Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I've cheated in a full stack of cash and upgraded everyone like 30-60% for the first half or so and it's gotten hard again so I did it again and boosted up weapons another 20-30% etc. There was at least one or two missions where I said gently caress it and threw on the infinite moves code and took out troublesome bosses, too.

The real bitch thing is just how many enemies are impossible to hit, ever. One thing to keep in mind is there actually is terrain bonuses so try to get the good ones for yourself and make the enemy stand out in open areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
I would like to thank the anti-spirals for their participation in the X-cross Accelerated Ace program, without their help I would not have gotten like 8 aces in two stages, with another on the verge. I would also like to thank them for making sure the first >100k hp boss had no applicable skills whatsoever, and thus donating around 42k to my war chest with no real effort on my part.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Inferno-sama posted:

Yeah, tried doing that with the patch. Didn't work out.

You have to cheat in the unpatched version.

Just load up the JP version, load your save, apply cheats, save.

Then load up the patched version and load your save.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Here have some A Portable cheats that work with the patch for me in ppsspp, filename ULJS00143.ini

_C0 Inf Movement (turn off before ending phase)
_L 0x4031954C 0x01000070
_L 0x00000000 0x00000000
_C0 Money
_L 0x20832950 0x0098967F
_C0 SP not decrease
_L 0x80319578 0x010001C0
_L 0x00000000 0x00000000
_C0 All reinforcement parts EN
_L 0x80832999 0x00250001
_L 0x00000063 0x00000000
_C0 All skill parts EN
_L 0x80832A19 0x00200001
_L 0x00000063 0x00000000

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I’ve been playing FMW4 again and thinking, is that series ever going to get console ports? Many of the other Touhou fan games of that era have. It’s the only PC exclusive game I play anymore and a pain to connect it to the TV every time, not to mention its various technical deficiencies.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Gundam Battle Operation 2 is out now, and is pretty fun

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
In GB3 I've been using continuous beam rifles (GN Long Rifle, Twin Buster Rifle) because they seem cool and good. But I hear these weapons are actually bad because they lock you down in one spot?

Confirm/deny?

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

I’ve been playing FMW4 again and thinking, is that series ever going to get console ports?
Is there an easy way to port Gamemaker engine games to consoles?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Davzz posted:

Is there an easy way to port Gamemaker engine games to consoles?
I don’t know what other games use it so beats me.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Off the top of my head, Undertale, Hyper Light Drifter, and VA11Halla were all made in GM Studio, so they could probably do a console port of they were so inclined.

e: It's worth noting though, Sanbondo has been working on FMW in some capacity since at least 2008, so it's possible the team is just tired of it by now and might not want to bother.

Golden Battler fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 30, 2018

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Golden Battler posted:

Off the top of my head, Undertale, Hyper Light Drifter, and VA11Halla were all made in GM Studio, so they could probably do a console port of they were so inclined.

e: It's worth noting though, Sanbondo has been working on FMW in some capacity since at least 2008, so it's possible the team is just tired of it by now and might not want to bother.
Yeah I can feel that in 4. Also main line Touhou went in the direction of dreams too while they were making 4 and I imagine that took some wind out of their sails.

KoB
May 1, 2009
https://twitter.com/go0517go/status/1023430194235813889

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Anyone else here playing Gundam Battle Operation 2?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
FMW4 sure follows in the footsteps of other series-final SRW games by having the last few stages as long as like five normal stages each. Some seriously dramatic poo poo happens about the meaning of Gensokyo's existence. The final combat scene between Yuuka and Yukari, and then Meiko's last two attacks were nuts. Will the Makura fight top that?

To me, there's nothing more dramatic in all of games than a series-final SRW ending. Mass Effect 3's is the only thing that could have come close, except they utterly screwed the pooch at the last minute.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jul 30, 2018

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
I am unfortunately too late to report this but X-O linked to a survey on which series you would like to see return to SRW that was up for a veery short time (free entry rather than poll selection) so I missed my chance to write Iczer and Dangaioh I guess

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

Samurai Sanders posted:

FMW4 sure follows in the footsteps of other series-final SRW games by having the last few stages as long as like five normal stages each. Some seriously dramatic poo poo happens about the meaning of Gensokyo's existence. The final combat scene between Yuuka and Yukari, and then Meiko's last two attacks were nuts. Will the Makura fight top that?

