Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Slightly bigger than a golf ball. :v:

Yeah, fairly crazy. Stolen from wiki.

quote:

Fuel system Rolls-Royce two-stage centrifugal supercharger with two 3 in (76 mm). SU carburettors. 82.6 psi (5.7 bar) maximum boost.
Fuel Petrol/alcohol fuel
Ignition Lucas coil, later four Lucas magnetos. One spark plug per cylinder
Valve gear 2 valves per cylinder @ 80 degrees with twin overhead camshafts per cylinder bank, via gear train from the centre of the crankshaft. Hairpin valve springs.
Inlet valves 1.25 in (32 mm)
Exhaust valves 1.09 in (28 mm)
Crankshaft Counterbalanced two piece with 8 plain bearings & 2 main roller bearings. (Later 10 plain bearings.)

Edit: Best part was how many Lucas magnetos, and only one spark plug per cylinder. Like you could stuff anything more into the cylinder head chambers with all the dimensions.

Just taking in the valve dimensions is crazy enough versus bore dimensions.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Colostomy Bag posted:

...82.6 psi (5.7 bar) maximum boost...

Jesus, no wonder they had reliability issues.

I mean, aside from the fact that it was a high-strung 1940's v16 racing engine.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 30, 2018

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I grew out of my loud-car love decades ago. My Abarth isn’t quiet, but it makes the noises that I appreciate from an ICE these days... gurgles and pops when it makes sense, and a solid grow when I’m giving it the beans. I can’t really hear anything from the exhaust when I’m on the freeway, even with the top down (because it’s a terribly engineered convertible that lets in 90dB of wind noise :v:).

Dumb, loud droning sounds like poo poo. A sporty car should sound like a Camry when it’s cruising along.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Loud pipes saves lives.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

A reminder about this BRM 1.5l V16 from 1947...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umO3iqac_4c

Speakers up.

It ran about 300bhp and apparently doubled that in an incredibly narrow rev range of like 250rpm making it somewhat of a handful. Sterling Moss says it's the only car he was scared of whilst driving it.

It's amazing that this is still only the second most interesting 16 cylinder engine BRM built.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Q_res posted:

It's amazing that this is still only the second most interesting 16 cylinder engine BRM built.

Tease.

So, does anyone make a 100cc v twin motorcycle engine? Asking for.... reasons :ninja:

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Whoops, forgot to copy this link.
https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/archive/article/september-1994/38/h16-brm

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

So, does anyone make a 100cc v twin motorcycle engine? Asking for.... reasons :ninja:
Honda and Suzuki both did a 125cc one, and I think a Chinese company might still make a knock-off of the Suzuki lump.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I've seen that locally before and I couldn't wrap my head around why anyone would think that's cool or a good idea.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

slidebite posted:

I've seen that locally before and I couldn't wrap my head around why anyone would think that's cool or a good idea.

You Know Why.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Enourmo posted:

You Know Why.

tuo posted:

I can't remember WHAT hot-hatch it was (iirc Renault?), but I tipped my hat when I saw the Top Gear review of the one where you can select on the dashboard how your car should sound, and it has like V12, V10, V8 etc. etc. in the menu. Whoever allowed that to happen is a hero in my book, as it is an honest treatment of the artificial sound generators which exist in oh so many cars nowadays.

they should just let you load whatever sound you want.

I would be down for jetsons spaceship noise

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

sneakyfrog posted:

they should just let you load whatever sound you want.

I would be down for jetsons spaceship noise

have you driven an all electric car in europe? they are mandatet to emit noise....so....some of them actually sound like a jetsons car

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
From the Awesome thread I didn't want to poo poo up:

One of my car-furniture 'fell into a pile of cash' dreams has been to stuff however big a bed I could into the body of one of those 60's Cadillac boats and build a bedroom around it. It would have functioning lights, vents, radio, convertible top, maybe air-ride suspension. And it would be AWESOME.

Well, it's 2018 and somebody's gone and done it, and the pictures belong in the cursed images thread. Not only am I embarrassed for having the idea originally, but ashamed and disgusted. I need to go wash my hands. Enjoy.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
No I totally get it especially if it was an ironic adult race car bed reasoning. As long as the rest of the room wasn't covered in Applebees-grade nostalgia on the wall, I even think it could be tastefully done.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

tuo posted:

have you driven an all electric car in europe? they are mandatet to emit noise....so....some of them actually sound like a jetsons car
Yep, you can switch between different noises, too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

US has rules for that too, any hybrid has a speaker that makes a noise whenever the vehicle is moving under 16 mph. I guess they decided tire noise gets loud enough over that speed that it's not necessary anymore.

