Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Man that big bottom bezel looks very weird. Especially with the white phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

FistEnergy posted:

See, I think it's the notch that looks really out of place. The bottom bezel is fine to me.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

FistEnergy posted:

I'm not sure there is a 2018 flagship with a lower screen-to-body ratio, I suppose bezels are just not a priority for Google.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Incessant Excess posted:

Someone on XDA got their hands on a Pixel 3 XL:

Can the pixel 3 get half the leak love that the 3XL is getting? Christ.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
That is a terrible attempt at an iPhone X clone.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Seems just OK to me...like every other Pixel so far.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Displays and speakers are a solved problem, why are they loving around with notches other than nyaaargh bezels nyaarghhh!!

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Bring back the panda option

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
With a chin that big, they must be bringing back removable SD card.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Ugh such a huge chin! I won't be happy until a phone has a 7" screen and negative bezels.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I am not fussed by bezels as I'm usually looking at the screen :shrug:

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The S8 got the bezel-less look right first time. How has everything since been such a shitshow?
I guess they're all looking for something unique and not just GLASS RECTANGLE #37 ?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Notches continue to be horrific. Thanking the lord my Pixel 3 will have smaller bezels than the Pixel 2 and no notch.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I don't really care about the notch, except what is the point? It doesn't really add any screen space and is as functionally useful as a bezel, so all it does is make the screen look weird and not square.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Peachfart posted:

I don't really care about the notch, except what is the point? It doesn't really add any screen space and is as functionally useful as a bezel, so all it does is make the screen look weird and not square.

There is no point, it's dumb garbage to pander to dumb idiots

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

sourdough posted:

There is no point, it's dumb garbage to pander to dumb idiots

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Inspect Your Gadgets > The Android Thread - dumb garbage to pander to dumb idiots

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I'm kind of curious why they did bezels on the small one and notch on the big one, bringing them physically closer to the same size, instead of trying to make the small one even smaller and letting the big phone be, well, big.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'm not sure there are any small notched screens.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
To give notch haters some product rather than risking them to another manufacturer.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

ilkhan posted:

I'm kind of curious why they did bezels on the small one and notch on the big one, bringing them physically closer to the same size, instead of trying to make the small one even smaller and letting the big phone be, well, big.

They aren't bringing them physically closer to the same size. The leaked dimensions have both phones at virtually the same size as the outgoing models.

The Pixel 3 is is the same form factor as the Pixel 2, just with an 18:9 display that uses some of the prior phone's bezel space.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jul 30, 2018

Hold The Ashes
Sep 17, 2017
I just bought my first ever smartphone, a Galaxy S9 Plus, and I'm trying to see how long it lasts on battery with very casual use. When I go to sleep the battery is 100%, when I wake up it's down to 85% despite me turning Wifi, bluetooth and scan for other devices off and having received no calls or texts (#sad). Is this normal for a smartphone? The only thing I can't figure out is how to turn off the screen when the phone isn't being used from being very dimly lit but telling me the time/battery/temperature, could that be what's causing it?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Hold The Ashes posted:

I just bought my first ever smartphone, a Galaxy S9 Plus, and I'm trying to see how long it lasts on battery with very casual use. When I go to sleep the battery is 100%, when I wake up it's down to 85% despite me turning Wifi, bluetooth and scan for other devices off and having received no calls or texts (#sad). Is this normal for a smartphone? The only thing I can't figure out is how to turn off the screen when the phone isn't being used from being very dimly lit but telling me the time/battery/temperature, could that be what's causing it?

That's normal. Don't janitor your phone, don't toggle stuff off like that. And the dimly lit display is called "always on display" and you can set options for it to auto turn off at night and auto turn back in the morning.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I have a Moto G5 Plus and I lose less than 8 or 9% overnight. Try turning off the always on display at night.

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

Hold The Ashes posted:

That's about average tbh, though with a brand new smartphone its also doing some behind-the-scenes setup and organizing that will eat up extra battery after you first start using it. You should see a marginal improvement in standby time a day or so after initial setup.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'd love to see a percentage of how many of the Pixel 2's sales were from the XL and how many from the regular. I'd guess it's something like 75% are XL.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Just to experiment I'm going to try leaving my phone off the charger overnight tonight because I feel there's no way losing 15% in eight hours with no activity is normal. If it's anything more than 5% I'd consider that to be terrible.

Edit: Eight hours later and I'm at 95%.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 30, 2018

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Hold The Ashes posted:

You should leave the wifi on. LTE takes more battery.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Hold The Ashes posted:

This is normal for a phone left on - is there a reason you don't just leave it on charge? That's normal smartphone behaviour people learn. The S9 charges wirelessly so you can grab a Samsung wireless charger and let it sit on that at night.
Otherwise, Samsung add some aggressive battery saving modes. The medium tier disables all background activity + the always on display and at that point it'll lose maybe 0.5% an hour.

If you really want to have long-rear end standby time, and you can still return the S9, something like the moto G6 or Nokia 7 plus have low-power chipsets that'll give you 3 days of battery with light use.

Mu Zeta posted:

This is true however in doing so you turn off, in effect, everything that has "wifi only" as a property, so the phone does do less.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

Just to experiment I'm going to try leaving my phone off the charger overnight tonight because I feel there's no way losing 15% in eight hours with no activity is normal. If it's anything more than 5% I'd consider that to be terrible.
With wi-fi off (and data on) 15% doesn't sound unreasonable at all. I'd say it's pretty decent.

Mu Zeta posted:

Also worth noting that disabling wi-fi doesn't actually turn the wi-fi radio off these days. It just stops it connecting to networks. It'll still passively scan and use wi-fi to improve location accuracy. This is because the battery life impact of doing this is so small as to be irrelevant.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jul 30, 2018

Katty!
Aug 26, 2015

Chillin'

Running the P beta and got my first bug; seems Google are removing the ability to go home and switch between recent apps, a bold new move for the Android ecosystem

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

LastInLine posted:

Thats about how much or more I've lost overnight as long as I've had a fuckin smartphone. But on the latest beta update on my Pixel 2 its finally starting to make sense, 4-6% overnight. (Ashes, I have had several Samsungs, such is the reason for always having burned an inordinate amount of battery before for no reason)

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Since there is no way I'm making it through two days, my phone is on the charger every night.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014

Katty! posted:

Running the P beta and got my first bug; seems Google are removing the ability to go home and switch between recent apps, a bold new move for the Android ecosystem

Hold the home button then push up. Also rtfm with patches.

Katty!
Aug 26, 2015

Chillin'

spiky butthole posted:

Hold the home button then push up. Also rtfm with patches.

This is with the new 'swipe up on home button' gesture disabled and it's just a curiosity I haven't seen before rather than a legitimate gripe but :thanks:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

At camp this weekend with my kid, my phone lost about 8% overnight off the charger. OG PixelXL.

But there's a pretty side LTE signal at that camp, so any checks it did during the night were pretty trivial.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Just plug your phone in overnight why are you doing all this janitoring anyway

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Endless Mike posted:

Just plug your phone in overnight why are you doing all this janitoring anyway

Gotta leave room on the bedstand for the CPAP and comic books

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

sorry graphic novels

E: sorry again I mean manga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

With wi-fi off (and data on) 15% doesn't sound unreasonable at all. I'd say it's pretty decent.

Well I went from 100% to 95% which is way more reasonable and about what I've come to expect. My Nexus 5 was about the same level of efficiency when idle (though it got worse with time). 15% over eight hours doing nothing is not good at all and certainly not for a new phone with a new battery. With Doze as aggressive as it is now I don't even see how it's possible.