Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ytlaya posted:

edit: As an unrelated thing, I finally looked up where to spend achievement points, and found that I had enough to get 2 mounts (with some left over). I got the goofy claw that drags you around and held off on spending the rest for the time being.

The warrior of light barding is also adorable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Vadoc posted:

They'll probably eventually just have it be cast automatically so it can be replaced by a new ability.

They should just give everyone a flat defense increase equal to what protect gives you while in dungeons.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Now that I've started running MSQ Roulette daily, I can't help but notice that Praetorium just never ends due to all of the monologue. It's like Gaius is dictating his biography or something.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Ytlaya posted:

They should just give everyone a flat defense increase equal to what protect gives you while in dungeons.

But only if it does the visual representation of being applied as well.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Now that I've started running MSQ Roulette daily, I can't help but notice that Praetorium just never ends due to all of the monologue. It's like Gaius is dictating his biography or something.

Didn't they do all that poo poo in such a way that if ARR had bombed, it'd have been like "Well, at least this was a complete story"

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Nessus posted:

Didn't they do all that poo poo in such a way that if ARR had bombed, it'd have been like "Well, at least this was a complete story"

If ARR had bombed square-enix probably would have gone bankrupt

They probably didn't want to leave a bad taste in the mouths of people playing it as a mostly-solo JRPG without really caring about the MMO.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
It was super cool to me at the time when ARR first came out having this big cinematic dungeon with a big bad guy giving a speech like this was a d&d campaign villain. Now though I wish they'd just rework the main story roulette dungeons into solo encounters with the scions or something helping.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

the shiba inu auspice from heaven on high casts protect on you in every dungeon after the barrier falls, complete with its iconic message

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Change Protect to a large 10 second damage resist buff on a long cooldown or something. I have no idea why they decided to make it work they way it does but it has never made a meaningful difference for most lower level content, yet people are still trained to think it *has* to be up at all times.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Thundarr posted:

Change Protect to a large 10 second damage resist buff on a long cooldown or something. I have no idea why they decided to make it work they way it does but it has never made a meaningful difference for most lower level content, yet people are still trained to think it *has* to be up at all times.

Yeah, it really ought to be either a single-target damage vulnerability down buff or some kind of group damage vulnerability down buff for a limited duration. I realize it's iconic, but it lasting an entire dungeon off of one buff isn't. I can't think of another FF game where Protect lasts as long as it does in FFXIV. I assume they just didn't want to have to retune endgame encounter calculations under the assumption of having 2x damage vuln down buffs for the fight. Maybe next expansion?

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Keep protect as is but make it kill the player when 30 minutes runs out.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
You either die a hero or live long enough to see your Protect run out.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Thundarr posted:

The reason why it works that way, and why it hasn't been killed yet, is because that's how it works in the other games. Yoshida is unwilling to get rid of it because he feels like it is one of the very "Final Fantasy" things about the combat, or some rubbish like that.

KoB
May 1, 2009
A guy I know says ITS NOT FINAL FANTASY WITHOUT PROTECT and I would have forgotten it existed at all if not for this game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

What's the exact rotation for Wildfire on MCH again? I'm trying to get back into it and I know there's some specific optimal rotation but can't remember what.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Rainuwastaken posted:

The reason why it works that way, and why it hasn't been killed yet, is because that's how it works in the other games.

It only lasts a single encounter in other games!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Rainuwastaken posted:

The reason why it works that way, and why it hasn't been killed yet, is because that's how it works in the other games. Yoshida is unwilling to get rid of it because he feels like it is one of the very "Final Fantasy" things about the combat, or some rubbish like that.

No I mean specifically, Protect works by buffing your defense score by a few percent. Other mitigation buffs just give you a raw % of damage off the top, so Protect is unique in that sense in FFXIV. It also means that Protect scales (very slowly) with your item level, and unless you are a tank in a full BIS suit it isn't going to change your defense value enough to really matter.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I've yet to convince a party to start running w/o Protect by now it's just for morale.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

What's the exact rotation for Wildfire on MCH again? I'm trying to get back into it and I know there's some specific optimal rotation but can't remember what.

There's a couple different variations. The common ones are in this album: https://imgur.com/a/VlG7iUb

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Thundarr posted:

No I mean specifically, Protect works by buffing your defense score by a few percent.

Ah, my bad. Didn't know that's what you were talking about.

Mormon Mother
Jan 23, 2008
Self diagnosed!
Does anyone know what the actual defense % increase on protect is now? I've tried looking it up out of curiosity but all I can find is info from ARR

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Twist: It actually doesn't do anything and is a mere placebo.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Leal posted:

Twist: It actually doesn't do anything and is a mere placebo.
Whatever it is, it's low enough that this is basically the case in practice anyway. :v:

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I like Protect because I can watch cutscenes at my leisure without people proceeding without me.

Is it normal to be frustrated with Wondrous Tails? I only figured out how to use Second Chance (the entire time I was shuffling the stamps). I won't have time to complete a line before the reset, so it's kind of a bummer. Also, what do the silver/gold certificates do?

Lily Catts fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 31, 2018

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schneider Heim posted:

I like Protect because I can watch cutscenes at my leisure without people proceeding without me.

Is it normal to be frustrated with Wondrous Tails? I only figured out how to use Second Chance (the entire time I was shuffling the stamps). Also, what do the silver/gold certificates do?

