Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Macaluso posted:

Also I found a downed ship and fixed its two thruster things. How do I put it on my freighter now? I don't want to replace the one I'm using, I want to put it in my collection and possibly use it as trading fodder in the future. But I dunno how to get it on my freighter, there doesn't seem to be a "send ship to freighter" option

Just add it to your collection and move on. It'll eventually show up on your freighter after a system jump or a game reload. You don't even need to fix it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Ah okay

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

How do I get something that makes me launch jets more efficient so I don't have to refill them after four launches.

It's a pain to keep enough fuel on hand to just explore a planet :(

Also can multiple people be base "owners"? I want to build a joint base with a friend that we can both build up and teleport to.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

IcePhoenix posted:

How do I get something that makes me launch jets more efficient so I don't have to refill them after four launches.

It's a pain to keep enough fuel on hand to just explore a planet :(

Stockpile, basically. Launch jet fuel is easy to make and stacks up to 20. You can also find uranium on radioactive planets which is more efficient. There's no way to increase the number of launches per refill, unfortunately.

The way the game is balanced, it seems to be pretty much required that every so often you take a break from actively pursuing goals and stockpile for a bit.

vvvvv I stand corrected, that must be new in Next

haveblue fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jul 30, 2018

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

You can get launch thruster upgrades, my ship only drains 13% per launch at the moment

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Party Boat posted:

You can get launch thruster upgrades, my ship only drains 13% per launch at the moment

Rare as hell tho. My old ship had two of them and it was great

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Another question. Busted frigates. I'm shown two things somewhere on the frigate that need repairing. I've looked up how to do it, and you need to be able to interact with the main terminal thing on it. But... nothing happens. I can't click on it or interact with it any way. I have no idea if I'm doing it wrong or if I'm running into a bug

edit: Oh my god there was a whole bottom floor underneath the landing pad I didn't even see :doh:

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 30, 2018

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
I've seen people in the thread talk about big payoffs from ruins and crashed freighters. Is there some kind of tech or boost that increases the payoffs from these things or is it something that changes as you get close to the galactic core or something?

I recall people saying things like ruins giving loot that sells for 500k-1.5m and freighters giving 1-2m by themselves. That... has not been my experience. I spent a good 15 minutes getting enough pure ferrite to crack open all the cargo containers of a freighter and was rewarded with less then 200k units and 4 launch fuel. Meanwhile ruins have given things I can sell for up to 500k but usually it's around the 100-200k mark for me.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

ToastyPotato posted:

Are photon canon modules just not worth buying? I've gotten two that were like 1-2% increases, and they were not even C class. One might have been an S class. Also, can you have more than one S class mod for the same thing? Can I double up on S class scanning or movement, for example?

Also S tier blaster mod seems worthless as well. Are all S class weapon mods just trash then?

Also, when I loaded in, the freighter that I rescued that I put my stuff in that it said I didn't own was gone. Good stuff.

SubNat posted:

Alright, what sort of high flying horseshit is this?

Took a C-rank life support module, removed it, replaced it with an S-rank life support module. And bang, Technology Overloaded. So now I have to throw away one of the other modules. (2B, 2S, at this point, so it'll have to be 1B, 2S.)

What is this system even. Once you get up to S-rank modules you can only have 2-3 of them or so, before it stops working? While when you have lower rank modules, you can have 4-5?

I was going to ask if the technology-overloaded thing was related to your multitool rank, but this was on the exosuit.

Seems to be there's a limit of 3 on multiple S-rank modules as their bonuses are (usually) super good. I found a good guide on it and placement.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/92bpi3/psa_how_to_optimize_your_upgrade_modules_in_next/

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

So I'm like 12 hours in on a new file for my One X. No crashes to report, but the game did cut all sound on my Xbox, even the menus. Not sure if that was a NMS issue or just the Bone.

I played the first 4 hours in 4k with the locked framerate, but have since switched over to performance mode. 4k looks amazing and is great for pics, but the smooth framerate and 1080p of performance mode is too nice.

That said, I wish I could toggle between the two modes without having to restart the game. Tomb Raider and Witcher 3 allow you to pick from the pause screen and it's instant.

