Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

So, a frigate I had needed repairs. I landed on it, got out of my ship to suss out what the damage was and accidentally fell off the side to my death. I fell off the side of a large spaceship in space and fell in space to my death. Not even towards a planet or anything, just straight down till it decided that was far enough, now you are dead. Then my grave was on the other side of the solar system.

On a side note, is there a way to fire frigates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Tyree posted:

It absolutely was not that way when I played it when it came out. So everyone playing on PS4 can't hear what's going because the fan is so loud?!? I guess I will just not play this lol.

i mean when i played it when it first came out, i distinctly recall it making the fans go nuts in a way i hadn't heard before. but nice to just act like a prick about it i guess.

here, i did some research you could've done yourself in 10 seconds:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/925ext/ps4_pro_noise/
https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/91rohu/ps4_pro_working_reallllll_hard/

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Macaluso posted:

The Vy'keen are a bunch of losers with stupid faces. Glory to the glorious Gek empire who will one day hopefully crush the Vy'keen and wipe them out from the galaxy

Offer gift (1 Vy'keen dagger)
Barter (1000 units)
Ask how the entity got those scars
Leave

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

im very glad i went against my initial gut feeling and ended up deciding not to do survival cause normal has kind of been a chore

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Macaluso posted:

The Vy'keen are a bunch of losers with stupid faces. Glory to the glorious Gek empire who will one day hopefully crush the Vy'keen and wipe them out from the galaxy

If you read the Gek lore you will be surprised to find that the Gek were once an empire of slavers, ruling over the Korvax with an iron fist.

crazystray
Aug 7, 2005
Grow or die.

Lexorin posted:

So, a frigate I had needed repairs. I landed on it, got out of my ship to suss out what the damage was and accidentally fell off the side to my death. I fell off the side of a large spaceship in space and fell in space to my death. Not even towards a planet or anything, just straight down till it decided that was far enough, now you are dead. Then my grave was on the other side of the solar system.

On a side note, is there a way to fire frigates?

I think you can just not recall it home when it is damaged, send it onward without repairs and it will die? I haven't tested this yet but I want to get rid of my frigate covered in slow ladders.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Berke Negri posted:

im very glad i went against my initial gut feeling and ended up deciding not to do survival cause normal has kind of been a chore

It should be noted somewhere in the tutorial that survival is strictly for people who hate themselves.

e: also

:siren: make periodic manual back-ups of your gamesave files :siren:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

i kind of want to just give up and do a creative run and screw around cause inventory issues + travel times + constantly having to source fuel + UI fiddlyness in general and also not being able to flag/keep track of POIs, its all kind of adding up to me not really bothering to do any fun base building or exploring

anytime i find a new little spot to set up at i then spend the same amount of time finding, refining, crafting everything again as i did for my first base and ive found it more useful just sticking with relic hunting so i actually have cash and just buying everything and since its hard to really keep track of a spot (as far as i know??) unless you build a base at the location most planets are now just pretty distractions that i zoom into, find my relic/ scan some stuff then leave and never really revisit

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Libluini posted:

If you read the Gek lore you will be surprised to find that the Gek were once an empire of slavers, ruling over the Korvax with an iron fist.

Also the only reason they're nice now is because the Korvax forcibly reprogrammed them.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Macaluso posted:

Wow, really says a lot about the society we live in.

loving goddamnit beaten lmfao

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I've been playing quite a bit and luckily the only bug I've run into is seeing the clouds from inside the freighter when I call it to the atmosphere of a moon

Seeing people get histrionic over the fundamentals of the early-game in the survival genre never get old tho. Does anyone else remember their first 5~10 hours with Minecraft and alt+tabbing out to a wiki with all of the crafting recipes, NMS has everything laid out in the tutorial section of the start menu which thankfully wasn't edited by an 11 year old

If you're going to fight sentinels just use your the mining tool to make a couple of wide and tall pillars as a makeshift arena. You'll have cover from all of the sentinels including the walkers and you can give them the run around while dodging the lasers

Also the walkers have armor pieces that fall off pretty easily. Walkers are easy to kill just by themselves on flat open terrain, when they charge up just get right under them and walk around beneath their legs. They cannot crush you so just keep running under their legs and shooting up their crotch

Game is good

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Powershift posted:

Yes, there are baren and dead planets, mainly around red or white stars. red or white stars often have no space station as well.

