Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

TwingeCrag posted:

But..... what if I have this?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lol

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
Also, in terms of guns with Riven dispositions that are out of whack:

Tiberon Prime
Sicarus Pime
Pyrana Prime

However, these weapons are pretty meta and I would assume lots of people use them. If they re-evaluate dispositions in the future, expect them to get lowered a bit.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

SomeKindofVerb posted:

What are people's favourite entirely unmeta guns? I've sort of got myself to a point now where I've got catalysts and formas in most of the obviously decent stuff, (Ingis, Tigris Prime, Amprex, Atomos, etc, etc, et al, ad infinitum), so now that I'm taken care of for most high level content, I kind of want bad fun guns and melee.

Tell me your stories of your suboptimal masterpieces.

I absolutely adore the Hystrix, and I love it's gimmick. I just hate how much ammo it has in a mag. Managed to fart my way to getting a riven for it that had +mag size and it feels so much better to use.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

How do I find cephalon fragments to get past mars?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Dahbadu posted:

Also, in terms of guns with Riven dispositions that are out of whack:

what does Riven disposition do anyways?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Do Hellas or Ara and explore the map. Equip animal instinct on your companion if you have it, and equip thief's wit. That way they'll show up on the map, then scan them. One will show up per mission.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Are they in containers or just sitting out?

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Arglebargle III posted:

Glowing blue things sitting out in the open.

They show up on the radar as a blue icon.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Galaga Galaxian posted:

what does Riven disposition do anyways?

Riven disposition affects how powerful the riven will be and it was originally based off weapon popularity stats. The idea being that Meta weapons will have the lowest disposition and weakest rolls. Garbage guns on the other hand can get obscene stats, hopefully balancing out their poor usage. This never really worked that great and DE's big balance patch was a much better solution.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Avulsion posted:

Glowing blue things sitting out in the open.

They show up on the radar as a blue icon.

Do they? Because I went up and down helles twice and all I got was a feeling that this game has no respect for me.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Arglebargle III posted:

Do they? Because I went up and down helles twice and all I got was a feeling that this game has no respect for me.

I'd say the vast majority of the time they're just on the path of travel to the end of mission, but sometimes they can be squirreled off in corner. Just make sure animal instinct is equipped, and if you have any syndicate missions there, you can chill out and explore looking for marks at the same time.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

I just hit Mastery Rank 3, and thus Syndicates. When's a good time to start engaging with them? Should I start checking them out now, or is it better to wait until I've got more systems and poo poo unlocked?

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Arglebargle III posted:

Have you asked goons for mods yet? If not, ask goons for mods. There's a Radar aura, there's a radar mod, there's a radar mod for your pet. Radar mods stack.

Sidenote: You'll need credits to cover the trading fee for mods.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

dmboogie posted:

I just hit Mastery Rank 3, and thus Syndicates. When's a good time to start engaging with them? Should I start checking them out now, or is it better to wait until I've got more systems and poo poo unlocked?

As soon as possible. If you equip one of their sigils, then a matching portion of the xp you get also earns rep with that group. On top of the syndicate missions. The higher-end sigils give you a bonus to rep gain.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

You'll also want to run 3 syndicates at time - either Arbiters of Hexis + Cephalon Suda + Steel Meridian, or New Loka + Perrin Sequence + Red Veil. Because of the way ally bonuses and enemy penalties work, Arbiters will net you Suda rep and vice versa, but take away rep for Red Veil and Perrin Sequence. The previous combinations are the only ones where you won't be fighting enemy penalties. Red Veil + Steel Meridian is technically possible, but you won't be able to include anyone else without canceling rep gains.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Xun posted:

I picked up the vakyor hek

I feel like I’m betraying my 4 forma hek :negative:

Hek was the first weapon I ever used a forma on. It's so satisfying to use even though I know I'm probably going to switch it up for something else when I get to late game.

Also, it took me over 100 hours of play time before the game dropped a toxin mod for shotguns for me. Is that normal or do I just have poo poo luck?

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
Pretty normal - the only guaranteed place that'll drop is in the Void, from Corrupted Vor (he drops 1 of the 4 tox/status mods upon death).

