Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ugh, the show just completely ignores the Blinovitch Limitation Effect these days. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/miyelo_/status/1023526662342762496

I think Chris is eating a banana :3:

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
This also happened..

https://twitter.com/vickster51/status/1023592957402927104?s=19

Honestly it looks like Chris is enjoying himself quite a bit based on what i've heard

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

How many times do you think he was asked about Big Finish?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/MrDalekEmperor/status/1023605550716801030

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm just gonna quietly convince myself that Smith and Capaldi convinced him to do the 60th special that Peter wrote and is currently building the sets for.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Rhyno posted:

I'm just gonna quietly convince myself that Smith and Capaldi convinced him to do the 60th special that Peter wrote and is currently building the sets for.

Hell yes, that’s my head canon now.

Eccleston finally looks old, but also weirdly buff. He’s like that old dude who’s always at the gym lifting.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Lots of TARDIS have a gym.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I'm hoping that running into and embracing fellow Doctors means that Eccleston is finally putting any hard feelings he may have had towards the DW franchise behind him. :unsmith:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I mean, from what I remember, Eccleston really appreciated most of the Doctors as actors, at the very least. I doubt he blames them for the problems he had on the show, which were chiefly with how things were run (and from what I read of them, totally understandable).

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Do Big Finish, Chris! The power of the lunch compels you!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I'm hoping that running into and embracing fellow Doctors means that Eccleston is finally putting any hard feelings he may have had towards the DW franchise behind him. :unsmith:

Agreed. I bear him no ill will, especially because

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I mean, from what I remember, Eccleston really appreciated most of the Doctors as actors, at the very least. I doubt he blames them for the problems he had on the show, which were chiefly with how things were run (and from what I read of them, totally understandable).

With probably all the people he had issue with far removed, it would be great to see him come back. Somebody ought to steer him towards a pub with TBakes, who could really speak with him about being away from Doctor Who and eventually coming round.

I can only imagine what a great turn BF could do for him. Really give his Doctor justice and show the potential we missed, like they did with Colin and McGann, and Mel and Leela and so many others. We may yet finally get the run of 9/Rose/Jack stories we were denied! :swoon:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Was hoping that the Capaldi/Eccleston embrace would end with Peter forcibly trying to drag Eccleston away with him :allears:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I keep wondering, what would the 60th anniversary special, should there be one, be about? Another Time Lords-related problem?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I want the 60th special to feature an actual future Doctor who the BBC then proceeds to cast after the incumbent leaves.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bring Paul McGann back again, then produce The 8th Doctor Adventures which airs between seasons of regular New Who. :colbert:

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Edward Mass posted:

I keep wondering, what would the 60th anniversary special, should there be one, be about? Another Time Lords-related problem?

Susan.

Failing that, base something around past companions. Or maybe, depending on what develops with the Master/Missy between now and then, have the Doctor rescue her. (Actually, it'd be highly amusing to find out almost every one of the Master's many escapes were down to the Doctor saving him over and over in the hopes that she could be genuinely redeemed. Bring Gomez back as the newly regenerated Missy desperate to stop that from happening. Have the Doctor aided by the next incarnation of the Master.)

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Jerusalem posted:

Was hoping that the Capaldi/Eccleston embrace would end with Peter forcibly trying to drag Eccleston away with him :allears:

Capaldi: Peter, do you think it would be all right to... kiss Christopher?

Also Capaldi: Yes.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I want the 60th special to feature an actual future Doctor who the BBC then proceeds to cast after the incumbent leaves.

Keep it vague so that there’s large hints that they’re the Doctor, and then meet them later on in the show, and oh no, it’s the Master.*

*Look, most tv viewers won’t have listened to UNIT:Dominion.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Edward Mass posted:

please no

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Well, the Three Doctors dealt with Omega, the Five Doctors dealt with Rassilon, and the Day of the Doctor dealt with the Time War. Those are all Time Lords-related problems, and they were all the multi-Doctor anniversary specials.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I think we all know what the 60th must TRULY be about :

Reports are that Chris Chibnall has been rehearsing his,"JESUS CHRIST COLIN WHY ARE YOU SUCH A lovely DOCTOR!?!" line for years.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Edward Mass posted:

Fixing this drat timeline.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
The 60th anniversary special should be Lungbarrow :unsmigghh:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I have a feeling Jodie won’t be the Doctor by the time the 60th rolls around. :/

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This is always a good idea in theory but in practise there is just so much that can go wrong.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

I have a feeling Jodie won’t be the Doctor by the time the 60th rolls around. :/

Sadly, Pertwee and Baker really do seem to have been aberrations, at best I think we will get to see 3 seasons with most actors in the role.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The_Doctor posted:

I'm sure Olivia Coleman is already in negotiations.

