Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Unmature posted:

Teen Titans Go to the Movies rules

Explain how!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008

It's good.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

It’s hilarious. Almost every joke lands (one of the jokes in a trailer that I slightly chuckled at is four times as long in the movie and isn’t nearly as funny) and there’s a whole range of humor, from parody to physical to referential. It’s the TV series turned up to eleven, maybe even twelve. There’s some great cameos and shoutouts—“Ooh! That is where the Animaniacs live!” actually caused me to choke on my soda, I was caught completely off guard by that.

It’s not the most ambitious animated film, but they do have fun with the medium. That said, even when they’re using the show’s regular animation style, it’s way, WAY more dynamic and fluid than it ever is on TV (and they actually do really well within the limitations of Flash and their budget on the TV show).

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

lelandjs posted:

It’s hilarious. Almost every joke lands (one of the jokes in a trailer that I slightly chuckled at is four times as long in the movie and isn’t nearly as funny) and there’s a whole range of humor, from parody to physical to referential. It’s the TV series turned up to eleven, maybe even twelve. There’s some great cameos and shoutouts—“Ooh! That is where the Animaniacs live!” actually caused me to choke on my soda, I was caught completely off guard by that.

It’s not the most ambitious animated film, but they do have fun with the medium. That said, even when they’re using the show’s regular animation style, it’s way, WAY more dynamic and fluid than it ever is on TV (and they actually do really well within the limitations of Flash and their budget on the TV show).

I died at the Robin King sequence. Also a majority of the music is going to find its way into my driving playlist.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Macaluso posted:

I prefer rear end in a top hat conniving Daffy :( I was never a fan of the old crazy version

I recall The Looney Tunes Show kinda combines both; a selfish conniving rear end in a top hat with a loose grip on reality. (and apparently Bugs actually has a bit where he realises how everything always goes his way and never Daffy's and feels bad about it. Also, Daffy's girlfriend is clearly attracted to trainwrecks and thinks she can improve him)

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

After watching the Castlevania trailer, I wonder why Vampire Hunter D never actually got a series or even another movie after Bloodlust. Just give me some fights with weirdass mutants in a dope gothic style (although I guess this is also Hellsing).

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

From the Wikipedia page:

quote:

In June 2015, a new CGI animated series tentatively titled Vampire Hunter D: Resurrection was announced, to be produced by Unified Pictures and Digital Frontier.[2] The series will be produced by Kurt Rauer and Scott McLean, and directed by Yoichi Mori, with Bloodlust director Yoshiaki Kawajiri acting as supervising director and series creator Hideyuki Kikuchi providing editorial supervision. The series is currently in pre-production, and is being developed as an hour-long serial drama with the intent of being broadcast on a major American cable network or on-demand provider, with Japanese distribution to follow.[3] As of June 2016 the series is still in pre-production, with plans to begin shopping the project to distributors by the end of the year.[4] Given the abundance of source material, the current plan is to produce as many as seven seasons, without revisiting the source material that was adapted into the first two films.[5]

I guess it's in development but they can't find a distributor? :shrug:

I don't know if I like it being CGI though.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

lelandjs posted:

I loved the bit with Lex Luthor going around forcibly shaving people's heads. And Raven taking a moment to toss a pearl necklace on Batman's mom before shoving her into Crime Alley was hilarious.

It also felt a bit less mean-spirited than the show can sometimes be. A lot of the show's humor derives from Robin being a horrible dick, and it can get cringy. But he's a much more sympathetic figure in the movie.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Selachian posted:

And Raven taking a moment to toss a pearl necklace on Batman's mom before shoving her into Crime Alley was hilarious.

[Edit: nevermind, I was wrong. But yeah, that’s an amazing capper to an already amazing sequence]

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Vandar posted:

From the Wikipedia page:

Those CGI animes universally look like poo poo.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Mechafunkzilla posted:

:agreed:. Some friends were trying to tell me that this one about Sentient Rocks that's Not Steven Universe (LotL) was beautifully done and would change my opinion. Or that the Batman-in-Japan one was also good-looking.

It didn't, and it wasn't.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Vandar posted:

From the Wikipedia page:

Its pretty weird that they aren't adapting the first "film" (its an OVA), Since that is the plot of the first book. Also, the director has only directed a tekken thing before.

