Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Ola posted:

What does it pay?

like $475 over a year. this is if you install apps/plugins on all your devices and participate every week. also you don't get real money, you have to pick a retailer and get gift cards. however they do have a bunch of general goods stores in the list of gift cards, like Walmart, Target, Amazon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
I'm back to using the Gmail app rather than Inbox and it's quite jarring :smith:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I've started using aquamail recently as it properly supports imap IDLE with my dovecot server, it's nice and way more configurable than the regular gmail app without being too complicated

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Jeez, you dick bags got me going on inbox initially. I'm getting old here I don't want to keep switching all Willy nilly

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Hehe, I never even started using Inbox :smug:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

There's no need to switch from Inbox.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Thermopyle posted:

There's no need to switch from Inbox.

Inbox is on maintenance mode and is basically yet another app that Google has given up on, whereas Gmail is actively added to. Inbox isn't being shut down, but why would anyone want to be stuck on it?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Inbox on phone.

Gmail on computer.

This is the correct workflow.

Fite me IRL.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Gmail and inbox share pretty much everything right now anyway, so there should be absolutely no problem using whichever currently strikes your fancy.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

hotsauce posted:

Inbox on phone.

Gmail on computer.

This is the correct workflow.

Fite me IRL.

Thunderbird on your computer.

Nothing on your phone.

I'll see you in the church parking lot after school.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

CLAM DOWN posted:

Inbox is on maintenance mode and is basically yet another app that Google has given up on, whereas Gmail is actively added to. Inbox isn't being shut down, but why would anyone want to be stuck on it?

Why would you be stuck?

When there's a reason to switch, there's a reason to switch. If there's something in gmail you like right now more than what your'e getting out of Inbox right now, then go ahead and switch.

If there's not then don't. I'ts not like if you don't hurry up and switch you're stuck or something.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
I have Google app abandonment ptsd ok??

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's so fuckin'...

actually, given Google that's pretty reasonable.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

I get waiting to the last minute but at the same time I find it's less jarring to make the switch early and feel like you're doing it by choice rather than being forced to. I like feeling I have control even when I don't.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

LastInLine posted:

I get waiting to the last minute but at the same time I find it's less jarring to make the switch early and feel like you're doing it by choice rather than being forced to. I like feeling I have control even when I don't.

To be clear, I'm not advocating waiting to the last minute.

I'm just advocating not being anxious about it or anything like that.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Why were people using Inbox in the first place, again?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Because it was the latest Google app.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

fishmech posted:

Why were people using Inbox in the first place, again?

It was a minimal slick interface that made "inbox zero" easier.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

CLAM DOWN posted:

It was a minimal slick interface that made "inbox zero" easier.

What did it do to make reading your email easier?

Minimal is meaningless, Gmail already exposed a minimalist interface for years.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

fishmech posted:

What did it do to make reading your email easier?

Minimal is meaningless, Gmail already exposed a minimalist interface for years.

Here, I'll even link it, go try Inbox and you can see the difference yourself: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.inbox&hl=en

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Inbox doesn't have ads, yet, so that's neat.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
inbox is a nice blue colour vs gmails red colour

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

CLAM DOWN posted:

Here, I'll even link it, go try Inbox and you can see the difference yourself: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.inbox&hl=en

I tried it years ago, but I was always capable of reading my emails and unsubscribing/marking as spam things I didn't want. So what is it doing to help? Like people just say generic stuff about it being so good or it helping them to get rid of spam stuff but they never elaborate on what it does to help beyond Gmail's own features.

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

Inbox doesn't have ads, yet, so that's neat.

I've never seen the Gmail app insert any ads, is that a regional thing?

fishmech fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 29, 2018

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

fishmech posted:

I tried it years ago, but I was always capable of reading my emails and unsubscribing/marking as spam things I didn't want. So what is it doing to help?

I found it easier, clearly you didn't, so drop it.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

fishmech posted:

I tried it years ago, but I was always capable of reading my emails and unsubscribing/marking as spam things I didn't want. So what is it doing to help?

I've never seen the Gmail app insert any ads, is that a regional thing?

I guess so, I always just assumed it was The Way Of Things. Little banners at the top of the conversation list.

Inbox also gave you the ability to snooze emails which I'm pretty sure wasn't always baked in to Gmail, but it appears to be there now.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Inbox seemed like a good way for someone with a messy inbox to get it under control. As someone who a) doesn't get a lot of important emails and b) has a good filtering system already set up, it didn't appeal to me.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Pinning and snoozing emails was the big thing that got me on Inbox because those are fantastic features.

edit: ^^ I was always at Inbox zero anyway, so I didn't need it for that getting there.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

lmao

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I, for one, would be very interested in hearing about big developments in the wild world of beef stroganoff.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Amazing

I've just realised i haven't been asked if I've done an ultra marathon in ages, it was almost a weekly thing for years for me

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

I guess so, I always just assumed it was The Way Of Things. Little banners at the top of the conversation list.

Who else is getting ads in Gmail, I'm not and I've never seen this and now I'm curious

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Scudworth posted:

Who else is getting ads in Gmail, I'm not and I've never seen this and now I'm curious
I see them semi-regularly, maybe a couple of times a week. I usually get in the non-inbox tabs (Social, Updates, etc.) They never show up for label views.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Scudworth posted:

I always have ads in Gmail app. As Tunga said, they're never in my Primary folder though, only in tabs like Social and Promotions. I always thought it was weird to have ads in a Google app, especially the main email app.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BisterdDave posted:

I always thought it was weird to have ads in a Google app,

lol

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I was going to just make the same reply, but now I'm trying to think of any of their other apps that just have a blatant advertisement somewhere...

turtleface
May 28, 2003

I'm helping

Thermopyle posted:

I was going to just make the same reply, but now I'm trying to think of any of their other apps that just have a blatant advertisement somewhere...

I'll see them around in Maps.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Here's ads in Gmail. I only get them on the promotions tab.

(trying new image host, might suck)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

Amazing

I've just realised i haven't been asked if I've done an ultra marathon in ages, it was almost a weekly thing for years for me

Just got it this morning. In fact I'm still getting killed with surveys. I woke up to three surveys, worth about $1.50 between the three. While they've changed the history screen so it's harder to read, I've had 33 surveys in the last week for over $10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Ola posted:

(trying new image host, might suck)
It totally does!

Here's the actual image: