Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

MOTYC: Masashi Takeda (c) vs. Isami Kodaka for the BJW Deathmatch Title - BJW (6/20)

Maybe the best deathmatch I've ever seen. Just the name of the stipulation was enough to sell it to me, it was a Light Tubes, Giga Ladder & Glass Board Death Match. The Samurai TV broadcast is up on RealHero's Rutube page but I won't link it because BJW have their own (lovely) streaming service. Try and track it down if you aren't put off by deathmatches though.

the people's MOTY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
HM: Jonathan Gresham vs. Timothy Thatcher - NOVA Pro Wrestling Harlem Nights - 7/28

Will probably have to bump this one when they post the show on Powerbomb, because I saw it live. I had never seen Thatcher before because I don't actually follow indie wrestling, but was tremendous and they did a great match based around the size difference between the two guys.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Boco_T posted:

HM: Jonathan Gresham vs. Timothy Thatcher - NOVA Pro Wrestling Harlem Nights - 7/28

Will probably have to bump this one when they post the show on Powerbomb, because I saw it live. I had never seen Thatcher before because I don't actually follow indie wrestling, but was tremendous and they did a great match based around the size difference between the two guys.

Thatcher is a really interesting dude, Boco_T. Worth reading up on. Probably will be the last man on the indies after WWE signs everyone as he doesn't want to go there and is more an artist. Gone through his fair share of criticism and backlashes. Can find people who think/though Tim was the most boring wrestler in the World and those who think he's the absolute best.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

MOTYC: Kota Ibushi vs. Tomohiro Ishii - G1 Climax Night 10 - 07/28

Holy gently caress Ishii. Holy gently caress Ibushi. Holy gently caress both those guys.

Am I crazy for thinking there was too much no-selling of big moves in this match? Don't get me wrong -- I just started watching NJPW right before G1 and am completely sold on Ishii. But Ibushi standing up out of big suplexes just took away from the match for me :shrug:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Dango Bango posted:

Am I crazy for thinking there was too much no-selling of big moves in this match? Don't get me wrong -- I just started watching NJPW right before G1 and am completely sold on Ishii. But Ibushi standing up out of big suplexes just took away from the match for me :shrug:

Watch it again and look in Ibushi's eyes, it's pretty much the opposite of "no selling"

Also it was the best part of the match

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

Yeah I can see thinking it was overkill but Ibushi's facial expressions were otherworldly and maybe the best thing about the match. It also helps that it's a short, manic fight in the middle of an intense tournament, when folks are starting to break down physically and emotionally. They both felt kinda unhinged and it was beautiful.

I kinda wanna go back and watch Ibushi/Shibata from the 2015 G1 (I think) cuz it's a similar match that I definitely thought was overkill at the time. I don't think Ibushi had nearly the same intensity or hatred that match, which made all the difference. But maybe I'm misremembering.

(Watch Ishii/Shibata from the 2013 G1 if you haven't yet, everyone new to modern NJPW. It's the match that got me back into wrestling.)

Anyway NTH MOTYC every Ishii match from the tournament so far. He's now pulled ahead of Yano as MVP as far as I'm concerned.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Since Yano has gone back to normal Yano, I'd put Ishii, Ibushi and SANADA ahead of him. I'd say Naito and Goto too but they had a match that was surprisingly just good yesterday.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
If it looks bad rear end as gently caress and you want to jump out of your seat yelling gently caress YEAH then the no selling is good.

It is rare that the no selling is bad.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

No selling is good when people I like do it and bad when people I don't like do it and that's not even me being sarcastic or whatever.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Selling is when you flop around like Dolph Ziggler after every move and the more you look groggy and flail around the more selling it is

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
RE: no-selling. I think it's only a problem if guys consistently actually don't sell moves. Ibushi and Ishii, for the most, weren't no-selling. They were weathering certain moves just long enough to retaliate (while selling, as people have noted about Kota's glassy eyes) and then basically dying afterwards. As soon as they finished the big suplex sequence in question, both guys lay on the mat selling for a good 30 seconds.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
G1 Night 9:
HM: The Man with the Worst Personality in the World vs Minoru Suzuki
HM: EVIL vs Page
HM: Fale vs Switchblade - Cheating heel vs heel matches are a rare treat for me (look at this match's tepid crowd reaction, for example), and this one had a grip of fun spots. My idea of schadenfreude.
MOTYC: Okada vs YOSHI-HASHI

G1 Night 10:
HM: Juice vs YTR
MOTYC: Ibushi vs Ishii - Duhhhhhhhhh, even if I thought they could've stood to sell two or three more moves.
HM: Goto vs Naito
HM: Omega vs SANADA

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

the only thing cooler than no-selling is hurting yourself to prove how tough you are to your opponent and thats why masashi takeda vs isami kodoka was the match of the year

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

HM: Joey Janela vs. David Starr - No Rope Barbed Wire Match - Beyond Americanrana 2018 7-29-18

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Jenkem Delivery posted:

HM: Joey Janela vs. David Starr - No Rope Barbed Wire Match - Beyond Americanrana 2018 7-29-18

Seconding

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Dango Bango posted:

It's also that Japanese fighting spirit thing. Ibushi takes the suplex, stands up, fights through it, and then collapses from the moves and pain adding up.

Jenkem Delivery posted:

thirded.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MOTYC: Kento Miyahara (c) vs. Zeus for the Triple Crown Heavyweight Championship - AJPW Summer Action Series (7/29)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I'll third Starr vs Janela but my favorite match of the night was

HM: Team Tremendous vs Gentleman's Club vs Beaver Boys vs Massage Force, Americanrana 2018

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.

MassRafTer posted:

I'll third Starr vs Janela but my favorite match of the night was

HM: Team Tremendous vs Gentleman's Club vs Beaver Boys vs Massage Force, Americanrana 2018

Holy poo poo Team Tremendous reunited? Now I gotta watch.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jack Anderson posted:

Yes, yes you do.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
WMOTYC - Bad Luck Fale vs. Togi Makabe - G1 Climax 28 - Night 11

This is everything I've hated about the Firing Squad, but without a good worker in Makabe to at least make the match good.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Man, A Block underperformed again? :sigh: Was the night better or worse as a whole than Night 9?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SalTheBard posted:

WMOTYC - Bad Luck Fale vs. Togi Makabe - G1 Climax 28 - Night 11

This is everything I've hated about the Firing Squad, but without a good worker in Makabe to at least make the match good.

Makabe is a good worker.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I’ll always like Makabe because his match against Ishii at WK9 was one of the very first New Japan matches I ever saw and the first one that really grabbed my attention

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

Makabe is a good worker.

I will always think of Okada/Makabe from Dominion 2013 as my go-to example of Great Storytelling in wrestling

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I'd also totally forgotten about the King of Destroyer Match.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

That first Makabe/Ishii WK match was god tier

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

extradite THIS! posted:

Man, A Block underperformed again? :sigh: Was the night better or worse as a whole than Night 9?

Worse.

MassRafTer posted:

Makabe is a good worker.

I agree. He normally is a good worker, but I just thought this match was not his night.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Jack Anderson posted:

hahahaha hahaha ha....
:smith:

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
HM: PCO vs. Dan Maff, No Disqualification - WHAT VI - 7/8

PCO is my poo poo and I don't want to hear "Daniel" or "Bryan" anywhere near Comeback of the Year voting

Full match: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoQ5xuNjmr4

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

EugeneJ posted:

PCO is my poo poo and I don't want to hear "Daniel" or "Bryan" anywhere near Comeback of the Year voting

2nd this was sweet

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

HM: Juice/Sanada
HM: Naito/Yano
MOTYC: Kenny/ZSJ
MOTYC: Ibushi/Goto

Wild that for a guy calling himself Best Bout Machine Kenny is consistently having the third, maybe second best matches on the card

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Dude has a broken heel and is still churning out a couple of MOTYCs a week

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I Before E posted:

Wild that for a guy calling himself Best Bout Machine Kenny is consistently having the third, maybe second best matches on the card
2nd

EugeneJ posted:

3rd

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

EugeneJ posted:

nth, especially with the "PCO for COTY" sentiment. Absolutely incredible ride to witness from the Spring Break announcement on

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
G1 Night 12:
HM: Ishii vs The Entire Firing Squad
HM: Naito vs YTR
HM: Omega vs ZSJ

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I Before E posted:

Agreed

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

G1 Night 12
HM: Omega vs ZSJ
HM: Ibushi vs Goto

Wasn’t really feeling it on this card tbh

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I Before E posted:

Nth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MOTYC: Pete Dunne vs. WALTER - wXw Shotgun #365 (8/1)

I'm pretty sure you can see that combination of names and agree with me without even seeing the match, but it's well worth subscribing to wXw or finding Shotgun on Powerbomb.TV to see this match (and Alpha Female vs. Millie McKenzie next week!)