Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

silvergoose posted:

I just went back and listened to the heavy cardboard episode interview with Martin Wallace and...holy crap he sounds exactly like me and other nerds and he's pretty cool.

Also apparently he wants to make a civilization game that's actually good, and in his words, "the only good one is the francis tresham one and that's too long".

Well, he's only been trying for 25 years.

E: Oh God, I sniped page 2000. It is the End Times!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Panzeh posted:

People always tell me how much better it is than vassal and it just makes me scratch my head.

I tried to learn vassal and gave up quite quickly. I tried to learn TTS and gave up quite quickly. They both are way worse than just playing a solo game.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I can actually play games in TTS so it's light years ahead of vassal. But it does multiply the fiddlyness factor by about 10 vs tabletop.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I like TTS and don’t think it’s that fiddly except when you’re trying to highlight specific stacks to move like in dominant species (for tundra). What’s really annoying is having friends who start doing chip stacking and card shuffling in the game because they just can’t calm down and need to fidget.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Digital adaptations are almost always going to be fiddly, because stuff that's so simple it doesn't require any conscious effort in the real world (like "pick up these things and put them over there") suddenly requires actual focus.

The only way to make it not fiddly overall is to recover some "fiddliness budget" elsewhere, by automating things that are fiddly in the real world but trivial for the computer to do.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Has anyone played enough Root to know how it works with 3? My group doesn't have a fourth person very often.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Hey, football highlights 2052 https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/256876/football-highlights-2052

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Some Numbers posted:

Has anyone played enough Root to know how it works with 3? My group doesn't have a fourth person very often.

I think it would be fine at 3. I’m concerned about faction balance at two but 3 would be good. One game I played was basically 3 players because the vagabond player didn’t have a clue what to do and made zero impact on the game.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Sinteres posted:

I'm probably going to play Gloomhaven on TTS anyway, but this is a good post.

In that it was totally unhelpful? The top quality posting we all expect from Rutibex, yes.

cool goons posted:

Alright thanks guys. I've got Gloomhaven in real copy and am enjoying it tremendously but one of our regulars is leaving town soon. We're in sort of a mad rush to PLAY PLAY PLAY so he can hit his retirement before departure; it seems like such a natural and fitting goal post. I thought I'd get it on TTS to start an alternate universe campaign so he can keep getting his fix and I can also rope in two or three other friends who aren't local and let them experience the magic.

Would definitely like to know which module is the best if there's more than one though!

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I'm really lame and love the colour green a lot, and also, Spirit Island is fast becoming my favourite game. I noticed that there's an 'official' although somewhat limited expansion for 5 and 6 players that comes with green and orange token sets. Does anyone know where I could get a hold of these, or, something similar? They do have lime green discs on Meeple Source, which I'm a hairs breadth from pulling the trigger on, but they look like they'll be a bit big. It would be nice if all the sets matched. I guess I could just buy 4 different colours including green from meeple source.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

SuperKlaus posted:

Alright thanks guys. I've got Gloomhaven in real copy and am enjoying it tremendously but one of our regulars is leaving town soon. We're in sort of a mad rush to PLAY PLAY PLAY so he can hit his retirement before departure; it seems like such a natural and fitting goal post. I thought I'd get it on TTS to start an alternate universe campaign so he can keep getting his fix and I can also rope in two or three other friends who aren't local and let them experience the magic.

Would definitely like to know which module is the best if there's more than one though!

There's one that's scripted that does all the setup/scenario setup for you. It should be one of the top-most rated mods on the workshop.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

SuperKlaus posted:

In that it was totally unhelpful? The top quality posting we all expect from Rutibex, yes.

I think the board game thread will survive an occasional amusing post. :shrug:

SuperKlaus posted:

Play this one (approved by Isaac so it's not piracy):

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1359464779

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Root just got here, literally one day before I go to the beach for a week with a bunch of people that love boardgames. :woop:

Might be the first Kickstarter I've ever seen that came in early.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I've got Massive Darkness and basically everything that comes with it from the Kickstarter but I've only touched it twice. The loot seemed boring but the classes were okay.

I've seen some negativity on it here but I'm not sure what it is that's so wrong - can anyone tell me?

