Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
LA to SD is about 240. I usually stop halfway for a soda or stretch, but not usually enough for an EV charge.

LA to SF is like 320, so that's a definite hour or two to recharge.

Then there's LA to Vegas, but the desert heat would probably wreck your range and lol at running dry in one of those one pump towns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
I think there’s an interesting flip in the speed you care about, especially in the West. Under 150 or so advertised miles of range mentally that’s a city car so stop/start, freeways at 55-65. Once you get past 200, now you’re in interstate between cities at 80+ mph range. It would be interesting to see published range estimates for 95 degrees outdoors, 80mph.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

BitBasher posted:

The same way I drive from Vegas to LA and back 270 miles one way without getting gas on the trip? Or the same to and from Ely, NV at 243 miles? I do each a couple times a year, 75+ all the way.

Yeah, so twice a year. Maybe 4 hours a year spent charging where you didn't have to before. Sure, comparing two electric vehicles of the same rough spec and price, you're going to choose the one that can do that run without a charge over the one that can't, but why would you choose neither based on such a minor thing? It's like the pickup truck argument. Would you not buy a sedan or whatever because you might want to buy some plywood or drywall once or twice a year? (I'm aware that vast numbers of people make this argument to justify buying a pickup truck, it still makes no logical sense).

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

BitBasher posted:

The same way I drive from Vegas to LA and back 270 miles one way without getting gas on the trip? Or the same to and from Ely, NV at 243 miles? I do each a couple times a year, 75+ all the way.

Whatever, I was just phrasing the post identically for sarcastic effect. Or did Hyundai specifically promise you that your specific Vegas trip would be covered? The car can do 300 miles, like they said, in realistic conditions. Maybe not your exact specific American conditions, but they didn't promise that. It might do the 243 one though. But if you do buy an EV and do those trips, you won't irrationally insist on not charging along the way, just like you wouldn't be angry about filling along the way if you happened to start with a low tank.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I’m doing 330 miles next weekend again. Twice actually since I want to come home too. Maybe done it 8 times this year already? Also setting aside numerous trips were in not going to find a charger without having to call around and find an RV Park to charge at and screw that when I can just fill up in BFE, and charge in the city.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

BitBasher posted:

If that’s your use case then don’t buy an EV.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Qwijib0 posted:

I think there’s an interesting flip in the speed you care about, especially in the West. Under 150 or so advertised miles of range mentally that’s a city car so stop/start, freeways at 55-65. Once you get past 200, now you’re in interstate between cities at 80+ mph range. It would be interesting to see published range estimates for 95 degrees outdoors, 80mph.

Actually using the Tesla supercharger network makes you realize that they’ve spaced the stations essentially so that you can skip every other station in a long range car, but you can still get wherever you want to go even with a short range model.

Available range on the better BEVs (Leaf is still a commuter car,) is now essentially equivalent to gas ICE cars, so it’s going to get interesting whether the OEs will go the Tesla route and invest in high-rate charging, or continue to increase available range to appeal to more customers that are right on the edge of the range envelope.

No matter where you move that goalpost to though, there will always be someone that needs more.

I counter by saying that some of you don’t need a BEV, you need a loving airplane. If I had to make multiple 100+mi drives per week on any kind of regular basis, I’d reconsider my life choices.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I drive 100 miles/day most days and do 250+ regularly. I’m not an idiot, though, and I know that I am an outlier. That’s why I don’t poo poo up this thread by claiming that my unique situation is somehow proof that EVs aren’t good enough.

People are idiots.

You drive to Vegas from SD all the time? Cool. Most people don’t do that.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I drive 40 miles a day and never get farther than 5 miles from my home.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Elephanthead posted:

I drive 40 miles a day and never get farther than 5 miles from my home.

What kind of gas mileage does that RV get?

