Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Got my finger sucked in between the belt and roller on my stationary sander last night. I have a patch of nerve damage on one side of that finger, and doing some work at the bottom side of the outer roller, I didn't feel the belt touching my finger and one slight movement sucked it in.

Didn't break anything, but I almost completely ripped off the nail and I mangled the border/tip and part of the nailbed.

Don't work tired and always think through the implications of every process, kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
At least you weren't on the table saw yikes

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Feenix posted:

I’ve sanded to 220. I’m reading different things on what to do next. Some people sand higher, but that’ll close pores. Some people flood it with water to raise the grain and then hit it with 300+. Some folks start in on various 300-and-up wet-sandings with mineral oil.

What do you guys like? After the mineral oil soaks do you guys do a board-butter (beeswax blend)?
You will do no harm sanding higher than 220 if you're not staining it, but it becomes a game of diminishing marginal returns. My sanding process is belt sand with 80 and 100, orbital sand with 80, 100, 120 wet to raise the grain (just a wet rag is all you need! I cant imagine hosing a piece down or soaking it) and then anything I have to sand by hand gets 150 and anything I can use an orbital sander on gets 220, and then it gets blown off to get the dust off/out of the pores and goes into the finishing room for staining. I have to make furniture at a certain price point and so I stop at 150/220 because A) I've done samples and under lacquer I really cannot tell the difference (even the lacquer I do not generally sand finer that 320 and 0000 steel wool, but I don't like a mirror finish in most cases) B) I don't really like sanding very much and my time is better spent elsewhere and C) I use water based dye stains and sanding to too high a grit can cause them not to take well. Under oil, sanding to higher grits will get things feeling a bit smoother/slicker to the hand, but even then I don't think I'd bother going past 320. If you really enjoy sanding and want to get it super smooth for fun, have a party and go wild. You can't go wrong making some test pieces with different processes/finishes and seeing what you like best.

Super Waffle posted:

Has anyone ever experimented with vacuum sealing wood in an oil bath to get maximum penetration?
I have not personally, but I know it is done with epoxy and thin CA glue when stability/moisture resistance is very important like pistol grips and stuff. Can't see why it wouldn't work with oil too, though viscosity might matter.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The first cutting board I ever made, I was following a guide that said to use thinned Salad Bowl Finish to soak through. It seems to have worked fine (the board is still in use and looks good), but later I read the can more carefully and it said specifically "do not thin" and "do not use for surfaces that are used for chopping". I'm guessing the concern is that you could get a film on top, like you said, which would get somewhat shredded by knifework and create vacancies for microbes to live in. So if you're dead-set on using it, I guess I'd just recommend sanding the hell out of the top after you're done applying finish.
Almost all finishes say 'Do not thin' and it is usually just so then can comply with VOC regulations. They can say the product only has X VOC's when everyone in the world thins it by half to spray it, hugely increasing the VOC's. In my experience, thinning oil-based finishes is not usually a bad idea, and often ends with a better finish. Minwax stains all say 'Do Not Thin' and they look like diarrhea full strength, but if you cut them 1:10 with mineral spirits you can actually get some nice, subtle colors.

Hypnolobster posted:

Got my finger sucked in between the belt and roller on my stationary sander last night. I have a patch of nerve damage on one side of that finger, and doing some work at the bottom side of the outer roller, I didn't feel the belt touching my finger and one slight movement sucked it in.

Didn't break anything, but I almost completely ripped off the nail and I mangled the border/tip and part of the nailbed.

Don't work tired and always think through the implications of every process, kids.
I once sanded off most of two of my fingernails and the nailbed in an instant on a big edge sander. We often mistakenly think of sanders as relatively safe because they don't have sharp scary blades. but that dog will bite and bite fast. Glad it wasn't anything more serious-it took mine forever to really heal.

I'll second that about not working tired or in a hurry. Every injury I've had has been at the end of a long day when I was trying to do more than I should have. Sometimes the most productive thing you can do is stop and start fresh in the morning.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I'll second that about not working tired or in a hurry. Every injury I've had has been at the end of a long day when I was trying to do more than I should have. Sometimes the most productive thing you can do is stop and start fresh in the morning.