There are also some called terraforming catastrophes that are barren of life with huge caverns and broken terrain.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Also having read some posts Cobalt is ALWAYS in caves. Navigational data in the form of paperweights are almost everywhere, in the tiny two cabin settlements near the window of whatever cabin didn't have nanites, next to NPC's in the outposts on land (the ones with a single landing pad, NPC, store, random weapon) and the puzzle outposts. They're usually on tables nearby the NPC. They're on the space stations too, usually in front of the tech vendors.

I know a lot of this stuff is repeated but scanning the past couple of pages I see a lot of the same questions being asked over again

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Hello Games should 1. fix the bugs but then 2. do a whole bunch of tiny little updates that just add tons of possible encounters and discoverable structures etc

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

I'd love a game mode like creative but where I can still be damaged by the environment and still have to grind for materials and money, with basically no sentinels. I just want to lazily explore a galaxy with threats to my life but no combat.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So what's the point of tagging a point of interest if it doesn't stay visible?

I found a drop pod with a broken suit upgrade in it. I had all the stuff to repair it except, ironically, some Oxygen, so I highlighted the Drop pod icon and held X, since that always seemed to keep stuff visible. I went to the nearby trade outpost (same planet!) and bought my Oxygen, only to discover that my nav point was gone.

Mind you, the nav point to the abandoned building on another planet that had deadly monster eggs outside it and was full of infested machinery that was part of the tutorial quest is still showing up and confusing me too, so I don't know what the gently caress is up.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Had 70 hours logged before Next, just went over 100 last night. In all that time this is the worst/best time I've had with a station's tractor beam correcting my approach:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Me3Dm0xVxdk

Bullfrog posted:

Hello Games should 1. fix the bugs but then 2. do a whole bunch of tiny little updates that just add tons of possible encounters and discoverable structures etc

I believe they've said this is their plan actually, although 2 might be more along the line of community events and such.

Also I think I've finally settled on how I want my character to look:

Saiyan armor's neat, but I'll stick with TV Boy for the foreseeable future.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Macaluso posted:

Stay safe poverty ghost.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Libluini posted:

This is what happens when all your kitchen appliances have WiFi.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
On keeping your launch thrusters fueled - most sites have either a landing pad or a energy pylon looking thing to land at. There'll be a circle that turns green when you get close enough to land in. You don't use fuel taking off from these. The launch thrusters can also be refueled with uranium so when you find a planet that it's easy to harvest on fill up a cargo slot in the ship with it and you won't have to worry about launch fuel for a long, long time. I don't bother with upgrades to them because I really don't find refueling them a big deal.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

On keeping your launch thrusters fueled - most sites have either a landing pad or a energy pylon looking thing to land at. There'll be a circle that turns green when you get close enough to land in. You don't use fuel taking off from these. The launch thrusters can also be refueled with uranium so when you find a planet that it's easy to harvest on fill up a cargo slot in the ship with it and you won't have to worry about launch fuel for a long, long time. I don't bother with upgrades to them because I really don't find refueling them a big deal.

You can also just buy launch fuel from the ships that land on freighters. It's almost always 90%+ more expensive, but they stack in groups of 20 so you can scan some creatures and just stack up on 20-40 cans of fuel to not have to worry about it for ~10 hours.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

In particular, look for a terrain feature called Metal Fingers, which are lumpy rods of uranium. Breaking one takes a while, but it'll give you basically an entire stack of Uranium.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

You can buy launch fuel pretty much everywhere. It’s like 40-50k but it’s worth it for the convenience of not having to bother with crafting it. Also apparently there’s modules to further decrease the cost so I’m going to have to look for those ASAP.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Shadowlyger posted:

In particular, look for a terrain feature called Metal Fingers, which are lumpy rods of uranium. Breaking one takes a while, but it'll give you basically an entire stack of Uranium.