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

BeAuMaN posted:

Have you asked goons for mods yet? If not, ask goons for mods. There's a Radar aura, there's a radar mod, there's a radar mod for your pet. Radar mods stack.

Sidenote: You'll need credits to cover the trading fee for mods.

Don't know how to do this.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

BeAuMaN posted:

As soon as possible. If you equip one of their sigils, then a matching portion of the xp you get also earns rep with that group. On top of the syndicate missions. The higher-end sigils give you a bonus to rep gain.

Stickman posted:

You'll also want to run 3 syndicates at time - either Arbiters of Hexis + Cephalon Suda + Steel Meridian, or New Loka + Perrin Sequence + Red Veil. Because of the way ally bonuses and enemy penalties work, Arbiters will net you Suda rep and vice versa, but take away rep for Red Veil and Perrin Sequence. The previous combinations are the only ones where you won't be fighting enemy penalties. Red Veil + Steel Meridian is technically possible, but you won't be able to include anyone else without canceling rep gains.

noted, ty!

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

A big thank you to cool goons SterlingSA, Biotact, and Funkyfjord, for being chill taking a completely unprepared fresh noob on a dolon hunt. Despite my pointless flailing around and complete unhelpfulness and dying part way through they were nice and helped me get as far as I did. Keep on being cool :keke:

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Arglebargle III posted:

Are you in the clan yet? Clan as fast as possible. Sign up is on the first post. You'll need to build a clan key.
https://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Clan_Key

Takes 24 hours for clan key iirc. Once you've done that, ask in clan chat for mods. Mention you just started, whatever. If you drop your in-game name here maybe someone will hit you up with a trade offer in-game for some mods.

Edit: As for radar Mods:
Personal Version: https://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Thief%27s_Wit
Aura: https://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Loot_Detector
Pet version (that also detects enemies): https://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Animal_Instinct

All of those stack. The more you stack, the further away you can detect things on your radar. With enough stacking you'll detect things like another level down or something (hence you'll see up or down arrows on the blips), so keep that in mind if you stack all the way.
Edit3: This is what it looks like when they all stack (I pressed M to move the map to my right and make it slightly larger):

Note that I'm detecting stuff way far outside of the viewable map right now, and that the arrows indicating if a specific loot item is higher or lower than my position. Fragments will show up as blue icons on the radar and the music fragments show up as purple. I want to say also syndicate medallions have a radar icon now but I can't remember. Build wise, you shouldn't always have all that equipped, but you should always have Animal Instinct on a pet/sentinel.
Edit4: Here's the fragment

Edit2: Also will mention the wikia is probably 90% accurate; it's more or less the primary wiki for the game. So it's useful if you need to look things up. Also talks about mechanics. Sometimes it's wrong on certain unusual and specific things, but for the most part it's correct.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jul 30, 2018

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Night10194 posted:

The only thing in this game that is genuinely bad is the Hind. The Hind is terrible. Do not make my mistake and try to make the Hind good.

I say this as someone who brings the Grinlok as a favored rifle to sorties.

I made the Mk1-Braton into a force to be reckoned with, that can solo sorties.

With seven forma and Hunter Munitions.

And a riven with +118% Slash, +139% Critical Chance, +113% Critical Damage and -35% Damage to Corpus

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I derped and picked Mag as my first warframe, even though apparently it's the easiest to get through normal play. When the heck am I going to get to try another frame? I'm Mastery 2 and I've tried out all the weapons I can, but I haven't collected the parts for the parts for other frames yet, and I wish I could have had an opportunity to explore different playstyles a little more.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Kesper North posted:

I derped and picked Mag as my first warframe, even though apparently it's the easiest to get through normal play. When the heck am I going to get to try another frame? I'm Mastery 2 and I've tried out all the weapons I can, but I haven't collected the parts for the parts for other frames yet, and I wish I could have had an opportunity to explore different playstyles a little more.

planet bosses (the assassinate missions) drop parts for frames. so farm those bosses a few times to get the parts for the frame they drop. each planet boss gives a different frame. Farming Jackal on Venus will give you Rhino, a great frame, and is suggested as the first frame for a lot of reasons. Mars' boss drops Excalibur, a good and fun frame that involves using a sword you summon out of thin air to chop everything in half. etc, etc. If you get a taxi to or otherwise do the Phorid invasions, killing that (extremely easy to pub if a group isn't available) will get you Nyx. The clan dojo has frames you can buy blueprints for. Some quests also give frames.

