Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Aethernet posted:

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1023531211417944065?s=19

Wiz is working on the weekend. I assume that means under Swedish law he's about to go to prison.

Wonder how planet management and sectors are going to overlap. If you're effectively deciding whether to focus a planet on resource extraction versus refinement, how is that handled at the sector rather tha empire level? Do you still have separate stockpiles for everything?

This looks really solid, I'm excited to see how this pans out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

HYPERSPEED

Nah hyperspeed is too slow.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 29, 2018

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

BrandorKP posted:

Nah hyperspeed is too slow.

Okay, how about plaid then?

So you can determine how much food your POPs consume, insofar that food is now used to produce luxury goods as well as raw minerals.

You can also build each building more than once, which is nice. Time to turn Earth into one giant Palace of Man.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Really want that dev diary. Planets seem to have a size, with a number (districts?) underneath that cap. But then modifiers grant bonus districts. So... those are free, then the rest count against the cap? Then are building slots capped by planet size, or infrastructure? Or just a mineral sink, more = more slots? Given buildings give a return per infrastructure, it looks like generalist planets would be crazy-you want city-worlds and mining worlds.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Are there any good espionage mods where I can fund factions, stir unrest, etc? Funding rebels in poorly-governed opponents' territory has yet to produce interesting results let alone the desired ones.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Talkie Toaster posted:

Really want that dev diary. Planets seem to have a size, with a number (districts?) underneath that cap. But then modifiers grant bonus districts. So... those are free, then the rest count against the cap? Then are building slots capped by planet size, or infrastructure? Or just a mineral sink, more = more slots? Given buildings give a return per infrastructure, it looks like generalist planets would be crazy-you want city-worlds and mining worlds.

The number under the planet size in the districts part of the UI seems to be total number of districts currently built - so planet size is probably what determines your max district amount. From the UI it also seems like you can build as many city districts as you want (up to max districts according to planet size) but the non-city districts have their own limits (I'm assuming those are based on the deposits, which are the old tile art using squares).

The number of buildings you can put down is based on the infrastructure value, which is the yellow graph looking icon. That seems to be generated primarily by city districts, but there's probably a lot more going into it than just that (I would guess that other districts also contribute, just to a far smaller degree at least).

Basically it seems like we'll be able to make every planet into a hell scape of clerks and housing projects (which unlocks a poo poo ton of building slots and also bumps up the performance of many buildings) but if you want a mining powerhouse or a farming world (and whatever the yellow district is) you'll need to actually get planets that have a lot of those deposits.

If Sectors are still a thing, it'd now be fairly simple to give the player good controls on how they should develop too - you just need to be able to tell planets what output to focus on and the district system will funnel the AI into making the correct choices. Planet Templates in effect - MoO3 is a good example because the district system looks very similar to it's DEAs.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jul 29, 2018

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Shumagorath posted:

Are there any good espionage mods where I can fund factions, stir unrest, etc? Funding rebels in poorly-governed opponents' territory has yet to produce interesting results let alone the desired ones.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1112740619

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

DatonKallandor posted:

The number under the planet size in the districts part of the UI seems to be total number of districts currently built - so planet size is probably what determines your max district amount. From the UI it also seems like you can build as many city districts as you want (up to max districts according to planet size) but the non-city districts have their own limits (I'm assuming those are based on the deposits, which are the old tile art using squares).

The number of buildings you can put down is based on the infrastructure value, which is the yellow graph looking icon. That seems to be generated primarily by city districts, but there's probably a lot more going into it than just that (I would guess that other districts also contribute, just to a far smaller degree at least).

Basically it seems like we'll be able to make every planet into a hell scape of clerks and housing projects (which unlocks a poo poo ton of building slots and also bumps up the performance of many buildings) but if you want a mining powerhouse or a farming world (and whatever the yellow district is) you'll need to actually get planets that have a lot of those deposits.

If Sectors are still a thing, it'd now be fairly simple to give the player good controls on how they should develop too - you just need to be able to tell planets what output to focus on and the district system will funnel the AI into making the correct choices. Planet Templates in effect - MoO3 is a good example because the district system looks very similar to it's DEAs.