Loving Next though. The game still suffers from weird UI and lovely resource management, but the feeling of coming down to a planet not knowing what to expect is marvelous. I landed on a planet with mountains and it was gorgeous. I also found a tropical planet with floating islands.

Still, sentinels are loving stupid and need to be fixed. I don't recall them being this aggressive in the launch game. I don't remember them going after you for mining rocks, just for picking plants and shooting animals.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Meiteron posted:

I've seen people in the thread talk about big payoffs from ruins and crashed freighters. Is there some kind of tech or boost that increases the payoffs from these things or is it something that changes as you get close to the galactic core or something?

I recall people saying things like ruins giving loot that sells for 500k-1.5m and freighters giving 1-2m by themselves. That... has not been my experience. I spent a good 15 minutes getting enough pure ferrite to crack open all the cargo containers of a freighter and was rewarded with less then 200k units and 4 launch fuel. Meanwhile ruins have given things I can sell for up to 500k but usually it's around the 100-200k mark for me.

It's random, really. I've found 2 ruins and both of them have given me 450k and 500k respectively. But I've seen somebody dig up something worth 17 million.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Macaluso posted:

Another question. Busted frigates. I'm shown two things somewhere on the frigate that need repairing. I've looked up how to do it, and you need to be able to interact with the main terminal thing on it. But... nothing happens. I can't click on it or interact with it any way. I have no idea if I'm doing it wrong or if I'm running into a bug

You have to fly to the frigate, land on one of it's four landing pads. The Captain will contact you and tell you they need repairs, you'll have to move to all the highlighted points around the frigate and repair them. There is no central terminal to fix all the busted stuff at once. Depending on the type you might have to cross from one side to the other either via an air-lock or an walk-way that goes above or under the main hull.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh, I forgot to mention, everyone should watch that RPS "7 things you should know" video, wherever it is. It definitely taught me a bunch that I had no idea about before. I spent about 15 minutes grabbing those eggs from around the random bases on planets and got about 2 million for it. It's real easy to get a bunch quickly if you keep switching sides of the building so the aliens have to skitter around to get to you!

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

haveblue posted:

Stockpile, basically. Launch jet fuel is easy to make and stacks up to 20. You can also find uranium on radioactive planets which is more efficient. There's no way to increase the number of launches per refill, unfortunately.

The way the game is balanced, it seems to be pretty much required that every so often you take a break from actively pursuing goals and stockpile for a bit.

vvvvv I stand corrected, that must be new in Next

Some ships seem to natively do 13% per launch. I have a few ships with no upgraded thrusters that do that.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Communist Bear posted:

Careful with the Fleet Manager. Reddit has mentioned a rather colossal save breaking bug with it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/930ia2/massive_save_destroying_bug_that_may_be_effecting/

:ohdear:

gently caress this is what ruined my Sunday progress, 7h of game gone!

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

emdash posted:

science terminal quest line of the base-building quests, I think

I have no idea what this is. As far as I know I've completed the base-building questline/tutorial.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I have no idea what this is. As far as I know I've completed the base-building questline/tutorial.

Eventually you will be able to build a science terminal for your base. Terminals have an NPC working them that you can hire and they all have quest lines that give you blueprints, IIRC.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Krogort posted:

gently caress this is what ruined my Sunday progress, 7h of game gone!

I lost 50 hours. Both autosave and manual save are hosed :negative:

Here's my quick start guide: don't

crazystray
Aug 7, 2005
Grow or die.
I am not sure if this has been mentioned yet, I only scanned the last few pages.

There is a pretty easy get rich quick trick available for anyone that wants it. It kinda spoils some of the fun of the grind and sense of accomplishment but if you are more interested in exploring and playing the game without worrying about credits it can speed things up.