there are a lot of choices out there, so set your mind to it and soon you'll be drowning in frames.

e: also mag can be pretty cool, so it's not like you made a bad choice. someone else should probably explain the best way for a new player to build mag since I came at it pretty late so I don't know :v:

Psion fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 30, 2018

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
my 7 forma ogris is a sweet, beautiful child. sadly, most of those forma predate the crit/status meta so it's plain damage with a riven. but it is still enough plain damage to one shot through most iron skins, and that's enough for sorties without elemental resist.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Let me tell you about niche/gimmick guns with good rivens...

I love the Kraken dearly but it's so bad, DE pls. Wraith version when?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Kesper North posted:

fortunately all three of the starter frames are pretty easy to get with volt coming from the clan dojo and excal dropping from mercury (??) or wherever

mag can be built for a lot of different angles but starting out you'd probably just want to focus on maxing out your health/shields and getting non-damaged mods from goons

range is generally a good place to start cause her 2 will vaporize anything caught in it and the bigger the bubble the more stuff you can catch in it

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Mag's 2 is a choke point that kills the gently caress out of most everything.

Starting off, as far as power stats are concerned, you probably want to get a Flow and Streamline just so Mag can more easily act as a caster. Being able to pop up two magnetize bubbles, having energy for a few pulls, or always being able to pop polarize is handy early on. Ask someone in the clan for Counter Pulse, this turns Polarize into a very very good CC skill against everything but melee units, so a few Grineer and most all Infested.

After that a large part of the fun in playing Mag, at least for me, comes with what crazy poo poo you can combo with her 2. Torid, Pox, Staticor, Plasmor, Lanka, Detrons, Mag can make a ton of different weapons hilarious beasts.

Ragtime All The Time posted:

A big thank you to cool goons SterlingSA, Biotact, and Funkyfjord, for being chill taking a completely unprepared fresh noob on a dolon hunt. Despite my pointless flailing around and complete unhelpfulness and dying part way through they were nice and helped me get as far as I did. Keep on being cool :keke:

Aww, I'm all down for chilldolon groups. Those things are a hectic confusing mess if you're going in blind, or even with just little to no experience.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Arglebargle III posted:

As someone who recently did this, do the capture mission on Mars (top leftis, called ara I think). It always seemed to spawn behind the entrance. Check all side rooms and equip your frame with thief's wit or the animal instinct mod on taxon Sentinel. You'll see a big blue indicator on your map when you get close. It will spawn a single cephelon fragments every single mission so just take your time to look around.

TipsyMcStagger fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jul 30, 2018

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Berke Negri posted:

fortunately all three of the starter frames are pretty easy to get with volt coming from the clan dojo and excal dropping from mercury (??) or wherever

mag can be built for a lot of different angles but starting out you'd probably just want to focus on maxing out your health/shields and getting non-damaged mods from goons

range is generally a good place to start cause her 2 will vaporize anything caught in it and the bigger the bubble the more stuff you can catch in it

excal takes quite a while to get and is a pain in the rear end to farm actually

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Is it too late to submit logos for Akgoon? (View against a dark background.)

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jul 30, 2018

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nice but basically unreadable at the size that clan glyphs are displayed at though.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

S.J. posted:

excal takes quite a while to get and is a pain in the rear end to farm actually

i looked it up and its mars / kril which isn't the worst

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Kesper North posted:

I can trade you blueprints for all the parts for Excalibur; I'll pm you ingame tomorrow if you're around

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
excal used to be pluto, but they switched it with trinity.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

I can trade you blueprints for all the parts for Excalibur; I'll pm you ingame tomorrow if you're around

only prime frame parts are tradeable, and excal prime isn't obtainable any more.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

excal used to be pluto, but they switched it with trinity.

poo poo my bad, thought it was still pluto

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

only prime frame parts are tradeable, and excal prime isn't obtainable any more.

god drat it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Exaclibur prime was a early backer reward, it was never available via relics.
Its kind of poo poo honestly, the Umbra is actually slightly better.