Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Roman posted:

The cold and heat ones are reversed. Buy the cold if you want heat protection, and vice versa. Wish I knew that bug before I wasted nanites.

Oh god damnit. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

Wingnut Ninja posted:

e: also, just want to say holy poo poo, Nada (the Korvax in the Anomaly Sphere) just gave me 2700 nanites out of the blue. I went to turn in the latest quest for Polo, and when they weren't talking to me I went to Nada and they asked something about what kind of aid I wanted; I asked for a shortcut to the center of the galaxy, so they marked a black hole on my map and then randomly were like "oh also here's a shitload of nanites".

He gives you nanites for each milestone you reach. I had about 1k nanites' worth stacked up when I first spoke to him.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

So is there any way to permanently mark locations on a planet that I'm somehow missing? I went through the hassle of activating my first portal and now I have no idea where it is. I didn't have the mats to build a base next to it at the time

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Roman posted:

So is there any way to permanently mark locations on a planet that I'm somehow missing? I went through the hassle of activating my first portal and now I have no idea where it is. I didn't have the mats to build a base next to it at the time

Nope. You can hold to mark things in your visor, but only one thing at a time, and sometimes they just go away. And they also go away if you reload. No navigational features allowed in this exploration game.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
so discord isn't working for a friend and when i use voice chat in game, they say i sound like a robot or like i have a voice filter on or something. anyone know anything about this?

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Roman posted:

Beacons are a permanent marker and they're also portable technology to boot, so if you get sick of one you can just take it back.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I think I broke the Traveler questline. I needed to get good standing with the Mercenary guys and was directed to a questgiver, did one of the missions and went back for another but the only one there sucked so I figured I'd go into another system and presto, found a much better mission to do which I then turned in at the same station I got it from.

Now it's guiding me back to the first guy, considering that step of the quest complete, but even with the icon over his head he's not advancing the quest and the little tip box says the mission is in another system.

I can't roll back a save or anything. Anyone encountered this?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

3 posted:

Beacons are a permanent marker and they're also portable technology to boot, so if you get sick of one you can just take it back.

Which beacon? The scanner dish thing you get at the beginning, or is there a blueprint you can get later one to build actual beacons? I feel like leaving the scanner dish didn't mark anything. One thing that might work also is putting stuff in a refiner to refine and letting it sit, because it seems like doing that puts the refiner on your compass?

The could also just let you ping any place you've been. The game already saves data for if you looted it or not, so it doesn't make sense to not allow you to see where you have been. But alas...

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

ToastyPotato posted:

Which beacon? The scanner dish thing you get at the beginning, or is there a blueprint you can get later one to build actual beacons? I feel like leaving the scanner dish didn't mark anything. One thing that might work also is putting stuff in a refiner to refine and letting it sit, because it seems like doing that puts the refiner on your compass?

The could also just let you ping any place you've been. The game already saves data for if you looted it or not, so it doesn't make sense to not allow you to see where you have been. But alas...

I'm playing off an old save so I'd completely forgotten that you don't start with the blueprint, but I think you get it from doing the scientist's base building quest; they're different from signal boosters in that they provide a permanent waypoint, though looking back I feel like just putting down a base computer and activating it would work just as well for that purpose.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

3 posted:

I'm playing off an old save so I'd completely forgotten that you don't start with the blueprint, but I think you get it from doing the scientist's base building quest; they're different from signal boosters in that they provide a permanent waypoint, though looking back I feel like just putting down a base computer and activating it would work just as well for that purpose.

Base computers work, but you can't move them once you set them, without deleting the base, I think? Does clicking delete base refund the computer?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

you get a proper beacon as part of the base questline. it also works as a save point, but it's a distinct thing to the thing actually called 'save point'. theyre not too bad to make and they're portable.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

why the hell cant i mouse over planets in the galaxy view to see what kind of planet they are? i get it for undiscovered systems, but I discovered a really cool 'airless' world that was literally greyscale, it was a really neat looking effect. but i can't find it now, and it's really annoying.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I haven't done any base building on NEXT since I'm hoping to find the perfect planet to build before I start doing that quest line. The problem is I have no idea what I want for a "perfect" planet so I just keep on hopping systems doing the Atlas path until it makes sense. At the very least the contant traveling is letting me knock out the exosuit expansions relatively quickly. I'm up to 40/11/4 without going out of my way to unlock more.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I just got this on PC.