Start knocking down the doors of manufacturing facilities looking for recipes, there are a few that will work, the product it makes will sell for ~2 million. I found the Cryo-Pump recipe personally. Take your new fancy recipe, as many credits as you can (a few million is best) and an empty inventory to the nearest space station. A system with an high powered economy is best. The ships that land will sell the components you need to make your recipe. Just hang out and talk to each ship captain until you find the parts you need (also, don't be an idiot and spend all of our credits on only one of the components, be aware some are more expensive than others). Then simply craft your item, sell for 2 mil each and repeat. The components for the Cryo-Pump cost something like 200-300k so the profit is huge and you can just repeat this, filling more of your inventory until you are rich or bored. Another note: you can just select 'create more' on the item to make as many as you have ingredients for instead of stacks of 5 at a time.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Good thing there's a separate bug that locks you out of fleet management :bravo:

ToastyPotato posted:

Eventually you will be able to build a science terminal for your base. Terminals have an NPC working them that you can hire and they all have quest lines that give you blueprints, IIRC.

I think you have to trigger the base questline by building one of the round metal rooms, wood panel cabins won't do it.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

When you say "eventually", will I randomly get this quest, or are there prerequisites I can work toward?

edit: ^^^ thanks I'll try that

crazystray
Aug 7, 2005
Grow or die.

Feindfeuer posted:

You have to fly to the frigate, land on one of it's four landing pads. The Captain will contact you and tell you they need repairs, you'll have to move to all the highlighted points around the frigate and repair them. There is no central terminal to fix all the busted stuff at once. Depending on the type you might have to cross from one side to the other either via an air-lock or an walk-way that goes above or under the main hull.

Also, don't buy the loving frigates with the ladders. I can't figure out how to sell or trade frigates so I think I am going to let that one just die on a mission by not bringing it home for repairs even though it is my best frigate stats wise. Stupid ladders take so long and after 'falling' through space-gravity a couple of times when trying to shortcut the ladder with the jetpack I am over it.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Ben Nerevarine posted:

When you say "eventually", will I randomly get this quest, or are there prerequisites I can work toward?

edit: ^^^ thanks I'll try that

Haveblue mentioned it, but I haven't gotten that far in this patch. It was a bit simpler in the previous version, but from what I have read, it generally all works the same, so building the round room makes sense, since that was the basic room previously. (The wood stuff is new.)

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
is there a reliable way to get vy'keen daggers for the weapons terminal questline dude?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

emdash posted:

is there a reliable way to get vy'keen daggers for the weapons terminal questline dude?

Bartering with random NPCs usually rewards species gifts, from my experience. They are random, and I think each species has 2 gifts, but if you do it enough, you eventually get what you need.

crazystray
Aug 7, 2005
Grow or die.

emdash posted:

Occasionally you can get 10-packs from frigate expeditions.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Party Boat posted:

How do I get these I want them possibly more than anything.

Also I found a broken-rear end ship and I know it's technically more efficient to just try and trade it for a different one but it's 27 slots and has like +27% speed so I'm fixing it up because it's a fun thing to do (also most of them are not super difficult to fix).

I also got a free multi-tool exchange from a guy to replace my first one and it's 23 slots but like 15 of them are broken :lol: I'll still probably fix it up though because I've put some upgrades into it that I want to keep (like a scanner module that gives me a payout increase of thousands of percent when I find new stuff).

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Do I evetually get a way to automate getting common poo poo? might restart on creative mode if I can't, I don't mind a bit of resource gathering but having the constantly get ferric dust or shoot asteroids for gas is lame after the 10th time.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Wait double post fucc

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

When you find a station that sells S tier mods, they ALWAYS sell the same mods right? If you buy it and come back later, they restock it? Or is station mod inventory randomized to a degree?

Agean90 posted:

Do I evetually get a way to automate getting common poo poo? might restart on creative mode if I can't, I don't mind a bit of resource gathering but having the constantly get ferric dust or shoot asteroids for gas is lame after the 10th time.

There are farming things you can build for bases, and freighter frigate missions are supposed to yield items as well. Also you get to a point where you have enough money to just buy stuff outright if you are in a pinch. Like I only have a couple million at a time but usually spend a few thousand buying tritiium and uranium if I don't feel like grinding for it. Same with metals.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I found a cool ship but the first person cockpit view stinks. :( My normal one is a jet-like fighter type I can look around great in (and see all the instruments/displays) but the other one barely shows the top of the radar. Adjusting FoV doesn't seem to help. Oh well.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Stare-Out posted:

I found a cool ship but the first person cockpit view stinks. :( My normal one is a jet-like fighter type I can look around great in (and see all the instruments/displays) but the other one barely shows the top of the radar. Adjusting FoV doesn't seem to help. Oh well.