Wonderous Tails is basically pure gambling. At best you can reroll until you have the POSSIBILITY of a win. 3 silver or 1 gold certificates can be traded to Khloe for a top-end piece of gear.

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012
If I recall its still 15% more magic and physical defense. Which if I recall is around 5-6% more mitigation at all times right now.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Mormon Mother posted:

Does anyone know what the actual defense % increase on protect is now? I've tried looking it up out of curiosity but all I can find is info from ARR

When Stormblood first came out I tested it using autoattack damage from some random mobs at level 70 and couldn't measure any difference (averaging out a large number of attacks). I guess it's still possible that with a tank's defence numbers and bigger boss damage the difference would be large enough not to be a rounding error. It's also possible that it's bugged in some way or isn't actually programmed to do anything.

Fortuitous Bumble fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jul 31, 2018

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Because I'm an idiot I just now, during the level 45 Dark Knight quest, realized that I'm actually saying all the stuff Fray is saying (I'm guessing Fray is an illusion I'm seeing or something). Pretty neat though.

edit: I guess they're like the side of your character who is tired of constantly doing hero stuff for other people.

vvvvv Ahh, thanks, that was cool. I'm really curious about how this is going to play out. I feel like these job quests are literally the only quests in the entire game (that I've seen anyways) that actually characterize your PC,

edit2: Is Fray male if your PC is male? She's a woman for me.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jul 31, 2018

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Read your quest log for the DRK quests for the love of god

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Serve...
Save...
Slave...
Slay...

(Dark Knight is awesome.)

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
It's great how Paladin has given my questing a new context. Running around and helping people with no regard for the reward beyond how many cabbages it'll feed my chocobo.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
PLD: Help everyone, no matter what

DRK: oh my god go away i have better things to do

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Hi it's me, the total patsy to DRK 30-50. On DRK 45 I commented to my FC that "Fray has some issues" and someone replied "oh boy they sure do" and then sadhjdlfkjghdfkgjlahsd

Some people think DRK 50-60 is a step down but I really like it because I'm a sucker for all that crap. And the end of DRK 60 was super satisfying because the main baddie was pretty much irredeemable and nothing short of killing her would make Rielle safe. Also moogles.

I'm torn right now progression-wise because I really want to level my other jobs for their questlines but post-3.0 MSQ is really good (Raubahn being extra in the grand melee) and I fear that once I get to Stormblood content I'll be tempted to blaze through it. (and there are my underleveled DoH/DoL classes, too)

Also, I noticed that out of my dialogue options, the third one is always the sassy option (or "..."). Has this always been a thing? I feel like it's something being a DRK gives you but I could be wrong. It's kind of nice to play as the tired adventurer sick of everyone getting her to do stuff.

Lily Catts fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jul 31, 2018

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.
I loved driving Fray and Sigurd crazy with my relentless positivity.

(And skipping cutscenes in the paladin quests, except for 61-70.)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

WrightOfWay posted:

There's a couple different variations. The common ones are in this album: https://imgur.com/a/VlG7iUb
Wow, this looks loving miserable.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

The MCH experience

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Schneider Heim posted:

Hi it's me, the total patsy to DRK 30-50. On DRK 45 I commented to my FC that "Fray has some issues" and someone replied "oh boy they sure do" and then sadhjdlfkjghdfkgjlahsd

Some people think DRK 50-60 is a step down but I really like it because I'm a sucker for all that crap. And the end of DRK 60 was super satisfying because the main baddie was pretty much irredeemable and nothing short of killing her would make Rielle safe. Also moogles.

I'm torn right now progression-wise because I really want to level my other jobs for their questlines but post-3.0 MSQ is really good (Raubahn being extra in the grand melee) and I fear that once I get to Stormblood content I'll be tempted to blaze through it. (and there are my underleveled DoH/DoL classes, too)

Also, I noticed that out of my dialogue options, the third one is always the sassy option (or "..."). Has this always been a thing? I feel like it's something being a DRK gives you but I could be wrong. It's kind of nice to play as the tired adventurer sick of everyone getting her to do stuff.

Concerning Rielle's mom: The second right before Sidurgu slays her, where she realizes her wrongdoing too late? So loving heartwrenching, but so earned.

After ARR ended and they started working with Stormblood, they began to had a lot more dialogue choices for the character to make the players feel a bit more invested. They don't affect anything important but they add a really appreciated bit of flavor text. The ellipses are often a joke answer caused by the PC's natural silent protagonist slate, of course. But no, I don't think any answers yet are added solely from jobs played. SB does have healers join in healing in story cutscenes at points, but it's not a choice and is dependent on the job you're on at the time.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's not particularly hard once you get used to it. MCH becomes surprisingly rote and mechanical after a while.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Only variance in your wildfires will eventually be occasionally getting that sixth GCD out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

FactsAreUseless posted:

I mean if you play MCH long enough, you'll eventually come around to figuring this poo poo out on your own anyways. I got this ingrained into my muscle memory through trial and error long before

It just LOOKS extra miserable because of heated shots changing the icon, but is still fundamentally the same as it has always been ever since in HW. If Split-Slug-Clean are 1-2-3, then the best use of ammo is to go 1-2-1-3-2-3.