Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dinosaurtrain posted:

Let me guess Barbara Kay

https://twitter.com/joe_warmington/status/898350408074244097

https://twitter.com/joe_warmington/status/898575937335328768

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Throw the racist in the fountain
so my country can be free
you must grab him by his chins
then we'll have a big party

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/dwdavison9318/status/1023564669922013186?s=19

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
If Faith Goldy becomes mayor of Toronto, let's make Toronto its own country so we can invade it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
She's already gotten more press coverage than any other mayoral candidate.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

She's already gotten more press coverage than any other mayoral candidate.

Which is funny, because James Sears, an actual no-foolin swastikas and goosestepping self-described Neo-Nazi is also running, as he has for the last few elections, and no one gives a poo poo.

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016
This is how the Nazis should be referred to:

Shitbird running for mayor of Toronto

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

infernal machines posted:

Which is funny, because James Sears, an actual no-foolin swastikas and goosestepping self-described Neo-Nazi is also running, as he has for the last few elections, and no one gives a poo poo.

how many sun columnists want to gently caress james sears though

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

infernal machines posted:

I care, becuase his straight up Nazi bullshit makes its way into my mailbox whenever he does. And it is, its covered with nazis imiagry, talks about "solutions" to the Jewish and Muslim probelsm, but always goes "I'm not a nazi! I have black and Jewish friends!"

James Sears also was a doctor that lost his license for sexually assaulting patients while they were under, but he didn't face criminal charges because the cops "lost" the evidence. He did get arrested for sending his bullshit to a primary Jewish neighbourhood but neglected to realize that it was also a very wealthy area who didn't take kindly to his antics.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Azerban posted:

how many sun columnists want to gently caress james sears though

Warmington, at least.

twistedmentat posted:

I care, becuase his straight up Nazi bullshit makes its way into my mailbox whenever he does. And it is, its covered with nazis imiagry, talks about "solutions" to the Jewish and Muslim probelsm, but always goes "I'm not a nazi! I have black and Jewish friends!"

James Sears also was a doctor that lost his license for sexually assaulting patients while they were under, but he didn't face criminal charges because the cops "lost" the evidence. He did get arrested for sending his bullshit to a primary Jewish neighbourhood but neglected to realize that it was also a very wealthy area who didn't take kindly to his antics.

My point was Sears who has more of a history of this poo poo than Faith Goldie has continued completely under the radar. Presumably because, as Azerban pointed out, he is not a youngish white lady.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
The problem with Goldie is the bullshit "she isn't a nazi/white nationalist/racist" thing she sometimes gets, somehow. I don't think she's actually good enough at this to be subtle, but the danger is in letting anything like that even try to normalize. It's what Richard Spencer and his assholes were trying to do in the states.

Straight up nazi images are still completely outside the range of socially acceptable things and can be somewhat resonably ignored (for now). White ladies ' speaking their mind' can't be, because there's an edge that people seem willing to defend in popular society. That's bullshit and people need to reinforce that those beliefs are dangerous and unacceptable.

That being said, it's better to try and highlight mainstream people defending her rather than highlighting her.

There were totally a few journalists who jumped in to defend her around the rebel firing. Looks like there is less of it now.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
This is pretty hilarious

I can't imagine being the kid of a shitbird nazi. Calling them is great to see.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
James Sears ran in Ottawa Centre in the last provincial election and got 92 votes. I think most people know he's a crazy person who is the fringiest of the fringe, politically. Lots of people actually like Faith Goldy. She's been shoved to the fringe right a little bit since the Rebel fired her for being too much of an obvious Nazi but she still has a following that thinks all of her Actual Nazi Propaganda is just those loony lefties making poo poo up.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtAAj1QrLxA

:owned:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

:bisonyes:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

T.C. posted:

The problem with Goldie is the bullshit "she isn't a nazi/white nationalist/racist" thing she sometimes gets, somehow. I don't think she's actually good enough at this to be subtle, but the danger is in letting anything like that even try to normalize. It's what Richard Spencer and his assholes were trying to do in the states.

Straight up nazi images are still completely outside the range of socially acceptable things and can be somewhat resonably ignored (for now). White ladies ' speaking their mind' can't be, because there's an edge that people seem willing to defend in popular society. That's bullshit and people need to reinforce that those beliefs are dangerous and unacceptable.

That being said, it's better to try and highlight mainstream people defending her rather than highlighting her.

There were totally a few journalists who jumped in to defend her around the rebel firing. Looks like there is less of it now.
i like to point to her behaviour after the Manchester bombing where she blamed the victims for listening to degenerate music

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

This is my favourite part of Ontario right now.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

:yeshaha:

Is the guy who runs over a security guard or just a guy wearing a leather vest? Also because he's a brown guy, the chud would rather stand in the fountain than be helped out.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
He's not some random dude because he's wearing a badge and radio. I just assumed he was a cop because he was protecting a fascist.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

xtal posted:

He's not some random dude because he's wearing a badge and radio. I just assumed he was a cop because he was protecting a fascist.

