Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

cougar cub posted:

That graphic for slipgate mode is so loving amateurish

https://quake.bethesda.net/en/news/1YVC3dFnGcWusAMOcygW4S

just looks like concept art

but no respawns is cool ...Keel however is not :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I was kind of hoping for CTF to have Runes and grappling hooks.

Also I was hoping to have to manually bind a mouse key to +hook every time I played.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Hey! You guys love Clan Arena right? Well good news for you, we got something like Clan Arena, except it isn't!

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

what is this, reddit?

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

A.o.D. posted:

Also I was hoping to have to manually bind a mouse key to +hook every time I played.

Dev said the goal for CTF is to include secondary map control aspects and specifically called out Runes as the idea they were looking to replicate.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Hell yeah 3WaveCTF.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

hawowanlawow posted:

a few more years of bumbling around maps, stoned out of my gourd, hoping to see the weapon I want in front of me, and I will be on top of that poo poo

for now I just look at the little timer on top and stick around when it's full

ya same

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BattleHamster posted:

dev stream @ https://www.twitch.tv/quake

Edit: Here's the recap - https://quake.bethesda.net/en/news/1YVC3dFnGcWusAMOcygW4S

Nothing super exciting, was hoping for them to show off Death Knight but I guess they are saving that for QuakeCon.

Also CTF seems like its still in the super early stages of development. They changed the 3D model of the sacrifice soul to a flag and... thats it? They talked some about how they were designing it but didn't have much in terms of specifics.

quote:

What about making (insert item here) available in the store?

Every Thursday, we have new featured deals on Champion skins, vanity items, and cosmetic weapons. Players have been asking, “When can I get this weapon?”—we know you want that Plasma Gun—and it is our general intention that unless a weapon is for a special event (such as the Quakecon 2018 Heavy Machine Gun!), you WILL eventually have an opportunity to acquire it in the Platinum store! Who knows, maybe even sooner than you think?

You bastards

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

A.o.D. posted:

One of the upcoming characters has the grappling hook as their special, if the leaks are any indication.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
All my matches so far are absolutely laughable one-sided roflstomps, whether on the winning or losing side.

I still don't understand why the reset happened, I felt like I was evenly matched in almost all my Duels.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Well that was lucky

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
take solace old heads, my k/d is basically the same as it was 20 years ago.

1.0 :smith:

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

All my matches so far are absolutely laughable one-sided roflstomps, whether on the winning or losing side.

I still don't understand why the reset happened, I felt like I was evenly matched in almost all my Duels.

All the TDM games I got yesterday were slaughter fests with me and one dude on the other team curb stomping a bunch of new people like a third of our level, was odd.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

got sick of waiting 5+ minutes for TDM yesterday 3 separate times (9 pm on the west coast) so i just claimed my shards and played warframe instead

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

why don't you guys just play FFA?

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

hawowanlawow posted:

I do as well, I mix up FFA and TDM.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

hawowanlawow posted:

too scared/bad :ohdear:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jose Mengelez posted:

take solace old heads, my k/d is basically the same as it was 20 years ago.

1.0 :smith:

:ssh: k/d is entirely relative to who you're fighting. Its zero sum.

I don't get why people talk about k/d like that, but it happens all the time.

You could be a better player now than 20 years ago and have a lower k/d if you're playing with better opponents. Its nonsense. K/d is only effective at ranking the people who were in that match at that time.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

boar guy posted:

?

It's less pressure because FFA is always a bit of a cluster gently caress. Don't go into FFA expecting to win.