Maybe?

For what it's worth, Makura's theme is my favorite song in the entire franchise.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Finally finished FWM4. I haven't felt that way since the end of SRWZ3, and before that the end of Alpha 3. There's something special about ending an epic game series that has lasted for several years.

That said, Alpha and Z didn't end everyone getting drunk as gently caress. This is Touhou though. It couldn't have ended any other way.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jul 31, 2018

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I felt baffled at the end of α3 and deeply disappointed at the end of Z3, so...

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

drrockso20 posted:

Anyone else here playing Gundam Battle Operation 2?

I can't find any info on its release, is it in the states or just overseas?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

No NA release, probably ever.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I'm disappointed that an in map cutscene in one of the later stages of FMW2 always froze the game for me, even when I reverted to the Japanese version. I could have skipped ahead to 3 but losing all my money and items would suck so I never got around to it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Kingtheninja posted:

Currently only on Japanese PSN, not too hard to get it though, or to play it even though it's not in English

Midjack posted:

No NA release, probably ever.

I dunno, we've started to get Gundam games in the US again so it's not completely impossible, also the odds of a Singapore release in English aren't too low, as pretty much every PS4 game with Gundam in it in the last couple of years has gotten one

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Finished A Portable. That game must be pretty hard / really expect you to fully understand and abuse all mechanics because WOW I had a hard time with certain levels even with cheats!

Fun stuff though. Lamia was a pretty decent story over all, started a NG+ with Axel but I doubt I'll actually play it anytime real soon.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

WrightOfWay posted:

I'm disappointed that an in map cutscene in one of the later stages of FMW2 always froze the game for me, even when I reverted to the Japanese version. I could have skipped ahead to 3 but losing all my money and items would suck so I never got around to it.
If you start a new game of 3 it will give you money and items, just maybe not the exact ones that you had before.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!

WrightOfWay posted:

Just skip to 3 it is an insanely better game.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Holy crap that is awesome

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
So I'm playing V, and one of the Might Gaine villains insults Ange in a stage, calling her a Norma - does that imply he can use magic in this game, or am I overthinking it?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Justin_Brett posted:

So I'm playing V, and one of the Might Gaine villains insults Ange in a stage, calling her a Norma - does that imply he can use magic in this game, or am I overthinking it?
I don’t think so; it’s a generic insult in Japanese, though I don’t know its origin.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Edit: Never mind, I found the line. It's Exev, right? It's specifically an anti-Norma battle line that calls them that, rather than "noroma". There's a lot of cross-pollination in the voiced battle lines.

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Aug 1, 2018

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The chinese mafia guy. But if there's a similar word that probably is just a mistake.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Yeah it could really be either one.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Dunno if anyone in here is still playing, but I just went from chapter 3 to 4/5 in SRWX-O and the capacity of units I can bring into missions basically dropped from around 140 to 80 or so. Is there a reason for this happening, because it sure made things harder.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Justin_Brett posted:

You are overthinking it. It doesn't get explained very well in the SRW games but being a norma doesn't just mean they can't use magic, normas are more like anti-magic. There are several scenes in the show where a norma is shown effortlessly destroying mana barriers and shields simply by touching them and is part of the reason the general population fears them aside from embryo implanting that fear/hatred as an instinct genetically.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Justin_Brett posted:

He's an international weapon salesman who hangs out with other evil people a lot. That's plenty of reason for him to pick that up. Even Might had a blind spot about how bad things are for the Norma.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Ryoga posted:

You are overthinking it. It doesn't get explained very well in the SRW games but being a norma doesn't just mean they can't use magic, normas are more like anti-magic. There are several scenes in the show where a norma is shown effortlessly destroying mana barriers and shields simply by touching them and is part of the reason the general population fears them aside from embryo implanting that fear/hatred as an instinct genetically.

Oh right, that was a thing in the first couple episodes of it I saw, that makes sense.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Speaking of F2P mecha games: Border Break came out today on the Japanese PSN. Gonna give it a whirl but I'm glad it finally came to a console.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

Speaking of F2P mecha games: Border Break came out today on the Japanese PSN. Gonna give it a whirl but I'm glad it finally came to a console.
I've been seeing ads for it constantly but still have no idea how it controls.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ay-czGP6D0

Alright I put the game through its paces. I did the tutorial, a few rounds in Beginner Mode (which is Players vs CPU), and some of the story. I'd like to thank Sega of Japan for not being weird racists as they let non-Japanese PSN accounts connect to the servers, which was something Bandai Namco didn't allow with Gundam Battle Operation NEXT when I played it and that really pissed me off. So congrats Sega I might actually play this game for more than a day!