Can you share a pic of this hell ship so I know what to look out for

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Agean90 posted:

Upgrades and better weapons will help mitigate this. My S rank shuttle's lasers destroy asteroids so fast before needing to cool down (which is also quick) I wound up getting a few stacks of Tritium in a flash.

ToastyPotato posted:

When you find a station that sells S tier mods, they ALWAYS sell the same mods right? If you buy it and come back later, they restock it? Or is station mod inventory randomized to a degree?

I *think* it changes when you exit and re-enter a system.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Stare-Out posted:

Is it the kind of boxy one? I just got that yesterday, but it was such an upgrade that I had to take it. Cockpit is the worst I have seen so far though. Very claustrophobic.

Zaa Boogie posted:

Upgrades and better weapons will help mitigate this. My S rank shuttle's lasers destroy asteroids so fast before needing to cool down (which is also quick) I wound up getting a few stacks of Tritium in a flash.

I *think* it changes when you exit and re-enter a system.

Oh god. I left an S class scanner last night because I wanted time to check my other stations to see if they had S class mining mods...

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH
I checked the first post and didn't see anything about this. I have a PS4 pro and when I've attempted to get back into this game, it sounds like my console is going to take off for flight or explode. I don't have this insane fan noise for any other game. It's in a wide open completely ventilated area. Are there settings that might be causing this?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Tyree posted:

I checked the first post and didn't see anything about this. I have a PS4 pro and when I've attempted to get back into this game, it sounds like my console is going to take off for flight or explode. I don't have this insane fan noise for any other game. It's in a wide open completely ventilated area. Are there settings that might be causing this?

That’s how it is (and how it was when it came out iirc). It’s not reputed to cause hardware problems although the game will crash if you just stand still in a space station long enough

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

What drops Walker Brains? The giant bipedal Sentinels? It looks like a tech device from the icon (purple recolor of tech module icon). The purple makes me think it is sentinel related. But I don't want to trigger a fight with those things for no reason.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

emdash posted:

Can you share a pic of this hell ship so I know what to look out for

I don't have the game available right now but I'll post it once I do. And also..

ToastyPotato posted:

Is it the kind of boxy one? I just got that yesterday, but it was such an upgrade that I had to take it. Cockpit is the worst I have seen so far though. Very claustrophobic.

.. yes! The cockpit protrudes out from the front and opens up like a mouth. It was also an A class like my fighter, but with loads more cargo room so I repaired it and figured I'd use it for farming within systems (the hyperdrive on it is poo poo) but there's only a very limited front view out of the cockpit and barely any view of the instruments.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

ToastyPotato posted:

There are farming things you can build for bases, and freighter frigate missions are supposed to yield items as well. Also you get to a point where you have enough money to just buy stuff outright if you are in a pinch. Like I only have a couple million at a time but usually spend a few thousand buying tritiium and uranium if I don't feel like grinding for it. Same with metals.

Buying from traders is honestly the easiest way. I also keep roughly 1mil cash on hand just to buy up common resources when I see them cheap. Hell, I just bought 1k ferric dust for 40k because eventually I'll use it for something and it beats runing around smashing rocks when I'd rather be exploring.

Personally I enjoy seeing the PC as an absurdly rich and technologically advanced random dude who crashes into a system strip mining the good stuff and alternatively making some locals rich/bankrupt overnight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
There's some fancy stuff hidden behind the salvaged tech grind, this thing has room for 15 plants in it, and I'm pretty sure it can also be placed underwater.

ToastyPotato posted:

What drops Walker Brains? The giant bipedal Sentinels? It looks like a tech device from the icon (purple recolor of tech module icon). The purple makes me think it is sentinel related. But I don't want to trigger a fight with those things for no reason.

Yep, the big bipedal things are walkers. They're pretty easy when you get to know them, just remember to knock all their pieces of armor off first (Head, leg joints, shins)