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010

boar guy posted:

FFA feels a lot less pressure than TDM since basically every encounter tends to have people's attention divided between more than 1 enemy, which I infinitely prefer to getting ganged up 1v2 or more in TDM

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

hawowanlawow posted:

I've barely touched FFA, I play like 90% duel, 9% 2 vs 2. I don't think the other modes are that fun, the first thing that springs to mind is playing on Shipment in CoD4, with 8 people instead of 2. Just a bit too much.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

*shrug* i dunno ive just never liked 'kill all the other people on the map' styles. i like a team to work with.

its no big deal, i already paid for the game so they got me, i just want it to take off and it feels like its struggling because of stuff like waiting 5 minutes in primetime for 7 other people to play with

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I think it's more of a clusterfuck with teams. You can have three people all using their abilities on you sometimes. Overwatch has that problem, too.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I'm split between FFA being frustrating when people keep stealing your kills (where in TDM if you get kill stealed it still helps your team overall, assists aren't bad) and TDM being frustrating because I always have 1 or 2 teammates with 0 kills who are DC'd half the round so its a 2v4.

Instagib is by far the most fun and I'm gonna keep bitching about not having an instagib playlist until we get one :colbert: Sick of having to queue for FFA and everybody votes deathmatch instead.

We desperately need some objectives beyond kills, though. CTF can't get here soon enough.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Zaphod42 posted:

:ssh: k/d is entirely relative to who you're fighting. Its zero sum.

I don't get why people talk about k/d like that, but it happens all the time.

You could be a better player now than 20 years ago and have a lower k/d if you're playing with better opponents. Its nonsense. K/d is only effective at ranking the people who were in that match at that time.

i mean on average, across all matches against all opponents and all id games. on every map from from dwango02 to molten falls.

ᶦ ᵐᵃʸ ᵇᵉ ᵉˣᵃᵍᵍᵉʳᵃᵗᶦⁿᵍ ᶠᵒʳ ᵉᶠᶠᵉᶜᵗ

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm split between FFA being frustrating when people keep stealing your kills (where in TDM if you get kill stealed it still helps your team overall, assists aren't bad) and TDM being frustrating because I always have 1 or 2 teammates with 0 kills who are DC'd half the round so its a 2v4.

Instagib is by far the most fun and I'm gonna keep bitching about not having an instagib playlist until we get one :colbert: Sick of having to queue for FFA and everybody votes deathmatch instead.

We desperately need some objectives beyond kills, though. CTF can't get here soon enough.

I wish they'd break those apart as I have no desire to play IG 99% of the time.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

MysteriousStranger posted:

I wish they'd break those apart as I have no desire to play IG 99% of the time.

That's the thing, either you really want to play instagib or you really don't, so it doesn't make sense to mix them.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

Zaphod42 posted:

That's the thing, either you really want to play instagib or you really don't, so it doesn't make sense to mix them.

I think the logic was to drop que times. The game has a growing player base, but it's not all that large. Each different que fractures that base even more as people tend to play one game mode really and focus on it. So by keeping it solo/teams that's a way to force reduced wait times and fuller servers.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

I think the logic was to drop que times. The game has a growing player base, but it's not all that large. Each different que fractures that base even more as people tend to play one game mode really and focus on it. So by keeping it solo/teams that's a way to force reduced wait times and fuller servers.

Yeah. It went into place before the E3 growth along with bots.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Of course, but still. I'd rather wait longer to get the mode I want.

You could even let people queue for both, although that'd require features that maybe their network can't currently handle. But then that's on them.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Zaphod42 posted:

You could even let people queue for both, although that'd require features that maybe their network can't currently handle. But then that's on them.
CS:GO did it ages ago. You just checkmark the maps you're willing to play and you're then queued up for whichever one is available first. They could implement the same thing except for game-type.

EDIT: They also need to stop kicking everyone out after 1 match. Let people leave if they want obviously but otherwise defaulting to rematch/map vote and allowing folks to jump in mid-game would alleviate a ton of wait time.

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 31, 2018

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

This is how it worked prior to the E3 patch. You could multiqueue in casual or ranked.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That's very strange. You'd think they would have kept a queue mode that gave you a list and you say 'queue me for this, this, and this, and put me in the first one that connects'. There's really no reason not to have it that I can think of.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I play at least two rounds of this game like every single day. Its crazy but I like it more than almost anything else I have right now. Its just the right experience to hop in, get a few fun shooty rounds in, and then get out without any long term bullshit.