Deathreaper
Mar 27, 2010
So I've driven the Model 3 for about a month now - put over 3,300 KM on the odometer. About half of the mileage is from my regular commute, and the other half is from longer road trips. I'm completely enamored by this car and how it drives. I kept my FRS for summer driving, but to be honest, I'm taking it out once a week while I do all of the other driving with the Model 3. I was expecting a comfortable and practical daily driver, but this thing just drives and handles so drat well. I just hope it's reliable in the long run. I had planned to replace the FRS with a Cayman GTS or 911 GTS in 5 years, but my experience with an EV has owned so hard and has completely changed my mindset - i'm having increasing difficulty believing I would want to purchase an ICE car again.

I think one of the the coolest thing you discover when driving an EV is the one pedal driving. You get better at it with practice and now I can practically drive my entire commute without touching the brake pedal - the act of braking on an ICE car feels pretty wasteful now. It just blows my mind that I drove 400 km today for $3 in electricity.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Deathreaper posted:

EV driving stuff..

It's nice isnt it?

I was just forced to drive the shared company car for a week... (KIA something...) I hated it. After driving a car that doesn't shift, doesnt make any engine noise, etc.., getting back in a normal ICE car is disappointing to say the least.

Granted my Volt is also a ICE, but only 25% of the time 😀.

I also never realized how much I used the Regen paddle on the Volt.. because I kept trying to use it on the company car.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Ola posted:

Whatever, I was just phrasing the post identically for sarcastic effect. Or did Hyundai specifically promise you that your specific Vegas trip would be covered? The car can do 300 miles, like they said, in realistic conditions. Maybe not your exact specific American conditions, but they didn't promise that. It might do the 243 one though. But if you do buy an EV and do those trips, you won't irrationally insist on not charging along the way, just like you wouldn't be angry about filling along the way if you happened to start with a low tank.

You are absolutely right, I was just responding that the distance questioned was actually something that happens to me probably 5 or 6 times a year.

It's really just a thought exercise though because I would be beyond shocked to find that there is a charging station on the way to Ely from Las Vegas, or even one in Ely at all for that matter.

EDIT: Apparently the closest supercharging station to Ely, NV is 119 miles away North in Wendover or 169 miles West Southwest to Tonapah. There is none in Ely. In fact, the entirety of Central Eastern Nevada is basically a giant hole. I didn't pick Ely because it was a black hole of charging, I actually go there at least 3 times a year.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

BitBasher posted:

In fact, the entirety of Central Eastern Nevada is basically a giant hole.

Wow, you're not kidding.

Give it a few years I guess.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
RCR reviews a Model 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SSzF6htank

Interesting points about how desipte the build quality (Holy gently caress my 96 WRX was better screwed together) the experience you take away is why owners love them.

(Just had to fact check the i-Pace fake engine noise thing. HAHAHAH WTF get out of there with that one)

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

RCR reviews a Model 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SSzF6htank

Interesting points about how desipte the build quality (Holy gently caress my 96 WRX was better screwed together) the experience you take away is why owners love them.

(Just had to fact check the i-Pace fake engine noise thing. HAHAHAH WTF get out of there with that one)

Meh, I actually liked the weird “dynamic” sound you can tell it to make. It’s an option you can turn on and off, and I don’t know that I’d use it all the time, but fundamentally it’s no more or less dishonest than having a car that does active noise cancellation of certain harmonics, or even someone who spends money on an exhaust that doesn’t really add any extra power. But you seem to be a pretty strong Tesla partisan, so complain away.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

drgitlin posted:

it’s no more or less dishonest than having a car that does active noise cancellation of certain harmonics, or even someone who spends money on an exhaust that doesn’t really add any extra power.

Not sure if dishonest is the quality that irks me the most. It has the aesthetics of fake vents or exhaust pipes, but it's actively, loudly annoying you all the time while driving. It's like the car's engine noise is "shaaaaaaame on yooouuu, you suuuuuck".

