Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kullik posted:

Something i have a huge problem with is breakfast, i dont get up early enough to make anything at home really, cause i rely on public transport and have a job that starts me fairly early some days. Would those meal replacement things actually be a viable alternative?

For Huel at least, it supposedly contains 100% of your daily requirements for everything. It's protein (from peas and brown rice), carbs (from oats) and fat (from seeds and coconut oil) and then a bunch of vitamins and other supplements are added. So yeah, assuming they're not bullshitting, it's a completely viable and healthy meal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Kullik posted:

Something i have a huge problem with is breakfast, i dont get up early enough to make anything at home really, cause i rely on public transport and have a job that starts me fairly early some days. Would those meal replacement things actually be a viable alternative?

Skipping breakfast won't kill you, if it's difficult to fit one in.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Kullik posted:

Just cut out breakfast. Human didn't start eating breakfast until Industrial Revolution.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Kullik posted:

You don't need to "make" anything. Put a slab of cheese on bread, open a can of tuna and spoon it directly into your mouth, etc. There's lots of ways to eat a quick breakfast without needing a meal replacement.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
just eat two spoons of peanut butter

it's like 500 calories

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
Breakfast is by far the easiest meal to cut out, you're already drinking coffee to suppress your appetite. It can take a few days/weeks to train your body that you don't need breakfast but you will eventually stop getting hungry in the morning. Makes it a lot easier to stay in your calorie goals.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Zzulu posted:

it's like 500 calories

Reading the label is the best part about CICO honestly, I have probably eaten a full days worth of calories straight out a jar as a 'healthy snack'.

I switched to real peanut butter, which is still calorie dense but the only ingredients are peanuts and salt. https://www.amazon.com/Teddie-Natur...s=peanut+butter Reasonable price.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

if you want to eat a healthy breakfast but don't have time in the morning, set yourself up with some overnight oatmeal in a to-go container. Just grab it and go!

recipe-

1 cup oats (instant or normal, not steel cut)
1.5-2 cups liquid (more is usually better) (water, milk, almond milk, soy milk, whatever)
fixins (can be peanut butter, frozen fruit, whatever you like. I personally go for 1 tbsp chia seeds, 1 tbsp ground flax, and a cup of frozen berries, maybe 2 tbsp peanut butter if I'm not gonna eat for a while)

mix everything together in a to-go container and stick it in the fridge. Tomorrow morning you'll have oatmeal that's ready to eat, and IMO tastes better than traditional oatmeal (partially because the chia seeds add a nice texture). You can also add a scoop of protein powder if you like.

Note: this will produce roughly 2 servings worth, so what I'll do is mix all the dry stuff and put them in separate containers, pour my liquid into one container and mix/leave in the fridge overnight, and then I have another one on standby. Which is even better, really, because then you can make enough servings of dry ingredients to last a whole week (or even longer since they're dry and won't go bad), put them in a container, and then portion them out. I'd recommend not adding the liquid until the night before because it'll taste better.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jul 30, 2018

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Zzulu posted:

it's like 500 calories

depends on the spoon

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

Kullik posted:

That's been a problem for me as well. Some weeks I make a big batch of oatmeal on Sunday so I can microwave it most mornings. Another thing I've done is take a potato/sweet/potato/multiple small potatoes and pop it in the oven at 200-250 overnight, though I haven't hit the sweet spot because a few times I couldn't tell if it was overcooked or dehydrated.

An overnight Crock-Pot setup might do you some good, or sous vide if you can afford ~200 for the Anova and a big straight-faced bin for the water. I should figure out what would make a good Crock-Pot breakfast with minimal cleanup.

Meal replacement would also work, maybe you can supplement it with some roughage like raw spinach, crackers with canned tuna/salmon that you mixed up in a big glass tupperware

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Has anyone here had to cut any of their overweight friends out of their life while dieting? I’ve had one trainer recommend it to me in order to denormalize fatness and overeating. Seems kind of harsh and I’m pretty sure this trainer is crazy (he’s also a fanatical paleo dieter because apparently I shouldn’t put anything in my mouth a monkey wouldn’t but makes an exception for rice because “Asians love the stuff and they never get fat”).

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah....uh, I would find a new trainer

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kullik posted:

Hard boiled eggs and oatmeal mf. :munch:

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Bardeh posted:

Yeah....uh, I would find a new trainer

Not my trainer thankfully, just a guy I met who calls himself one. He also started his own school of tai chi because he was convinced everyone else has it wrong.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Has anyone here had to cut any of their overweight friends out of their life while dieting? I’ve had one trainer recommend it to me in order to denormalize fatness and overeating. Seems kind of harsh and I’m pretty sure this trainer is crazy (he’s also a fanatical paleo dieter because apparently I shouldn’t put anything in my mouth a monkey wouldn’t but makes an exception for rice because “Asians love the stuff and they never get fat”).

I wasn't able to get under 200 lbs until I ended my relationship with my ex girlfriend, diet of course not being the reason for the breakup. I guess I don't have enough willpower to change my diet while living with someone else with a different diet. I find people who can lose an impressive amount of weight while still living in a home filled with food guaranteed to make them fat pretty amazing.

