Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Rumda posted:

If I could afford to pay for someone else's avatar you'd think old, I would buy myself one.

I can't quite figure out how to purchase someone else an avatar cert. To show my appreciation I wanted to buy you a gift certificate to use yourself but I can't find the option. :( Only "Custom Title".

Bongo Bill posted:

Were you thinking of this one? No Zizek in there, but there is Foucault.

Yes that's the one, I misremembered who was in it. Part of it seems silly from what we know of the main plot, but then Shadows of Mordor games brought us Celembrimbor and then I was like, "hrm. :thinking:"

I'll pm you my reply, since I wanna post less about this here for the time being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Brony Hunter posted:

this is almost as bad as Goblins talk, guys

What about Goblins Goblins talk?

(Unlike the unary Goblins, Goblins Goblins is a good webcomic about sad goblins.)

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
You should consider not posting about it ever again.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Raenir Salazar posted:

I can't quite figure out how to purchase someone else an avatar cert. To show my appreciation I wanted to buy you a gift certificate to use yourself but I can't find the option. :( Only "Custom Title".

Custom Title is the one you want; you pay $5 and it generates a code for the gift certificate that you have to manually pass along by either PM or e-mail or what have you.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

W.T. Fits posted:

Custom Title is the one you want; you pay $5 and it generates a code for the gift certificate that you have to manually pass along by either PM or e-mail or what have you.

Thanks.

Edit: I think I'm willing to purchase an additional 4 avatar/title changes to anyone who wants them who regularly participates in this thread, just pm me!

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 29, 2018

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Oh, Belkar is definitely going to die somewhere in the webcomic, I just don't think it'll be here. Partially because there's little reason he wouldn't get resurrected alongside Durkon, and partially because Rich has explicitly stated that he's a protagonist of The Order of the Stick and he'll be a main character until the end, even if he dies or leaves the Order. Someone suggested that he could land a solid CG afterlife for dying heroically in dwarven lands, and choosing to peace out like Shojo, which I grant is entirely possible. It's also narratively satisfying, because Shojo was the one who kicked off his redemption arc in the first place.

I'm mostly just suggesting he won't have a sacrifice redemption because I personally hate that trope, and I like Belkar's arc much more than any redemption story I can think of off-hand. Most of the time, it's just a villain turning good at the eleventh hour, and then dying instead of having to deal with the all the people they've hurt and the long-term consequences of their actions.

I don't remember the exact wording of the prophecy right now, so I dunno if it could be played off as "Belkar gets Six Feet Under'd in the epilogue", that would be a possible ending too. It's just that this moment seems really fitting for a death - I can't see Durkon not coming back either -, especially with the parallels of "don't let your worst day define you" and Belkar having slowly worked his way out of pure murderous rear end in a top hat. Also, V kinda feels like the one that'll take the long-rear end route towards redemption, Belkar isn't really redeeming himself, he's more...growing up.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

There's also the whole "Belkar gets got and turns into free-willed undead" thing, though that is looking less likely right now.

Mad Jaqk
Jun 2, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'm pretty sure Belkar won't bite it for good in this book. I think he might even skip the entire trope of redemption through sacrifice and just continue to gradually become a more decent person until he ends up getting dying an entirely ordinary Chaotic Neutral adventurer's death.

I like the idea, but I'm not sure there's time--at some point while strategizing, didn't Roy say that Belkar had at most 7 weeks left? I can't find the link, unfortunately.

Edit: Found it

Mad Jaqk fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 29, 2018

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Dias posted:

I don't remember the exact wording of the prophecy right now

Belkar will draw his last breath - ever - before the end of the year.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Yeah, Rich could always play around with the wording and that's kinda a prophecy thing anyway but I don't see him living much longer.

Mad Jaqk
Jun 2, 2013
There are a few other off-hand references (that Belkar shouldn't invest in his IRA, that he should really enjoy his next birthday cake) that make it harder, though not impossible, for it to be a dumb wording-based twist.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Who What Now posted:

You should consider not posting ever again.
And by you I mean everyone.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Wait, Belkar just needs to draw a picture of breath and then never do it again. Prophecy fulfilled!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The Oracle is lazy enough that he didn't bother to check if Roy would actually remember the entirety of their encounter when saying what he would or would not remember; so there is some element of salt on top of the fact that some of their prophecies are a tad unreliable in the narration outside of their Exact-Wording when speaking in "Oracle Speak".

At the end of the day, Rich probably has something good planned, this moment seems like a good time for it to be "It", and if it isn't now, it's going to be a little while again probably. Rich seems to delight in making every moment feel like "It".

Another comedy option on top of the free willed Undead thing, Belkar will draw his last breath, it clearly leaves open the door to a certain other type of shenanigan, either a "Not Belkar" replacement in the form of "Whistlem Sweettwig", at the next Inn; or something along the lines of "A Balkar who turns good might as well be a dead Belkar"? That last one while thematic, doesn't par well with either Durkon's "You're always you on your worst day choosing whether to make the next day your worst day or your best day" which I think we can either take to be something along the lines of a immutable theme of the story, or with the unreliable but still not dismiss-able throw away comments about Belkar.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
My favorite off-the-wall comedy option is still time travel. Belkar will keep on living for a long-rear end time, but his last breath will be when he travels back in time to help out the order somehow, perhaps in the guise of a wizened Gandalf-type character, and then biting it.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I hope Rich is okay.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I hope Rich is okay because this thread isn't.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Colonel Cool posted:

I hope Rich is okay because this thread isn't.

