Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Macaluso posted:

They need to go back to the loving drawing board with the sentinels. I should not be being punished for loving mining rocks. Have them protect really valuable things, otherwise they shouldn't exist.

Agreed.
Though, a tip: They're idiots, and if something is mined near them, they'll check it out.
Do that at a distance and you can lure them away and out of your hair by mining a couple things at long range, near them.
They're utter idiots.

Sentinel: ??? Something just got mined ??? Could it be that person over there shooting a giant green laser, no, obviously not ???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Other sentinel note - has anyone else noticed that on planets with aggressive sentinels, the "searching" timer sometimes cuts out and cancels the alert early? Like it'll get down to 20 seconds and then quit. In which case if you're trying to knock out some sentinel killing missions, it's actually easier/faster to do it on an aggressive planet.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
This also works on reinforced doors, they’re so fascinated by the bullets hitting the door that they don’t care where they’re being fired from.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Macaluso posted:

They need to go back to the loving drawing board with the sentinels. I should not be being punished for loving mining rocks. Have them protect really valuable things, otherwise they shouldn't exist.

The sentinels are basically a automated wildlife protection mainframe in the story you later find out, so they do their job to a T, you just kinda get used to them from those of use who have played for awhile

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
the biggest annoyance I have with sentinels is that they are on virtually every planet it fucks with ~my immersion~

drat, a featureless, airless, low gravity arid moon at the absolute border of the solar system. This is so coo- aaaand there's a sentinel right next to me when I land because of course there is

edit: also some stuff needs to be tuned, Gravitino balls might as well be worthless but picking one up kicks off the SPACE POLICE which is an extreme annoyance at best and a death sentence at worst. If you are going to have those mechanics they have to be tied to some really good stuff to make it worth it.

The alien eggs are a step in the right direction but it's brainless and rewards cheesing it and punishes staying to fight where it should be the opposite way round.

abigserve fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 30, 2018

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Macaluso posted:

i would be down with them only really watching over ruins with longer breaks in between waves

basically if you want to get to the good ~1mil credit artifacts it becomes a race against the clock to locate /dig / unlock the treasure box as more sentinels come in on you

yelling at me because im collecting ferrite dust from little rocks just feels like its penalizing for me actually trying to get anything done on any planet, it'd be nice if i could just set up a base and strip the surrounding area with scarcity be what's pushing me farther out from safety and not cause a busy lil bee stopped on by and now i can't do poo poo

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I got a lot of affection for the Vyqeen when read somewhere in the menu that they consider it a sacred duty to kick the poo poo out of sentinels

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

this is what I see, and its killing my enjoyment of the game to figure out wtf button I have to press every time

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
(e: ^^^ just click the broken part? hovering should show you what you need)

Just a few quick photos:

"Terraforming Disaster" planets are eerie thanks in part to the descriptor. This one basically had nothing aside from some rocks and di-hydrogen crystals.

I decided to plop my base down here despite the occasional blizzards. The moon itself is super-rich with rare materials, but the planet it orbits is a gravitano-laced sentinel nightmare. The rings on that planet are huuuge and the system space station sits right in them.

Haven't seen this planet type posted yet. Those things were all pure ferrite, some of them floated, rotating in the air, and that's all the planet was. Weird.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb
My favorite worlds so far have been abandoned planets with spoopy filters.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
God I hate sentinels. Whats the best gimmicky way to cheese them out of my way? They take eons to kill because all my gear is suited towards mining.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So I found a crashed ship. It had a lot of broken poo poo.

Among things it needed to be repaired, was a poo poo-ton of platinum.

Knowing Plat can be refined from asteroid mined stuff, I flew up to blow up space rocks.

However, now I have no idea where on the planet the crashed ship is.

I "claimed" it for 0 credits, and sat in the cockpit and everything, so I assumed an icon would appear for it like my first ship, but no dice.

Am I hosed/have I wasted all the stuff I already put into repairing it?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Annath posted:

So I found a crashed ship. It had a lot of broken poo poo.

Among things it needed to be repaired, was a poo poo-ton of platinum.

Knowing Plat can be refined from asteroid mined stuff, I flew up to blow up space rocks.

However, now I have no idea where on the planet the crashed ship is.

I "claimed" it for 0 credits, and sat in the cockpit and everything, so I assumed an icon would appear for it like my first ship, but no dice.

Am I hosed/have I wasted all the stuff I already put into repairing it?

If you fixed the engines you should be able to recall the vehicle when on the surface of a planet (NOT while inside a space station, amusingly) using the quick menu. However, once you do you should really go wait around at a space station for a much nicer ship to show up and trade in that junker for a brand new one that you don't have to waste tens of hours collecting poo poo to make it usable!

I just unlocked the medium refinery and am actually intrigued by the idea that you can combine pretty much anything to make anything if you have enough of them using this thing. I had assumed the portable refinery would be all there was to it but I like actually having a reason to have a base to keep my machinery, and also how easy it is to get around after building a teleporter in your base.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 30, 2018

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

f#a# posted:

(e: ^^^ just click the broken part? hovering should show you what you need)

Just a few quick photos:

"Terraforming Disaster" planets are eerie thanks in part to the descriptor. This one basically had nothing aside from some rocks and di-hydrogen crystals.

