Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
this god damned game crashes every god damned hour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Phobeste posted:

this god damned game crashes every god damned hour

Hasn't crashed for me yet since the update. Might be your drivers?

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Hamelekim posted:

PS4

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Hamelekim posted:

Ditto. The game is buggy, sure, but there's been no crashing or anything.

Unrelatedly, I'm amazed at how :effort: the cargo slots on the exosuit is.
It's just a separate inventory where you have to keep transferring things to it.
Significantly more storage space is nice for the things you have a lot of though.

I'm just kind of sad that it doesn't automatically function with the primary inventory, to shove stuff you have a lot of into the higher capacity slots.

Will they atleast be able to pick up items when the primary inventory is full, or will I have to move stuff over manually in that case too?

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Burns posted:

Is it no possible to place storage containers on freighters without gabs in geometry?

Use the hallway pieces and not the big rooms. I've got all my storage vaults set up in cross junctions just off the main hall:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Is there a way for me to mark stuff on a planet so I can come back later? I found a wrecked ship on my second planet (which is an incredible planet, not hazardous, passive sentinels, and tons of resources) but repairing it both needed way more materials than I had and needed materials I don't think I can get on the current planet so I had to leave it behind and now I can't find it again.

Also is there a way to open a map or something period? Seems kind of silly to activate all these beacons in all these areas if it doesn't actually do anything.

panda clue
May 23, 2014
Did people figure out if you can or can't decline the free Freighter and keep jumping and getting the event to get a good one?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Oh my god, in the continuing saga of "gently caress sentinels forever", I was killing a few for a mission. Get up to alert level 3, run away until the "searching" countdown comes up. Dig a deep tunnel and hide. Sentinels arrive and reset the timer. Try again, dig a tunnel and seal the entrance. Sentinels arrive and reset the timer and warp into the chamber to shoot me. Next I just keep running while the timer counts down. Before it runs out, a group of sentinels spawn right in front of me and reset the timer. To actually get the timer to drop, you have to play this Goldilocks "just far enough" bullshit where you stay far enough away that they don't detect you, but not too far so that they spawn in on top of you.

Also, I discovered that while you can't transfer materials directly from your freighter to your exosuit, you can transfer them to a storage cube, which you can then move to your suit. Hooray for extraneous button pressing! :downs:

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I've reloaded a few dozen times and I've never seen a cool star destroyer looking freighter for my 'free' one. I wonder if the first one you run into is always supposed to be bad, but people are skipping it and moving on to a decent one?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

DaveKap posted:

Nailing a perfect melee boost is hard but when you do it, MMMF it feels so good.
https://i.imgur.com/68eHFkV.gifv

I cant help but feel this and the scanner money upgrade are going to get patched out very soon :smith:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

buglord posted:

I cant help but feel this and the scanner money upgrade are going to get patched out very soon :smith:

Why would you feel that? Scanner money was in Atlas Rises in the form of specific flora/fauna analysis blueprints and you could get up to about the level of cash that you can with 3 S-rank upgrades, and jetpack punching started off as a bug that the developers not only didn't patch out but actually added a dedicated 3rd person animation for when NEXT hit.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
What do you want to look for when you're building a base? I've just been exploring and haven't touched that part at all but I'm wondering like what kinds of resources do you want close at hand and things like that. Someone a bit ago posted they have multiple bases on different planets for farming, but why? What is good to grow?

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Oh my god, in the continuing saga of "gently caress sentinels forever", I was killing a few for a mission. Get up to alert level 3, run away until the "searching" countdown comes up. Dig a deep tunnel and hide. Sentinels arrive and reset the timer. Try again, dig a tunnel and seal the entrance. Sentinels arrive and reset the timer and warp into the chamber to shoot me. Next I just keep running while the timer counts down. Before it runs out, a group of sentinels spawn right in front of me and reset the timer. To actually get the timer to drop, you have to play this Goldilocks "just far enough" bullshit where you stay far enough away that they don't detect you, but not too far so that they spawn in on top of you.