But since...

drgitlin posted:

It’s an option you can turn on and off

...it's not a problem at all.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

drgitlin posted:

But you seem to be a pretty strong Tesla partisan, so complain away.

So....pointing out blatantly lies being posted on Alt-Right blogs now called being strong Tesla partisan? Suuuuure buddy, whatever.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - the truth about Tesla is in between the fuckwit fanbois and the rear end in a top hat trolls and I'm equally happy to call out either as bullshit.

(Fake sounds on any car is as dumb as gently caress and a good exhaust isnt che..... wait what? Since when is THAT fake sound?)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

and a good exhaust isnt che..... wait what? Since when is THAT fake sound?)

That's not what he said. It adds fake power. People think loud cars are powerful because race cars don't have mufflers. In reality, a Nissan Micra with open headers sounds about as "good" as a Ferrari with a high dollar "performance" exhaust system. And the high dollar "performance" exhaust system is just as fast as the stock exhaust. It's the accompanying tune that adds power, while also making the car bust its emission compliance.

Besides, most performance cars these days have some form of sound modulation in the exhaust system where the quiet setting is for noise compliance and the loud setting is for literally no other reason than to provide a theatre of performance, since people stupidly think louder = faster. It would be just as fast on the quiet setting, if you could change only the sound setting but for the most part you change the fuel maps, boost settings, exhaust sound level etc all in one dramatic, theatrical "performance mode" selector. Fossil cars are filled with stupid, from bumper to bumper.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ola posted:

Fossil cars are filled with stupid, from bumper to bumper.

I reached the point a long time ago where I'm simply not impressed by sheer volume anymore, it's just annoying. I don't mind a slightly louder-than-normal exhaust if it sounds good and melodious, like a stock Maserati for instance. Aftermarket pipes on just about anything can just go suck a tailpipe. Sure, if it's a race car on race track, go ahead and make some noise, but for normal driving, a stock Quattroporte is the most I'm OK with, and only because it sounds so goddamn sexy.

A well-tuned exhaust at a reasonable sound level is so much more appealing than "more louder more powah". Give me a low V8 rumble at idle and well-portioned subtly muscular roar at full power any day, over an all-out GLASSPACK IN YOUR FACE 24-7 NO INDOOR VOICE SHOUTING MATCH IN A PACKED MACDONALD'S assault. Or Bentley levels, this is just about right for a car that still sounds powerful, without being stupid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa7yVx3M6Yw&t=46s

I'm especially looking at you, Ferrari and Lamborghini. Shut up your goddamn shouty noise machines, please. We can hear your fancy engines with a lot more cylinders than an economy car just fine, they would sound just as sexy at lower volumes, so put some goddamn mufflers on them.

It's a bit like the contrast between a jump scare popcorn-muncher and a proper horror film that gets under your skin. One is just startling and raises your heartbeat for a few seconds, the other gets under your skin and evokes something in you.

I used to think electric cars were boring, but I've definitely come to appreciate the quiet at normal driving, and the low whine from the motors under full acceleration. Understated power is cool.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jul 30, 2018

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

:chord:

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Ah yes, the July statistics I’d put a whole lot of faith in given that Tesla hasn’t actually released their numbers and it’s still July

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Is it just fortunate numerology that the Tesla number is a round thousand?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Agronox posted:

Ah yes, the July statistics I’d put a whole lot of faith in given that Tesla hasn’t actually released their numbers and it’s still July

no they sold exactly 16,000 cars on the dot, what, do you think this is made up or something???

also reminder that the model 3 is not a luxury car by any accepted definition

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

no they sold exactly 16,000 cars on the dot, what, do you think this is made up or something???

also reminder that the model 3 is not a luxury car by any accepted definition

Neither are half those Audi/BMW/Mercedes models, and a handful of the rest of them either.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Agronox posted:

Ahh yes, Forbes and Statista, clearly in on the Tesla cabal.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I’m sort of a Tesla apologist but dude... That’s one idiotic chart.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

Sagebrush posted:

not a luxury car by any accepted definition

Ah, Automotive Insanity, where Tesla's $60k premium sedan is not a luxury car by ANY accepted definition. Apparently also Audi, BMW, and MB are also not luxury cars.

