Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Safeword posted:

Thanks for all your feedback, guys. It's been helpful even though my answers haven't been as detailed as yours!

One last one though - how valuable is gil? Should I be hoarding it, or can I be quite thrifty?

It depends. If you want to play this for the dungeons and fights, gil is pretty trivial-- the MSQ will give you almost all of the gear you need from 1-69 and at 70 spending gil on gear is only one of several means of keeping up to date. You can play this game quite happily in relative poverty-- you'll want to meld materia into your gear at max level but that's cheap or free, and if you want to raid you'll want to invest in consumable foods and potions, but other than that any extra cash you get can go towards minions and glamours and whatever else catches your fancy.

On the other hand, if you want to craft, leveling can have a pretty severe buy-in if you're new, and gearing up crafters (and kitting them out with the best materia melds) can be a hefty chunk of change every few patches if you want to be able to make the latest things. Housing can also cost anywhere from a few hundred thousand for apartments and private rooms to 50-ish million for a large mansion, so depending on your interest, resources, and luck in finding real estate, that can also be something to put aside money for. Decorating can also cost, in theory, millions of gil depending on what you're going for.

So I suppose, overall, there are things to spend money on, and goals to shoot for, but in general FFXIV frames accumulating gil as a definite side activity, not something that will keep you from moving forward or (in most cases) performing well. I wouldn't worry about it too much until you hit the level cap and have the full panoply of side things at your fingertips-- because even as end-game stuff offers a lot to spend your money on, it also gives you brand new way of hurling gil at you, like treasure map dungeons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Alright, thanks again! Got about 50k saved, but wasn't sure if Id have a sudden expense. The chocobo feed is cheap.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Unrelated, I've been toying with an idea, and I'd like to know if anyone's interested. Would there be any interest in goon learning parties for Savage-level (or even EX primal) content? It's not the easiest thing to get into, and I'm guessing a lot of statics are either on break until 4.4 or are clearing on Tuesday then going "now what?" afterwards, so finding a few experienced people shouldn't be impossible.

As an added bonus (for me), this would help me get my Excal alt geared up a bit.

school is, as always, IN SESSION, even if the teacher is shorter

Yes. Please teach me how to be less bad.

Savage content interests me but trying to get into it is difficult because people either have groups already or are randos salting it up in Party Finder.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Safeword posted:

Alright, thanks again! Got about 50k saved, but wasn't sure if Id have a sudden expense. The chocobo feed is cheap.

After once you have around 5-10 million, you can basically buy anything you'd ever want in the game (minus a large house). It's a bit difficult to build up a nest egg, but everything in this game progression wise is gated by time (e.g. - you spending the time to unlock features, putting in the time for getting gear from dungeons/raids, etc).

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
levelling BRD is fun :) what a nice dps

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Impermanent posted:

levelling BRD is fun :) what a nice dps

It owns so much friend

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Safeword posted:

50k is basically nothing. As long as you're just following the story, you'll never have much in the way of expenses outside of teleporting. Leveling crafters or buying a house is where you suddenly start spending boatloads of gil.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Safeword posted:

Thanks for all your feedback, guys. It's been helpful even though my answers haven't been as detailed as yours!

One last one though - how valuable is gil? Should I be hoarding it, or can I be quite thrifty?

If you don’t mind spending a little time focused on getting it, it’s not hard to make more than you’ll ever need.

Come to Excalibur. I’ll dump a million on you.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Safeword posted:

There's no real gil sink other than crafting and housing so feel free to spend it all on cute clothes/dolls :3:

The game has a lot of ways to pick up money from tank queues which reward materia, mapping for rare mats, and gathering for supplies. I would say some of most expensive items on the MB are mounts like the Pegasus and dodo.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Honestly, I'm just surprised at how much content there is, which is the biggest source of distraction. Granted I am coming in two expansions late, but the hunting logs, the class quests, triple Triad, exploration log, etc. It all adds up and drives my completionist side to madness.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Safeword posted:

Honestly, I'm just surprised at how much content there is, which is the biggest source of distraction. Granted I am coming in two expansions late, but the hunting logs, the class quests, triple Triad, exploration log, etc. It all adds up and drives my completionist side to madness.

