Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

feelix posted:

I hate to break this to you, but you're probably doing harm because the things you're suggesting are stupid and the fact that they worked for one anecdote (you) doesn't mean anything.

alrighty, show me the statistics then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

runupon cracker posted:

alrighty, show me the statistics then

How about the fact that every single reasonable weight loss article makes it clear that any calorie calculation is only a starting point and you should assess and readjust? This is in utter contradiction with your suggestion to adjust day-to-day eating based on how much a loving calorie calculator, that you think is 90% accurate. Like that's a loving insane suggestion and you are extremely lucky that that kind of behavior happened to work for you.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Here's an article with a great paragraph about calorie burn and tons of academic references within that paragraph:

https://completehumanperformance.com/2013/10/08/calorie-needs/

quote:

You Will Never Know Exactly How Many Calories You Burn — And You Don’t Need To
All of these equations are rough estimates.

None of these formulas are going to tell you exactly how many calories you burn on a daily basis,[15,20,27,28] and that’s fine.

All you need is a starting place from which to make adjustments. It’s not worth getting fancy metabolic testing or obsessing over the “perfect” formula for calculating your energy needs.

Metabolic rate formulas, and the advanced lab tests they’re based on, are both imperfect. As Leigh Peele says in her book Starve Mode, we are basically “using a guess to test a guess.”[29] No matter how inaccurate these formulas are, however, they’re still better than having no idea how much you need to eat.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
In the following paragraph, they suggest reassessing every 4-8 weeks

Or, you know, just eat more because you worked out particularly hard that day :downsbravo:

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
just use nSun's adaptive TDEE spreadsheet like a normal internet fitness min/maxer

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

feelix posted:

Here's an article with a great paragraph about calorie burn and tons of academic references within that paragraph:

https://completehumanperformance.com/2013/10/08/calorie-needs/

So, no statistics? Alrighty then!

I really enjoy that the quote from the article you posted says not to worry too much about accuracy.

Please tell me more about the harm I'm causing. Also, what do you think of that one guy who didn't eat for a year and was fine?

Tinestram fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 30, 2018

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Dude you're arguing with a mansplaining anime avatar who's demanding statistics while claiming that free online tools let you bootstrap your way into having what you want without undue effort

And you're not even on Twitter

Tell me, anime avatar, how do you measure your heart rate so accurately?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

runupon cracker posted:

So, no statistics? Alrighty then!

I really enjoy that the quote from the article you posted says not to worry too much about accuracy.

Again, you think that you can reliably calculate the calorie expenditure in a single workout with only 10% error and that you should adjust what you eat that day based on that.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Somfin posted:

Dude you're arguing with a mansplaining anime avatar who's demanding statistics while claiming that free online tools let you bootstrap your way into having what you want without undue effort

uhh, without effort? wtf

Accuracy isn't all that important, please see feelix's article for details.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Somfin posted:

The pitfalls of browsing with avatars disabled

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

feelix posted:

Again, you think that you can reliably calculate the calorie expenditure in a single workout with only 10% error and that you should adjust what you eat that day based on that.

Are you capable of answering any direct question at all? Or are you going to continue raging because somebody has the temerity to suggest they should listen to actual doctors instead of going with the bro science of "you can lose weight as fast as you like!"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
shut the gently caress up before i probate you both

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I bought some bowflex weight adjusting dumbbells so I'm excited for those.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

tino posted:

Just cut out breakfast. Human didn't start eating breakfast until Industrial Revolution.

Depends how you look at it. The first thing you eat is breakfast no matter what time of day you break your fast.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Facebook Aunt posted:

Depends how you look at it. The first thing you eat is breakfast no matter what time of day you break your fast.

"Dinner" is from the old french word "disner", which meant breakfast, and consumed at midday.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Facebook Aunt posted:

I skipped breakfast this morning and I got a burrito for lunch but if I had a granola bar this morning I would have probably gotten a salad instead. Or maybe not who knows

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002
You guys I was just proud that I got off my fat rear end and did something, I was not expecting the fitness sperg inquisition. I did not work out for two hours straight but did StrongLifts and accessory lifts for about an hour and a half, taking plenty of breaks, and then ran on the treadmill for half an hour.