The tutorial(?) told me I needed to get some di-hydrogen to make Launch Fuel, but the weird robots slaughtered me.

After enough corpse runs, I made my fuel, but later I picked up some pearls from these pumpkin looking things and all of a sudden huge swarms of flying robots and a robot dog showed up and I fled into space, but then a spaceship appeared and slaughtered me again.

I'm now supposed to build a hyperdrive, but I feel like I only half understand what I'm doing.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Annath posted:

I just got this on PC.

The tutorial(?) told me I needed to get some di-hydrogen to make Launch Fuel, but the weird robots slaughtered me.

After enough corpse runs, I made my fuel, but later I picked up some pearls from these pumpkin looking things and all of a sudden huge swarms of flying robots and a robot dog showed up and I fled into space, but then a spaceship appeared and slaughtered me again.

I'm now supposed to build a hyperdrive, but I feel like I only half understand what I'm doing.

Do not fly to space when you are wanted. This should be in the OP. Just find a place to hide. They basically work like GTA cops. After they lose sight of you they go into search mode for a bit and then reset. The patch definitely made them worse than they were before though.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Oh boi dis bois: Sean Murray received death threaths over butterflies

So, anyone saw butterflies? Coz I ain't :toughguy:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Okay, either I'm an idiot or the implementation of exocraft is beyond loving stupid.

I finally get the blueprints to build a loving car after like 25 hours into the game. So I build the pad and get my rover and do a bunch of quests with the terminal tech to get all the upgrades for it (which, a few bugs aside, was mostly mats I had on hand anyway). But apparently while there's a "summon exocraft" quick menu option, it only works if you're already within a relatively short range of it, and you can't summon it on another planet. So you can only drive the goddamn things in the vicinity of where you built the pad, which is not cheap and is not portable. So in this game where you are required and encouraged to fly all across the galaxy visiting a multitude of different star systems, the ground transport is effectively tied to a small radius around a single point on a single planet? I was kind of assuming/hoping that one of the upgrades you can get is a "summon me anywhere" module, but I seem to have gotten to the end of that chain without getting that.

Am I taking crazy pills here? Are exocraft really almost entirely useless?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
So is it typical for new planets to be death traps right at the start?

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Okay, either I'm an idiot or the implementation of exocraft is beyond loving stupid.

I finally get the blueprints to build a loving car after like 25 hours into the game. So I build the pad and get my rover and do a bunch of quests with the terminal tech to get all the upgrades for it (which, a few bugs aside, was mostly mats I had on hand anyway). But apparently while there's a "summon exocraft" quick menu option, it only works if you're already within a relatively short range of it, and you can't summon it on another planet. So you can only drive the goddamn things in the vicinity of where you built the pad, which is not cheap and is not portable. So in this game where you are required and encouraged to fly all across the galaxy visiting a multitude of different star systems, the ground transport is effectively tied to a small radius around a single point on a single planet? I was kind of assuming/hoping that one of the upgrades you can get is a "summon me anywhere" module, but I seem to have gotten to the end of that chain without getting that.

before NEXT you used them primarily on the planet you built a base on for quick resource gathering and exploring and such

can't imagine it's too different in NEXT

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Game is lovely. Just got started on missions and encountered the "Space Anomaly." Quick question: I've done two of the repeat missions for Polo, but the main storyline mission isn't changing (just says wait a while and go back to him). Is there a set limit of times you need to repeat it to progress?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

If the loving Apollo missions could strap a rover on a real rocket to the real moon, I should be able to strap a loving rover onto my make believe spaceship that has hyperspace capability.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mr Hootington posted:

So is it typical for new planets to be death traps right at the start?

I don't think you ever really spawn in a nice uneventful planet. You'll have to deal with hazards in some way as you get started. I don't think it'll have you start in an extreme gently caress-you planet but it's not meant to be a walk in the part.