Also, it being CGI is a giant red flag. I've yet to see a CG tv show solve the lifeless environment problem.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The Teen Titans Go movie is an even better super hero movie parody than the Deadpool films (and I say this as someone who loved the Deadpool movies) it's funny and fun and just an all around joy to watch. It's easily the best non-Wonderwoman DC movie to come out in a long while and I strongly recommend watching it, even if you've never seen the TV show.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Mechafunkzilla posted:

They do, they look loving terrible.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Vandar posted:

From the Wikipedia page:

Given one of the novel's draws is Anno's art work (I actually read the books until about.. volume 30 or so), and how distinctive the movie's art is - I can't image the style translating well to CGI - granted, Dissidia proved some of Anno's more out there styles can work in 3d models, but how's that gonna look on a TV budget?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bad. The way its going to look is bad.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The Teen Titans Go movie is an even better super hero movie parody than the Deadpool films (and I say this as someone who loved the Deadpool movies) it's funny and fun and just an all around joy to watch. It's easily the best non-Wonderwoman DC movie to come out in a long while and I strongly recommend watching it, even if you've never seen the TV show.

The more I think about it, the more I like the movie. It's just so good and fun and enjoyable.

I really hope they find reasons to do more Nic Cage Superman. I thought he was one of the best parts of the whole thing.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Vandar posted:

I really hope they find reasons to do more Nic Cage Superman. I thought he was one of the best parts of the whole thing.

I'm literally getting ready to go see it because of this comment. Thanks.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i really like the way they stretched their legs in some parts of TTG(TTM). Lots of scenes where they mix up the art styles and get a little weird, which is nice after so many 3D animated movies with very staid character designs.

although I think it's really funny that the worst looking animation in the entire movie is the brief glance at the "original" titans during the credits, which have aged incredibly poorly and look so fuckin ugly

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

I'm sure the movie is good, but let's be real here. That's not saying much.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Better than Lego Batman?

techno allah
Sep 29, 2005

I thought the Teen Titans Go movie sucked. It dragged, i remember only laughing a couple of times, too many boring songs, such a disappointment. I think it was more geared towards kids. I don't like the original, or care about animation in general though, so take that as you will.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

21 Muns posted:

Better than Lego Batman?

Oooooo, I forgot about Lego Batman. I'd say Lego Batman has a better story structure and overall plot, but the Teen Titans Go movie does manage to pack in more jokes and laughs per minute. Lego Batman is probably the better film overall though, yeah.

Also, both movies have Will Arnett in them, maybe he's the secret ingredient to making god DC movies? Did he have anything to do with Wonder Woman? Because if he did he's 3 for 3.

Edit:

Vandar posted:

The more I think about it, the more I like the movie. It's just so good and fun and enjoyable.

Apparently Nicolas Cage loved plying Superman as much as you loved watching him: http://comicbook.com/dc/2018/07/30/nicolas-cage-superman-teen-titans-go-to-the-movies/

:3: what a swell guy

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jul 30, 2018

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So is there stuff after the credits on TTG2tM?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Robindaybird posted:

Given one of the novel's draws is Anno's art work (I actually read the books until about.. volume 30 or so), and how distinctive the movie's art is - I can't image the style translating well to CGI - granted, Dissidia proved some of Anno's more out there styles can work in 3d models, but how's that gonna look on a TV budget?

Amano actually opened up an animation studio in 2010 and made a cgi teaser for a film I don't think happened.

https://youtu.be/dnLu5VSdYAg

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

:agreed:. Some friends were trying to tell me that this one about Sentient Rocks that's Not Steven Universe (LotL) was beautifully done and would change my opinion. Or that the Batman-in-Japan one was also good-looking.

It didn't, and it wasn't.

Yeah people stump for Land of the Lustrous because it's well-written (and queer without being leering about it), but that good will also makes them mistake the "well at least it's not the CGI from Berserk" for "actually good."

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was 100% on board with the Lego Batman movie for, like, the first third or so. And then it turned into Ready Lego One and it didn’t stick the landing for me. It really feels like it started off as a Lego Dimensions movie that got quickly rebranded and rewritten after Dimensions didn’t perform as planned and Lego Batman proved to be a highlight of the Lego Movie.