I decided to plop my base down here despite the occasional blizzards. The moon itself is super-rich with rare materials, but the planet it orbits is a gravitano-laced sentinel nightmare. The rings on that planet are huuuge and the system space station sits right in them.

Haven't seen this planet type posted yet. Those things were all pure ferrite, some of them floated, rotating in the air, and that's all the planet was. Weird.

Its every tooltip though. Toggle the torch, what button? who knows

Pick up the thing you placed? oh its MMB, but no way you can know without pressing every button till you get it

its just kinda annoying and I have no clue how to fix it

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

explosivo posted:

If you fixed the engines you should be able to recall the vehicle when on the surface of a planet (NOT while inside a space station, amusingly) using the quick menu. However, once you do you should really go wait around at a space station for a much nicer ship to show up and trade in that junker for a brand new one that you don't have to waste tens of hours collecting poo poo to make it usable!

I just unlocked the medium refinery and am actually intrigued by the idea that you can combine pretty much anything to make anything if you have enough of them using this thing. I had assumed the portable refinery would be all there was to it but I like actually having a reason to have a base to keep my machinery, and also how easy it is to get around after building a teleporter in your base.

Hm...Well the ships I've seen at stations all cost over 1 million credits. The ship I found is a damaged B class shuttle with "Emeril Drives".

Will that be enough for something decent?

Also, what do I do with my first ship? Just abandon it?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Annath posted:

Hm...Well the ships I've seen at stations all cost over 1 million credits. The ship I found is a damaged B class shuttle with "Emeril Drives".

Will that be enough for something decent?

Also, what do I do with my first ship? Just abandon it?

Or trade it in on something else, after you get a freighter you can store 9 ships if you wanted to

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Azhais posted:

Or trade it in on something else, after you get a freighter you can store 9 ships if you wanted to

If I found a crashed ship before I got a freighter and claimed it, and got a freighter later, that old ship is gone, right?

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I hate sentinels so much I got the scattergun thing with 2 S level upgrades just to kill them quicker.

I lucked into both B class starship and B class multi-tool with like 30/23 slots each, which I could afford after finding some green plant bulb thing in a Run that I sold for like 15 *million* credits. :stare: So do ruins when you can, they could really pay off.

Roman fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jul 30, 2018

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Having read all the horror stories with freighter bugs, when I got the invite to help save one I just did it and said yes to everything. I reckoned it'd be easier to find a replacement for a crappy one later rather than mess about and risk getting broken.
So when the Vykeen Captain said "Here ya go bub" and handed me a B class, 31 slot star destroyer freighter I was pretty happy. I built a command room and undocked to go buy more frigates (it only came with 1). I just accepted anything, fill up first then worry about quality. One of them was a Gek explorer with "Spider infestation" under Notes. I'm going to have to land on that one and have a look.

I took photos, well I thought I did but it's - *drumroll* - buggy. I should have kept using F12.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Ultimate Mango posted:

If I found a crashed ship before I got a freighter and claimed it, and got a freighter later, that old ship is gone, right?
No, I claimed 3 crashed ships and when I got my welfare freighter all 3 were there.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Azhais posted:

Can you? I thought you could only have 6 ships.

Also, considering how cheap regular suit expansion slots are and how expensive the cargo ones get I'm pretty glad you can use found dropped pods for a free upgrade on any of them.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

froody guy posted:

Oh boi dis bois: Sean Murray received death threaths over butterflies

So, anyone saw butterflies? Coz I ain't :toughguy:

I got some large flying trilobites. That impressed me a lot more than just butterflies. :v:

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

robbing alien tombs has pretty much been my go to for making cash

lowest i ever found was 500k credits while highest was like 1.5m

im also somewhat in excess of six leftover keys so i don't know if i missed something or some ruins have more than 3 keys to unearth

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
^^ sites seem to have 5-6 keys. Lowest I've found is 187k

Ultimate Mango posted:

It'll magically appear after you get the freighter I think

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
Oh, protip for weird freighter bugs.

If you warp your freighter into another system and don't see any of your extra ships, just go back to the title screen and reload. They should pop up again.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Are photon canon modules just not worth buying? I've gotten two that were like 1-2% increases, and they were not even C class. One might have been an S class. Also, can you have more than one S class mod for the same thing? Can I double up on S class scanning or movement, for example?

Also S tier blaster mod seems worthless as well. Are all S class weapon mods just trash then?

Also, when I loaded in, the freighter that I rescued that I put my stuff in that it said I didn't own was gone. Good stuff.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Is there some way to find a crashed ship that I bought but didn't repair? I bought two ships but left them broken on unknown planets and I can't call them to me.

abigserve posted:

the biggest annoyance I have with sentinels is that they are on virtually every planet it fucks with ~my immersion~

drat, a featureless, airless, low gravity arid moon at the absolute border of the solar system. This is so coo- aaaand there's a sentinel right next to me when I land because of course there is

edit: also some stuff needs to be tuned, Gravitino balls might as well be worthless but picking one up kicks off the SPACE POLICE which is an extreme annoyance at best and a death sentence at worst. If you are going to have those mechanics they have to be tied to some really good stuff to make it worth it.

