Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I know it feels like forever but they've only been in since early this year

Of course the Adelaide Advertiser says in those few months jobs have skyrocketed and people are so much happier somehow!

If she's running for Federal politics than I'm talking 'in power' for Federal politics. If she thought state policies were the issue then she should be running for the state parliament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

bigis posted:

I’ve never even watched her on the telly, just in some meme YouTube news anchor fight video.

How old are you

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Anidav posted:

I wonder where Newspoll is picking up the narrowing from. Worst state and Apex Headquarters; Victoria perhaps?

The media sure is giving Dan Andrews about as much of a hard time as Bill, probably why they keep trying this Kill Bill strategy because Demolish Dan is working for them somewhat?

Uh no it certainly isn't working. Vic Libs are still a basket case, albeit a noisy one, and Fed Libs are going to be far more focused on the dangers of Queensland from now until the election, so any big help the Vic Libs were expecting just vanished along with the by-election seats.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I never watch the news on the telly anymore, but Lee Lin and Anton were definitely my jam 15 years ago when I still did.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I dunno those Victorian elections odds have been narrowing very fast on betting websites and I only ever hear "bad things" just like you only hear "bad things" about Shorten.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

Anidav posted:

I dunno those Victorian elections odds have been narrowing very fast on betting websites and I only ever hear "bad things" just like you only hear "bad things" about Shorten.

You live two states away

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

starkebn posted:

I never watch the news on the telly anymore, but Lee Lin and Anton were definitely my jam 15 years ago when I still did.

Mary Kostakidis and George Donikian were definitely my SBS News jam.

Anidav posted:

If Dandrews some how loses, I am blaming you personally Anidav.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

$42,666 is a lot of grant money for drinking milk and vomiting it back up.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

it has become clear to me that people don't understand the concept of niches and what exactly fauna do for the environment besides eating bits of it and looking cute. one species of animal going extinct is actually a big deal because it has a trickle-down effect on dozens of other species (both fauna and flora) that rely on that animal for pollination, dispersal, and natural population control. this lack of understanding is nobody's fault, there's genuinely no educational material about it out there unless you fork out thousands to go to uni. so one of my big projects at the moment is to figure out how to explain these concepts to the public, with helpful diagrams and lots of cute pictures, and brightly coloured graphs for the corporate types

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
:agreed:, good luck and godspeed

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Konomex posted:

If she's running for Federal politics than I'm talking 'in power' for Federal politics. If she thought state policies were the issue then she should be running for the state parliament.

Ah, fair enough. She definitely would've been making GBS threads on the state government though, all the numbers are bad when the other team are in power at state or fed level, but if they're both libs then don't worry, the numbers are now good!

cogito ergo incommo
Apr 2, 2010
Does the preferred Prime Minster count for anything? You always hear commentators and politicians talk like it is, but it really seems somewhat meaningless to me.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

The Peccadillo posted:

I'm the blue hemisphere, and also a retatrded person
Not picking on you specifically. Can AusPol stop using 'retarded' as a perjorative? At the very least it is inaccurate. LNP = Morally bankrupt. This is not the same as intellectually handicapped. It is a much worse malaise. These people have the ability to know better yet choose to gently caress over their fellow citizens. I think we have already established; Piece of poo poo, bozo, buffoon, clown, arsehole and many others that are non gender specific, differently abled offencive and LGBTI friendly. It's not really much to ask.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

cogito ergo incommo posted:

Does the preferred Prime Minster count for anything? You always hear commentators and politicians talk like it is, but it really seems somewhat meaningless to me.

Bonham has an old article that arguees that preferred PM is kinda useless but that individual approval ratings aren't.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

clown is definitely my favourite auspol insult

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

avshalemon posted:

clown is definitely my favourite auspol insult

Mate.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Bring back drongo imo.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Parliament house looks really different in the guts and lower corridors. And they have street signs.
A little cart towing bins drives along Pitt St. It's like that evil lair in Austin Powers.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Whitlam posted:

Bring back drongo imo.

:hfive:

"Ya bloody drongo" is the quintessential Aussie insult

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Anidav posted:

I found this remark amusing, I hope that was intentional. But yes, Poll Bludger finds nothing much that's new or exciting, and we've yet to see another Newspoll since April (why the wait, we wonder?), and the more interesting question is, what is One Nation going to do with its preferences here? What stinky deals are being made right now, kept from the electorate in great fear of actual informed voting?

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Cartoon posted:

Not picking on you specifically. Can AusPol stop using 'retarded' as a perjorative? At the very least it is inaccurate. LNP = Morally bankrupt. This is not the same as intellectually handicapped. It is a much worse malaise. These people have the ability to know better yet choose to gently caress over their fellow citizens. I think we have already established; Piece of poo poo, bozo, buffoon, clown, arsehole and many others that are non gender specific, differently abled offencive and LGBTI friendly. It's not really much to ask.

If a "fistula is an abnormal connection between two hollow spaces" then Tony Abbott has neurofistulitis.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Anidav posted:

This is just another case of the Liberal strategists and their darlings in the press gallery drinking its own Koolaid. Let them. Let them think they have a chance in Victoria, that they're doing well. Let them throw money at an unwinnable election.

