Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Verviticus posted:

pretty sure the only way to actually piss them off is to fully blow up a cargo pod. i remember shooting one to half health just out of curiosity and they didnt give a poo poo

Unfortunately the cargo pods will often be at a sliver of health so a single stray shot can blow one up. Just be careful is your best bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

this lil guy just hops around on his tail and its adorable

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

juggalo baby coffin posted:

this lil guy just hops around on his tail and its adorable

I've had a bunch of animals look like that. I feel like there is not as much variety in creatures as I remember. It seems like there are generally two types of flying creature, for example. These weird long things that look like they belong in the ocean, and then kind of bat looking things. For ground stuff, I keep getting those worm things. I had one planet with these pineapple creatures, but there was more than one and they were nearly identical. I've also had these weird beetle crab things on more than one planet, but one of them was gigantic. I need to go back now that I actually messed around with photo mode and start taking pictures.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I found a planet with giant flying squid monsters :gonk:

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

i bought a s-rank boltcaster upgrade which gave me a considerable buff to killing robot hall monitors but it also added a ricochet effect and now i can't seem to break into buildings with reinforced doors

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
They REALLY need to fix the fact that there is currently no way to escape Sentinels if you're in the middle of space. It won't even let you dock on your freighter.

It's also kind of dumb that pirates will always attack you and not the 10 Frigates you've got shooting at them..

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Phobeste posted:

this god damned game crashes every god damned hour

I’ve had zero crashes on Xbox One X, but I’m thinking it may be that a lot less people are playing the Xbox version.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So just found out that the freighter questline is a little more involved. After you get your freighter you need to talk to the navigator who should give you a quest to build the command center. Apparently you also need to go inspect the frigate to start a secondary quest to inspect it and learn the recipe for fuel.

This only works or triggers on the system you took possession of your freighter. So if you missed it and don’t remember there’s apparently no way at all to learn that stupid recipe.

So yeah, that’s a fun thing to learn now.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

precision posted:

Ugh I just bought a sweet looking Exotic but I have the Freighter Can't Warp bug so I have to go down to a planet to even use it. I want to see it in my freighter showroom :mad:

this is fixed in the experimental branch

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So just found out that the freighter questline is a little more involved. After you get your freighter you need to talk to the navigator who should give you a quest to build the command center. Apparently you also need to go inspect the frigate to start a secondary quest to inspect it and learn the recipe for fuel.

This only works or triggers on the system you took possession of your freighter. So if you missed it and don’t remember there’s apparently no way at all to learn that stupid recipe.

I couldn't speak to any of the npcs on the bridge except the captain, and I didn't have any other quests in my log. The captain still had the icon over his head.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

hahaha gently caress. am i boned if i didn't get the free one? jesus

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

why the hell cant i mouse over planets in the galaxy view to see what kind of planet they are? i get it for undiscovered systems, but I discovered a really cool 'airless' world that was literally greyscale, it was a really neat looking effect. but i can't find it now, and it's really annoying.

Don’t think anyone answered this so here -

You’re looking In the wrong place. Look in the Discoveries section of the menu, you can see all the stars and planets you’ve visited on the left. You can see all their attributes and poo poo right there when you click them, and can set a waypoint on the galactic map to a specific one when you find it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

And speaking of discoveries, "uploading" all just uploads planets/system data for nanites. You still need to go to each planet on the list then manually upload flora and fauna for each each.

It's incredibly loving dumb but if you haven't bothered with it you have a TON of nanites sitting there.

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
how do i progress this stupid purge quest. Nada and polo keep hailing me and warping to my location and when i talk to them polo is like "yeah not ready yet"

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It's incredibly loving dumb

NMS UI in a nutshell

I'm still laughing at the apparent 'can't transfer from freighter, can transfer from freighter to base storage', hosed up if true

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I hope that with next out of the way, Sean and crew focuses on unfucking the UI.

Or I guess I can wait for mods to save the UI from itself.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
Make sure if you get a ship that gets an increase in maneuverability that you don't decrease it.

Because that is the good stuff for dogfights.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

And speaking of discoveries, "uploading" all just uploads planets/system data for nanites. You still need to go to each planet on the list then manually upload flora and fauna for each each.

