Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
I've said it before, but you adapt LuPat by dusting off the Hexagon pitch, modernising it and going hog wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
True.
You could do a Star Trek Voyager style show where two the two groups have differing viewpoints on how to use Rangerpowers -- one wants to steal from the rich to provide for the downtrodden and the other wants to protect the innocent. They would have to come together through a quirk in how the powers manifested/morphing grid imbalance/etc.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Or go the Super Megaforce route and never, ever point out what the team's theme is. :shepface:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Or go the Super Megaforce route and never, ever point out what the team's theme is. :shepface:

Well there's a really simple explanation for the ToQger theme, it's :siren: :siren: :siren: something I'll tell you later.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Or just go whole loving hog and make them the literal descendants of Arséne Lupin being pursued by the descendants of Herlock Sholmes due to legal action from the Doyle estate.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

let me rephrase

Power Rangers' target audience doesn't care much about trains

and stereotyping autistic people like that is gross

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

deadly_pudding posted:

The only way LuPat comes across to the US with its theming kind of intact is if the Thief Rangers are all undercover cops, or they're one team of rangers who are knowingly given a power that requires Law and Chaos in balance. I can't see Haim Saban signing off on a show that's about 50% "The police can't help you", even if they other 50% is "The police are trying really hard to help you".

I don’t think they have to keep calling them thieves or whatever.
I think the core thing to keep is that one team operates with secret identities like the Zordon crews, and the other just lives in public like Lightspeed or SPD.

As someone who was so tied to the secret identity mysticism stuff that Lightspeed Rescue was the point I went from dedicated viewer to dropping the show completely, I’m surprised that LuPat is able to do the Public Works Rangers thing so successfully. I guess it helps that they’re part of some new world order of law enforcement, and not some ridiculously high tech department protecting a small town.

Also re ToQ: Power Rangers has had numerous trains show up as zords over the years. You’d need to do an extensive re-write of everything outside of the combat footage, but not that much more than they do with shows already.

You’d want to make a new cast of allies and a new villain, but when Power Rangers makes their own villain people tend to think they’re the best in the franchise. If they could adapt Go-On to RPM, they could adapt ToQger.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 29, 2018

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

There are at least four airing train shows for children right now. Thomas of course, Dinosaur Train, Chuggington, a different one I saw on Disney the other day. Kids are still into trains. Younger kids anyway

And while that sorta lines up with the lower end of Super Sentai's demo, PR's core demo has largely outgrown those shows and pretty much avoids anything target to children younger them as much as possible.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Coq au Nandos posted:

I've said it before, but you adapt LuPat by dusting off the Hexagon pitch, modernising it and going hog wild.

I don't think any sort of Hexagon can work, as long as the pitch is centralized around asking and answering questions about Power Rangers that basically only people here actually give a rat's rear end about.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Just change the thieves to secret agents like James Bond and from a different agency

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I haven't actually watched any LuPat yet but couldn't you just make the Lupinrangers Robin Hood style figures?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I mean one of the Overdrive rangers was a professional thief. So were Jack and Z, backstory wise.

I don't think this is as big a deal as you guys think.

Samuel Benta is a d-bag of course but I doubt that'd be any serious consideration production wise.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They've even done opposing power ranger teams before with Ninja Storm.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I think the issue is that it's two opposing teams where neither is evil, but one is clearly meant to be Good (Patrens) and the other is meant to be somewhat bad (Lupins) and they directly oppose each other. It might be a little too grey for producers to be comfortable with as is without tweaks

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It really depends on the production team. The super white bread tone of Samurai and Megaforce would probably dumb it down, but I can see other producers being okay with it.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Xelkelvos posted:

I think the issue is that it's two opposing teams where neither is evil, but one is clearly meant to be Good (Patrens)

All cops are bad.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

All cops are bad.

I mean yeah, but as far as a kid's show in the US is concerned, cops are good and you're friends unless they're the crooked kind.

Actually, that might be a decent set-up: The Lupin team is also cops, but not as higher ranked or something as the Patren team so they moonlight as thieves to get in on the action.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
You guys are overthinking this. The Pat team are licensed professionals and the Lupins are vigilante's taking justice into their own hands which puts them at odds with each other.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The Power Rangers are cops.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sometimes.

Bulk and Skull also are cops sometimes (and real rear end in a top hat ones too, they racially profile and hand out every minor citation they can in order to feel powerful)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Tbh, Zack is the only original ranger who wouldn't narc. Mayne Tommy pre-white ranger.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Billy is no narc

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly none of the original Rangers are cops or cop like. Like just going off of their bare bones character traits, Kim might object to pot or something but generally they're normal teens who do normal teen poo poo. Also Kim keeps signing them up to save the environment. But you know, 90s.

Though notably, most of the time Kim pulled that poo poo, most of the guys bailed as hard as they could.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That was Trini

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Okay look, I'm not going to lie

Trini's role as Kim's best friend leads me to blob her few distinct moments into Kim more than it should.