Boot the sucker up and it asks you to name your profile and pick a Pilot, which are all different characters and have their own special abilities (more on that later), then you get thrust into the story mode. I can't read any of it but the gist of it was about a squad of mercenaries in a conflict between two sci-fi alliances. Tutorial's pretty much what you'd expect. How to control it, how to fight, do basic commands, completing objectives and using objects. Nothing too out of the ordinary.

It's a Sega arcade game so it's pretty quick and responsive, didn't get any lag even when playing online and no performance judders so far (playing on Pro). Something to note is that there's apparently no Aim Assist so you better learn to aim those sticks right (or plug in a USB mouse because the game actually lets you do that!) Basic gist is that you capture points, defend them against enemies, and attack their base core which is this giant orb. There's a lot of different terrain you can utilize, a limited-use teleport to jump to bases, and you can get a drop on people with launchers that hurl you across the map or zip lines to reach higher ground. There's a heavy focus on team play and it's very easy to get caught out if you try lone wolfing it.

You've got four kinds of robot: your jack-of-all-trades shoot/stab/grenade kind of assault robot, a slower heavy weapons robot, a zippier light weapons one, and some kind of support sniper bot. From there they have four different weapons, are built from four different pieces, and have slots for five different "logic chips" (that's what the translation is telling me) to boost your stats. You can customize them with paint jobs and emblems too, which is pretty alright. The library menu shows that there's over 100 weapons and 90 some-odd robot parts to mix and match. So there's some depth! Each weapon and frame part has different star rated versions (which go up to 3 stars) and each of them can be upgraded using a currency I don't know the name of to improve things like reload time, clip size, etc. As you might expect, there seems to be limits and restrictions on your loadout based on what I gather is weight and power draw. Your pilot and account have EXP was well and grow as you play, and the pilot's special skill upgrades the higher level they reach.

The big sticking point, which may or may not kill your desire to play this game, is that Sega compensated for the fact that they turned a pay-per-play arcade game into a free-to-play console port by adding a lot of gacha elements to it.

Now this is as far as I can tell, but the only way for you to get any kind of new weapons and frame parts is to pull on gacha banners. These banners have two different costs you have to pay: a "Lotto Ticket" which you buy for 2500 Green Pass things (which you earn by playing the game and completing daily objectives), and anywhere between 200 to 2000 of these Blue Crystals for 1 to 10 pulls (so far these seem to be mission clear rewards and paid currency). There seems to be some kind of single Free Pull related to your PS+ status, and amazingly the game recognized my Canadian PS+ account as being valid for this despite being a Japanese game! So hey, that's nice. I'm fuddling my way through these menus learning them with my phone's Google Translate so I can't tell if this freebie is weekly or daily, I'm sure I'll know by this time tomorrow. You can also buy new pilots, operators (who are the in-game system voices), robot color schemes, and resource/EXP boosters. It's pretty standard if you've played gacha.

The paid releases of the game in Japan come with some bonus stuff but naturally that's all locked to a Japanese PSN account and most of it is just early resources and stuff you can get through pulls anyway.

All in all, I think it's pretty fun. It doesn't seem to be super deep but it's fun to just hop online and blast some dudes with a robot. It's free so you can just hop over to a JPN PSN account and give it a whirl yourself!

Samurai Sanders posted:

I've been seeing ads for it constantly but still have no idea how it controls.

It's pretty easy to control, given that it's an arcade game adapted to console. Move and aim with the sticks, shoot with R2 and lock on with R1. Boost dash L2, boost jump with L1, and use objects (i.e. launchers, repair stations) with L3. Each of the face buttons lets you switch to a weapon assigned to those buttons. D-Pad as far as I can tell is for quick chat, touch pad has left side mapped to Map and right side mapped to scoreboard. It's all really easy and intuitive.

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Aug 2, 2018

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
The music in Compact 3 is really, really good considering how old the console is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I played some Border Break last night and I really don’t see what the big deal is, relative to other team based capture kinda shooters, with robots or not.

• Locked thread