn't really see what the big deal was.

Watch the one clitch posted on this page

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Controversial opinion

Rando isn't as good as some people say it is

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

TeaJay posted:

i mean same except I was physically there and I still didn't think it was very good

the commentary was pretty mediocre because the good commentator was playing the game instead of talking about it

This is one of the base issues I have with marathon randomizers, the most interesting part of it is player thought process. But players can't do that when they're racing lest they give away crucial info to their opponent, but rando basically doesn't exist outside of a race format because running a randomizer without an opponent sort of defeats the point of it as a competitive exercise. Oops.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SeXReX posted:

Controversial opinion

Rando isn't as good as some people say it is
oh no!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe
Maybe some randomized seeds are more equal than others...