My first planet on NEXT was the perfect combination of superheated with no natural formations to hide in so I died immediately. poo poo happens

Wingnut Ninja posted:

They were tied to base building back when base building was "build on one planet and come back to it as you develop your base". Obviously this wasn't changed on NEXT. My ideal scenario would be for exocraft bay to be either a Hauler-class upgrade where you can carry one with you or something wacky like your freighter orbit drops one to you.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 30, 2018

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

shortspecialbus posted:

If the loving Apollo missions could strap a rover on a real rocket to the real moon, I should be able to strap a loving rover onto my make believe spaceship that has hyperspace capability.

Sorry too complex much like the lost technology of the "box" or "map"

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I don't think you ever really spawn in a nice uneventful planet. You'll have to deal with hazards in some way as you get started. I don't think it'll have you start in an extreme gently caress-you planet but it's not meant to be a walk in the part.

My first planet on NEXT was the perfect combination of superheated with no natural formations to hide in so I died immediately. poo poo happens

Mine was toxic as hell and required constant refills of Sodium to stay alive, and it was constantly having worse toxic storms that would drain the environmental gear in about 1 minute flat. I started a new save and ended up somewhere that was only mostly trying to kill me rather than ensuring that I don't progress in the game because 100% of my time is running between sodium deposits and pressing the d-pad a lot to refill the environmental gear. It happens sometimes, I remember something similar the last time I played at launch. Just start a new save if it's that preposterous. Most of the hazardous worlds just require a sodium refill every 5 minutes or something like that and to duck into something during the occasional storm. Some are worse with near-constant storms. Those are not worth the effort as the starter planet.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

froody guy posted:

There actually are butterfly-like things in the game now:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I saw a bunch of living plants, dug into the ground and set up a tunnel so I could evade the stupid sentinels when they come from looting one, and then I come out of the hole and the plants have vanished :confused:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Also I've been trying to hunt for this type of hauler post update and I've yet to see one.

I want this as my hauler again, game!

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Also I've been trying to hunt for this type of hauler post update and I've yet to see one.

I want this as my hauler again, game!

If it helps, they are definitely in it. I saw tons when I was on my exotic hunt. Go sit for 5 minutes at a starport on a planet (not a space station) and if you don't see one in that time, go into another system and do the same. If you do see one, just wait til one shows up with the specs/price that you want and buy it - they'll constantly change every time they show up to the port. There's something like 21 ship models in a system when you enter the system, they won't swap out until you leave the system and come back (or just go into new systems every time unless you have a reason to go back.)

Someone earlier explained the mechanics, it was a good post.

Edit: This one

Bloodplay it again posted:

Every time you enter a system, the list of available ship spawns changes. There are about 21 different ships in each system. The faction in control of the system determines how many of each ship type. Vy'keen systems have more fighters, Korvax have more explorers, and Gek have more haulers. Of those 21 types, one is guaranteed to be an S class exotic ship but its spawn is determined by a timer that starts each time you enter a system. You could enter a system that takes 45 min to get to the exotic or it might be in the first wave that shows up at a space station. You need to be in the right place at the right time, which means you could play hundreds of hours and still not see an exotic ship. All of the others will range from C to S and are rolled every time they spawn. Morblob the Vy'Keen may show up with a C class fighter and not two minutes later, the same ship could show up as A class. The class of ship, number of inventory slots, and number of tech slots are random so the key is to jump from system to system until you find a ship whose appearance you like. When you've found one, go to a trading outpost on a planet and save by hopping out of your ship. Look for the ship you want with the class and number of slots you want and if you don't see it in the first minute or two, reload your save and wait for the next batch to land. An A class fighter might spring up with 19 slots but by reloading and checking the next batch, you might find an A class with 29 slots instead.