No poo poo, this should be sandblasted in a plaque over every shop. The last drat cut of the day, that's what pureed the side of my pinky finger in a shaper. And I was lucky.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Yep. This accident swung far more towards not thinking through the process rather than tired, but they're equally dangerous. Complacency is bad, and stopping to rework your approach to a task (any task) is important if something feels off.

go for a stroll
Sep 10, 2003

you'll never make it out alive

Pillbug
I squared off the end of my thumb with a plane on a shooting board. It's easy to get complacent with hand tools but they can get you too.

I learned not to try and stop a falling knife in the kitchen decades ago, but if you look at my other thumb you can still measure the exact set of the teeth on my carcass saw.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

go for a stroll posted:

I squared off the end of my thumb with a plane on a shooting board. It's easy to get complacent with hand tools but they can get you too.

I learned not to try and stop a falling knife in the kitchen decades ago, but if you look at my other thumb you can still measure the exact set of the teeth on my carcass saw.

Related to that, I just saw an insane injury with a chisel from someone I follow on Instagram a few days ago (and then I proceeded to injure myself :v:)
https://www.instagram.com/p/Blv6yucATrm/?taken-by=skanwoods

And my own, because everyone likes hand damage pictures in the woodworking community. Not bbcoded because :nws:
https://i.imgur.com/wxvMeuY.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/aaaKm0c.jpg
The nail is detached from the bed and torn about a quarter of the way out of the root, the border is messed up and shredded at the tip pretty good. Weirdly, the most painful part is just the missing skin back by my cuticle.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ok so I’ve got this board basically up to the point where it’s sanded nicely and ready for finishing. I was kind of back and forth on whether I wanted to screw feet into the bottom side. Then I noticed a very, VERY minor rocking. It’s as small as humanly possible, but still detectable. This has me thinking maybe yes to feet?

Are feet somehow less classy on a board? Are there other pros and cons? Will it dry better or potentially warp less because of the underside air gap? Will screws rust? Will screw holes degrade the integrity of the board?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Rather than screws, I'd glue feet on. Make the feet out of offcuts. In the past I've done feet by just ripping some ~1"-wide strips, so they're more like runners than feet. Hit 'em with a roundover bit, glue them on, then sand down until there's no more rocking.

I wouldn't worry about classiness; you have an awesome handmade end-grain cutting board here, that's what people are going to be thinking about more than "hey why did this dude put feet on his board?" Plus the feet make it easier to pick the board up off a countertop/table, so there's legit value-add there.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I was thinking the screw types with rubber donut feet. I don’t think I want to do runner or wood feet (nice as that would be.) maybe I can plan that into my next project, though.

:)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Stainless doesn't rust. I think brass might not be great food safety wise, though.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Phone posted:

Stainless doesn't rust. I think brass might not be great food safety wise, though.

It tastes terrible (because it has copper in it), but as long as you aren't licking it you shouldn't have a problem. I know this because I used to make copper jewelry, and sometimes forgot to wash my hands before dinner.

But yeah, if you insist on using screw-in rubber feet, then a) predrill your holes, and b) use stainless steel screws.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

It tastes terrible (because it has copper in it), but as long as you aren't licking it you shouldn't have a problem. I know this because I used to make copper jewelry, and sometimes forgot to wash my hands before dinner.

But yeah, if you insist on using screw-in rubber feet, then a) predrill your holes, and b) use stainless steel screws.

Advice noted. Insist is such a strong word, I dunno, I just don’t have it in me to make good wood feet right now AND account for the slight unevenness of the board. I just figured the rubber feet would solve the problem and look fine enough. Especially if I can find really short low-profile ones, perhaps?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You will regret putting feet on a cutting board.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

A bit late at this stage buttttttt

Run a block plane over the bottom to take out the high spot

Chamfer the bottom edges so you have something pick up

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Platystemon posted:

You will regret putting feet on a cutting board.

Could be. Could be not. Why do you think so? I’m all ears :)

I guess I just don’t want it to rock or to have to resand it on the off chance I make it worse...

[Edit] no planes. No experience planing. I should learn one day...

Feenix fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 30, 2018

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I put feet on both of mine so they could dry out on both sides after washing without having to lean them on something. Home Depot has the rubber feet for like $2 or some poo poo. Definitely use stainless screws if they don't come with them, though.