That seems kind of odd- you don’t have to choose between a city-planet or farming-planet, you just choose which farming planets you want to also be city-planets. I guess that means you don’t have to go back and respec your early planets away from farms which is probably better for the AI?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
This patch has me in a weird place - I'm fairly excited about Stellaris, but I never want to look at a tile again so I can't touch it until the update hits.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Yeah, that's a really good one.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Voyager I posted:

This patch has me in a weird place - I'm fairly excited about Stellaris, but I never want to look at a tile again so I can't touch it until the update hits.

I'm in a similar place, I don't mind the tiles super much I have them down to a white noise sorta thing but I just really want to use the new system so much

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Shugojin posted:

I'm in a similar place, I don't mind the tiles super much I have them down to a white noise sorta thing but I just really want to use the new system so much

Extremely :same:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Talkie Toaster posted:

That seems kind of odd- you don’t have to choose between a city-planet or farming-planet, you just choose which farming planets you want to also be city-planets. I guess that means you don’t have to go back and respec your early planets away from farms which is probably better for the AI?

Well the districts of all types are added together (at least it works out that way on every teaser so far) - every farm on your farm planet is going to be one less city so it's not like cities are free. Plus it's entirely possible we'll end up not wanting to minimize city districts on non-hive worlds to keep upkeep at a minimum - that's all gonna depend on how the numbers shake out. I'm kind of hoping cities will be good filler, if only because that'll make it easier for the AI.

Dev Diaries can't come soon enough. And the always fun hot-code streams.

Edit: Incidentally Star Ruler 2 went open source recently, so now everyone can try to figure out how they pulled off the wizardry that lets it run the amount of ships and weapons fire they do without melting everyone's CPU.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jul 29, 2018

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

binge crotching posted:

Yeah, that's a really good one.
Thank you both, though I'll probably save that for a new game since my current one might go completely to poo poo right in time for the endgame.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

how easy/hard is it these days to selectively genocide. if i wanted to assimilate all the cool races i come across and eliminate the ugly ones

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

oddium posted:

how easy/hard is it these days to selectively genocide. if i wanted to assimilate all the cool races i come across and eliminate the ugly ones

You can set rights by species, and one of those rights is letting them live or not.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
You have to be xenophobic in some way in order to allow actual purging, otherwise all you can do is displace them. Even with nowhere to go POPs will still remove themselves but it take a while.

But if one of your ethics is xenophobe your POPs and factions will not be thrilled to hang out with other aliens. Regardless of how cool they may be.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
I think I have a genetic engineering mishap.

Around the time that I got my first point of gene modification, my species achieved Transcendence. I forget the exact order of events, but somehow I wound up replacing the vast majority of my species with a non-psionic template of themselves. Other than the leaders there are no full psionic pops left in the gene pool, and only two pops in my empire that remain latent psi.

So, uh, I heard there's events that'll let you uplift non-psionic species in your empire if you have Transcendence. If this is true, does it also work on your main species?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Check and see if you can set your new species to 'Assimilate' under rights, if you can that should give them the psionic trait back. Though I don't know if you can do that to your primary species. If not, then I'm not sure how you can recover... I thought they had fixed most of the bugs around the psychic ascension path.

If you want to use the console you can force the trait back. Do some digging on the console commands page on the wiki and it will tell you how to do it.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Psychotic Weasel posted:

You have to be xenophobic in some way in order to allow actual purging, otherwise all you can do is displace them. Even with nowhere to go POPs will still remove themselves but it take a while.

But if one of your ethics is xenophobe your POPs and factions will not be thrilled to hang out with other aliens. Regardless of how cool they may be.

Can't you use a colossus to blow up their planets?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Check and see if you can set your new species to 'Assimilate' under rights, if you can that should give them the psionic trait back. Though I don't know if you can do that to your primary species. If not, then I'm not sure how you can recover... I thought they had fixed most of the bugs around the psychic ascension path.

If you want to use the console you can force the trait back. Do some digging on the console commands page on the wiki and it will tell you how to do it.

You should be able to do assimilate on the subspecies. Then apply that template to everyone else.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Voyager I posted:

Same, I love the early game but once I get more than about four planets pop/tile management just drains my will to live. Playing tall is okay but it really just delays the inevitable (and typically involves lots of robot colonization, which is thematically cool but practically means even more micro :psylon: ).