That chart is stupid because the numbers are made up, but quotes like this are the reason Tesla fans get a chip on our shoulder.

Your just grasping at anything at this point to make the Model 3 some massive failure despite all available evidence. Feel free to criticize Tesla for lovely scheduling, production delays and even initial car build quality, whatever. But this "just make up whatever" poo poo is getting old.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

eyebeem posted:

I’m sort of a Tesla apologist but dude... That’s one idiotic chart.

I'm probably even worse than you, but comparing absolute sales figures between a backlogged new release that's ramping up production vs decades old models that sell at a steady trickle is very stupid indeed.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Based on actual June sales, the Tesla 3 would come in 5th on that list. The BMW, MB, Audi, and Lexus groups all out-sold the 3.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m not a car guy, what is the accepted definition of “luxury car”?

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Subjunctive posted:

Well, it’s subjunctive.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

There is none. It's a free-for-all adjective you can use for all sorts of things such as upselling expensive cars you like, criticizing the wasteful habits of car owners you dislike or juggling with car categories to make statistics come out in your favor.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Deteriorata posted:

Based on actual June sales, the Tesla 3 would come in 5th on that list. The BMW, MB, Audi, and Lexus groups all out-sold the 3.

this chart is speculatively assuming that most of the june manufacturing will be delivered in July. It's a dumb chart based on wild speculation about Tesla's logistics to deliver car 200K in July.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

I wonder how many bmws they could sell in july if they hyped up an entirely new model for an entire year and artificially held them back on purpose in june

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Ola posted:

Wow, you're not kidding.

Give it a few years I guess.
lol that part of Nevada is the most desolate land in the country. White Pine County, which makes up most of central eastern NV and includes Ely, has a total population of 10,000 people and a density of about 1 person per square mile.

There’s no reason to have a bunch of superchargers there.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 30, 2018

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

spandexcajun posted:

Ah, Automotive Insanity, where Tesla's $60k premium sedan is not a luxury car by ANY accepted definition. Apparently also Audi, BMW, and MB are also not luxury cars.

That chart is stupid because the numbers are made up, but quotes like this are the reason Tesla fans get a chip on our shoulder.

Your just grasping at anything at this point to make the Model 3 some massive failure despite all available evidence. Feel free to criticize Tesla for lovely scheduling, production delays and even initial car build quality, whatever. But this "just make up whatever" poo poo is getting old.

luxury cars are luxurious. they are finely finished, comfortable, well-appointed, and reliable. building a car to those standards usually makes it expensive.

the model 3 is an expensive car with an interior comparable to a corolla, orangepeel in the paint, panel gaps that are uneven across a single panel, and cars reported coming out of the factory broken.

bawfuls posted:

lol that part of Nevada is the most desolate land in the country. White Pine County, which makes up most of central eastern NV and includes Ely, has a total population of 10,000 people and a density of about 1 person per square mile.

also the center of that area is literally area 51

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
bmws have had horrible orange peel paint problems before so if that's the standard...

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

luxury cars are luxurious. they are finely finished, comfortable, well-appointed, and reliable. building a car to those standards usually makes it expensive.

Agreed on almost all points except where bolded. Nobody ever accused Maserati of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

bawfuls posted:

For any given fuel type to be viable in all cases, fuel replenishment centers (sorry for the awkward term, need to be generic here) have to be anywhere that might be a midpoint on a trip, not just where people are.

If we want to come close to a primarily EV world, the existence of a gas station shows need for a charging station that could provide equal throughput. (Obs not right away, don't go build a 30 stall charging center on route 66 and come to me when you go broke before demand builds (or construction finishes)).

• Locked thread