If you want to find these, they only spawn on radioactive planets.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So is everything completely random, or does stuff scale, or do things get more difficult as you keep going further from where you started the game? I like traveling around everywhere but I'm kind of tired of seeing galaxies where every planet is just terrible

I've also been sticking to mostly Gek galaxies just because I have way more words for them than the other races. And also obviously the Vy'keen suck

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Just unlocked this decal with the blueprint analyzer :3:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

haveblue posted:

If you want to find these, they only spawn on radioactive planets.

There were some on my second planet and I'm pretty sure it's not radioactive. There was also a mix of Gold and Uranium fingers.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So it seems like the only way I can access new blueprints on the analyser is by buying older ones, is this right? I unlock this green light decoration, and it frees up a slot so now I can add a metal t-shaped corridor.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Annath posted:

So what's the point of tagging a point of interest if it doesn't stay visible?

I found a drop pod with a broken suit upgrade in it. I had all the stuff to repair it except, ironically, some Oxygen, so I highlighted the Drop pod icon and held X, since that always seemed to keep stuff visible. I went to the nearby trade outpost (same planet!) and bought my Oxygen, only to discover that my nav point was gone.

Mind you, the nav point to the abandoned building on another planet that had deadly monster eggs outside it and was full of infested machinery that was part of the tutorial quest is still showing up and confusing me too, so I don't know what the gently caress is up.

Yeah this is my biggest gripe with the game right now, I’ve wasted so much time and resources not being able to get back to points of interest.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Are you ever able to buy S (or even A) level blueprints for things like scanner mods, weapon mods, thruster mods, etc? The mods themselves seem pretty common at S rank so it's not a huge deal but I wouldnt' mind the blueprints for better ones. I bought everything the space station merchants had and it doesn't ever seem to be changing.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Here's the ship I mentioned with the poo poo-rear end cockpit view (my normal ship in the background on the landing pad.)

And the view itself; at night because no photo mode from inside the ship:

Also BIG THINGS:

And MOONKINS:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Noctone posted:

Yeah this is my biggest gripe with the game right now, I’ve wasted so much time and resources not being able to get back to points of interest.

I found my way back to it eventually by going to the system station and asking a bunch of Gek (Gex? Geks? Geeks?) for "directions" until a Drop Pod icon appeared :v:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Cool my save crashes on load now :rip:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

crazystray posted:

I think you can just not recall it home when it is damaged, send it onward without repairs and it will die? I haven't tested this yet but I want to get rid of my frigate covered in slow ladders.

I did this with my starting frigate, which had negative combat and limped back from any time guys looked at them askance. They failed scanning a rock so badly that they made micro black holes appear through the entire ship and it took ages to find the platinum to repair the damage. Their final swan song was taking a sack of money that had a tracking beacon in it, given their competence I like to imagine it was beeping and flashing.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

victrix posted:

Cool my save crashes on load now :rip:

Have you done any frigate expeditions?

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH

emdash posted:

i mean when i played it when it first came out, i distinctly recall it making the fans go nuts in a way i hadn't heard before. but nice to just act like a prick about it i guess.

here, i did some research you could've done yourself in 10 seconds:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/925ext/ps4_pro_noise/
https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/91rohu/ps4_pro_working_reallllll_hard/

I wasn't trying to be rude. I was just surprised that this is just accepted. I did use Google first before coming in here, now I know not to come in here.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
How and where do I get a blue print analyzer

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

hello internet posted:

Have you done any frigate expeditions?

Nope

Anyone know how to edit the player location in the save file? Maybe I can salvage it that way, it loads fully and crashes when it finishes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Calaveron posted:

How and where do I get a blue print analyzer

Should be buildable under Portable Equipment when you get the quest step that tells you you need one.