The important thing is to be mindful that Bill Shorten isn't doing all that poorly, and there is no way he's less popular than Malcolm Turnbull under fair conditions.

Yeah, he's guilty of being a bit of a faceless piece of party machinery, flip flopping and caving to various factions; but I'd rather that than a one-eyed ideologue, or a shameless narcissist willing to compromise everything to look good to the electorate, which I really don't think you can accuse him of.

Would I rather Plibersek? In a second. But he's not guilty of anything you couldn't reasonably accuse Di Natale of; He faces a pretty tough double standard in the media and in this thread, but I think if he was given a fair trial, he'd come out ahead of Rudd and Keating, let alone Turnbull.

I dunno, may be a bit of a hot take but it's worth thinking about.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
What's happened to Di Natale? I don't think I've seen him make a statement on anything for weeks.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Measly Twerp posted:

If a "fistula is an abnormal connection between two hollow spaces" then Tony Abbott has neurofistulitis.

It's only abnormal in non-conservatives.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

V for Vegas posted:

What's happened to Di Natale? I don't think I've seen him make a statement on anything for weeks.

He's probably called 12 different press conferences that no journalists who don't work for Buzzfeed have shown up for.

Possibly had a few nice chats with Alice Workman.

IDK.

Edit: I think he's been in Freo and Perth recently helping with the campaign over here.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Don Dongington posted:

He's probably called 12 different press conferences that no journalists who don't work for Buzzfeed have shown up for.

Possibly had a few nice chats with Alice Workman.

IDK.

Edit: I think he's been in Freo and Perth recently helping with the campaign over here.

Yeah, he was. Didn't speak to him when at the volunteers thing on Wednesday, but I had a good chat with Jordon Steele-John about my experience doorknocking and people who vote Mainstream Party 1, Greens 2.

I'm sure there's stuff on the Facebook/insta pages for the WA greens if you want to see what he had to say.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

ewe2 posted:

I found this remark amusing, I hope that was intentional. But yes, Poll Bludger finds nothing much that's new or exciting, and we've yet to see another Newspoll since April (why the wait, we wonder?), and the more interesting question is, what is One Nation going to do with its preferences here? What stinky deals are being made right now, kept from the electorate in great fear of actual informed voting?

Newspoll also does internal polling for the parties on occasion so the odds narrowing could be LNP insider trading? :agesilaus:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

cogito ergo incommo posted:

They only talk about it as a means to create a false balance. LNP have lost every poll since forever and we can't find anybody who will say something nice about them, but would you look at that preferred PM poll. It's one of the few things you've got going for you if your job is to try and undermine the opposition.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

V for Vegas posted:

He was on Sky this morning? :shrug: I think his office has been hectic the last couple of months getting stuff ready for the federal election - and the byelections just made that worse. There's not much space for proactive announcements until the election campaign starts up.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Also the obvious conclusion from comparing the preferred PM results to the 2PP results is that the problem is Coalition policy and not Turnbull. For some reason a lot of people ignore that :iiam:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Kafka Syrup posted:

He was on Sky this morning? :shrug: I think his office has been hectic the last couple of months getting stuff ready for the federal election - and the byelections just made that worse. There's not much space for proactive announcements until the election campaign starts up.

Don't forget the Victorian state election coming up; the Vic Greens have a lot of plates spinning right now, and I wouldn't be surprised if the federal MPs are caught up in it.

EDIT: Also nobody on a federal stage was really looking at him, it was all about the by-elections and the Greens don't have a whole lot of horses in those races. Even if it's business as usual, people are talking about something else.

A Good Username
Oct 10, 2007

Phone posting so no link, but Michaelia Cash has been referred to the DPP by the Fed Police.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/workmanalice/status/1023767194901958657

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

A Good Username posted:

Phone posting so no link, but Michaelia Cash has been referred to the DPP by the Fed Police.

I got you fam

https://www.buzzfeed.com/aliceworkman/the-afp-has-referred-its-investigation-into-michaelia-cashs?utm_term=.ttZDwXBYG#.rlpqk2yoG

quote:

The Australian Federal Police has referred its investigation into the media leaks from jobs minister Michaelia Cash's office about the raids on the Australian Workers' Union to the Commonwealth Director of Public Prosecution, to determine whether charges should be laid.

The AFP has confirmed it is now liaising with the CDPP as part of its investigation into the media being tipped off about the October 24 raids.

The AFP is aiming to give material to the CDPP in the next two weeks. The CDPP will then determine if charges will be laid.

"The AFP has commenced an investigation into the alleged unauthorised disclosure of information concerning recent search warrants executed in support of a Registered Organisations Commission investigation," a spokesperson told BuzzFeed News.

In May, BuzzFeed News published internal AFP documents that reveal police were investigating the offence of "unauthorised disclosure of government information", which carries a maximum two-year jail term.

Under Australian law: "A person who publishes or communicates, without lawful authority or excuse, any fact or document which came to his or her knowledge, or into his or her possession, by virtue of being/or having been a Commonwealth Officer, and which is not his or her duty to disclose, commits an offence."