When there's a game you love and play all the time having RPG mechanics to grind out is cool but when like every game on the market wants you to play for dozens of hours to unlock this and that its overwhelming.
Its nice to just have everybody spawn on a map with the same guns and just let skill rule the day.

That said development feels pretty slow, its been awhile and there's not been very much to show. Seems like they probably have a pretty small crew. Dying for that CTF.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I used to play for a few hours every night but once they removed sacrifice from queue I stopped playing as much. I usually queue for deathmatch now but the constant threat of instagib being voted and the queue times I started doing some tdm. Even then the downtime between matches is too unbearable now.

This also may sound strange but I don’t like playing with the same people every time. Like unless I’m doing a pick up game or riding with a crew I like to just play against a sea of faceless players. I’m playing this f2p cod clone right now called Ironsight and it’s so chill. You get into a game within seconds and then poof another game with different faces. For some reason that anonymity makes the game even more relaxing and chill. I just can’t get this feeling in qc because the population is low and the lovely slow matchmaking downtimes is turning me off really bad lately.

I really hope one of these new game modes strikes gold and the UI plus matchmaking is fixed up soon. Core gameplay has issues too (bullshit abilities mainly) but pales for me compared to other things.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
why is this game so insanely cpu intensive compared to quakelive?

it's murdering my old 4th gen i5 in ffa and tdm. i'm probably overdue an upgrade but it's baffling that this of all games would be the thing to break the old workhorse's back.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

The Joe Man posted:

CS:GO did it ages ago. You just checkmark the maps you're willing to play and you're then queued up for whichever one is available first. They could implement the same thing except for game-type.

EDIT: They also need to stop kicking everyone out after 1 match. Let people leave if they want obviously but otherwise defaulting to rematch/map vote and allowing folks to jump in mid-game would alleviate a ton of wait time.

They had it at one point where it voted/loaded you into the next match the losing team almost always fell apart.

Zaphod42 posted:

I play at least two rounds of this game like every single day. Its crazy but I like it more than almost anything else I have right now. Its just the right experience to hop in, get a few fun shooty rounds in, and then get out without any long term bullshit.

When there's a game you love and play all the time having RPG mechanics to grind out is cool but when like every game on the market wants you to play for dozens of hours to unlock this and that its overwhelming.
Its nice to just have everybody spawn on a map with the same guns and just let skill rule the day.

That said development feels pretty slow, its been awhile and there's not been very much to show. Seems like they probably have a pretty small crew. Dying for that CTF.

That's where I am with it. I can hop in, get a few rounds, hop back out and get on with the world. Just needs more players and content. The content has been slow but it's been good.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

They had it at one point where it voted/loaded you into the next match the losing team almost always fell apart.

Usually you randomise the teams whenever you change maps explicitly to avoid that issue.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Jabor posted:

Usually you randomise the teams whenever you change maps explicitly to avoid that issue.

There’s a problem with tdm where a group of decent players queue together and get matched with random groups.

I’ve queued into 75-3x stomps against the same group three times in a row.

I just want to slide around and frag people but prefer ffa > tdm > instagib so I blunder into tdm after getting voted into igib a few times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

kaschei posted:

There’s a problem with tdm where a group of decent players queue together and get matched with random groups.

I’ve queued into 75-3x stomps against the same group three times in a row.

I just want to slide around and frag people but prefer ffa > tdm > instagib so I blunder into tdm after getting voted into igib a few times.

Premades shouldn't be matched with randoms, that's pretty standard for small-team competitive FPS but they probably again don't want to split the playerbase too much as queue times are already lengthy.

Sucks though, I've definitely felt this.

Shouldn't be able to make a team in that case. You can queue together and you'll end up in the same game but you may have to be on opposite teams from your friends. People can throw matches in that case, but there's ways to deal with all of this.