Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jedit posted:

You're meant to. He even had the chance to change his path, and didn't.

Really thinking about it more, I didn't realize how hosed up that episode was. I was a child back when this originally aired. Watching it again as an adult, these episodes are a lot more meaningful and impactful. Season 2 really punches you in the gut with that episode of the entire alien race dying and then following it up with the surrender and mass genocide of the Narn race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Pick posted:

Yes, untreated rabies is 100% fatal. Kind of amazing,

IIRC treated rabies has a survival rate of 6. As in: SIX people to ever survive it.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Rewatching B5 on Amazon and I completely forgot G'Kar used his fake eye to watch Sheridan and Delenn gently caress on their honeymoon. :stonk:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

I said come in! posted:

I forgot how hosed up the Narn homeworld invasion episode is. You really lose a lot of respect for Lando with that one.

I love that it's so bad that even the loving Vorlons lodge a complaint with the Centauri over what they're doing.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Mental Hospitality posted:

Rewatching B5 on Amazon and I completely forgot G'Kar used his fake eye to watch Sheridan and Delenn gently caress on their honeymoon. :stonk:

"Weird Space Pervert" was always a core part of G'Kar's character.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Polaron posted:

I love that it's so bad that even the loving Vorlons lodge a complaint with the Centauri over what they're doing.

The Vorlons knew the Shadows were backing the Centauri. They had also spent time over the last 1000 years getting the Narn on board - that's when the Book of G'Quan was written. The Vorlon complaint wasn't about the Centauri, it was about manipulating alliances.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Classic Kosh still held influence over whatever ruling mechanism the Vorlons have, so, that might've been a factor too.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I said come in! posted:

I forgot how hosed up the Narn homeworld invasion episode is. You really lose a lot of respect for Lando with that one.

I love that speech G'Kar gives so much, part of it was in the commercials SciFi used to run for their B5 rerun block that first drew my attention to the series.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

Mental Hospitality posted:

That was so very odd and creepy and out-of-place.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Dirty posted:

That was so very odd and creepy and out-of-place.

Odd yes, creepy yes, but out of place? G'Kar's been hooking up with prosties of other species since the pilot.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

After watching DS9, none of B5's sexual misconduct compares with Dukat.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
That's not really comparable though, since dukat is an antagonist. The g'kar eye thing is just JMS's weird sense of humor.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Snow White and The Seven Narns

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

One thing that makes me sad about Babylon 5 is that none of the blank spaces in the lore were later filled in. I wish there was more explained about the Vorlon homeworld, really all of the homeworlds of each race. On the other hand that mystery is kind of a good quality to the show, if that makes sense?

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Yeah, too often expanding the lore actually compresses it. Everything is conveniently connected, it make the universe feel small. It's lazy writing, which means it's easy, and often very fanservicey.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Jedit posted:

Odd yes, creepy yes, but out of place? G'Kar's been hooking up with prosties of other species since the pilot.

Yeah, but there's a big step between that and casually, covertly, watching two of your friends having sex.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Yes, I feel keeping the mystery around certain areas is a good thing, helps preserve the mystique. It is a persistent theme on this show how the universe is a big and mysterious place, filled with races and places who even old races like the Minbari know nothing about. If there is no sense of mystery and the unknown, then there's no need for adventurers and dreamers.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Platonicsolid posted:

Yeah, too often expanding the lore actually compresses it. Everything is conveniently connected, it make the universe feel small. It's lazy writing, which means it's easy, and often very fanservicey.

Yeah. Every time someone says that we need a Dilgar War prequel, my first thought is "no we don't".

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Platonicsolid posted:

Like how every single person in Star Trek has dated or knows the other person's mom.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Dirty posted:

Yeah. Every time someone says that we need a Dilgar War prequel, my first thought is "no we don't".

I wouldn’t mind a Dilgar war prequel on the grounds the ONLY names they brought back were a recast Doc Frankln’s Dad and Deathwalker. A stand alone sci fi film about a newbie earth forces entering the galaxy and aiding struggling alien refugees and worlds? Could be good stuff in the right hands. Could go next gen naive and hopeful or add the subtle political profiteering and manoeuvres b5 was known for. Best of luck pitching it, as studios wouldn’t look twice without the promise of rebooting the whole series, if they didn’t balk at touching the B5 universe in general. Of course... anything old can be made new and all of that, but SHOULD we? Just keep anyone involved with Star Trek and Star Wars the hell away. Still shocked, in these far right times, nobody has made a 40k film. I’m absolutely positive our current leaders would love a “300 in space”... plus I really want people to start using words like “heresy” and “cleanse” again. I would so giggle if Putin called for an Exterminatus.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 29, 2018

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think the main problem with a prequel is that there wouldn't be a central venue for all the diplomacy. I would like another show in a similar spirit though.

Also on my sci-fi wishlist is a show with proper lighting and not these poorly-lit rooms with improbable bright blue lights highlighting shadows.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What I really need is a new Babylon 5 video game. I really want a video game adaptation actually of Babylon 5 Wars, because that table top game is hard to find now.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

I said come in! posted:

What I really need is a new Babylon 5 video game. I really want a video game adaptation actually of Babylon 5 Wars, because that table top game is hard to find now.