“It is troubling, but not surprising, that the Australian Federal Police has decided to refer their investigation to the Commonwealth prosecutor," AWU national secretary Daniel Walton told BuzzFeed News.

“Clearly the AFP have learned enough here to believe it warrants the attention of the prosecutor."

Labor senator Doug Cameron said he welcomes the AFP's thorough investigation.

"If the outcome is that Michaelia Cash’s office has broken the law in order to gain political advantage, then the minister has to accept complete responsibility and resign. If she does not accept responsibility and resign, then Malcolm Turnbull must sack her," he told BuzzFeed News.

"Michaelia Cash has never divulged the full circumstances surrounding this disgraceful episode, including what other ministers were involved."

Labor's workplace spokesperson Brendan O'Connor has called for Cash to answer questions over her involvement.

“What role did Cash play in the leak?" he asked. "Is she a witness or is she under investigation? Cash must finally come clean.”

Cash's office refused to answer BuzzFeed News' questions.

BuzzFeed News revealed last year that Cash's former senior media adviser David De Garis had tipped off several media organisations about the raids. In February a journalist claimed they received a phone call from then justice minister Michael Keenan's office informing them of the raids before they took place.

The raids were part of an investigation by the Turnbull government–established watchdog, the Registered Organisations Commission, into donations made by the union over a decade ago, when it was led by current Labor leader Bill Shorten.

Cash denied her office had had any involvement in the leak five times in Senate Estimates last year, before announcing her senior media advisor was behind it and had resigned.

The AWU's Federal Court challenge into the "improper political purpose" of the raids is now on hold until the AFP's investigation is completed.

At a case management hearing before Justice North on Monday, the AFP sought to maintain their claim of public interest immunity for another six weeks until 21 August.

The union has successfully argued the trial should be delayed until it can be granted access to three confidential AFP affidavits relating to the raids, which have only been seen by the police and a judge.

The AFP previously indicated to the court it expected its investigation would be concluded by the end of July. It has been running for over nine months.

When asked on Monday by BuzzFeed News for a status update on the investigation - which launched 279 days ago on 25 October, the day after the search warrants were executed on the union - the AFP said it was ongoing.

The AFP will not reveal the identities of those it has spoken to or whether it has interviewed Cash or Keenan. Cash told BuzzFeed News in March that she had not spoken to the AFP but has refused to answer questions since.
In February, police told Senate Estimates they had taken witness statements from 14 people. Thirty-four additional witnesses had spoken with police and provided information.

Interviews have been conducted with more than 10 staffers in ministerial offices, but no ministers. The AFP has also spoken to people from the ROC and the Fair Work Commission.

Cash was re-issued with a subpoena by the Federal Court in May, and has yet to issue a formal challenge to produce documents or appear to give evidence in court.

Subpoena were also re-issued to De Garis and former Fair Work Ombudsman official Mark Lee, after being first sent out in March.

:hawaaaafap:

E;F;B

Edit: Is hiding behind a whiteboard in the chambers contempt of court?

asking for a friend

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Tokamak posted:

They only talk about it as a means to create a false balance. LNP have lost every poll since forever and we can't find anybody who will say something nice about them, but would you look at that preferred PM poll. It's one of the few things you've got going for you if your job is to try and undermine the opposition.

Well it's not like they can talk about policy...and the popularity contest has just fizzled. It's the same with Vic Libs, they've tried their hardest to stick Dandrews with something and their own Guy is running on Laura Norder after being lunched by a mafioso.

I think the disinterest by the MSM about what's going on Green is an advantage, given every time they have noticed them it was to regurgitate advisors PR sallies against them. Good. Let them ignore the Greens, the results will confuse them again. But somehow, I think the Libs might need to sing the 'ALP and Greens In Bed' tune again soon because they really have nothing else to say until next year.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

ewe2 posted:

Well it's not like they can talk about policy...and the popularity contest has just fizzled. It's the same with Vic Libs, they've tried their hardest to stick Dandrews with something and their own Guy is running on Laura Norder after being lunched by a mafioso.

I think the disinterest by the MSM about what's going on Green is an advantage, given every time they have noticed them it was to regurgitate advisors PR sallies against them. Good. Let them ignore the Greens, the results will confuse them again. But somehow, I think the Libs might need to sing the 'ALP and Greens In Bed' tune again soon because they really have nothing else to say until next year.

Except there's absolutely nothing to corroborate it, the ALP have consistently voted with the coalition on subjects like asylum seeker welfare, creepy surveillance state stuff, basically all of the poo poo the Greens actually take a stand on (because nobody else does).

They're going to try to rehash 2013 talking points, and it's going to make them seem even more out of touch and irrelevant.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Please send Senator Cash to prison. Please and thank you.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Excellent timing and excellent progress towards what will no doubt be a fizzler outcome when she calls in every favour in the book to avoid conviction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Dude McAwesome posted:

Please send Senator Cash to prison. Please and thank you.

yeah this is not going to happen sorry.

• Locked thread