Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Better
This poll is closed.
John Zandig 107 75.35%
DJ Hyde 35 24.65%
Total: 142 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Ktik posted:

He's great, and then Matt Striker makes it so awful to listen to.

I'm torn, because I wish Striker would gently caress off, but I also don't want him teaching young people, either, dudes dumber than hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

CombineThresher posted:

MLW put Battle Riot up on Youtube and Tony Schiavone has the time of his life calling the main event. It's worth watching just for his reactions to stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1j8A8GxvCw

I love how weirded out Tony is by all of Joey Ryan's dick-based everything in his match with MJF. He sounds like he's having fun but can't figure out how to call it in a professional way while Striker makes puns and innuendos. Striker is mostly grating but I liked him in that match because of the dynamic between the two.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I have no clue what Matt Striker brings to the table in 2018, his commentary style is so painfully dated and he's a lovely human being on top of that. Can't we send him to the Joey Styles banishment zone already? Stop booking this guy.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I don't know why Rich wasn't on the show but I hope it was a one time thing. I've grown to like his pairing with Tony.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Phenix Rising posted:

I love how weirded out Tony is by all of Joey Ryan's dick-based everything in his match with MJF. He sounds like he's having fun but can't figure out how to call it in a professional way while Striker makes puns and innuendos. Striker is mostly grating but I liked him in that match because of the dynamic between the two.

Mostly unrelated but I'm extremely glad MJF is getting booked in so many places this year, especially for someone so young/new. He's really great at what he does, I always have fun watching him.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Draxion posted:

Mostly unrelated but I'm extremely glad MJF is getting booked in so many places this year, especially for someone so young/new. He's really great at what he does, I always have fun watching him.

I didn't realize, until they mentioned it on commentary, that he's only been wrestling for 3 years. Dude is a natural and there's no reason he shouldn't become a star with his charisma and how well he seems to promo off the cuff. He was at a number of Wrestle Circus shows here last year, too, and was always good at getting heat on himself. Just a super fun guy to watch anytime I've seen him.

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

CombineThresher posted:

MLW put Battle Riot up on Youtube and Tony Schiavone has the time of his life calling the main event. It's worth watching just for his reactions to stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1j8A8GxvCw

watching this i learned that A. sawyer fulton still exists and B. he's in a bootleg sanity with sami callihan and both those things are very funny to me

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

John Dudebro posted:

watching this i learned that A. sawyer fulton still exists and B. he's in a bootleg sanity with sami callihan and both those things are very funny to me

I think he still even wears the jacket he wore in Sanity.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Americanrana starting now

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/AAWPro/status/1023732934904303616

Super No Vacancy fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 30, 2018

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

This Alicia Atout girl is a loving horrible interviewer.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Americanrana has been super good, btw.

Also I thought Moose was out with that concussion?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

coconono posted:

Americanrana has been super good, btw.

This is my second Beyond show and I wish they had a camera on the entrance. Also I love Trent, but that match felt way too long.

Looking forward to seeing how Tall Johnny Gargano is in his title match later.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

sportsgenius86 posted:

This Alicia Atout girl is a loving horrible interviewer.

She needs time. She's been doing indie blog stuff so she's a bit out of her element right now. That sais some of her stuff with Smash and her blog isn't all that bad. Like Renee Paquette at the beginning (who was absolutely horrid her first couple times after leaving Sportsnet), she found her groove.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Battle Riot was a lot of fun though it dragged in the middle, 30 really is the exact right amount for a Royal Rumble-style match

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

coconono posted:

AAW's working under the assumption it's a minor one and not one he'll still struggle to be cleared back from 2 months from now

Him being a former football player, it's 50-50 at best and definitely not an assumption I'd make so easily

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

This match is not doing much to excite me about present-day CHIKARA.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Beyond's been decent but I'm kinda glad I didn't go to it live. Would of been way too long of a night.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

MJF is ruling this intermission interview.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Wow this uhhhh this Starr-Janela match. Nick Gage is amazing on commentary btw. Nick please stop wrestling and start commentating

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It was real good up until Joey accidently cracked his head on that chair.

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

Jenkem Delivery posted:

Wow this uhhhh this Starr-Janela match. Nick Gage is amazing on commentary btw. Nick please stop wrestling and start commentating

I'm not really into deathmatches but that was pretty good, hope Janela was just selling at the end there.

And yeah Nick Gage came off as more coherent that I thought he'd be

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Phenix Rising posted:

the opening part looked like they struggled to get a rhythm. poo poo got a lot better when they got up to speed and then threw Quack into the audience.

Gage and Tremont did a lot for that Barbed Wire match breaking down the pain and psychology. Gage went apeshit for that cinderblock piledriver.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I'm thinking he was just selling as he was coherent enough to make jokes.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Benne posted:

I have no clue what Matt Striker brings to the table in 2018, his commentary style is so painfully dated and he's a lovely human being on top of that. Can't we send him to the Joey Styles banishment zone already? Stop booking this guy.

I will never get over the fact that I saw Matt Striker wrestle The Amazing Red in 2015.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

coconono posted:

the opening part looked like they struggled to get a rhythm. poo poo got a lot better when they got up to speed and then threw Quack into the audience.