She's in everything you know.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Hopefully Nathan Stewart-Jarrett is free by then.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

So the Capaldi Era comes to an end at last with Twice Upon A Time. Which makes it sound like he was around for too long, which isn't true at all. He only got three seasons and I would have loved him to stick around for years to come. But we came into season 10 knowing it was the last, and the final 2 parter and this Christmas Special stretched out a relatively thin story too far. As a result, the 12th Doctor's final farewell unfortunately feels overdone and struggles to be cohesive. His final line hits hard, but like the episode itself it's really a few extremely well done moments surrounded by a lot of chaff and mostly held together by a gimmick.

To be fair though... it's a hell of a gimmick!

David Bradley returns as William Hartnell as the 1st Doctor. Cast as Hartnell in the 50th Anniversary dramatization of the creation of the Doctor Who show, Bradley was well recieved in that but it still came as a surprise when he appeared at the end of The Doctor Falls. Here he plays the actual character of the 1st Doctor, and he's equal parts funny, frustrating and inspiring in the role. Hartnell's 1st Doctor was the same, but the similarities are superficial: Bradley is a great actor and his 1st Doctor is a treat, but it also bears very little similiarity to Hartnell's portrayal.

His voice, for one, feels not just distinct from Hartnell's but oddly detached. There is an almost Cybermen quality to his halting cadence, particularly in the early parts of the episode. Given the presence of the Cybermen in the last episode and of course The Tenth Planet, I actually wondered if this was deliberate. But it seems it was just a conscious decision by Bradley to speak that way. The bigger issue however comes in the decision to make the 1st Doctor casually sexist and old-fashioned. This seems to be a decision that Showrunner/Writer Steven Moffat took great pleasure in, as he has Capaldi's 12 react in horror and embarrassment while Pearl Mackie's Bill finds it hilarious. It's good for a laugh, but again it doesn't really reflect at all on the actual character of the 1st Doctor from 1963-1966. Even when he was the prickly, harsher character of early season 1, the 1st Doctor was a cheery, cheeky fellow who got surly whenever anybody (regardless of gender) questioned his authority. While the jokes land well for the most part and are intended to demonstrate the Doctor's growth as a character across the decades of the show (and millennia of his life), they exist independent of the actual character the show has brought back.

Still, seeing the 1st Doctor react to some of the 12th Doctor's eccentricities is a lot of fun. It also gives him a chance to shine in parts and remind 12 that there were things he used to notice/take account of before he let millennia of experience give him shortcuts. 1's revolted dismissal of the sonic screwdriver and especially shades is fun. But the real strength of it comes when he tells 12 to actually LOOK at the glass face of the Testimony and take note of the asymmetry and what that tells them about the origin of its face. The 1st Doctor may be a "kid" by comparison to 12, but he was always smart.

Plus, the complete recreation of The Tenth Planet's sets and ESPECIALLY the original TARDIS are extremely welcome. Seeing that original TARDIS console room in HD is a treat even if it was originally designed for An Adveture in Space and Time. The show got to have its cake and eat it too, giving us a prettied up console without having to spend any more money. If that isn't Doctor Who in a nutshell, what is?

The story is relatively straightforward given all the time travel shenanigans that appear in it. The 1st and 12th Doctors find themselves in the Arctic, where both are on the verge of regeneration but refusing to do so. Their presence together is having a whirlpool affect on time, causing another group of time-travelers to lose a World War 1 soldier they were transporting back to the moment of his death. When the latter try to retrieve that soldier, the Doctors take him into their care and get taken prisoner by "The Testimony", escaping with somebody who claims to be Bill Potts and going in search of information on their new enemy.

The WWI Captain, played by Mark Gatiss, is an odd mixture of comedy and pathos, which reflects largely the episode itself. He seems self-aware and reflective in large parts, and speaks well of how he has lost the idea of his death and thus the calm that came with his acceptance. His final thoughts are of his family, but he isn't treated like a modern character who happens to come from the past: his ideas about his wife and children are very much tied up in that stiff upper lip British mentality even if his love for them is apparent.

Captain posted:

My wife will miss me. That's perfectly natural. But she's a solid woman, remarkably solid. And my boys... well, sons are supposed to move on from their fathers. It's the proper way.

Similarly, his quiet but horrified response to the Doctor's mention of "World War Two" is handled extremely well. But like with the 1st Doctor, Moffat's writing can't resist having fun with old fashioned sexism played for a laugh, such as when the two share knowing laughs about all women being made of glass which just feel completely out of place for the story and the tone.

He is taken by The Testimony, which is an interesting if belatedly introduced/explained antagonist which requires a fair measure of suspension of disbelief. The idea that the Doctor would NOT be aware of a year 5 Billion human organization of time travelers who record and store the memories/personality of every living being that ever existed seems unlikely. Something like this wouldn't slip under the radar, and the idea he'd have to go to see a rogue Dalek to get the information feels like padding (and again plays into the old legend that the Nation Estate deal means a Dalek must appear once a year on the show).

