Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well my reason is because I'm lazy but I'll take the justification!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

IIRC dropships has fallen by the wayside since it was a spinoff of the guy's WH40k project, and he's focusing his efforts on that, so as of right now it is unsupported.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Yeah, I was a total dropships fan until it started getting wonky at the last update. I found Giddy Up and have never looked back - add in animal armor and now I can have a plasteel armored, personal shield wearing thrumbo carrying a brawling plasteel longsword colonist, who is also wearing a personal shield.

Not that I’ve ever gotten a thrumbo in the last few play throughs, but a guy can dream right?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Reusable Drop Pods does pretty much everything Dropships did in a less fancy way.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Warmachine posted:

This game is dead set on rendering my cotton/healroot/psychoid fields unusable. This is the third or so terrain changing event to crash down there and god drat it.

What are you using to get the nice wee room/field markers?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Tindahbawx posted:

What are you using to get the nice wee room/field markers?

Labels On Floor

wit
Jul 26, 2011

That sounds like such a minor mod, but its probably my fav feature in Cities Skylines. I like to name all the things.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Smokes a joint. Throws some horseshoes and then goes to bed. Way to make the most out of that inspiration Sarsum.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Pyromaniac Ida posted:

Smokes a joint. Throws some horseshoes and then goes to bed. Way to make the most out of that inspiration Sarsum.

Relatable, if we count posting as playing horseshoes.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
This is why you mandate strict work hours. The indolent little shits can't be trusted to manage themselves, that's why you're there.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Do these drugs even work?

I'm working on a rescue commando team but they were unable to even build shelter without falling asleep on the ground so I started sending drugs with them.

On their first mission they each popped a dose of go-juice and instantly fall asleep on the ground. In the middle of -67 degrees Celsius weather. Same when using "wakeup"

It's a pain in the rear end when the weather is that cold and you have to make the workers build the roof one pixel at a time manually while the person you're saving is bleeding and naked with seconds to live.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Pyromaniac Ida posted:

Do these drugs even work?

I'm working on a rescue commando team but they were unable to even build shelter without falling asleep on the ground so I started sending drugs with them.

On their first mission they each popped a dose of go-juice and instantly fall asleep on the ground. In the middle of -67 degrees Celsius weather. Same when using "wakeup"

It's a pain in the rear end when the weather is that cold and you have to make the workers build the roof one pixel at a time manually while the person you're saving is bleeding and naked with seconds to live.

Does their work schedule have them assigned to sleep at that time? Maybe they try to sleep regardless of sleepiness if it is in the scheduled?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

T-man posted:

Relatable, if we count posting as playing horseshoes.

just wait till y'all see my inspired posting :smug:

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Is there a way to train shooting without risking getting mailed by squirrels?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

kidkissinger posted:

There's a mod that makes shooting targets.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

kidkissinger posted:

New thread title?

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

There's a mod that makes shooting targets.

Yeah... I used that mod before and I seem to remember that when someone was shooting at the target for joy, my best constructor came wandering over to repair the damage from missed shots, and promptly got shot in the head.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
make a pet sleeping spot, forbid the area to animals, use that as your range. i recommend setting it up against a hill or something so you don't have a stray bullet go hit something that'll go manhunter on you.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tindahbawx posted:

Yeah... I used that mod before and I seem to remember that when someone was shooting at the target for joy, my best constructor came wandering over to repair the damage from missed shots, and promptly got shot in the head.

I always put it outside so that if they missed it would either hit a rock wall or eventually take out the ocean.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Tindahbawx posted:

Remove it from your home area to avoid auto repair

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Raid arrives chasing a refugee and the raids sniper starts by shooting a guy on his own team in the back of the neck :stare:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Pyromaniac Ida posted:

Raid arrives chasing a refugee and the raids sniper starts by shooting a guy on his own team in the back of the neck :stare:

I mean, to be fair, gently caress that guy.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Muffalo hunting with mortar cannons :getin:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Had a green tiberium rock drop outside my arctic mountain base, the drat thing spawned next to no crystals but now the entire outside is tiberium moss that wrecks up caravans who refuse to use my safe pathway :argh: I'm just going to build some sonic towers and smash the thing, I can't even get any free steel off it.

This also happened:
https://twitter.com/HetzerGonnaHetz/status/1021849744283496450?s=09

But at least red tiberium refines into Uranium and is far more easily manageable. All the tiberium is causing ion storms too which REALLY won't be good considering I'm on a rogue planet, and the winters won't be getting warmer.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Pyromaniac Ida posted:

Muffalo hunting with mortar cannons :getin:

this is good

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Meanwhile I had a colonist die at the entrance to the base. For some reason they refused to cremate him so he would just lay there while people complained that he wasn't getting a funeral. Then I got the bzzzt event and a cable exploded near him and his body burned up in something like 10 seconds.

The lord Randy is good at times.