Yeah I just ran in here to post this, only replace 'killing a few for a mission' with 'mined one rock on an airless planet'. Every time I try to escape a few more spawn right on top of me. I get in my ship and leave, only for the 'hello ships are coming to destroy you' popup to happen.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

What do you want to look for when you're building a base? I've just been exploring and haven't touched that part at all but I'm wondering like what kinds of resources do you want close at hand and things like that. Someone a bit ago posted they have multiple bases on different planets for farming, but why? What is good to grow?

Someone mentioned building a main base near a trading post, which seems like a great idea for access to a trade terminal and ships. I just put mine on the first planet I could find that had nice weather and sentinels that weren't dicks.

I've started plopping down a base computer + teleporter on various planets with convenient access to different metal deposits. You can name the planet/base things like "Cobalt Depot" or "Nuke Planet" for ease of reference. Makes it easy to pop over to replenish stocks when they get low.

e:

Airspace posted:

Yeah I just ran in here to post this, only replace 'killing a few for a mission' with 'mined one rock on an airless planet'. Every time I try to escape a few more spawn right on top of me. I get in my ship and leave, only for the 'hello ships are coming to destroy you' popup to happen.

Hopping in your ship and flying around at low level (not going into space) seems like a pretty failsafe way to run out the timer. Once you leave the ground it doesn't seem to spawn in any more ground-based sentinels.

Wingnut Ninja fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 29, 2018

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Well poo poo... now I know what I'm gonna begin building near my friends' bases. (Not Sean Murray but some SNES stuff)

So, me and a friend did a bunch of discovery around how co-op truly, significantly works and how you can actually both play in the same game (or not!) whenever you want and be able to play together whenever you want without worrying about who is hosting and where your bases are across the vast galaxy. Does anyone think it's worthwhile to do a huge write-up explaining all the little nasty details?

Here are 2 quick interesting tidbits that would be in the guide and fleshed out. 1: You can plop a portal on your friend's planet in order to always have access to it but in order to see his buildings, you have to be connected via the join-game option at least once. 2: If you both chill in the same space without using the join-game option to do so (if you're both SP but have networking turned on) then you'll see each other as glowy orbs (this is why there are 16 spaces in the multiplayer screen, you can have 15 orbs or maybe 4 players and 12 orbs in one space) and you can build a monument (this was all stuff from 1.3 but barely anyone knows it now.)

Edit: Actually, the most important tidbit is that terrain manipulation resets a lot when you wander around in online games so if you're gonna build a base and you're gonna play online, maybe don't do it on manipulated terrain. Think of the poor mushroom farmer. I'm gonna be testing how this crap resets (and if there's a way to keep it from resetting) tonight.

buglord posted:

Nope and I'll explain why.
1: A lot of various balances to the game were changed from 1.3 to NEXT and many of them in combo signify just how different this state of the game is from what it used to be. Primarily, it's a much more generous game that lets you achieve things much easier than before. This includes the scanner upgrades which I feel are perfectly fine as is when you consider how much crazy money you can make from larva, superconductors, and how much you save from selling broken ships.
2: They created the animation for the melee-boost specifically so it would look cool. They stated a long time ago that melee boosts are staying, along with the whole "let go of the mining beam for a half second for instant cooldown" trick.
3: As far as I can tell, the super boost only works if you're going down a slope. It's a guaranteed proc to hit it if you're in the sliding animation, so technically there are these frames where your character's physics are doing a sliding animation thing but the animation itself isn't being displayed yet. That's how you do these super boosts off really tiny slopes like I did here. It's a known trick that is perfectly fine.
4: Once you get land vehicles, they're still better to use than this trick.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 29, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

A streamer showed a guy's planet earlier who parked a base near the portal and drat that's a great idea.