The alien eggs are a step in the right direction but it's brainless and rewards cheesing it and punishes staying to fight where it should be the opposite way round.

If you want to steal stuff Sentinels are protecting just grab as much as you can carry and fly away, but stay on the planet until the timer runs down.

I don't know how to escape the space based ones though.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Is there some way to find a crashed ship that I bought but didn't repair? I bought two ships but left them broken on unknown planets and I can't call them to me.

If you want to steal stuff Sentinels are protecting just grab as much as you can carry and fly away, but stay on the planet until the timer runs down.

I don't know how to escape the space based ones though.

All you can hope is to get a freighter and warp it and hope they pop up.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Wait, you get a welfare freighter?

I have 2, uh, quest lines, in my log:

The Atlas Path which just says "lol go explore"

and

Space Anomaly, which wants me to investigate an unusual space station.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

is the atlas path the evil path or something? i have no idea what i'm doing in this game. the main story seems very depressing?

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Annath posted:

and

The freighter is an event that you get after a couple of hyper jumps. To unlock the Atlas quest you can select the space anomaly mission from the log and it should point you to the current system space anomaly.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Annath posted:

and

Space Anomaly should start leading you down the Atlas Path.

Yes, you'll get a free freighter; after you travel to a few systems (not sure if you have to be on the Atlas path), some easy pirates will be attacking a freighter. Kill them, and the captain will call you and invite you to the bridge. Talk to him on the bridge, and he'll offer to let you inspect the freighter. My understanding is you can decline after this if it's a tiny freighter (like mine) and keep flying around to trigger the encounter again until you find a big freighter. You may have to do a space event trigger like launch from a space station, leave a planet, or hyperspace in.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

juggalo baby coffin posted:

is the atlas path the evil path or something? i have no idea what i'm doing in this game. the main story seems very depressing?

The plot, such as it is, is essentially an existential fever dream

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Pyroclastic posted:

Space Anomaly should start leading you down the Atlas Path.

Yes, you'll get a free freighter; after you travel to a few systems (not sure if you have to be on the Atlas path), some easy pirates will be attacking a freighter. Kill them, and the captain will call you and invite you to the bridge. Talk to him on the bridge, and he'll offer to let you inspect the freighter. My understanding is you can decline after this if it's a tiny freighter (like mine) and keep flying around to trigger the encounter again until you find a big freighter. You may have to do a space event trigger like launch from a space station, leave a planet, or hyperspace in.

note: this doesnt necessarily work. a lot of people inc. myself just never got another freighter mission

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
The way I understand is that the first system is the one that teaches you stuff. The second one is basically the expansion of the tutorial, telling you how to make antimatter. That's the entire point of this system for the questline. The third teaches you about the Atlas questline or to go off and explore on your own. The fourth introduces the frigate system, if you do claim the frigate at least. The fifth system you go to will kick off Artemis.

No clue what happens if you don't follow the Atlas questline, but I assume the fourth system will have the scripted pirate attack.

Much like going from your ship to the shelter has a scripted weather storm, and after you build your shelter for the base has the scripted storm too. I mean you can walk back to your ship to wait out the storm in the first case, and the second case you can sit inside your box

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

FYI for the freighter mission, I think you have to answer the hailing message they send you in your ship, which is done via the quick menu. If you are flying around in third person, you might hear it, but I don't know if a notification pops up. It does show in your ship's dashboard though, instead of the radar.

There is also always the chance that like me and others, you will complete the mission and just not get your freighter anyway.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I sent a frigate out on a mission, and got the following in the debrief:

"Chased down pirates with damaged ship across sector, took bribe to let them go. Destroyed them anyway."

Aw, guys, you shouldn't have :allears:

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Something I haven't seen anyone else mention: After your frigates have completed a mission you can land on each individual frigate in your fleet to receive stuff, mostly chromatic metals but also magnetized ferrite. It's quite a lot of stuff and I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere.
Also if you get the "0 damaged components" frigate bug it is usually solved by going to another system and then calling the freighter to your new system. Doesn't seem to work if you just call the freighter to a new position in the same system you're already in.

Question: Is there an easy way of getting loads of di-hydrogen? It is by far the most time consuming thing to gather for me since all those crystals have so little in them.

I had a curious bug happen with my base after visiting a friends base. The game got confused which base was which and the mission to scan your base computer for blueprints directed me to my friends base. Then I built a communication device thing in my base to set a message for visitors, when I re-started the game later this communication device had turned into a second base computer so now I have 2 base computers in my base and thus giving me duplicate entries for the base in the warp interface.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1456988316

^ Refining guide for various materials

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Thank you! Time to get rich....er.