However, if the bottom is warped, feet might not help. Depends exactly how it bent. If it's perfectly cupped upwards it might be fine but if it's even a little bit twisted too, it'll still rock.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
I'm trying to think up a screwless desk design, and I'm having trouble thinking of ways to affix the tabletop. Here's one design I've thought of, do you think this would have sufficient strength if it's just glued together?

Measurements are in mm. Essentially, the legs would be 60x60 posts, with a cross shape cut out of the tops. Into the cross would slide the aprons with a halved joint. The four "prongs" of the legs would then protrude above the aprons just far enough to slot through four holes in the top. My concern is that the legs in particular may be too weak to support any lateral impact. The front legs in particular will be susceptible, since there won't be an apron piece at the front of the desk.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

MaliciousOnion posted:

I'm trying to think up a screwless desk design, and I'm having trouble thinking of ways to affix the tabletop. Here's one design I've thought of, do you think this would have sufficient strength if it's just glued together?

Measurements are in mm. Essentially, the legs would be 60x60 posts, with a cross shape cut out of the tops. Into the cross would slide the aprons with a halved joint. The four "prongs" of the legs would then protrude above the aprons just far enough to slot through four holes in the top. My concern is that the legs in particular may be too weak to support any lateral impact. The front legs in particular will be susceptible, since there won't be an apron piece at the front of the desk.
A simpler and more tried and true way would be to do a traditional mortise and tenon for the apron-leg joints and then make your leg still stick up with some dowels/tenons through the top. I would worry about the little ends of your half laps breaking off-unsupported long grain like that could very easily split off. I would also want some sort of shoulder where the apron meets the leg to give the leg more mechanical support against lateral forces. Wider aprons would also really help strength wise, as would a stretcher lower down the leg.

You might want to check out some Classical Chinese/Ming furniture joinery. Much of it uses no metal fasteners and even no glue-just well constructed, interlocking mechanical joints. Often times stub tenons from the top of the leg into the top is what holds the entire piece together.

go for a stroll
Sep 10, 2003

you'll never make it out alive

Pillbug
I'd also worry about the lack of allowance for movement in the top. If it's a typical 20-24" deep, you're right in the range where you might not get away with it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
wow. Mineral oiling this board really shows all the sanding scuffs and imperfections (belt sander, probably.)

This has been a good learning experience. :p

[Ed] also drat this black walnut is loving dark when oiled. :/

Feenix fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 30, 2018

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think the main reason not to put feet on a cutting board is because then you can only ever use one side. If that's not going to bother you then it should be fine. As for slight imperfection that leads to a rock, if you're using rubber feet you can tighten or loosen the screw holding the feet in to adjust their height, probably? A soft rubber foot is going to give you a tiny bit of leeway as well.

Of course you also want the board to be thick enough that having feet at the corners doesn't allow the board to flex in the center during use.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The kind of feet I'm thinking of don't adjust. The screw is either in or not.

E: these things:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-7-8-in-Rubber-Screw-On-Bumpers-4-per-Pack-49131/203661032

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

My brother made me a cutting board with a bevel on the underside edge to make it easy to pick up, I've never missed being able to use the other side. If you want legs fit legs

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Javid posted:

The kind of feet I'm thinking of don't adjust. The screw is either in or not.

E: these things:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-7-8-in-Rubber-Screw-On-Bumpers-4-per-Pack-49131/203661032

I think the prevailing belief is that being rubber, they are more forgiving, and also probably not manufactured 100% uniformly. Also, i think if you screw one in HARDER than another you could kinda make it sit more snugly. But even if not, you could probably sand/shave down the side that touches the board by a fraction of a fraction and make it counter-act the wobble.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Update, I'm nearly done. I put some nice feet on it. (really low profile, not tall rubber ones) but i wanted to show you guys a photo because I was not expecting black walnut to live up to its name so aptly once oiled. This is just one coat of mineral oil. It's darker than the purpleheart!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Is there a way to expedite offgassing? Maybe a fan? My cursed charcuterie board (which had tung over dried Odie’s oil over mineral oil) (which i sanded down to dryness and just did mineral oil, STILL has a strong odor (from the Odie’s oil.) and it’s been like over a month...