It also occurred to me that there is no reason at all you can't have many bases on a planet :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Also what kind of space station do I have to go to to get a freaking guy to man my Exocraft terminal? It's been like six jumps :mad:

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Ciaphas posted:

A streamer showed a guy's planet earlier who parked a base near the portal and drat that's a great idea.

It also occurred to me that there is no reason at all you can't have many bases on a planet :v:

Hell, I'll just randomly drop a base marker near places I want to come back to because they're so easy to make and you can have a scads of them on a planet.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
I really hope a sequel will give the world of NMS multi biome planets and minecraft-like rivers and lava lakes.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

So, there's no way to trade in multiplayer then?

Nevermind, I figured it out. Super janky though, much like the rest of the game

Lexorin fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 29, 2018

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Ciaphas posted:

Also what kind of space station do I have to go to to get a freaking guy to man my Exocraft terminal? It's been like six jumps :mad:

Check the galaxy map from your ship; when I was looking for a farmer it highlighted the system that had one. Not sure if it works for all of the techs you recruit, I found my Exocraft guy just randomly chatting up Vrykul on a trading post.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Hmm. Quicksilver. I guess micro transactions are coming soon as well

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Burns posted:

Hmm. Quicksilver. I guess micro transactions are coming soon as well

That’s the currency from community events. It’s used for cosmetics and base decorations.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
So speaking of making mining depot bases, I found a moon that's basically nothing but cadmium deposits with a light dusting of LSD everywhere...

:catdrugs:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I happened upon a freighter under attack. I had been holding off on doing the freighter mission but I figured this wasn't my fresh save anyway and things keep breaking so why not. I succeed the mission after minutes of boring, annoying space combat where the enemies can always shoot you no matter how they are moving. Captain welcomes me aboard, I talk to him, as the quest tells me too. He thanks me and seems to offer me the ship. My only options are inspect the ship, or decline. I click inspect but nothing happens? I talk to him again and it says the former owner seems relieved. It then let's me transfer items to the freighter. Only 11 slots, but oh well. He why does the image of my freighter look like a multitool that is nothing like the actual freighter. Weird. Go to menus, nothing about owning a freighter there. No milestone, nothing. There is nothing to access the freighter outside of the captain who let's me transfer items. I leave and go do a quest. Try to summon freighter. "No freighter owned."

I think I'm done with this game until they patch at least basic poo poo to work. Rolling the dice on whether the game will literally function anytime I try to do anything has worn thin. Also fun was blowing nanites on various upgrades that ended up giving me +1-2% damage or whatever. C rank through A rank in some cases.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Is there a way to avoid dying if you trigger the fecking sentinels? I dug a tunnel, but they still could see me, I escaped in space but they interdicted me, I killed the first 2, they kept sending reinforces, I tried to land on another planet and hide underwater, they loving killed me while I was landing :wtc:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

froody guy posted:

Is there a way to avoid dying if you trigger the fecking sentinels? I dug a tunnel, but they still could see me, I escaped in space but they interdicted me, I killed the first 2, they kept sending reinforces, I tried to land on another planet and hide underwater, they loving killed me while I was landing :wtc:

I can't speak for level 4 or 5 wanted, but from 3 below, just fly away on the same planet. Going to space makes it worse. Just go far enough away and you should see a countdown timer that reads "searching". When it hits zero they deactivate. Obviously avoid landing and getting out because the game just spawns sentinels where ever you land. Just fly around. Caves usually work to confuse them, and buildings do sometimes as well, but I have had it where they never entered search mode while I was indoors.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
how is it now

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I've reloaded a few dozen times and I've never seen a cool star destroyer looking freighter for my 'free' one. I wonder if the first one you run into is always supposed to be bad, but people are skipping it and moving on to a decent one?

I ignored it a few times until i found a decent one. It's 'only' a B-Class, but it was free, it looks like a big, ugly space battle ship and it came with a B-Class Mining Vessel.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Decided to accept the first free freighter. It's the farthest I am in the game yet and I ended up with a Class A with 19 slots I think. That's fine with me!