Mine doesn't have an option to play different noises though. :smith:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

So we eliminate bike riders and drivers fumbling around to adjust the sound.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

slidebite posted:

If its a diesel, then its probably...... German product emitting poisonous gasses.......

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

DiggityDoink posted:

The 850 deserves the same place as the Biturbo in the Terrible Car Stuff Hall of Fame. Bitchin' in theory but fuckin awful in terms of ownership.

It’s true in a way. Both also have pretty lovely interiors.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

This is a soccer organization in my area. Every time I see a sticker with this emblem on a car I go :pwn:

Maybe I just have WW2 on the brain but I just don't understand why anyone would put this on their car. Though at least it's not a bullseye for vandals, unlike that VW logo.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 31, 2018

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Blue Footed Booby posted:

This is a soccer organization in my area. Every time I see a sticker with this emblem on a car I go :pwn:

Maybe I just have WW2 on the brain but I just don't understand why anyone would put this on their car. Though at least it's not a bullseye for vandals, unlike that VW logo.

well to be fair - if you're in america at least its understandable because the average kid that didn't grow up playing CoD might confuse that logo with this:

just as often as they confuse the VW logo with a car worth buying in the first place

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

cakesmith handyman posted:

No interesting reason we can't do both, 1L v12's all round!

I suggested to Ford a while ago that it develop a 2L V8 that revs to 12k, paired with a hybrid system doing torque-fill for the next Mustang. And the GTC4Lusso replacement would make more sense with a 2.5L V12 and hybrid system. Imagine the noise!

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

InitialDave posted:

Yep, you can switch between different noises, too.

mine can't :negative:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I have many regrets in my life. Passing on buying a Biturbo is not on the list.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

tuo posted:

mine can't :negative:

Join the club.
:sadwave:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

Join the club.
:sadwave:

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhh

e: technically I can change the sound by exiting electric drive into hybrid, but I only do that outside of towns/cities....mostly....

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

um excuse me posted:

Until you drive the car. It's like the deisel wagon fetish. Everyone who hasn't driven them loves them but people who have to deal with them on a daily basis say it's definitely a grass is greener situation.

just get an Si instead and have plenty of power with better gas mileage than a Fit

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Reminds me of the Toyota sludge but wrong end of the engine.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I have questions.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

iospace posted:

I have questions.

Audi TT.
80k miles.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

glyph posted:

Audi TT.
80k miles.

Zero oil changes/topoffs.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

glyph posted:

Audi TT.
80k miles.

Per the heavy-duty schedule.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Oil changes are a scam!

On the way to the grocery store, a heavy trail of oil turned onto the road and then stopped, and ALMOST made it into a parking spot at the grocery store before it kachunkachunkachunka'ed and left what little remained all over the middle of the parking lot. That would have been a sight to see based on the mark it left on the parking lot. It'll probably show up on the next google maps pictures.

e: "retread"

Powershift fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 1, 2018

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Sweet fender flares I saw today.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Long ago, I had a temporary Olds engine from a Cadillac in my Cutlass that looked like that inside the heads and intake valley before we put it in. I got as much crystallized sludge out before we put the intake on as possible, but I didn't trust that engine for the month or so it took to rebuild my original engine.
This was almost 30 years ago, so no pictures, sorry. That ex-Cadillac engine was noticeably down on power even from the needed-a-rebuild original Olds 350 (mainly low oil pressure/main bearing refresh. Compression was still good, and cross-hatching intact when it was examined.)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Eh, run 50% ATF for a hundo miles and give it a few changes. Back in service!

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Eh, run 50% ATF for a hundo miles and give it a few changes. Back in service!

I mean, you're not going to make it much worse than it already is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

I dunno if you guys ever got the Eunos 30X in North America, but I've seen a few of those with similar engines. I got one in for "not starting", checked the log book and saw that its last oil change was 55,000km/4.5 years ago. Pulled the valve covers, timing belt and camshaft caps to inspect the lands. Caps wouldn't come out without being hit by a hammer, and then to get the camshaft itself out I had to put a huge shifter on the hexagonal section and lean on it with a 3 foot pole on the handle, because they had welded themselves into place.

Opened the oil drain, and nothing came out except the stench of cold death.