Scrotum Modem fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 30, 2018

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

ProperGanderPusher posted:

this guy sounds like a GTA character

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
I’ve tried eating less snacks over the day and it’s paying off.

Bowl of shredded wheat and almond milk for breakfast. Just wasn’t feeling my normal yogurt with fruit this morning.

For lunch I had a bowl of black bean soup and some smoked chicken I did over the weekend.

After work, hitting the gym.

Making pad Thai when I get home.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

feelix posted:

Sure as long as you don't use the calorie counter readout to justify eating something extra

I'm going to partially disagree with this guy right here!

First, the part I agree on: don't use the calorie counter readout on pretty much any device, because they tend to be horribly inaccurate. Instead, use an online calculator, which tend to be more accurate. Measure the time from when you hit your target heart rate until the start of your cool down. Then take the result from the calculator and subtract 10% for margin of error. You'll almost certainly find that if your calorie counter readout says 500 cal, your calculator is more like 300 cal.

Now, the part that I disagree on: do eat as many calories as you burned. Or, rather, keep your spreadsheet balanced. If you're aiming for two pounds a week, you're at a 1000 calorie deficit, right? So if your BMR is 2800 cal, you're eating 1800 cal on a day you don't exercise. Well, if you exercise for 300 calories on any given day, you should eat 2100 cal in order to keep an even two pounds per week.

I can hear the screaming shitgibbons already, but just ignore them.

Why not take the extra weight loss? A couple of reasons: first, keeping the deficit uniform is easier than dealing with more hunger, especially if hunger is an issue for you. Secondly, doctors pretty much everywhere suggest you not lose more than two pounds per week (after the first week, of course) to prevent excess muscle loss. You like your muscle, right?

I would also suggest against doing 1000 calories of exercise in two hours on a calorie-restricted diet. Unless you haven't already burned through your glycogen stores, you're almost certainly going to lose muscle along with the fat. That's not ideal.

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Piggy Smalls posted:

Had my wife tell my daughter that daddy used to have big muscles but now has small muscles. She tried backtracking but the damage was done. I just turned 50 and had a heart attack 5 years ago but am determined to somehow someway get to where I was if it literally kills me.

I'm actually rooting for this guy. Keep it up dude.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
Or, keep a 700 calorie deficit and let the exercise be its own health habit. Hunger is not one-to-one with calorie deficit, although it's good to exercise before eating because you're making space in your glycogen stores or whatever. Hunger can be addressed by making the typical food less rewarding and obtaining reward from other sources, including exercise.

I think this is different from eating normally planned meals that are intended for the maximum allowable weight loss under sedentary conditions, then exercising, then inserting a snack to prevent excess weight loss.

Stinky_Pete fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 30, 2018

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

runupon cracker posted:

I'm going to partially disagree with this guy right here!

First, the part I agree on: don't use the calorie counter readout on pretty much any device, because they tend to be horribly inaccurate. Instead, use an online calculator, which tend to be more accurate. Measure the time from when you hit your target heart rate until the start of your cool down. Then take the result from the calculator and subtract 10% for margin of error. You'll almost certainly find that if your calorie counter readout says 500 cal, your calculator is more like 300 cal.

Now, the part that I disagree on: do eat as many calories as you burned. Or, rather, keep your spreadsheet balanced. If you're aiming for two pounds a week, you're at a 1000 calorie deficit, right? So if your BMR is 2800 cal, you're eating 1800 cal on a day you don't exercise. Well, if you exercise for 300 calories on any given day, you should eat 2100 cal in order to keep an even two pounds per week.

I can hear the screaming shitgibbons already, but just ignore them.

Why not take the extra weight loss? A couple of reasons: first, keeping the deficit uniform is easier than dealing with more hunger, especially if hunger is an issue for you. Secondly, doctors pretty much everywhere suggest you not lose more than two pounds per week (after the first week, of course) to prevent excess muscle loss. You like your muscle, right?

I would also suggest against doing 1000 calories of exercise in two hours on a calorie-restricted diet. Unless you haven't already burned through your glycogen stores, you're almost certainly going to lose muscle along with the fat. That's not ideal.

Yes this guy who pre-emptively insulted anyone who disagrees with him is probably correct, that's how people who are knowledgeable and correct usually behave.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

feelix posted:

Yes this guy who pre-emptively insulted anyone who disagrees with him is probably correct, that's how people who are knowledgeable and correct usually behave.

Oh no, that's definitely based on historical knowledge. My favorite retort is the report on one guy who didn't eat anything for nearly a year and didn't die.

Plus, you know, literally legions of doctors agree with me.

edit: I would think that somebody with your question mark results itt would be less critical of somebody else being insulting

Tinestram fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 30, 2018

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

runupon cracker posted:

Oh no, that's definitely based on historical knowledge. My favorite retort is the report on one guy who didn't eat anything for nearly a year and didn't die.