A friend and I were talking about WoW vs FFXIV (in the wake of the dreadful WoW patch) and it seems that the WoW leveling experience still takes close to 100 hours for alts. And somewhere like 250+ hours for new players.

Plenty of people in this thread complain about the drag the leveling experience in FFXIV (which I disagree with) but I think they’re thinking about it with the WoW mindset.

In WoW, if you are not at the level cap, there is literally nothing meaningful for you to do other than level.

In FFXIV, there is a goddamn of metric fuckton of fun and interesting things to do while leveling.

WoW is 100% backloaded at the level cap.
FFXIV has “non-leveling” activities across the entire spectrum of levels.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Mordiceius posted:

A friend and I were talking about WoW vs FFXIV (in the wake of the dreadful WoW patch) and it seems that the WoW leveling experience still takes close to 100 hours for alts. And somewhere like 250+ hours for new players.

Plenty of people in this thread complain about the drag the leveling experience in FFXIV (which I disagree with) but I think they’re thinking about it with the WoW mindset.

In WoW, if you are not at the level cap, there is literally nothing meaningful for you to do other than level.

In FFXIV, there is a goddamn of metric fuckton of fun and interesting things to do while leveling.

I think the biggest issue with FF14 levelling I've run into is that your job feels ridiculously incomplete until you're at near max/max level. It's especially evident when you get levelled down for all the side activity (FATEs, random dungeons etc) and have most of your utility or bread and butter stuff just locked.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Archyduke posted:

So I suppose, overall, there are things to spend money on, and goals to shoot for, but in general FFXIV frames accumulating gil as a definite side activity, not something that will keep you from moving forward or (in most cases) performing well. I wouldn't worry about it too much until you hit the level cap and have the full panoply of side things at your fingertips-- because even as end-game stuff offers a lot to spend your money on, it also gives you brand new way of hurling gil at you, like treasure map dungeons.

To put this even more succinctly it's entirely possible that your number one expenditure of gil is going to be teleport fees adding up over your character's lifetime. Aside from leveling crafting/gathering classes (and even then you spend gil to save time with those) every gil sink in the game is optional.

erectoral collage
Jun 15, 2005

rhoga posted:

If you have an Excalibur house you want me to work on, lemme know. Send a tell to Rosineaux Montevere in-game, PM me here, or send an email to rhogasa@gmail.com

Wow, looks fantastic. I will probably take you up on this, as well. I am Corin Valorend in-game and will send you a tell when I see you on!

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Mordiceius posted:

Also, if you're into the story while leveling, WoW is a disjointed mess where you'll probably never see the conclusion of each expansion (or even the zone story a lot of the time) until you're back one shotting fools at max level.

FFXIV gives you a much better story experience while leveling. Even ARR is great for world building if you're into that kind of thing. 2.1 - 2.3 is still really bad, even from that perspective.

WoW's leveling is just a long grind with only scattered moments of interest plot-wise.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
There must be something in the water at Heaven on High this weekend because every group I've tried has been a nightmare.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Ytlaya posted:

As for bosses, should I continue avoiding circular AoEs but tank conical ones to keep them pointed away from everyone else?

So specifically for this, you should sidestep the cone and then move back into position after the cone fades but before the cast finishes. Ideally the boss never turns after the cast because you're already back in front of him.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I only just realized the Eureka Anemos weapons are supposed to be parallels of the 12 Legendary Weapons from Final Fantasy V.

:suicide:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rhix posted:

Also, if you're into the story while leveling, WoW is a disjointed mess where you'll probably never see the conclusion of each expansion (or even the zone story a lot of the time) until you're back one shotting fools at max level.

FFXIV gives you a much better story experience while leveling. Even ARR is great for world building if you're into that kind of thing. 2.1 - 2.3 is still really bad, even from that perspective.

WoW's leveling is just a long grind with only scattered moments of interest plot-wise.