It looks like I could send stuff from my Exosuit directly on that ship in orbit. Does it need to be in orbit of the planet I'm on or just in the same system? I just thought that I didn't try to bring stuff back from there directly...

I've read the whole thread but I'm confused with the ships... I finally got 3 S-class scanners in a basic Multi tool that let me make some money, getting a bunch of exosuit inventory upgrades to give me some breathing room. I used a few navigation disk, followed aliens' distress call waypoints after talking to them and I always end up with a flag and like one broken machinery...

Are distress beacons the thing that should give me crashed ships? Like my multi tool, I could go with a midrange ship to help the grind to an S class one (which I saw pictures here but never saw in space or on stations) which would let me carry more stuff and go faster to different POI in my quest to get better at everything along the main quest journey.

Also... how do you get antimatter? I visited a few crashed freighters because the story one got me to find one antimatter or a cargo box but now they always have insane items requirement to open them... The last one I tried wanted Chromatic something (not too bad, I saw copper around) but then processed Cobalt (level 2 I think) and I never ever saw Cobalt yet... That element wasn't even in the basic scan you can do on a planet before landing. Also 30 secs death storms every 5-10 mins seem to be normal on the 3-4 freighters I visited so far!

Everything seems to be outdated online, the reddit page is a mess with memes and stuff so all the good info I got this weekend came from here so hopefully someone can help a bit.

Oh yeah, I also wanted to thank M. Bugs guy that let us know what NOT to do to avoid seeing bugs every 5 mins like him!

Hemish fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 29, 2018

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Hemish posted:

Decided to accept the first free freighter. It's the farthest I am in the game yet and I ended up with a Class A with 19 slots I think. That's fine with me!

It looks like I could send stuff from my Exosuit directly on that ship in orbit. Does it need to be in orbit of the planet I'm on or just in the same system? I just thought that I didn't try to bring stuff back from there directly...

you can send poo poo to the freighter from your suit while it's off doing missions, it's pretty cool. you can't bring it back (maybe there's an item that lets you) though

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Hemish posted:

I've read the whole thread but I'm confused with the ships... I finally got 3 S-class scanners in a basic Multi tool that let me make some money, getting a bunch of exosuit inventory upgrades to give me some breathing room. I used a few navigation disk, followed aliens' distress call waypoints after talking to them and I always end up with a flag and like one broken machinery...

Are distress beacons the thing that should give me crashed ships? Like my multi tool, I could go with a midrange ship to help the grind to an S class one (which I saw pictures here but never saw in space or on stations) which would let me carry more stuff and go faster to different POI in my quest to get better at everything along the main quest journey.

Also... how do you get antimatter? I visited a few crashed freighters because the story one got me to find one antimatter or a cargo box but now they always have insane items requirement to open them... The last one I tried wanted Chromatic something (not too bad, I saw copper around) but then processed Cobalt (level 2 I think) and I never ever saw Cobalt yet... That element wasn't even in the basic scan you can do on a planet before landing. Also 30 secs death storms every 5-10 mins seem to be normal on the 3-4 freighters I visited so far!

Everything seems to be outdated online, the reddit page is a mess with memes and stuff so all the good info I got this weekend came from here so hopefully someone can help a bit.

Oh yeah, I also wanted to thank M. Bugs guy that let us know what NOT to do and see bugs every 5 mins like he seems to be getting!

You're supposed to get the recipe for antimatter after your first jump. Before you get the quest for the free freighter. Otherwise you have to find it randomly.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

You're supposed to get the recipe for antimatter after your first jump. Before you get the quest for the free freighter. Otherwise you have to find it randomly.

I feel so dumb... I forgot about that... I did the story quest out of order now that you got me to remember. I found antimatter and a casing in a crashed freighter so it bypassed the main quest so I went straight to refuel the warp drive when I got it installed.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Okay I think I'm having an issue with a bug.