The calories burned thingies are probably bullshit, but they can be a good motivator as long as you don’t use them to justify extra snacks or do voodoo calorie math. I just need to set some sort of arbitrary goal and it’s enough to get me through one extra set or five more minutes of cardio.

Down 18 pounds in 2 months, feels good man :unsmith:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

tino posted:

"Dinner" is from the old french word "disner", which meant breakfast, and consumed at midday.

What if all meals are secretly breakfast? :aaaaa: Breakfast isn't just the most important meal of the day, it's the only meal that exists!?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
And breakfast looks like an acronym for fake breast but im too lazy to check

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Yolomon Wayne posted:

And breakfast looks like an acronym for fake breast but im too lazy to check

barf steak

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

what if you eat a "liquid lunch" but its the first meal of the day?

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

meet girls at the store posted:

Down 18 pounds in 2 months, feels good man :unsmith:

That is awesome, keep it up!

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
So I never post on twitter, the only things I posted on it were my weights. I looked it up, my lowest recorded weight was 167lb back in 2013 when I walked 3.5 miles to work everyday (only one way, because I worked afternoon shift.)

Anyway, that was my lightest number post college. Recently I lost 15 lbs and got back to 167 in two months. Feels good, I didn't expect I could get to 167 so fast. Now that I am here I plan to get to 155, which is the upper "normal" weight for my height.

To me personally, IF is more effective than exercise in losing weight. I probably can lost weight by just doing IF. But running makes me feel good. I enjoy it so much I got up at 6 on Sunday to run and shower before our baby woke up. Never care about my own body that much, but taking on the responsibility of parenthood made me I want to have a healthy body, lower blood pressure and be fit.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
butt liquid lunch

from a BUTT

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

tino posted:

I walked 3.5 miles to work everyday (only one way, because I worked afternoon shift.)

Wtf how did you walk to work every day if you never went home?

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

runupon cracker posted:

That is awesome, keep it up!

You said that was an unhealthy rate of weight loss last page

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Wtf how did you walk to work every day if you never went home?

I took subway home at 11pm.

I also brought change clothes to work because I am the sweatiest person I know.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Got some dang low-carb high-fiber tortillas and now I am unstoppable

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Well I guess I'm eating vegetarian stir fry tonight because a landwhale family member picked all the meat out of the pan when I left for ten minutes to put gas in my car. I'm being healthy, yay.

I guess the five breakfast tacos, carne guisada plate, 12 peanut butter cups and Panda Express he had today just weren't enough, he needs his protein, poor thing.

update: just announced he's going to go get himself a ribeye steak.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jul 31, 2018

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
^^^You need to retaliate.

I broke out a year old instant pot I had never used. They're actually pretty convenient. I made three salmon fillets that will feed me for days. What has become of me. Almost cooking, almost eating properly. Terrible.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Salmon in a pressure cooked. Strange days indeed.

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

numberoneposter posted:

Salmon in a pressure cooked. Strange days indeed.

It was frozen. That bagged stuff from the freezer section at your local warehouse store. Hell, I pressure cooked some loving eggs guy. Now what?!

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Heck I've never used a pressure cooker. Reading a bit on it, seems neat.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Pressure cookers scare me, I don't like things that can blow up in my kitchen.

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Win/Win really. Food cooks faster. Might murder me.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

I got some hot links for lunch despite not being much of a spicy food eater because the macros were so good and, well, I regret every decision that brought me to this point

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Get an instant pot. It combines best parts of pressure cooker and slowcooker and doesn't explode

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I suddenly developed a strange craving for cottage cheese, which i couldnt stand for my entire life up to last week.
I mix it up with leaf spinach, eggs and mozzarella and/or ham and its loving amazing.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Cottage cheese is amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
My mistake was going for the "good" or renown brands, the cheapest piece of poo poo manufacturer produced one that i could basically bury myself in