Yeah, I always thought the "btw you gotta raid to even see the conclusion to the expansion" stuff was super dumb (maybe that fixed that since, I dunno). I get that they want a reward for high end raiders, but....I'm not a high end raider and don't really care about that. WoW has some more sophisticated gimmicks for its quests that are pretty cool, but I just prefer the way FFXIV is done.

I've been tanking with my DRK some more, and I'm now level 39. I did some sand tunnel dungeon I hadn't done before (because the MSQ didn't send me there I guess) and it went okay. I feel really squishy compared with other tanks I've played with, though I think that might just be due to wearing normal gear (I'm not sure how higher level people with good gear scale when level synced). I've generally been getting through things fine, though I get the impression the game also gives you a lot of leeway for these "lower level" dungeons.

I got my second combo filled out. I'm guessing I should use that as long as I'm confident in my aggro? It looks like it does slightly more damage (due to the second hit in the combo having like 30 more potency) and the HP restore is likely useful.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Ytlaya posted:

I've been tanking with my DRK some more, and I'm now level 39. I did some sand tunnel dungeon I hadn't done before (because the MSQ didn't send me there I guess) and it went okay. I feel really squishy compared with other tanks I've played with, though I think that might just be due to wearing normal gear (I'm not sure how higher level people with good gear scale when level synced). I've generally been getting through things fine, though I get the impression the game also gives you a lot of leeway for these "lower level" dungeons.

This is part and parcel with DRK being a more "difficult" tanking class, as I recall - you have to do a bit more active management to feel less squishy - you don't have the built in defenses of a Paladin or the HP of a Warrior.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, I always thought the "btw you gotta raid to even see the conclusion to the expansion" stuff was super dumb (maybe that fixed that since, I dunno). I get that they want a reward for high end raiders, but....I'm not a high end raider and don't really care about that. WoW has some more sophisticated gimmicks for its quests that are pretty cool, but I just prefer the way FFXIV is done.

I got my second combo filled out. I'm guessing I should use that as long as I'm confident in my aggro? It looks like it does slightly more damage (due to the second hit in the combo having like 30 more potency) and the HP restore is likely useful.

Low level dark is more squishy, they just flat out have fewer cooldowns at nearly all levels. Also NQ gear is pretty much 5 ilvls worse than HQ gear, so if you are in NQ level 30 gear then you would definitely feel it, especially if any of that gear is dps gear disguised as tank gear.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I know people don't like MCH much, but I'm level 54 and loving it, awkward leveling be damned.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

I know people don't like MCH much, but I'm level 54 and loving it, awkward leveling be damned.

As someone who just leveled machinist, it just feels bad to play if you try to force order on it. I tried to make the buttons make sense while leveling it and it never felt good. Now when you’re like level 65+, everything feels loving cool.

The class is still, overall, poorly designed, especially if you plan to raid with it. But as someone who just wants to push buttons and spin around in the air while firing a gun, I can do that.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

If it says "Adventurer In Need: Tank" does that mean I'll keep getting the reward even after the first time I do the roulette? If so, that seems like a good source of company seals.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ytlaya posted:

If it says "Adventurer In Need: Tank" does that mean I'll keep getting the reward even after the first time I do the roulette? If so, that seems like a good source of company seals.

Yes. At max level it's also a great source of cracked clusters.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

The class is still, overall, poorly designed, especially if you plan to raid with it.
I do not, as I find raiding intensely unfun with any class.

Unrelated: I just realized the Gnath (is that the race or the tribe?) reuse the Urutan-Yensa models from FF12. I could never remember why they looked so familiar.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Yes, but if you really need more company seals, doing GC leves is probably faster. At first, you should spend all your seals on ranking up (other than buying your chocobo). I forget which rank it opens up, but eventually you will unlock Expert Delivery, which let's you trade dungeon gear for seals and that will be your primary source from then on.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Does anyone know when you “lock in” the adventurer in need bonus? Is it when you queue up, enter the dungeon, or finish it? I’ve had a few cases where I’ve queued up as healer in need and I noticed by the time my queue finished it had changed. This only applies to like 3am playing so idk if it’s even relevant :v:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I'm like 99% sure it's when you queue up.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I just noticed there's actually a thing on the HUD that lists currently engaged enemies and has a symbol indicating how much aggro I have with them (it was in an image someone linked me in this thread I think). Things suddenly became far more simple, now that I have proof that I basically never lose aggro after the initial pull and don't even really need to do my aggro combo.