The thread is you!

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

I also don't really think "religious symbols are offensive to the religious" is inherently true. How many times do atheists have regularly more knowledge of scripture than the religious? As long as the author puts in the research and understands the "lore" then it can add additional meaning to the work.

Fair enough; I may be over-generalizing. Meaningless symbolism has long been a personal peeve for me. That said, I do appreciate when someone *uses* parallels to make a good point: Brows Held High has an excellent episode about Superman which uses Kant, Nietzsche, and Superman/God comparisons to explain the shift in how we understand and discuss morality and how it led to the awfulness of Zach Snyder's Man of Steel.

Anyway, what's going to happen if Belkar hits the anti-life shield? Will he bounce off, or pass through it in writhing agony and land dead at Durkula's feet?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

TheAceOfLungs posted:

Anyway, what's going to happen if Belkar hits the anti-life shield? Will he bounce off, or pass through it in writhing agony and land dead at Durkula's feet?

He's standing on it already. As far as living creatures are concerned, it's just a wall.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

He's standing on it already.

Huh. I interpreted that panel as him jumping toward it.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
e: disregard, that'll teach me to hit refresh

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Dias posted:

I don't remember the exact wording of the prophecy right now, so I dunno if it could be played off as "Belkar gets Six Feet Under'd in the epilogue", that would be a possible ending too. It's just that this moment seems really fitting for a death - I can't see Durkon not coming back either -, especially with the parallels of "don't let your worst day define you" and Belkar having slowly worked his way out of pure murderous rear end in a top hat. Also, V kinda feels like the one that'll take the long-rear end route towards redemption, Belkar isn't really redeeming himself, he's more...growing up.

There's still clearly the final gate to deal with - an entire book left to go. I can't see one of those two dead for that entire book, much less two of them.

The best timeline we have left says that there's still roughly 20 days left until the Southern New Year, which is Belkar's deadline. Not to mention (DPtP bonus strip) he still has to save Hinjo's life once more.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

There's still clearly the final gate to deal with - an entire book left to go. I can't see one of those two dead for that entire book, much less two of them.

The best timeline we have left says that there's still roughly 20 days left until the Southern New Year, which is Belkar's deadline. Not to mention (DPtP bonus strip) he still has to save Hinjo's life once more.

About that spoilerwould stopping Hel from ending the world count?

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
It would be such an anti-climax but it would be hilarious if Belkar doesn't die, and it's revealed the the Oracle was just seriously loving with Roy all along.

I mean, from what we know of the Oracle he definitely seems like the kind of jerkass who would just give people foreboding prophecies and enjoy watching them squirm.

Massive, monumental anti-climax, and prob would play against Belkar's arc of gaming the system by breaking into a non-CE afterlife through heroic sacrifice.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Time-travel shenanigans: Future Old-Belkar shows up to die at the stroke of midnight, New Year's Eve.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

ZearothK posted:

I hope Rich is okay.

Would you like a Jungian analysis on his situation?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Kalas posted:

It's like Fist of the North Star, except with fancy hats and imaginary friends.
Only good post from the derail.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Do you guys remember when we thought O'Chul was the best example of a Lawful Goody-two-shoes?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

rocketrobot posted:

Do you guys remember when we thought O'Chul was the best example of a Lawful Goody-two-shoes?

They're both pretty perfect, in different ways

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

NameHurtBrain posted:

It would be such an anti-climax but it would be hilarious if Belkar doesn't die, and it's revealed the the Oracle was just seriously loving with Roy all along.

not that i completely agree with you but it is noteworthy that this is the one prophecy that the oracle gave the order that wasn’t paid for

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Nenonen posted:

Would you like a Jungian analysis on his situation?

Belkar is Id, Roy is ego, and elan is superego

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
O'Chul is the best example of rolling a 20 for your CON and somehow talking your DM into letting you invent a Feat that lets you actually go beyond that.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Dias posted:

O'Chul is the best example of rolling a 20 for your CON and somehow talking your DM into letting you invent a Feat that lets you actually go beyond that.

you have to be REALLY good at dice to roll a 20 on a 3d6 :rolldice:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If anyone can pull it off.

When Belkar dies, it's not gonna happen after an alignment shift, cause then he wouldn't go to hell and get into adventures with Sabine and the Directors.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I’m thinking it was a trick by the Oracle, because Roy needs to think that Belkar is going to die before the adventure is over in order for the “true future” to play out.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Brony Hunter posted:

this is almost as bad as Goblins talk, guys

It's worse. Goblins is less embarrassing

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Regalingualius posted:

I’m thinking it was a trick by the Oracle, because Roy needs to think that Belkar is going to die before the adventure is over in order for the “true future” to play out.

Here's the thing, Roy hasn't noticed or cared about belkars redemption arc.

The biggest tragedy is for him to never know what was done for him.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

you have to be REALLY good at dice to roll a 20 on a 3d6 :rolldice:

Dwarf get a +2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

O Chul is a human, and they received no stat adjustments in 3.5