Katt fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 31, 2018

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

kidkissinger posted:

The pool table trains shooting in 1.0

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

it has for a while. horseshoes also trains shooting. it just does so extremely slowly, and furthermore, you can't prioritize/force that labor if someone is maxed on Fun.

what they need is an actual target to shoot at and a place to shoot real guns for 4+ hours at a time. which, as before, is a pet sleeping space in an area forbidden to pets and pawns. ideally you have a backdrop of a natural rock formation, but failing that a clear line of fire out some 20 tiles behind the target is fine. draft the colonist and tell them to fire at the sleeping space. then let them do that until you get a break alert and undraft them.

it's fiddly and annoying and you should be able to just institute a range and a training labor that forces pawns to train up to an arbitrary shooting skill, after which they stop training. but if you want to do it without mods and without implementation problems, there you go - it's a way to get your pawns up to shooting level 10 simply enough, not that you should ever ideally rely on that score.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Coolguye posted:

it has for a while. horseshoes also trains shooting. it just does so extremely slowly, and furthermore, you can't prioritize/force that labor if someone is maxed on Fun.

what they need is an actual target to shoot at and a place to shoot real guns for 4+ hours at a time. which, as before, is a pet sleeping space in an area forbidden to pets and pawns. ideally you have a backdrop of a natural rock formation, but failing that a clear line of fire out some 20 tiles behind the target is fine. draft the colonist and tell them to fire at the sleeping space. then let them do that until you get a break alert and undraft them.

it's fiddly and annoying and you should be able to just institute a range and a training labor that forces pawns to train up to an arbitrary shooting skill, after which they stop training. but if you want to do it without mods and without implementation problems, there you go - it's a way to get your pawns up to shooting level 10 simply enough, not that you should ever ideally rely on that score.

I don't know, letting people spend 4 hours a day at the range for no cost seems unbalanced. It would be different if guns needed ammo, but as it is the only cost is losing that pawn's labour for the hours spent training.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

that's a pretty high cost, especially early on. on Rough or worse especially i have no idea where i would find the time to have people train in the first year at least. even if you're unskilled at everything but shooting, i need you hauling and cleaning so the people who CAN do things won't get distracted by stupid poo poo like moving stone blocks to stockpile, putting medicine reagents near the drug workbench, moving crops from the field into the warehouse or the raw foods freezer, or shifting meals to the dining room's freezer.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I'm not sure when it was added, but the current 1.0 build gives a reduction to animal revenge chance based on the colonist's shooting and animals proficiency. I'm not sure what it would take to get it to 0%, but it might make minigun hunting a viable way to keep them training their shooting in late game.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Facebook Aunt posted:

I don't know, letting people spend 4 hours a day at the range for no cost seems unbalanced. It would be different if guns needed ammo, but as it is the only cost is losing that pawn's labour for the hours spent training.

It's a pretty big hit to mood and productivity to have all soldiers at the range for a day in exchange for a pretty small gain so I think it's fair.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Coolguye posted:

that's a pretty high cost, especially early on. on Rough or worse especially i have no idea where i would find the time to have people train in the first year at least. even if you're unskilled at everything but shooting, i need you hauling and cleaning so the people who CAN do things won't get distracted by stupid poo poo like moving stone blocks to stockpile, putting medicine reagents near the drug workbench, moving crops from the field into the warehouse or the raw foods freezer, or shifting meals to the dining room's freezer.

This right here. EVERYTHING YOU DO HAS AN OPPORTUNITY COST. Games like this are fundamentally about balancing those costs. Yes, shooting and hauling are both productive, but you have to pick one, and thus forego the benefits of the other. Once you're at the point where you are generating surplus fine meals, then this trade-off becomes more favorable. Get efficient enough at meeting pawns' basic needs, and then you can start having pawns that are specialized in production that isn't dedicated to meeting needs, such as art, crafting, and yes dedicated soldiering.

Its that old argument from MMOs how gathering materials to sell isn't "free." The cost is whatever else you could have done instead of gathering materials. Always remember that, especially when playing Rimworld.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I dunno about anybody else, but I really find shooting a migrating herd of boomalopes really fun.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
At some point I'm going to test using the path cost mod and setting the range-side wall adjacent tiles to high cost while a tunnel behind the walls has low cost. I'm hoping it means anyone repairing the walls from missed shots, since IIRC the dev made the dummies themselves heal automatically.

I don't even care a ton for the skill gain but I like having a cool looking barracks with a firing range :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Danaru posted:

At some point I'm going to test using the path cost mod and setting the range-side wall adjacent tiles to high cost while a tunnel behind the walls has low cost. I'm hoping it means anyone repairing the walls from missed shots, since IIRC the dev made the dummies themselves heal automatically.

I don't even care a ton for the skill gain but I like having a cool looking barracks with a firing range :v:

Can't you just put the targets away from the wall? Bullets don't actually fly past things, they land in a radius around them.

Or as someone else said, outside. You can put a roof over the firing positions if you want to as well, put the targets downrange in the open, will get your shooters some fresh air too.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

My colony is running out of noses. Any little slapfight seems to end up with both parties having their noses destroyed.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Pyromaniac Ida posted:

My colony is running out of noses. Any little slapfight seems to end up with both parties having their noses destroyed.

this is why i was on the psychopath hate train when everyone else in the thread was still in love with them. the social fights those assholes inevitably end up starting will disfigure motherfuckers disturbingly often.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
There used to be an old like, a14 mod that let you create a hive mind, and everyone linked added skill points to each other with major debuffs if someone died. Then in A17 a dude was making a playable Borg mod but A18 came out and he never bothered to update it.

My point is theres no social fights if all are one. I feel like theres a lot of potential with the hive mind stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I just want to play as the Insects.

Edit: or maybe a xenomorph hive. Every animal you grab and impregnate gives you a drone, every wandering caravan, wild man or extermination raid you face gives you the chance to get higher quality aliens duders, etc.

You could go cross country and get more hosts from caravan encounters or from attacking settlements.

McGiggins fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 1, 2018