Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

im going through the cover arcs and i forgot the time jango wouldn't renounce how hard Korn whips in front of a marine jury

boom na da mmm dum na ema

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
when does bon clay join the straw hats

also lol at ponytail buggy and beard mr. 3

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I just rewatched this arc. Small spoilers: Luffy never once asks him to join his crew but says multiple times that Bon Clay is his best friend, which I don't think he says about anyone else in the series

e: Well he does call a lot of people his friend, but never as much as he keeps saying it to Bon Clay

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 29, 2018

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

anime was right posted:

i didnt know nami posted itt

:ducksiren::slick::ducksiren:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

RealFoxy posted:

I just rewatched this arc. Small spoilers: Luffy never once asks him to join his crew but says multiple times that Bon Clay is his best friend, which I don't think he says about anyone else in the series

e: Well he does call a lot of people his friend, but never as much as he keeps saying it to Bon Clay

wow luffy's a fake trans ally

I forget why exactly Luffy loves Bon Clay so much but hell same

anime was right posted:

i didnt know nami posted itt
you found me out, im nami, so let the SBS begin!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

bon clay...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boRxtr5aOrw

nami don't watch

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
bon clay is cool as hell

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Expect My Mom posted:

wow luffy's a fake trans ally

I forget why exactly Luffy loves Bon Clay so much but hell same

you found me out, im nami, so let the SBS begin!

Who wouldn't?:

anime was right posted:

bon clay is cool as hell

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
that panel of bon clay and sanji kicking each other in their distinct poses is one of my favourite moments in the entire manga

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
luffy thinks a lot of things are cool tho.

I feel like it was their Devil Fruit ability because Luffy absolutely loves impressions, but then it turned into their sincerity and noble heart.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Expect My Mom posted:

luffy thinks a lot of things are cool tho.

I feel like it was their Devil Fruit ability because Luffy absolutely loves impressions, but then it turned into their sincerity and noble heart.

Yepp. He accidentally ended up on their boat before knowing they were enemies and entertained them, making em' quick friends.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Bon Clay has repeatedly thrown his life on the line for the sake of others, whether it be the Straw Hats or Baroque Works.

He's a 100% True Blue Nakama.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

drjuggalo posted:

that panel of bon clay and sanji kicking each other in their distinct poses is one of my favourite moments in the entire manga

also this animation

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
the way oda draws and goofs on trans people and crossdressers still sucks but making the most powerful queer person in the comic a kind and powerful freedom fighter who helps other people transition and is also a radical revolutionary anarchist owns a lot

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Expect My Mom posted:

the way oda draws and goofs on trans people and crossdressers still sucks but making the most powerful queer person in the comic a kind and powerful freedom fighter who helps other people transition and is also a radical revolutionary anarchist owns a lot
He also forced a guy into a woman's body and just left him that way. That was pretty hosed up.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I don't remember what they were sentenced for but they ARE a felon, pobodys nerfect

e: that sentence reads weird, Im using They for "okamas" like Bon Clay or Ivankov

e2: lol they told me what ivankov was arrested for in the very next chapter

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jul 30, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I like Bon Clay's image song. Namely it's lyrics.

Oh Come My Way posted:

In the end, this world is broken down to men and women
But I'm a man who is also a woman
So I'm the best (the strongest)
The best (strongest!)
OH COME MY WAY

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Expect My Mom posted:

oda strikes me as a person with good opinions filtered through a bad society

also we got the best pun of all time out of it:

Kamabakka Kingdom (カマバッカ王国 Kamabakka Ōkoku?, "Kamabakka Queendom" in the Viz Manga)

anime was right fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 30, 2018

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Expect My Mom posted:

Ivankov is actually based off a dude he met while watching Luffy’s VA do theater, and actually does a fantastic job of voicing him in the anime...until he got arrested for posting a NWS picture on his own website, because Japan is cool like that.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Last Celebration posted:

Ivankov is actually based off a dude he met while watching Luffy’s VA do theater, and actually does a fantastic job of voicing him in the anime...until he got arrested for posting a NWS picture on his own website, because Japan is cool like that.