So I got my free freighter. Needed some stuff to build the command room, so popped out, collected poo poo, and ran to the nearest space station for some errands. When I came out, there were some more pirates attacking my freighter. I killed them all and the attack ended, but my freighter keeps making the distress noise and has the doors closed, preventing me from getting inside.

I went to a planet and hosed around there for a while, but my freighter is still alarming and won't let me in.

What do?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

People annoyed at sentinels: Get in your ship, get out of your ship (save point created) and reload. Threat level does not stick through a reload.

Also I joined a random game to buy a slot expansion and the guy I joined on I guess got scared I was there to mess with him and immediately quit. However he had already unlocked a bunch of waypoints including a crashed freighter, an ancient ruin, and a crashed ship. So I ended with a couple mill from the ruins and the freighter and I added a 15M A class hauler to my collection I’m hoping to trade for something functional. The station on this system also had both S-rank modules for shield and mining so I made out like a bandit from this quick run.

Thanks, random guy!

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 29, 2018

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Another thing I learned from playing a converted preNext save, you can't port to any old systems you visited. I had like 4 or 5 systems on my list when I loaded in, uploaded the data for nearly 2000 nanites, but none of those systems are available to port to from a TP, aside from the one I loaded into.

I'm starting to thing preNext saves are just flat out hosed. I also don't have an Atlas Pass or the recipe. I've been the the Anomaly twice now and they never give me the recipe. Or am I supposed to find the Atlas Station first? I thought you get Atlas Pass v1 from Polo on the Anomaly.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Sorry if it's come up already but buying heat protection from the vendor in a space station seems to be busted? I go to install a heat protection module and it turns into a cold module every time :saddowns:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

Okay I think I'm having an issue with a bug.

So I got my free freighter. Needed some stuff to build the command room, so popped out, collected poo poo, and ran to the nearest space station for some errands. When I came out, there were some more pirates attacking my freighter. I killed them all and the attack ended, but my freighter keeps making the distress noise and has the doors closed, preventing me from getting inside.

I went to a planet and hosed around there for a while, but my freighter is still alarming and won't let me in.

What do?

Add that to the list of ways freighters are currently broken.

explosivo posted:

Sorry if it's come up already but buying heat protection from the vendor in a space station seems to be busted? I go to install a heat protection module and it turns into a cold module every time :saddowns:

I had the same thing happen to me sort of. I was given a Thermal Shield as a reward but when I installed it, it was the Cold shield. Luckily for me it worked out, because half of the planets I visited so far were all cold, but still...

Also the Cold shield is weird. In normal cold, it drains super fast, but I went to a Subzero world with frequent storms and it felt like it did better? Like it lasted as long if not longer in extreme weather than it does in more normal cold.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

explosivo posted:

Well, I got given a module that said it was cold protection and turned into heat protection when I installed it, so maybe try getting one of those? I don't know if it was because I already had a cold module or if it was just the game being buggy but it worked out in my favor.

e: also, just want to say holy poo poo, Nada (the Korvax in the Anomaly Sphere) just gave me 2700 nanites out of the blue. I went to turn in the latest quest for Polo, and when they weren't talking to me I went to Nada and they asked something about what kind of aid I wanted; I asked for a shortcut to the center of the galaxy, so they marked a black hole on my map and then randomly were like "oh also here's a shitload of nanites".

It's kind of weird since until I get a better ship or multitool I'm kind of running out of useful things to spend nanites on. I'm just banking them now so I can bling out a really good multitool if I ever find one.

Wingnut Ninja fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Well, I got given a module that said it was cold protection and turned into heat protection when I installed it, so maybe try getting one of those? I don't know if it was because I already had a cold module or if it was just the game being buggy but it worked out in my favor.
The cold and heat ones are reversed. Buy the cold if you want heat protection, and vice versa. Wish I knew that bug before I wasted nanites.