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

McSpanky posted:

Same, I love the early game but once I get more than about four planets pop/tile management just drains my will to live.

Same. That's why at that point I just chuck everything into a sector and forget about it, I have better things to do. After all, there's a whole galaxy of food to catch out there..

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Voyager I posted:

Same. I'm extremely over tiles.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Truga posted:

Same. That's why at that point I just chuck everything into a sector and forget about it, I have better things to do. After all, there's a whole galaxy of food to catch out there..
I can't put things into sectors until they're fully developed or else the dreaded farmsplosion happens

you motherfucking idiot robots I just want my gecko people to reproduce happily in their habitat, stop filling it up with farms

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

I can't put things into sectors until they're fully developed or else the dreaded farmsplosion happens

you motherfucking idiot robots I just want my gecko people to reproduce happily in their habitat, stop filling it up with farms

I have never seen that happen before.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I'm hoping for some fine-grained population controls so I can keep doing stuff like having planets with a few organic elites and fill the rest with robots.

Or vice-versa.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
my dude if I have a habitat with 15 slots, 3 used for capital/parts depot/array and the rest left for a single gecko to reproduce, I will come back to that thing half full of geckos and half full of robits on farms

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Hunt11 posted:

I have never seen that happen before.

It's real. It's a big problem on the highest difficulties, where squeezing out every mineral is mandatory.

And even if you fully develop a planet before handing it over to a sector, they can still gently caress it up by moving pops to work the wrong tiles. One game had a main race of super-intelligent scientists that enslaved lesser races to work the mines and fields. For some reason the sector AI would inevitably assign the Master Race to work the fields, and have the slaves in the power plants and even the labs. No clear reason why.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 30, 2018

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Yeah pretty much. And it's frustrating because food just isn't that useful. I'd love to see some more edicts that cost food, because I typically top off my food needs quite early and then spend the rest of the game finding ways to dump it on other nations and turn my farms into factories. By the end of the game, I need about one farm per world, and that is typically the Paradise Dome.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
did they take out a growth bonus at full food?

also, someone just make a edict "thermal depolymerization" that's like -food +energy or something

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Food growth bonus isn't especially helpful for mechanical races. And even for servitors, there's a point where you really, really don't need your biotrophies growing any more.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

so I am back to Stellaris in eager expectation to the new patch and the End of the Tile, and I haven't played since release :buddy:

I am trying to do something different: how you guys would design something like The Culture from Iain Banks? I thought initially it would go like a machine intelligence with bio-trophies, but that kinda doesn't make sense since the Minds are unique beings rather than a collective intelligence. So, a fanatic egalitarian/pacifist with beacon of liberty/idealistic foundation?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think you can really do the culture properly atm mechanically, it's going to be more of a roleplaying thing.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

dead comedy forums posted:

so I am back to Stellaris in eager expectation to the new patch and the End of the Tile, and I haven't played since release :buddy:

I am trying to do something different: how you guys would design something like The Culture from Iain Banks? I thought initially it would go like a machine intelligence with bio-trophies, but that kinda doesn't make sense since the Minds are unique beings rather than a collective intelligence. So, a fanatic egalitarian/pacifist with beacon of liberty/idealistic foundation?

machine intelligence with bio-trophies sounds closer

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
Are eating pops still bugged? My collective of carnivorous plants are eating the remains of the Space Apes, and I'm not really seeing getting the bonuses to society and tradition. I AM getting a shitton of food and refilling those planets extremely fast.

We're also all infected with sentient brain parasites, which I imagine as a hellish nightmare existence for said slugs.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Agreed, and I'd think of each leader as being the actual Minds.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I don't think you can really do the culture properly atm mechanically, it's going to be more of a roleplaying thing.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Yeah, agreed. Just chill on my corner and buddy up with everyone and go to town if somebody decides to be a dick seems like more in accord

(I really just dig the idea of an hyper advanced chill society that can murder the poo poo out of space assholes :3: )

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Nosfereefer posted:

Are eating pops still bugged? My collective of carnivorous plants are eating the remains of the Space Apes, and I'm not really seeing getting the bonuses to society and tradition. I AM getting a shitton of food and refilling those planets extremely fast.

iirc you get the unity when they are finished purging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You might, once the new planet system comes out, be able to do a better version of the culture by having a massive industrial base and no standing army.