This page has more information on ships if you want to check maximum limits on each ship type in regards to slots or type bonuses.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Also photo dump:

Dual ring planet:

Roaming moons of ring planets is cool though

Sentinel walkers are loving HUGE:

Eh, close enough:

My favorite planet. The station was right by the rings so it made for some good visuals

Pretty sure this isn't right:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Do pack upgrades stop appearing in shops after a while? I'm going to new stations and they're all missing the upgrade as if I had bought it already.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Decided to try this after hearing all the positive buzz about it lately having never played it previously and I'm coming up on the 2 hour mark and can't decide whether to refund it or not. On one hand, doing a thing to get materials to get an upgrade that lets you do that thing better is a gameplay loop that I like. On the other hand, the game feels janky and holy poo poo I hate how many of the menu functions require you to hold down a button. And just in general it hasn't really grabbed me - I just finished the 2nd planet (building a base computer, getting some buried tech, analyzing it) and got some mission to go to a space station. But I really thought I'd be able to figure out if I liked it after 2 hours and I'm still unsure, but I also haven't gotten to the "buying upgrades to relieve some of this meter filling pressure" part yet either.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

J posted:

Decided to try this after hearing all the positive buzz about it lately having never played it previously and I'm coming up on the 2 hour mark and can't decide whether to refund it or not. On one hand, doing a thing to get materials to get an upgrade that lets you do that thing better is a gameplay loop that I like. On the other hand, the game feels janky and holy poo poo I hate how many of the menu functions require you to hold down a button. And just in general it hasn't really grabbed me - I just finished the 2nd planet (building a base computer, getting some buried tech, analyzing it) and got some mission to go to a space station. But I really thought I'd be able to figure out if I liked it after 2 hours and I'm still unsure, but I also haven't gotten to the "buying upgrades to relieve some of this meter filling pressure" part yet either.

I'm something like 70 hours in now (46 within a month of launch, rest since NEXT, none in between) and I'm still not entirely sure I like the game. I do but then sometimes I don't and then sometimes it's just too buggy to enjoy.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

explosivo posted:

Do pack upgrades stop appearing in shops after a while? I'm going to new stations and they're all missing the upgrade as if I had bought it already.

(I've encountered a couple times where the hologram for the upgrade station wasn't working, making it look like it was inactive. I could still interact with it and buy upgrade slots, however. )

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Every possible thing being bugged in some way at random is pretty much the only thing killing my interest. I'd probably have played 50% more if it weren't for bugs forcibly stopping me dead in my tracks.

SubNat posted:

(I've encountered a couple times where the hologram for the upgrade station wasn't working, making it look like it was inactive. I could still interact with it and buy upgrade slots, however. )

Same.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Once you unlock the exocraft, you can build a geobay on any planet if you have the mats and summon it there. At least, that's how it worked pre-Next. I'm curious if the geobays count as portable technology now.

Navigation protip for water worlds: Look in the direction you're moving when you enter water (including up and down, look in the exact direction) and then level out. Your speed will be mostly preserved so you can end up cruising underwater much faster than walking and it lasts as long as your oxygen does which is probably way longer than your jetpack.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Is there a way to make freighters un-mad at you if you accidentally shot them while dueling for their honor?

Virulence posted:

Found this gigantic thing in a Gek system.

It cost me a shitton of units but it was worth it. Reminds me of the Homeworld 2 Hiigaran battlecruiser.

Oh poo poo son, welcome to the Star Destroyer club.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i fended off the first freighter and it was some stupid junker so i refused it, but the game treated me like i was supposed to accept and then every freighter i went to after that A: didnt get attacked and B: wouldn't let me use the mission terminal, so i eventually just save editored a few mil credits and bought the first one i came across

those of you who scummed which freighter you got, can you be exact on the steps you took to do it? literally anything else seems to bug it

Waffle House posted:

Is there a way to make freighters un-mad at you if you accidentally shot them while dueling for their honor?

pretty sure the only way to actually piss them off is to fully blow up a cargo pod. i remember shooting one to half health just out of curiosity and they didnt give a poo poo

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Waffle House posted:

Yes, die.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Ugh I just bought a sweet looking Exotic but I have the Freighter Can't Warp bug so I have to go down to a planet to even use it. I want to see it in my freighter showroom :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

froody guy posted:

One of my planets had swarms of these lil guys who would just chase after you and such. They glowed in the dark, was pretty neat.

I've also found flying lizard monkeys.

Gross looking spaghetti monsters (the one in the lower left was considered a different species entirely)

A five year olds drawing of a triceratops.

These horrifying pair.

I also spotted some absolutely awful giant slug dolphins in an ocean, forgot to take a photo as the water insanely radioactive.