Held on to the Into the Fire poster for years. What might have been...

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think the main problem with a prequel is that there wouldn't be a central venue for all the diplomacy. I would like another show in a similar spirit though.

Also on my sci-fi wishlist is a show with proper lighting and not these poorly-lit rooms with improbable bright blue lights highlighting shadows.

Yeah that's the thing with this show. The sets are so dark, especially down below. I mean I get why, but you would think lighting up service areas would be a priority and more LEDs would probably be a rounding error for the fusion reactor production. Especially considering tons of people live down there and they'd like to be able to see. Homeless people today figure out how to get power off street lights.

Speaking of the reactor, I love how it's not a focal point of action at all, and you can't even access it easily. There's only one episode where it appears.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

You need a computer to play it with more than 2 or 3 ships on each side. It was Star Fleet Battles levels of complexity.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

I run B5 wars every year as a con game with a somewhat simplified rule set. Everybody loves rolling for crits and filling out the damage sheets.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Von_Doom posted:

Of course... anything old can be made new and all of that, but SHOULD we?

Exactly. The story of a fresh-faced spacefaring humanity coming up against it's first big challenge doesn't need to be a Dilgar War story. Let's have a new IP, it stands more change of being popular than anything trading on the B5 name, and it doesn't have to worry about continuity. Take that premise, blow the doors off it and go all out, don't bother hamstringing it by making it a prequel to something.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

raverrn posted:

I run B5 wars every year as a con game with a somewhat simplified rule set. Everybody loves rolling for crits and filling out the damage sheets.

The manual was awesome and I read it all of the time. :allears:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

The manual was awesome and I read it all of the time. :allears:

Is there something particular you're looking for? I have the entire printed product line an PDFs, though I don't have many of the minis.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Midjack posted:

Is there something particular you're looking for? I have the entire printed product line an PDFs, though I don't have many of the minis.

I actually need a PDF of the manual as I lost my physical copy. :(

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Dirty posted:

Exactly. The story of a fresh-faced spacefaring humanity coming up against it's first big challenge doesn't need to be a Dilgar War story. Let's have a new IP, it stands more change of being popular than anything trading on the B5 name, and it doesn't have to worry about continuity. Take that premise, blow the doors off it and go all out, don't bother hamstringing it by making it a prequel to something.

I mean, isn't that The Expanse?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Midjack posted:

You need a computer to play it with more than 2 or 3 ships on each side. It was Star Fleet Battles levels of complexity.

It's easier than SFB was at the time they were both in release. My understanding is that the SFB reboot is somewhat easier to play. I never needed a computer, but a reasonable-sized conflict (5 ships on a side) can take 5 hours to play through, and it became obvious when I tried to teach the game recently just how old-school it is, and just how much of the old school is needlessly complex. Not unlike SFB, B5W is in many ways "ship damage, the game" as that's the most enjoyable part of it, and you have to put in a fair amount of time to work out the tactics to the point you can enjoy on that basis.

I once made an attempt to GM a mini-campaign with six people, online, but only two of them could meet deadlines and the thing ground quickly to a halt. As I think I've mentioned before ITT, I do have an idea for a modified version of the game to be played here in the Let's Play forum, but it'll probably be several years before I have any chance of spending the time necessary and I have no idea if there will be interest. I think the biggest flaw with B5W is that the meaningful combats in the show are tied to story, but the combats in the game are largely instead of story. An ongoing campaign alongside an ongoing story is the only solution I can see.

For those who still run B5W at conventions, I had sketched out a scenario to run in such circumstances based upon Endgame; the biggest flaw is that you have to stick potential new players in White Stars, but there's major advantages to having one side run by the GM.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Angry Lobster posted:

Yes, I feel keeping the mystery around certain areas is a good thing, helps preserve the mystique. It is a persistent theme on this show how the universe is a big and mysterious place, filled with races and places who even old races like the Minbari know nothing about. If there is no sense of mystery and the unknown, then there's no need for adventurers and dreamers.

I think one of the most underated moments of B5 is G'Kar's little speech about an Ant to Catherine Sakai.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I actually need a PDF of the manual as I lost my physical copy. :(

I got home and found my Compendium; I thought it had a PDF of the rules but the Ships of the Fleet books were the ones with the CD. I don't think I can help you right now, though there are a couple of rulebooks floating around on eBay.

Check PMs.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Midjack posted:

I got home and found my Compendium; I thought it had a PDF of the rules but the Ships of the Fleet books were the ones with the CD. I don't think I can help you right now, though there are a couple of rulebooks floating around on eBay.

Check PMs.

Thank you! I am going to try to get one on Ebay.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

I'm watching for the first time and just reached season 5

Sheridan.... why did you grow a goatee

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

jerry seinfel posted:

The 90s were hosed up.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I said come in! posted:

The 90s were hosed up.

Marcus and Lennier: proto-incels or incel precursors?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

jerry seinfel posted:

He looks better with the beard. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

McSpanky posted:

Marcus and Lennier: proto-incels or incel precursors?

Marcus was a genuine white knight.