It's incredibly loving dumb but if you haven't bothered with it you have a TON of nanites sitting there.

It's even better. If you hover over the animal/flora/waypoint buttons, you actually can upload everything in that category by pressing E while the buttons are selected. They went out of their way to add a subfunction to already pressed buttons because the people who made this game are not from Earth and have never played a video game in their lives.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

If you mean the fuel to send Frigates out on missions. I some how learned they automatically, I also had no idea one could land on a Frigate and so it should be dead, but there is nothing to repair by just how badly some of the mission debriefs go :shrug:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

AirRaid posted:

Don’t think anyone answered this so here -

You’re looking In the wrong place. Look in the Discoveries section of the menu, you can see all the stars and planets you’ve visited on the left. You can see all their attributes and poo poo right there when you click them, and can set a waypoint on the galactic map to a specific one when you find it.

oh dang, thanks!

does anyone know where i can find some predatory animals to shoot? for most quests ive had the zerg guys who dont like you to touch their eggs count as whatever you need to kill, but now I need to kill specifically predators and the zerg aren't counting. I don't think i've ever been attacked by an animal in this game so far.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

oh dang, thanks!

does anyone know where i can find some predatory animals to shoot? for most quests ive had the zerg guys who dont like you to touch their eggs count as whatever you need to kill, but now I need to kill specifically predators and the zerg aren't counting. I don't think i've ever been attacked by an animal in this game so far.

It's random. Just gotta scan animals and hope you find a predator. Seems like bigger animals have a better chance of being predatory, at least for me.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Figured out my 'freighter won't let me in' bug: warped everything to a new system and it was okay again. Thank god.

And I'll keep asking till I get an answer: how do you unearth underground rare stuff without destroying it with your terrain manipulator?

Also, my discoveries tab almost always says I am unable to connect to the online discoveries service thingie. Does this effect anything?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

How do I make the air filtration unit?
There are no blueprints for the component and I cannot buy it on the market.

How in the gently caress do you make money?!
Any ship worth buying is 3 million goddamn creds and that's for a little B-Class nothingmobile.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Really? I just slaughtered any animal I could find and it counted

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Inzombiac posted:

How in the gently caress do you make money?!
Any ship worth buying is 3 million goddamn creds and that's for a little B-Class nothingmobile.

Scan and upload stuff. Then get a scanner upgrade and scan and upload stuff for tens of thousands of credits a pop.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

victrix posted:

NMS UI in a nutshell

I'm still laughing at the apparent 'can't transfer from freighter, can transfer from freighter to base storage', hosed up if true

I should clarify that this was on a planetside base with a storage unit; you can transfer stuff directly from your freighter if you're in the freighter, but on the ground you have to go freighter -> storage -> exosuit.

I just shoot the scariest looking animals I can find and it seems to work.

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

And I'll keep asking till I get an answer: how do you unearth underground rare stuff without destroying it with your terrain manipulator?

For underground artifacts, you have to either find the nearby entrance to the cave that they're in, or tunnel down in the vicinity but not directly into the artifacts and walk over. That's the only type of item I've found that can get destroyed, the tech modules and the keys you find in buried ruins are indestructible.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

Also, my discoveries tab almost always says I am unable to connect to the online discoveries service thingie. Does this effect anything?

No. Upload and get paid. The connection status is meaningless.

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice

precision posted:

They REALLY need to fix the fact that there is currently no way to escape Sentinels if you're in the middle of space. It won't even let you dock on your freighter.

It's also kind of dumb that pirates will always attack you and not the 10 Frigates you've got shooting at them..

I encountered this one last night and also had the game crash twice on me when landing on a planet. Think I'll put this down again for a couple weeks and see where things are at.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

So, is there any way around that 'Technology Overload' hard cap that happens when you try to put in more than a couple modules for stuff like mining?

I'm guessing the only way to increase mining speed much is to get a high class pistol or something, but I still haven't encountered a single pistol that's more than 7-9 slots, and B class. While rifles with 15-20+ slots seem almost commonplace.