Plus, you know, literally legions of doctors agree with me.

edit: I would think that somebody with your question mark results itt would be less critical of somebody else being insulting

You think an online calculator can calculate calories burned within 10%.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
And you should use that result to adjust your diet

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Yeah if you're regularly exercising you should adjust your calorie intake and figure out what amount makes you lose weight at a healthy rate. If you just worked out one random time for longer than usual you don't have to go to an online calorie counter to figure out how much extra you should eat so your muscles don't dissolve from your body

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Not only quite easily eating more than you burned but also maintaining an unhealthy mindset where food is a reward

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Inept posted:

Yeah if you're regularly exercising you should adjust your calorie intake and figure out what amount makes you lose weight at a healthy rate. If you just worked out one random time for longer than usual you don't have to go to an online calorie counter to figure out how much extra you should eat so your muscles don't dissolve from your body
Correct, you should adjust your calorie intake by maintaining a consistent diet and exercise routine and tracking your weight on a timescale of weeks.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Attempting to figure out how many calories you burned in one single particular workout has absolutely no place in any reasonable weight loss regimen

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Glad we are walking off dinner so we can get some ice cream later

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Over There posted:

Glad we are walking off dinner so we can get some ice cream later

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Fat is live tissue, too. Has caloric requirements. Identify your target weight's caloric intake, get a little exercise now and again. You'll get there.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

feelix posted:

Attempting to figure out how many calories you burned in one single particular workout has absolutely no place in any reasonable weight loss regimen

do you burn all your calories by being angry all the time

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

So I used to be a chef at a Japanese restaurant and decided to start making more exercise-centric Japanese recipes that I find online and hear from colleagues. Here's one that I posted elsewhere that's very healthy, filling, customizable, and simple, and can be cooked in large batches.

quote:

Made chanko nabe yesterday, which is a Japanese stew traditionally eaten by sumo wrestlers in massive quantities. It's highly nutritious and filling, and is typically eaten with rice. I made it vegetarian, but threw in some leftover soup dumplings after the fact.

An easy way to make vegan dashi that is still umami and full-flavored is to replace the bonito flakes/dried anchovies with dried shiitake mushrooms, and to use a mixture of red and white miso, along with a dash of soy sauce.

In my recipe I used the following ingredients:

Soup base-
~6 liters of water
~1/2 cup red + white miso
~half a sheet of paper-sized piece of kombu (rinsed thoroughly)
2 dried shiitake mushrooms (rinsed thoroughly)
soy sauce to taste
pink salt to taste and to add minerality

Stew-
1 forearm-sized daikon cut into half moons
1 large carrot cut diagonally
half a napa cabbage, cored and cut into thick chunks
1 block of firm tofu, cut into 8 slices and seasoned well with kosher salt
1 package of shiitake mushrooms without the stems
1/4 cup dried seaweed
1 package konnyaku noodles, parboiled
1 bunch of scallions cut into diagonal chunks

To make the soup base, put the kombu, dried shiitake mushrooms, and water into a large crockpot over high heat. Just before the water begins to boil, reduce heat to medium and remove the kombu and mushrooms. If you boil kombu it will make the dashi bitter. At this point the dashi should taste like the ocean. Add the miso paste and dissolve in the dashi, then add soy sauce and pink salt to taste.

Then add the scallions, daikon, and carrot. After a few minutes, before the daikon/carrot is soft, add the rest of the ingredients except for the cabbage and seaweed. After a few more minutes, when the daikon/carrot is soft, add the remaining ingredients and cook until the cabbage is soft but still somewhat crunchy. Season additionally with soy sauce and shichimi (optional) to taste. Serve over or alongside white rice.

Makes roughly 10 servings.

I currently have 3 quart-sized containers of this stew in my freezer and another 3 in my fridge. Each one has roughly 2 servings.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

runupon cracker posted:

do you burn all your calories by being angry all the time

Thanks for making your lack of credibility completely clear so that nobody is tricked into listening to your lovely advice

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i have burned 29,305 calories on the bike this month so far

that equals 8.37 lbs of fat or 188 beers

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

feelix posted:

yea, do the exercise so you look and feel better, not to earn cookie tokens.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Tumble posted:

yea, do the exercise so you look and feel better, not to earn cookie tokens.

until you're at your target weight, then come to the running thread to see people put away 4,000 calories a day in nachos and poptarts while maintaining a 150 lb frame

Cinaedus Defututus
Mar 21, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

numberoneposter posted:

i have burned 29,305 calories on the bike this month so far

that equals 8.37 lbs of fat or 188 beers

you don't burn all fat on a bike, or any cardio method. fat burning zone is a myth.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

feelix posted:

Thanks for making your lack of credibility completely clear so that nobody is tricked into listening to your lovely advice

I hate to break this to you, but lots of people have listened to my advice and seek it regularly. That can happen when you intentionally lose a third of your body weight and keep it off for several years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

runupon cracker posted:

I hate to break this to you, but lots of people have listened to my advice and seek it regularly. That can happen when you intentionally lose a third of your body weight and keep it off for several years.

I hate to break this to you, but you're probably doing harm because the things you're suggesting are stupid and the fact that they worked for one anecdote (you) doesn't mean anything.