Gage and Tremont did a lot for that Barbed Wire match breaking down the pain and psychology. Gage went apeshit for that cinderblock piledriver.

on one hand I want to get the VOD just so I can hear Gage and Tremont break it down

on the other hand I watched Joey get splatted a bunch live and had to spend 5 minutes watching people cutting Penelope out of the barbed wire board

Phenix Rising posted:

This is my second Beyond show and I wish they had a camera on the entrance. Also I love Trent, but that match felt way too long.

I think Drew has like 3 cameramen usually, 1 manning the hardcam and 2 roving the sidelines, it generally works pretty well, especially given that he picks some odd fitting venues and doesn't cordon off the ringside unless for insurance and/or loving Melrose city hall reasons

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Phenix Rising posted:

Trashbag Abyss is my favorite wrestler on the planet and it is exciting to know there is a whole stable of them.

Match was so loving sloppy though but whatever people liked it. I'd have been happy for it not to be on the show and to get home half an hour earlier. In its place just give me a Trashbag Abyss promo.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
rough live thoughts

1. EYFBO vs WWR - good solid opener, all of them work well and even if intergender isnt your thing it was at the start of the card
2. AR Fox vs Retro - hot match crowd had fun with the beachballs Retro brought out for a while, went kind of crazy at times
3. Josh Briggs vs Brody King - solid hossoff not really bad, just not as good as the prior 2
4. Trent vs Gresham - I was happy to see Trent back, but I kind of felt like it should have probably gone a bit shorter if the end was going to be DQ by Stokely
5. Filthy Bros vs Team GCW - great match to close out the first half, but did they announce on air if it was No-DQ? I don't remember Rich announcing it, and was kind of puzzled at the finish. (Unless Gage just takes the Raven rules gimmick which is OK)
6. Chikara Atomicos - Kind of slow at the start, but picked itself up to be exactly what was needed after the intermission ended. Especially when Quack just got thrown out of the ring.
7. Yuta vs Hot Sauce - This match took a while to get the crowd into it, but it was pretty heated by the end and just doing rolling piledrivers was a great capstone. It was not Yuta's day, earlier his car got whacked while Nick Gage was getting stuff out of the backseat and he couldn't close his back driver's side door. The dude who did the hit adn run also whacked like 3 other cars parked on the side as well. While I was inline, I watched him as the cops came to take a report
8. Tag 4 way - great match, just about as indieriffic you could get a 4 way tag match
9. PCO vs Cage - Goddamn what a match. loving insane and I'm glad I knocked off PCO 2018 comeback tour off the bucket list
10. Starr vs Janela - see above

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jul 30, 2018

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Gage punched a chair that was being held by his opponent, you can't DQ Gage and it's still to DQ the opposing team since they were hurt by stupidly holding a chair during a wrestling match.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

Gage punched a chair that was being held by his opponent, you can't DQ Gage and it's still to DQ the opposing team since they were hurt by stupidly holding a chair during a wrestling match.

I kind of feel that's being too clever by a half because a dude brings a chair in the ring, throws it at his opponent who catches it in defense, and then punches it so it attacks the opponent. all 3 of those things could be grounds for a DQ by the ref (bring in a foreign object, throwing a foreign object at an opponent, and using it to attack the opponent), so having a ref ignore the chicanery for all 3 of those is just really super confusing

its a spot that works fine if there's a reason the ref can ignore what is going on (no-dq or similar stip) or if the ref distracted. maybe the ref was still supposed to be on the other side of the ring at that point and screwed it up

the guys I was talking at tthe time was like "What" and wondred if there was a stip change or something, but then they shrugged their shoulders because it was Nick Gage doing it and well MDK

i could also catch bits of the commentary from my spot, and I remember Drew wondering directly on why it wasn't a DQ

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Gage matches are all basically no DQ. I don't think I've ever seen one happen.

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006
Boomer Hatfield's literal first match in front of people was that Atomicos match at Americanrana. Not a bad way to break in. Always answer your phone and be ready at a moment's notice.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

As a ref, are you seriously going to tell Nick Gage not to use furniture? The dude is legit dangerous.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Cory Lidle posted:

Boomer Hatfield's literal first match in front of people was that Atomicos match at Americanrana. Not a bad way to break in. Always answer your phone and be ready at a moment's notice.

Oh wow, really? That explains a lot. I figured he'd been at least wrestling in CHIKARA but I feel like I should be less critical of the match if that's the case.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Phenix Rising posted:

Oh wow, really? That explains a lot. I figured he'd been at least wrestling in CHIKARA but I feel like I should be less critical of the match if that's the case.

I believe that's Cam Zagami under the hood. I could be super wrong tho

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

coconono posted:

That's a name I haven't heard before but if that's true he's been wrestling since 2012 and yeesh

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

coconono posted:

I don't think it is. Zagami was pretty solid when I've seen him at Beyond and Chikara shows, plus I don't think he'd make the drive down from New Hampshire to ring crew at a Wrestle Factory show on a Saturday.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1023962926963720192

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

If Cody headlines over this he's an idiot and a narcissist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Your Parents posted:

If Cody headlines over this he's an idiot and a narcissist.

I suspect Kennys match will be the main event, still hasn't been announced