This is yet another example of Moffat's frequent fallback to the "twist", though this one is pretty well handled. The Doctor meets the Testimony, they talk to him in an authoritarian and easily misconstrued manner but then he eventually discovers that their intentions are benevolent. They scan a being at the very last moment of their life and keep that record so that everybody who ever lived can be communicated with, their every memory and personality quirk perfectly preserved, functionally making them immortal or at least guaranteeing "they" will never disappear from the universe. The Doctor's reaction to this discovery is rather charming:

The 12th Doctor posted:

Oh, it's not an evil plan. I don't really know what to do when it isn't an evil plan.

The Testimony's offer of Bill to the Doctor wasn't trying to buy him off or provide a hostage, it was a genuine offer to somebody they respected while trying to perform what they consider an altruistic function. He has been looking for the twist, the hook, the trap much like he once did with Clara, but there was never anything but good intentions there. The Captain accepts his fate, he'd already offered to swap places with Bill and now that the Testimony has actually explained itself to everybody (which it should have done in the first place instead of being ominous!) he is happy to let things be set to rights. The Testimony aren't trying to kill him, he was already going to die, and he has refound "the idea of it". Together, they all return to Ypres so he can die, though he does ask them to look up his family from time to time and reveals (in what really wasn't a surprise but was still nicely done) that he is a Lethbridge-Stewart, related to who will become one of the Doctor's greatest friends/allies: The Brigadier.

Which is when the absolute best part of the episode happens, as the Doctor demonstrates the difference between himself and the kind if detached nature of The Testimony:

The 12th Doctor posted:

I adjusted the time frame, only by a couple of hours. Any other day it wouldn't make any difference, but this is Christmas 1914, and a human miracle is about to happen. The Christmas Armistice.

Because the Doctor doesn't care about whether it was meant to be and he doesn't accept,"There is no other way". The Captain doesn't have to die, NOBODY has to die. Just this once it can be a good day, even in the middle of a war. The Christmas Truce, a remarkable moment in history that sadly the top brass did everything to prevent from ever happening again. Instead of dying in Ypres, the Captain lives and gets his injured enemy back to his companions to save his life too. Soldiers embrace, play football, sing songs and largely recognize each other as human beings and not some monstrous other.

This also enables the 1st Doctor to have a moment of clarity. Earlier in the episode, he was shown a sampling of his own future by The Testimony and was ominously called The Doctor of War by them. The idea was to make the audience feel 1 would be horrified by the dark character he would become, furthering the idea that the Testimony were the bad guys. Like The Testimony themselves however this turns out to be a (deliberate) mislead - when 1 sees the way 12 saved Captain Lethbridge-Stewart from being yet another casualty of war, he realizes that this healing/saving is what it truly means to be "The Doctor of War". The Testimony meant it as a compliment (ominously delivered) and he takes it as such. His future is assured, those that will replace him will be good people who help others. He returns to his own time and a lovely transition into the original Hartnell/Troughton regeneration. He can let go, he can move on... but can 12 do the same?

Pearl Mackie (and belatedly Matt Lucas) return as Bill (and Nardole), though a large part of the episodes features the Doctor being unwilling to accept this is the REAL Bill. He detects incredibly minor signals that she is not the original Bill, but even in spite of his objections he can't help but bring her along and enjoy the wonderful back-and-forth teacher/student dynamic they shared. Bill can remember how she escaped the Cyberman Ship but further details are a little fuzzier, as The Testimony brought her back in a state as close to the last time he saw her as possible. He continually suspects her of being a Testimony agent, and he ends up being right... and wrong.

It's great to have Bill back for a proper goodbye between herself and the Doctor, even if she already had a hell of a goodbye to the audience at the end of the previous episode. Her arguments/opinions are hers even if she's a reconstruction made by The Testimony, and she makes a compelling argument that even if she isn't physically the same Bill, he can value her words, thoughts and feelings as genuinely the same shared by Bill. He doesn't quite buy the argument that this makes her also Bill Potts, but can't deny the power of the gift she (or The Testimony) offer him. Using their own vast storage, they piece back together his memories of Clara (in a surprise appearance from Jenna Coleman) and the pure pleasure on his face as he realizes he can remember her is a realy joy. Even so, he can't help himself, as he offers a backhanded compliment to The Testimony by noting that they massive memory storage couldn't even begin to contain HIS mind. If he's going to die, he's going to do it alone and make a proper end of it. He says his final goodbyes to Bill and Nardole, a goodbye he never really got to make in person, and heads into the TARDIS to die.