I’m beginning to think I just need to sand the gently caress out of it again.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I have no idea if it would work, but my best guess would be gentle heat and good ventilation. I wouldn't put it over 100F at the very most, probably more like 90. More realistically, put it near a fan and leave it in a room that gets plenty of sunlight (but don't put it in direct sun).

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
If it's a chemical reaction producing the fumes you can accelerate it by applying heat, uv light, or catalyst. I don't think there's an easy way to introduce a catalyst here, and it's also hard to use uv light to get to all spots without affecting the wood, so heat would be best. Every ten degrees centigrade you add will roughly double the reaction speed. Ventilation will help remove reaction products and speed up things.
I would think moisture would also help, but again, it might adversely affect the wood.

If it's not a chemical reaction but just gas that's trapped and being slowly released you can also increase the rate of offgassing by applying heat and ventilation. This works the same as drying your clothes: extra heat will vaporize more, and ventilation will reduce local buildup of gas so more can be released.

E: if the gas is physically blocked from escaping and is slowly seeping out wood pores or something you're basically poo poo out of luck, most things that will keep your wood intact won't speed up that process.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

MaliciousOnion posted:

If you happen to follow Phillip Morely on instagram he just made a dining table with this exact joinery.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

I have no idea if it would work, but my best guess would be gentle heat and good ventilation. I wouldn't put it over 100F at the very most, probably more like 90. More realistically, put it near a fan and leave it in a room that gets plenty of sunlight (but don't put it in direct sun).

Hm so fan is good but also you think 90 is safe in the oven? How long? An hour? More? poo poo I need to see if my oven even goes that low lol.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

So a while ago I was looking through some old stuff and I found these really cool wooden figurines. Turns out it was stuff my grandfather carved back in the day, really inspired me to put my time to use and I want to take up woodworking.

At the moment though I'm abroad for another year so I don't want to buy a load of tools just to have to leave them behind. Anyone got any recommendations for a good knife? What sort of easy stuff should I start carving with? Basically any tips for a beginner with bare minimum equipment.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
If you want absolute minimalism then one of the flexcut multi knives like the carvin jack.

If you dont mind having a few knives, then a small set of individual knives from flexcut, or a set of crook and straight sloyd knives are probably what you are looking for.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

MaliciousOnion posted:

I'm a total beginner to this, so this is more of a question than a critique, but wouldn't having the aprons locked to the four corners of the desk cause issues as the desk expanded and contracted at different rates to the aprons? This is probably not an issue if you're using ply of some kind for the desk top.

E: or have the legs attach through a breadboard end?

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

GEMorris posted:

If you want absolute minimalism then one of the flexcut multi knives like the carvin jack.

If you dont mind having a few knives, then a small set of individual knives from flexcut, or a set of crook and straight sloyd knives are probably what you are looking for.
I'd heard of flexcut before and took another look. They do look really nice and all the reviews are real good for them too. Thanks for the recommendation. What about sharpening? Should I think about the flexcut shapening stuff to go with it or not? I don't want to buy this thing then gently caress up the blade because I don't have a clue how to sharpen them.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Sharpening is a critical part of using any bladed tool, so yeah youre going to need a solution for sharpening as well.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Today I made a couple of jigs for the grinder. An extremely simple one for the chisels, just two pieces of wood, cut threads right into the wood on one piece.

Then a bit more advanced one for axes, copied tormeks jig for this:

I have freehanded a knife and chisel so far and I seem to be able to get a good hair shave sharpness pretty easily after I hone it. Next up is a knife jig.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
72 hours of a point-blank fan over my smelly charcuterie board. I mean, I think it smells IMPROVED, but it could be my mind playing tricks on me. How long should I expect to run air over it before I realize it's not the solution I seek?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
71 hours ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Feenix posted:

72 hours of a point-blank fan over my smelly charcuterie board. I mean, I think it smells IMPROVED, but it could be my mind playing tricks on me. How long should I expect to run air over it before I realize it's not the solution I seek?

You put a lot of stuff onto it, and you've done a lot of sanding etc. It's probably just going to take longer than you expect to stop off gassing. I had a stool that I expected to be done in a week and it took well over a month. It helped that I moved it to a warm place with good ventilation, but aside from that it was mostly just the time. Mine was just a standard stain/poly sanded to 220.

One thing I've found is that the more I try to mess with things, the longer it takes to actually turn out.