Also it is bewildering that they have a bonus system based on module adjacency, but nowhere in the ui that even mentions what kind of a bonus you get.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
new bug, unless it's just a dumb thing and someone can help me fix it:

i bought a new freighter, but it replaced the ship i traveled in on with the broken ship i left on a planet's surface. it won't let me summon my nice, working ship onto the freighter and i don't have the raw materials to repair the broken ship

am i hosed. do i just live on this freighter now

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Space Skeleton posted:

Scan and upload stuff. Then get a scanner upgrade and scan and upload stuff for tens of thousands of credits a pop.

Oh, I thought it was only a scan speed upgrade.

How do I get technology modules? That's my big hurdle right now and I've yet to encounter a single one (aside from paying a fortune on the market)

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Legs Benedict posted:

i bought a new freighter, but it replaced the ship i traveled in on with the broken ship i left on a planet's surface. it won't let me summon my nice, working ship onto the freighter and i don't have the raw materials to repair the broken ship

Save and reload, that should spawn your working ship. If it doesn't, warp your freighter.

If that also doesn't work, or you have the bug that prevents it, hop in and out of the broken ship to make sure that it's your selected one, then wait for a trader to show up and swap your busted one for his working ship.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Inzombiac posted:

How do I get technology modules? That's my big hurdle right now and I've yet to encounter a single one (aside from paying a fortune on the market)

Honestly I just buy them because I don't have a blue print for them and I don't know of any solid way to get them. 60k a pop hurts at first, but you do enough ancient ruins and crashed freighters and you will have millions in no time. Money also rolls in once you can start grabbing quests from the mission NPCs in stations.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

Legs Benedict posted:

I'm sure you've already tried it but when my ships don't show up usually a restart/reload of the save will fix that. They are usually lined up along the left landing pads when you leave the main part of the freighter.

After the multiple base building/freighter/sentinel/logs bugs, I've decided that I may as well wait for this to actually be ready before really playing it. I feel like the base stuff could have been avoided by getting rid of the stupid timer for archives being unlocked. Either that or don't give people their free freighter before you finish the base tutorial. I'll just play Yakuza in 2 days instead and then if I remember to come back to NMS I may.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So in this thing, the control tool tips all show a white box. How do I fix that so I can see what buttons I should press without guessing?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
They need to go back to the loving drawing board with the sentinels. I should not be being punished for loving mining rocks. Have them protect really valuable things, otherwise they shouldn't exist.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

If you've got some nanites to spare, I'm pretty sure you can just buy any cheap technology upgrade from a space station and dismantle it to get spare technology modules.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Inzombiac posted:

On planets, when you look with your visor, you'll see a bunch of icons. One of them is Buried Technology (it kinda looks like an arrow pointing down). You walk up to it, use your terrain manipulator to dig and then you can loot a chest. You get other stuff too but sometimes you get a technology module.

Unlike that other artifact thing that will vanish when you try to dig them up (I gave up on them), these buried technologies don't so it's safe to just point the terrain manipulator directly at it in the ground.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

So what's really annoying me is all the marked locations that don't clear once I've discovered them and done whatever little thing there was to do there. I've got an abandoned building and a portal glyph grave that are on my radar in my home base system at all times. I've gone back to them, checked them, can't interact with them anymore, but apparently the game wants me to remember the good times or something. Don't suppose there some manual way of forcing them to clear? Also speaking of my home system, I have a phantom quest or something. At one point I was flying around the planet I built my main base on, and I got a message saying I detected a holo-emitter or something along those lines. On the galaxy map, my home system is marked with the red crescent icon that indicates a main story mission, but I can't actually see it anywhere when I'm flying around the system. Also none of my quests in the log seem to have anything to do with it. Anyone know what that's about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Toast King posted:

If you've got some nanites to spare, I'm pretty sure you can just buy any cheap technology upgrade from a space station and dismantle it to get spare technology modules.

This also applies to random lovely upgrade modules you get as quest rewards - don't just sell them for the pittance that they go for, install them and immediately uninstall them to break them down into a tech module plus a pile of useful materials. Like you can have a C-class module that sells for 600 spacebucks, but break it down and suddenly the components are worth tens of thousands.