To be honest I've played it so little that I don't mind the idea of just putting it up on Ebay like I did with the Others: Seven Sins.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

NmareBfly posted:

[Root] might be the first Kickstarter I've ever seen that came in early.

Yeah, mine showed up today too, and I can say definitively that it's the ONLY game KS I've received in like 6 years of backing games that officially delivered before their quote. Only a few days early, and I'd imagine lots will deliver in August as "on time", but drat, still really significant. Kudos to Leder Games for having their poo poo together.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Merauder posted:

Yeah, mine showed up today too, and I can say definitively that it's the ONLY game KS I've received in like 6 years of backing games that officially delivered before their quote. Only a few days early, and I'd imagine lots will deliver in August as "on time", but drat, still really significant. Kudos to Leder Games for having their poo poo together.

My Root is scheduled to deliver on Monday, and it just shipped yesterday. That's pretty quick shipping too. Compare that to my Founders game which shipped 5 days ago, and is also arriving Monday.

I just wish I had some time between the two games. Root is totally going to eclipse Founders :|

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Ravendas posted:

I just wish I had some time between the two games. Root is totally going to eclipse Founders :|

Yeah, as I mentioned last page, I have so much coming in from KS right now, and all overlapping Gen Con. I did a better job of working through my unplayed pile over the last year than I've done in the past, but I definitely need to be targeting being all caught up on new plays before August next year.

Merauder fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 28, 2018

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Bottom Liner posted:

Container is in stock and Root is available for preorder at a great price at CSI

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/248888

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/261974

Both are available through Miniature Market for similar prices.

https://www.miniaturemarket.com/led01000.html

https://www.miniaturemarket.com/mcy1703.html

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
Speaking of Tabletop Sim it's on sale this weekend.

https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/tabletop-simulator-pc/

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Taear posted:

I've got Massive Darkness and basically everything that comes with it from the Kickstarter but I've only touched it twice. The loot seemed boring but the classes were okay.

I've seen some negativity on it here but I'm not sure what it is that's so wrong - can anyone tell me?

To be honest I've played it so little that I don't mind the idea of just putting it up on Ebay like I did with the Others: Seven Sins.

It’s just not a very good game. CMON’s whole gimmick is overly produced minis, gameplay comes in a distant second.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Plus the fact that they redid the entire games rules after the kickstarter ended, which pissed a ton of people off because the game ended up looking nothing like advertised IIRC

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

S.J. posted:

Plus the fact that they redid the entire games rules after the kickstarter ended, which pissed a ton of people off because the game ended up looking nothing like advertised IIRC

I did read them and don't remember them being different honestly.
The minis are amazing but man if you compare the loot in Arcadia Quest (for example) to the loot in Massive Darkness it's like night and day. There's just absolutely no character to any of the cards.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Doom: The Boardgame (2016) was supposed to be kinda iffy balance-wise, right?

Azran fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jul 28, 2018

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Azran posted:

Doom: The Boardgame (2016) was supposed to be kinda iffy balance-wise, right?

there's some imbalanced scenarios, and the first scenario in the book is one of the most imbalanced one, so I think that's where a lot of the chatter comes from. I don't find the balance particularly bad.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

S.J. posted:

Making it doubly hilarious when the Overturn scammers stole the entire Massive Darkness rulebook then said "But it will be totally different when it is released!"

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

deadwing posted:

there's some imbalanced scenarios, and the first scenario in the book is one of the most imbalanced one, so I think that's where a lot of the chatter comes from. I don't find the balance particularly bad.

The thing you should be most bothered by is that it isn't one person play as the Doom Guy and everyone else teaming up against him as the demons. FFG fix your loving game

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

Glagha posted:

There's a very good gloomhaven module that automates setup entirely and a lot of other fiddly functions. I highly recommend it because it's honestly easier to play than live which I normally wouldn't expect in tts.