I figure a private security guard rather than a cop. They're even worse than Cops because at least being a cop takes some amount of effort more than just wanting to be lovely to everyone.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
edit due to being wrong

xtal fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jul 30, 2018

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Looking at it way to closely and many times I think its like a leather vest for a biker gang or something, the badge looks more like a bird or angel or something. He's certainly not dressed like any Toronto Cop i've ever seen.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I can agree with that. We need a long-form, 4k version of the video to verify.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Are you guys missing the second guy, with an ear piece, that is clearly a cop intercepting the guy in yellow? Only visible right at the end of the first clip.

First guy isn't a cop, whatever he is

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, the cop passes the camera right after the dude gets thrown in the fountain.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Die, racists.

Glad to see that old man humiliated and I hope the video spreads.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

twistedmentat posted:

Looking at it way to closely and many times I think its like a leather vest for a biker gang or something

Yeah, it's an un-patched biker cut, which could mean he's anything from a new member of a bike gang to a big fan of Sons of Anarchy or a member of some group that wears biker cuts ironically like some "volunteer community angel" groups.

While I applaud nazis being thrown into fountains, I also appreciate his attempt to de-escalate from there while the cops did poo poo all.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 30, 2018

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

InfiniteZero posted:

While I applaud nazis being thrown into fountains, I also appreciate his attempt to de-escalate from there while the cops did poo poo all.

It's 2018 in the dumbest timeline. There's no room for de-escalation in our poo poo society. Full speed ahead for confrontation!

EDIT: although I must admit Grandpa Khakipants getting a bath was p hilarious.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jul 30, 2018

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
lmao

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Opinion sections are literally just the Racism section, but then they've always been the grumpy grandpa section.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

The problem of course is that true de-escalation necessarily involves a substantial invigoration of wealth and resource redistribution over a significant duration of time. Of course, from the perspective of the global elite, this process is inherently and dangerously escalatory, and a heck of a lot of effort has been put towards the dissemination and propagation of that idea, even if it is outright detrimental to billions upon billions of people.

You might call this the cultivation of a “false worldview” or something. If only there was a term for it. :thunk:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
De-escalation of the fountain situation would only be necessary if the racist's head were being held underwater or something. Pushing him into the fountain is completely acceptable, as the cop indeed seemed to agree.

I know cops who probably would've written him a citation for trespassing in the fountain, for good measure :v:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

twistedmentat posted:

Opinion sections are literally just the Racism section, but then they've always been the grumpy grandpa section.

There's the opinion section then there's printing open letters begging the CPC to be more like Trump so they can draw in the young folks

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

twistedmentat posted:

Wow, can't believe the Russians got to the cbc.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Helsing posted:

It turns out the Russians were inside us all along.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

DariusLikewise posted:

There's the opinion section then there's printing open letters begging the CPC to be more like Trump so they can draw in the young folks

Nothing says bring in the young folks like a idiot racist American president!

Helsing posted:

Jokes aside, I legit wonder how much Russian money is in Canada, like I assume that Rebel is 100% funded by Putin, but its probably proping up PostMedia too.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

vyelkin posted:

It turns out the Russians were inside us all along.

The secret to all of this is that none of the Russian psyops would have worked if we hadn’t already been so ready to accept them. They didn’t make people like this; they just saw an opportunity and exploited it. Our decades long failure to inoculate people from bad-faith argument tactics/teach basic media literacy is really the primary thing to blame.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The secret to all of this is that none of the Russian psyops would have worked if we hadn’t already been so ready to accept them. They didn’t make people like this; they just saw an opportunity and exploited it. Our decades long failure to inoculate people from bad-faith argument tactics/teach basic media literacy is really the primary thing to blame.

Did none of them see The House Hippo ad?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBfi8OEz0rA

But yea, we were taught a lot of media literacy in school, but then I'm an old and went to school in the 80s and 90s, i'm not sure about kids later.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

twistedmentat posted:

Jokes aside, I legit wonder how much Russian money is in Canada, like I assume that Rebel is 100% funded by Putin, but its probably proping up PostMedia too.

Probably not that much, comparatively. Our media is cheap as poo poo to buy off, and they go lock-step with the right-wing media down south anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

The Cheshire Cat posted:

twistedmentat posted:

Did none of them see The House Hippo ad?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBfi8OEz0rA

But yea, we were taught a lot of media literacy in school, but then I'm an old and went to school in the 80s and 90s, i'm not sure about kids later.

The main problem is that media literacy only helps people who want it to help them. To quote Simon & Garfunkel: "a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest." Knowing the signs of propaganda and bullshit is useless if you actively want to believe whatever the propaganda/bullshit is telling you.