It seems like I generally get about one level per dungeon. I'm level 42 now, and I figure once I reach 48 or so I can continue my Heavensward MSQ stuff with my Dark Knight.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ytlaya posted:

So I just noticed there's actually a thing on the HUD that lists currently engaged enemies and has a symbol indicating how much aggro I have with them (it was in an image someone linked me in this thread I think). Things suddenly became far more simple, now that I have proof that I basically never lose aggro after the initial pull and don't even really need to do my aggro combo.

It seems like I generally get about one level per dungeon. I'm level 42 now, and I figure once I reach 48 or so I can continue my Heavensward MSQ stuff with my Dark Knight.

Depends. Roulette, yes, it's generally one dungeon/trial per level. Doing just non-roulette-bonus dungeon runs won't net you a level unless the dungeon is of around your level.

Mormon Mother
Jan 23, 2008
Self diagnosed!

Ytlaya posted:

There are also threat meters for your current target underneath the class icons on your party list in the form of a very small bar. It's not super precise but it's a good starting point and will give you a general idea of your threat lead.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This only applies to the currently selected mob tho. Handy for bosses but not for packs much.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
DF checks to see if you're the adventurer in need when you queue and IIRC also when you enter the instance, and if your role has the bonus either time then you get it at the end. This means that multiple people in the same party can get the AIN bonus.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

EponymousMrYar posted:

To put this even more succinctly it's entirely possible that your number one expenditure of gil is going to be teleport fees adding up over your character's lifetime. Aside from leveling crafting/gathering classes (and even then you spend gil to save time with those) every gil sink in the game is optional.
You save time in the sense that there's opportunity cost to crafting turn-ins by yourself, but leve allowances are what's actually gated.

I'm just mentioning this since I'm grinding for honest gillionaire and it would be trivial if I had infinite leves. Instead I have to craft everything myself to squeeze out the most gil/leve and I'm almost at the point where I have to sell crystals before they cap like some sort of Chinese bot.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I noticed the threat bars for current target before noticing the symbols for other targets; the main thing I was uncertain about before was keeping track of my threat on other enemies, so it's good to finally have a source for that. It's also nice to be able to see all enemies' health bars and makes switching between them much easier.

Tashilicious posted:

Depends. Roulette, yes, it's generally one dungeon/trial per level. Doing just non-roulette-bonus dungeon runs won't net you a level unless the dungeon is of around your level.

Yeah, I've just been doing whatever the dungeon closest to my level is (after the day's roulette), which is fortunately very fast as a tank (usually no more than a 2 minute or so wait).

I just unlocked the ability to give items to my Grand Company for seals, which was a good way to clear some equipment out of my inventory, and I'm now a Sergeant First Class.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I only just realized the Eureka Anemos weapons are supposed to be parallels of the 12 Legendary Weapons from Final Fantasy V.

:suicide:

Huh, I didn't even think of that. Interesting thought.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Unrelated: I just realized the Gnath (is that the race or the tribe?) reuse the Urutan-Yensa models from FF12. I could never remember why they looked so familiar.

Yes, Gnath (race) are Urutan-Yensa with beetle heads.

Similarly, the Kojin in Stormblood use the same skeletal models as the Yagudo birds from FFXI. Interestingly enough, both the Kojin and Yagudo feature far eastern mannerisms and gravitate towards eastern jobs.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
I feel like you’re meant to lean on Dark Passenger at low levels as DRK. They get the soul eater combo fairly early, but the self heal really just doesn’t count for much. Abyssal Drain at... 54? that’s the first part of DRK’s scaling tankiness versus large groups.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Also, Ravana is literally a Big Bad Beetleborg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really loving wish FATE attunement for quests or dungeons were over already.

One hour waiting for a specific FATE to pop is not fun.