I’m also not very optimistic about Lego Movie 2, I really dislike the “here’s special Lego for GIRLS!” Lego Friends sets to start off with (Lego are for everyone, drat it), and not only are they apparently the “villains” of the film the overall plot seems to be very, very close to the most recent Smurfs film.

I still really love the Lego Movie, though.

The_Doctor posted:

So is there stuff after the credits on TTG2tM?

Mid-credits only. The screen goes all static and you see fuzzy footage of the original Titans, then the image clears up to show Robin, who says “I think we’ve found a way back!”

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 30, 2018

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Okay, seriously, that’s all fine and good, but does Night Begins to Shine feature prominently in Teen Titans Go! To The Movies?

This is important.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

lelandjs posted:

Mid-credits only. The screen goes all static and you see fuzzy footage of the original Titans, then the image clears up to show Robin, who says “I think we’ve found a way back!”

There is a gag at the end of the credits where the Challengers of the Unknown are floating aimlessly through the background while the leader says, "Challengers! I believe we have missed the motion picture!"

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Phylodox posted:

Okay, seriously, that’s all fine and good, but does Night Begins to Shine feature prominently in Teen Titans Go! To The Movies?

This is important.

Unfortunately, no, but the movie has plenty of awesome new songs.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

lelandjs posted:

I was 100% on board with the Lego Batman movie for, like, the first third or so. And then it turned into Ready Lego One and it didn’t stick the landing for me. It really feels like it started off as a Lego Dimensions movie that got quickly rebranded and rewritten after Dimensions didn’t perform as planned and Lego Batman proved to be a highlight of the Lego Movie.

I’m also not very optimistic about Lego Movie 2, I really dislike the “here’s special Lego for GIRLS!” Lego Friends sets to start off with (Lego are for everyone, drat it), and not only are they apparently the “villains” of the film the overall plot seems to be very, very close to the most recent Smurfs film.

I still really love the Lego Movie, though.

The Friends line is actually pretty rad though, it's got huge models. (and weirdly enough, covers things like boutiques, malls, farms, schools and other everyday places conspicuously absent from other lines like Lego City, which are all infrastructure, transport and public services.) I think the idea is more that a shitload of parents still think buying a girl anything from the blue aisle will turn them gay, hence why they start making pink versions of the boys' toys that are just as complex and high-margin. (see also Nerf)

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Phylodox posted:

This is important.

It doesn't, I'm sorry.

But there are some really good new songs! Observe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH6IBef79HA

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The punchline to that song was so, so good.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Friends line is actually pretty rad though, it's got huge models. (and weirdly enough, covers things like boutiques, malls, farms, schools and other everyday places conspicuously absent from other lines like Lego City, which are all infrastructure, transport and public services.) I think the idea is more that a shitload of parents still think buying a girl anything from the blue aisle will turn them gay, hence why they start making pink versions of the boys' toys that are just as complex and high-margin. (see also Nerf)

I will admit that some of the newer Friends sets are actually pretty neat, really the fact that they thought they needed to redesign the minifigs to make them girl-friendly is kinda :psyduck:

Unmature
May 9, 2008

lelandjs posted:

I will admit that some of the newer Friends sets are actually pretty neat, really the fact that they thought they needed to redesign the minifigs to make them girl-friendly is kinda :psyduck:

I fuckin' hate that. They gotta sex up Legos! I would totally buy a normal Little mermaid Lego set but I don't want no sexy curvy Lego hips in my home. It's unnatural!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Y'all need minifig jesus.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

lelandjs posted:

Little girls told them they wanted minifigures that were more doll-like. They did an absolute ton of research before putting out Friends.

Also, Friends is just the gateway drug.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

So, little girls told them they wanted it this waaaaaaaaaaayyyy 👏👏👏👏

It took me a while to piece together that you all were still talking about Lego sets and not, like, seriously-belated Friends dolls

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
I love playmobil :smith:
Where is my tame German playmobil film

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Neon Noodle posted:

I love playmobil :smith:
Where is my tame German playmobil film

quote:

Di Salvo, a Disney veteran who served as head of animation on “Frozen” and was animation supervisor on “Tangled” and “Bolt,” presented “Playmobil” via a recorded video and said the film will be character-driven, trigger emotions and imagination, while the designs will “embrace the virginity and simplicity of ‘Playmobil.'”

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/details-playmobil-movie-spilled-annecy-200748781.html