Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
You are slaves to your jobs and an orange 70 year old rich man is ruling your nation for shits and giggles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Edgar posted:

I work 40 hours but I'm considered part time at my office. I am hourly and get no benefits. Yeah for being a junior software engineer.

lol look for a new job immediately, you're getting hosed if you're writing code in the us of a

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Zzulu posted:

Why haven't americans done a mass exodus yet

Why still live in your country

My wife has dual citizenship in New Zealand so once poo poo gets unbearable here we're headed there, but my parents live here and they're olds and I don't want to be on the other side of the world when mom finally has a heart attack or something :sigh:

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Picnic Princess posted:

If I want time off, I just ask for it in exchange for not getting paid that day. Work saves money on labour, and I accept my decision to have a smaller paycheque that pay period. My boss accepts that I'm human and my job isn't my only purpose for existing. I know, it sounds crazy, but the world keeps turning and the business stays running if I'm away for a day or two! And yet I still have a job even if I'm away and they still operate just fine. Because they're not monsters who only value people for their maximum productivity levels and nothing else.
Chaotic Neutral Employment

Not sure if this post is a joke, but you're getting hosed. The company can give you the money and they will never, ever miss it.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Edgar posted:

I work 40 hours but I'm considered part time at my office. I am hourly and get no benefits. Yeah for being a junior software engineer.

Seriouspost: come work for my company and do all that except be considered full time, get full benefits (including 100% covered healthcare for yourself and cheap healthcare for dependents) and vacation.

Caveat: you gotta move to Florida and make dumb poo poo with javascript.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

20 days are the legal minimum in Germany, but almost everyone gets 30 days. Employers are required to pay you normal wages during that time. Not getting paid during vacation is mind-boggling to me. How are you expected to survive in a month where you take a two week vacation or something. You save up for you r vacation? :psyduck:

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Zzulu posted:

You are slaves to your jobs and an orange 70 year old rich man is ruling your nation for shits and giggles

I've got union membership in the IBEW so I guess technically I could go work in Canada.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Aren’t you legally full time if you work 40? Like you can report that poo poo to the labor bureau or something and get your work go pay up.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

George H.W. oval office posted:

Aren’t you legally full time if you work 40? Like you can report that poo poo to the labor bureau or something and get your work go pay up.

I was thinking "full-time" work has been legally defined at like 36 hours or something for purposes of labor laws, which is why lots of places will make you work 32 or 34 so you don't technically count as full-time and they thus don't have to provide benefits to you

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

How are you expected to survive in a month where you take a two week vacation or something. You save up for you r vacation? :psyduck:

you aren't and yes the people who take vacation save for it (or take out loans one of the reasons they ask when you look at loans is if its for a vacation)

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zzulu posted:

Brain drain is going to be a Big Issue in a decade or two.

Idk I could easily go live in Germany but... I like it here. :shrug: this is where my friends and family and everything I know are.

Just remove the assholes making GBS threads the place up.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

20 days are the legal minimum in Germany, but almost everyone gets 30 days. Employers are required to pay you normal wages during that time. Not getting paid during vacation is mind-boggling to me. How are you expected to survive in a month where you take a two week vacation or something. You save up for you r vacation? :psyduck:
Simple, you just take out a gigantic loan and go further into crippling debt. The people with all the money will happily sell you some of their money in exchange for even more money.

Scary!
Oct 22, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) does not define full-time employment or part-time employment. This is a matter generally to be determined by the employer. Whether an employee is considered full-time or part-time does not change the application of the FLSA, nor does it affect application of the Service Contract Act or Davis-Bacon and Related Acts wage and fringe benefit requirements.

https://www.dol.gov/general/topic/workhours/full-time

Huh

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Zzulu posted:

social democracy comrades

come to sweden, we are very accepting

Wasn't sweden named the rape capitol of europe a few years ago?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

You just don't go on vacation, ever, and are grateful for when your two days off are in a row. Assuming you don't just have the one legally mandated day off.

Or of course that you aren't working two jobs in which case you're just grateful if you have both give you the same day off and that way you can get your errands done that day.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
My wife is a biochemist and I'm trying to convince her to move to Switzerland. So, yeah brain drain is a problem, and all the dumb hicks in this country can die on a street curb after back to back shifts at Hardee's and Wal-Mart just as their masters want for all I care.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

spacetoaster posted:

Turns out when you're one of the only ones that gives a poo poo enough to pursue rape cases while the village elders in wherever India don't count ever and the hicks in USA don't run the rape kits ever, the number is higher.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The kind of jobs where you don't get paid time off are the kind of jobs that will fire you for taking more than a day off at once so that problem sorts itself out. The only people who go on vacation for meaningful amounts of time in the US are salaried and get paid time off

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Laslow posted:

all the dumb hicks in this country can die on a street curb after back to back shifts at Hardee's and Wal-Mart just as their masters want for all I care.

:yeah:

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

If you believe Donald Trump and Nigel Farage, yes. Other reality-based methods of assessing this may not agree

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Moridin920 posted:

Turns out when you're one of the only ones that gives a poo poo enough to pursue rape cases while the village elders in wherever India don't count ever and the hicks in USA don't run the rape kits ever, the number is higher.

Kinda like california being the hate crime capitol of the world.

Spatial posted:

If you believe Donald Trump and Nigel Farage, yes. Other reality-based methods of assessing this may not agree

I didn't know they had weighed in on the situation. Thanks for keeping an eye on them.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

I'm leery of any "rape on the rise!" reports from europe in the last few years because most of them are just there to feed the narrative "look at all these icky gross muslims I bet they're all criminal rapist gang member serial killers!!!"