If I recall correctly he was proving he had tattoo's on EVERY part of his body. But yeah arresting someone for posting an indecent image on their own site seems kind of extreme.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Last Celebration posted:

I thought the guy got involved with some illegal stuff. But yeah, it's not the last time Oda's based someone on a RL person. He based Whitebeard on the owner of a bar he used to go to who passed away.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

TheLoneStar posted:

He also forced a guy into a woman's body and just left him that way. That was pretty hosed up.

The anime also had a filler scene where Ivankov turned a guard into a woman and he was so happy he helped them navigate the jail.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYayTA8ieHY&t=40s

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

This is the funniest panel I've ever seen in a comic in my life.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I'm going to assume this video is about Bon Clay or Franky because I cannot watch more than three seconds of this

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

That's a shame, he goes really in-depth about the fight between Luffy and Katakuri and why he feels Katakuri is such a strong character.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I'm going to assume this video is about Bon Clay or Franky because I cannot watch more than three seconds of this
I watched more of it than I should because One Piece is neat and it's fun to relive through other people's reactions, even if they're pretty cringy.

I regret it. The guy's insufferable and unironically called Katakuri a "Chad" shortly after a digression where he pastes Flampe's face on a video of a woman being beaten.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Terper posted:

That's a shame, he goes really in-depth about the fight between Luffy and Katakuri and why he feels Katakuri is such a strong character.
Katakuri is super cool, if it gets better after that god awful intro maybe I'll-

Eiba posted:

I watched more of it than I should because One Piece is neat and it's fun to relive through other people's reactions, even if they're pretty cringy.

I regret it. The guy's insufferable and unironically called Katakuri a "Chad" shortly after a digression where he pastes Flampe's face on a video of a woman being beaten.
Nope, thanks for the recon work Captain Eiba, I'm gonna stick to my guns. I like enthusiasm and people liking things plenty, but I'll go ahead and continue giving that one a hard pass.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

hakimogged

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Why is Sanji an incel

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yeah, in hindsight thinking back on it he's pretty bad at parts. I kept going through and ultimately found his points interesting and he made Katakuri and their fight more interesting than I had thought when I sped through the fight myself, but I did repress/zoned out when he was bad. I apologize.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin
Watched it. Some presentation issues as people pointed out but he makes a decent point. I'm not intricately familiar with all of One Piece's characters at the level presented in the video, but he basically points out that Katakuri is a pretty human dude that had a traumatic childhood moment that changed him. Which is like, all of One Piece's characters. I think the author must relate to the issues he feels Katakuri addresses (social anxiety), which means he likes him best. Fandom.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

https://twitter.com/SteveYurko/status/1023730150788091904

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lmao

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
The doffy crabwalk

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

You're all jealous of Doflamingo's immense swagger, don't try and deny it.

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan
Oops nvm

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Terper posted:

Yeah, in hindsight thinking back on it he's pretty bad at parts. I kept going through and ultimately found his points interesting and he made Katakuri and their fight more interesting than I had thought when I sped through the fight myself, but I did repress/zoned out when he was bad. I apologize.
In fairness, Katakuri is really cool and the guy does point out why that is, and that's cool.

One of my favorite bits in the Katakuri fight is near the end where Luffy's on his back throwing a little tantrum about being hungry and Katakuri asks him how the gently caress he can be so undignified and you know that on some level it's because Katakuri wishes he could get away with being so undignified. I loved Katakuri as a mirror-Luffy who learned from Luffy and presumably became a better person himself rather than being some cautionary tale for Luffy.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

That little bit with Katakuri and Brûlée after the fight was one of the best parts in the whole arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:
Was there ever any details given for why bon clay was working for baroque works in the first place. he seems like a pretty good person but had to be aware that baroque works were bad dudes