I don’t think there’s a mod that automates everything, but Gloomhaven Helper is probably the best one I’ve seen:

http://esotericsoftware.com/gloomhaven-helper

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

medchem posted:

I don’t think there’s a mod that automates everything, but Gloomhaven Helper is probably the best one I’ve seen:

http://esotericsoftware.com/gloomhaven-helper

I feel a bit weird using a non-official app but man that sounds really good.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

For our 2000th page, I present you the engine that powers gamesbyemail.com

https://youtu.be/7n8LNxGbZbs

quote:

Currently, GamesByEmail.com uses some 80,000+ die rolls for play in games like Backgammon, Gambit (a RISK clone), W.W.II (an Axis & Allies clone) and others. To generate the die rolls, I have used Math.random, Random.org and other sources, but have always received numerous complaints that the dice are not random enough. Some players have put more effort into statistical analysis of the rolls than they put into their doctoral dissertation.
I had a soft target of a machine capable of 200,000 rolls a day, as site traffic is growing. However, any automation project worth doing is worth over doing, and I way overshot the mark. The result is what you see here: a machine that can belch a continuous river of dice down a spiraling ramp, then elevate, photograph, process and upload almost a million and a half rolls to the server a day. I may not get nominated for a Nobel prize, but the deep rumbling vibration you feel more than hear when two rooms away is quite impressive.

There is no doubt that I will still receive complaints about the rolls, but now I can honestly say I have done all that I can possibly do: the rolls you get are exactly as random as those you would get throwing by hand

http://gamesbyemail.com/News/DiceOMatic

I stumbled on this site after reading that tumbled pipped dice roll 1s more frequently here:

https://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/That's_How_I_Roll_-_A_Scientific_Analysis_of_Dice

quote:

Afterwards we calculated the results and the Chessex and GW dice averaged 29% ones. Mind you that this is an average and our high was 33 and our low was 23. We removed any statistical anomalies and came up with 29%.

Game room logic, a poor source of anything, would dictate that the side with the one is heavier and would therefore be on the bottom more. Unfortunately this is just not true, take popcorn or batholiths as an example. The 6 is too light to stop the momentum of the die, the rounded corners cannot prevent the die from turning due to the weight. In the end 1s are by far the most common result. On a 6 sided die any given number should appear 16.6% of the time, the Vegas dice were dead on and the square dice with pips were pretty close, only displaying a 19% ratio for ones.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Happy page 2000, thread! :toot:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
we did it

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pierzak posted:

Happy page 2000, thread! :toot:

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Alas, I don't think any of these threads will ever reach page 2112, meaning that we will never be able to celebrate the true king of the DOAM format Risk 2112 AD.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

deadwing posted:

Man, really?! That was like, the MAIN issue with the old version, the first level is just an impossible hammering, with a boss monster that you don't really have the capability to overcome, and you slog it through to the final room, and it's got three boss monsters in it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Finally got to try out Tash Kalar: Nethervoid playing against Etherweave. Fun stuff! We both started in the center, but after some bloody melees kind of slunk away from eachother, and his abilities to randomly gently caress around with patterns and locations was no match for my ability to just poo poo out massive heroic groups leading to a hilarious turn:

I occupied two red squares with heroics one of whom was the gateway, and he had the other two with heroics, and red conquest was the only feasible card I could get. Score is him: 4 + 1 legendary, me: 4 + 2 legendaries. I, using the aforementioned heroic groups, summoned Time Elemental and then just placed a single dude diagonally next to one of the red squares. Then, on my time elemental turn, I summoned Demon of Gluttony, which is literally "heroic summon, diagonal from any one your pieces. If you don't lose an action right after this, your gateway dies." and, thus, captured red conquest, got a third legendary, ended the game and won.

TK is such an amazing game, it really is.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Anyone played Tulip Bubble? It looks clever.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
That is mad adorable

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Make that the theme of the next thread

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Magnetic North posted:

Anyone played Tulip Bubble? It looks clever.

It's very good. Packs a lot of game into a small box. The only issue really is that the market sometimes pegs or flatlines. Without a decent amount of movement, you can't do much to change your situation. But it's on the short side, cheap and highly transportable, so it does good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

!Klams posted:

Man, really?! That was like, the MAIN issue with the old version, the first level is just an impossible hammering, with a boss monster that you don't really have the capability to overcome, and you slog it through to the final room, and it's got three boss monsters in it.

This one's the opposite way, it's extremely hard for the Invader to win on the first mission.