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Laslow posted:

My wife is a biochemist and I'm trying to convince her to move to Switzerland. So, yeah brain drain is a problem, and all the dumb hicks in this country can die on a street curb after back to back shifts at Hardee's and Wal-Mart just as their masters want for all I care.

:eyepop:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Laslow posted:

"Good, yes, break into smaller groups, why should we care, we're not like those dumb hicks, not like the other, we're the good ones, the ones that are wise to this, we will make it through and escape and everyone else can just burn"

This kind of thinking is literally how the upper class kept the poor white indentured servants from allying with slaves and overthrowing them

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Zzulu posted:

My parents and family are all here, and I'm an only child so it's important I be around for them as they are somewhat up there in age. I would consider it after they pass away though.

Also I have no idea how easy it is for someone to just move to Europe for a job. I'm relatively high skilled (biostatistician) but I don't know any other languages, etc.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Zzulu posted:

I've got a house, and bank account, in europe just in case.

But honestly life in merica is pretty sweet if you've got money.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

I've got a house, and bank account, in europe just in case.

But honestly life in merica is pretty sweet if you've got money.

Lol you're so getting the guillotine friend

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Zzulu posted:

just lol if you think this is somehow a uniquely american problem and that the horrors of late capitalism aren't already well on their way to spreading to the rest of the world.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

ate all the Oreos posted:

Lol you're so getting the guillotine friend

lol, if you think that's anything but a dumb meme.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Moridin920 posted:

Brain drain is going to be a Big Issue in a decade or two.

Idk I could easily go live in Germany but... I like it here. :shrug: this is where my friends and family and everything I know are.

Just remove the assholes making GBS threads the place up.

If only there was some way to remove all the shitters at the top. Some sort of... Overturning...

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Zzulu posted:

come to sweden, we are very accepting

Not so much of unskilled labor immigrants friend.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Moridin920 posted:

By market cap:

Kind of inaccurate, since those "top 5" companies on the right aren't owned by a single company, they're all owned by numerous groups and individuals (partially by some of the holding companies on the left), for example, 69% of the alphabet stock is owned by investment companies and holding companies.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Drone_Fragger posted:

they're all owned by numerous groups and individuals (partially by some of the holding companies on the left), for example, 69% of the alphabet stock is owned by investment companies and holding companies.

It is by market cap which is just number of shares outstanding x price of share

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

is pepsi ok posted:

just lol if you think this is somehow a uniquely american problem and that the horrors of late capitalism aren't already well on their way to spreading to the rest of the world.
It is though. There are no other first world countries with no paid paternity leave, or no legally required holidays etc.

You guys are getting hosed and told it's normal and happening everywhere. It isn't.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Spatial posted:

It is though. There are no other first world countries with no paid paternity leave, or no legally required holidays etc.

You guys are getting hosed and told it's normal and happening everywhere. It isn't.

I dunno, they get to pass on healthcare and treat themselves with fish antibiotics. It's a freedom we don't have. Plus all that insane crime and murder and violence, which we don't have either. Seems like a pretty sweet deal.

e: wait no, it's not. gently caress.

but at least you have really great research universities . probably the best in the world, thanks to all the foreigners coming to you to study and PhD there

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

It depends on the company, really. There are no legal requirements for what PTO is or how it's implemented so of course some companies have horrid policies to the surprise of basically nobody. Others are decent.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
The day I am eligible for medicare is the day I retire. I'll take my diminished social security (because I didn't work for another year and 2 months). I'll live for another 5 or 10 years in relative poverty and leave nothing for my heirs except an old beater truck and decades of hoarded stuff to deal with.

e: this will mean one more job opening for meh wages and so-so bennies. get your resumes ready kids.

dee eight has issued a correction as of 21:09 on Jul 29, 2018

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret

I think it is something called FTE (full time equivalent). I've been updating my resume and will be applying elsewhere, this is my first tech job (13 years industrial sandblasting/painting before this)

But with my BS in computer science and software engineering and 4 years experience, I hope to make at least 50k and have PTO benefits so I can take a non-weekend vacation for the first time.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
My company has its HQ in the US, and its a horror story compared to our second office here in the EU.
One of our managers went over to the US office for a visit, and while there saw one employee being walked to the door by security.
He was told the reason why he was fired, and balked. It wouldn't even be a manager talk over here to not do it again.
And our HQ has a massive churn problem, and we have people who don't want to leave.
Doing the same job, just treated differently ie poo poo.
And they can't see why they cant get people to stay long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

happyhippy posted:

My company has its HQ in the US, and its a horror story compared to our second office here in the EU.
One of our managers went over to the US office for a visit, and while there saw one employee being walked to the door by security.
He was told the reason why he was fired, and balked. It wouldn't even be a manager talk over here to not do it again.
And our HQ has a massive churn problem, and we have people who don't want to leave.
Doing the same job, just treated differently ie poo poo.
And they can't see why they cant get people to stay long.

It's not even a US problem, it's just bad upper management. We got taken over by a swedish company and they don't know the industry at all, and are now running it into the ground. People in our building (which is brand new, and purpose built, for this job, mind) are not being replaced if they leave or retire at this point due to "budget overruns". The USA department recently got rid of something like 150 staff, too. It's all because the overall sales stratagy from above is completely out of touch with what customers actually want.