Mostly because Trini had like, two things to her. Three sorta.

She had "Cares About Environment", "Is Probably The Second Smartest", and "Karate But Not As Much As Jason"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

First look at the team up, and they announced it for 8pm on August 28th, which was the day MMPR premiered.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Ha ha carter Wes is old now

I totally expect it to be lame and bland but I’ll still watch it and hope for the best

I thought I heard Steve Cardenas was on board for the team up, too?

Sockser fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 30, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah but they're only officially announcing them a few at a time.

JDF looks in better shape than Wes somehow despite being like ten years older. Catherine has aged completely normally, JDF looks like he could be mid 30s in that photo.

I like to imagine Catherine Sutherland's first day on set in 1995. "Ok Catherine, can I call you Cat? You'll be playing a a character named Katherine (Kat for short) who can turn into a cat."

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 30, 2018

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Are they letting anyone from the Disney era show up this time?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Nodosaur posted:

Are they letting anyone from the Disney era show up this time?

Iirc,
Tommy
Rocky
Kat
Wes
And yellow from Megaforce. Mia?

Tommy sorta counts as Disney era right ?

JDF looks in better shape than Wes somehow despite being like ten years older. Catherine has aged completely normally, JDF looks like he could be mid 30s in that photo.

It’s kind of crazy how getting rid of that awful spiky green hair made him go from “dude in his late 40s trying way too hard to stay relevant and hip” to “oh yeah he’s probably like 38 or so”

E:

quote:

Spotted in New Zealand
*Power Rangers Super Ninja Steel films in New Zealand

•Jason David Frank – Tommy Oliver, Mighty Morphin Green Ranger
•Steve Cardenas – Rocky DeSantos, Zeo Blue Ranger
•Catherine Sutherland – Katherine Hillard, Zeo Pink Ranger
•Selwyn Ward – TJ Johnson, In Space Blue Ranger
•Jason Faunt – Wes Collins, Time Force Red Ranger
•Jeffrey Parazzo – Trent Fernandez, Dino Thunder White Ranger
•Nic Sampson – Chip Thorn, Mystic Force Yellow Ranger
•Steven Skyler – Antonio Garcia, Samurai Gold Ranger
•Ciara Hanna – Gia Moran, Megaforce Yellow Ranger
•Yoshi Sudarso – Koda, Dino Charge Blue Ranger
•James Davies – Chase Randall, Dino Charge Black Ranger

Rumored to Appear
*Reported by That Hashtag Show

•Johnny Yong Bosch – Adam Park, Zeo Green Ranger
•Nakia Burrise – Tanya Sloan, Zeo Yellow Ranger
•Pua Magasiva – Shane Clarke, Ninja Storm Red Ranger
•Sally Martin – Tori Hanson, Ninja Storm Blue Ranger
•Li Ming Hu – Gemma, RPM Silver Ranger

Declined Invite
*Due to other conflicts (Cahill, Cawthorne reported by TokuNation)

•Erin Cahill – Jen Scotts, Time Force Pink Ranger
•Milo Cawthorne – Ziggy Grover, RPM Green Ranger
•Davi Santos – Ivan, Dino Charge Gold Ranger

Content from Power Rangers NOW: https://www.powerrangersnow.com/a-running-list-of-super-ninja-steel-returning-actors/

Sockser fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 30, 2018

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Tommy is Disney by technicality.

and I see. That sounds better than the Saban only group from Megaforce.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Can't wait for Tommy to Gokai Change into himself.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

First look at the team up, and they announced it for 8pm on August 28th, which was the day MMPR premiered.

Legit sad Kat will be Turbo Pink and not Zeo Pink.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Unponderable posted:

Legit sad Kat will be Turbo Pink and not Zeo Pink.

Theoretically we’ve got Rocky and Tanya and maybe JYB repping Zeo and nobody else repping Turbo, as a possible explanation

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

That's honestly a drat solid lineup of returning people.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Lol they really don't even try to use that turbo morpher right anymore

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Aren't some of those actors spotted in New Zealand just people who live in New Zealand?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

SpazmasterX posted:

Lol they really don't even try to use that turbo morpher right anymore

I recall reading that the actors never had to really do the Turbo morph properly, because they never had to really get the key into the morpher properly. The glow special effect would cover any mis-aims.

Partially related, I wonder how many former Ranger actors have perfect or near-perfect muscle memory for their morphing, even decades later, thanks to conventions and stuff. You know JDF can do all of them, gun to his head, without breaking a sweat.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You wouldn't be able to get a gun to his head, he'd spin kick it out of your hand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

After his close call the other year where a gunman insidiously infiltrated a convention to murder him, I'm reasonably sure JDF packs as much heat at all times as his Louis Vuitton holsters can hold.