Peter Capaldi was a lifelong fan of Doctor Who, and he got to live the dream of actually playing the character. Sadly, though he brought that level of enthusiasm to the role there was always a sense that perhaps he wasn't quite getting the level of support he should have or the run he could have. Rightly or wrongly, Moffat was accused of running thin on ideas, and the final couple of seasons of Capaldi's run were uneven affairs. Season 10 started incredibly strong, got REAL bad, bounced back a bit, got REALLY good and then the last two episodes kind of just petered (no pun) out. There'll always be a question of what might have been with a different showrunner, either from the start or if he'd been able to stick around another year or two with Chibnall.

But as a final, fitting gift, Capaldi was given the chance to contribute to his own final scene in his role of a lifetime. Having being admonished lovingly by the TARDIS, he in true Doctor fashion figures out that "one more lifetime wouldn't kill anyone... well except me" and makes the decision to regenerate... after a few words of wisdom to his successor. Perhaps this could have used a bit of editing to refine it, but who would really have the heart to chop up Capaldi's farewell. As a result, the Doctor's "goodbye" rambles a bit and largely repeats a lot of things he has said before as he seems to take every opportunity to hold onto the role just a little bit longer. But his final words hit hard, as he pauses for a moment and then gives his final words as the 12th Doctor.

12th Doctor posted:

Doctor, I let you go.

So ends Capaldi as the Doctor and Moffat as the showrunner. The regeneration, much as it did between RTD and Moffat's changeover, damages the TARDIS set to aid Chibnall revamping everything. Everything shot after this point is under Chibnall's eye, with his crew and his actor. Jodie Whittaker arrives as the 13th Doctor, the first female in the role, in a gorgeously shot scene. Moments later the TARDIS is exploding inside and she's falling out the doors to plummet towards the Earth as a cliffhanger for season 11. That's not the important part though. The important part comes immediately post-regeneration as the Doctor opens her eyes for the first time and staggers to a TARDIS monitor to look at her reflection. For thousands of years, over a dozen incarnations and 50+ years of television, the Doctor has been a man. Now she peers at herself, sees her face, gapes in astonishment and then says her first words. What would they be? How would she react? Would Chibnall nail the writing? Would Whittaker nail the line? We'd already seen Moffat's attempts be at best shaky (The Master) and at worst hamfisted (The General) when writing the shift of a male to a female so would this one work or be awkward and cringeworthy?

Thank God then, that Whittaker's line (delivered in her natural Yorkshire accent) accurately sums up both her performance, Chibnall's writing, the new look to the show and the character of the Doctor's reaction to this change:

The 13th Doctor posted:

Aww... brilliant!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 26, 2018

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Doctor... I let you go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZW5tWXvn7A

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

drat, that was really loving good.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I'm aware of every single ounce of every single problem in Twice Upon A Time, but god damnit, I just do not care because there's a love and joy to this episode that you don't see very often, in Who or even in a lot of other shows. And not even in an 'it's just fun so don't think too hard about it' way, it's just something where you can feel the love in every part of it, even if things aren't quite right or accurate (there's a way to tie this comparison into Testimony themselves, but honestly it's late and I can't quite piece it all together).

I feel like one of the best examples is one that Gatiss pointed out in the behind the scenes stuff; after his several appearances in the show, and remarkable amount of time working on it and related content, this is the only time he's ever actually gotten to play someone who travels in the TARDIS, and he really wanted to play it right despite the fact it's not really the focus. So in the background of the scene where they disembark, something you would only notice if you're rewatching and perhaps looking for it, you can see the Captain try to figure out what the hell just happened. Partly because it makes sense, but also because god damnit Gatiss just wanted to finally play out that moment.

That behind-the-scenes special also shows their original plan for the flashback to the Tenth Planet; a shot-for-shot remake instead of using more modern-day cinematic techniques. It's adorable.

I also just want to echo the feelings on Thirteen's first scene; there were a lot of ways they could've done the first moments of the first female Doctor, and so many of them would be logically valid, but the fact that she is IMMEDIATELY on board with it, with an enthusiasm and lack of hesitation that I don't think you've ever really seen from a Doctor before then, is the perfect choice. Because that tells us all that everything is okay, and for the girls watching (and hell, especially for the trans and gender diverse people watching) that there's no trepidation, this is going to be brilliant!

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jul 30, 2018

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Will the Yorkshire in her make her refer to River as ‘er indoors’?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jerusalem posted:

drat, that was really loving good.

Garos does a lot of good stuff and I normally hate fan films.

Edit: This is my favorite one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKV_-2IjTmg

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jul 30, 2018

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

"Oh, brilliant!" is the only good thing about Twice Upon A Time.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Son, father, and great great great(?) grandmother.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
You could see it coming a mile away, but I really liked how they did the Christmas truce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

TinTower posted:

You could see it coming a mile away, but I really liked how they did the Christmas truce.

It was good judgement to not have the Doctor cause it.

• Locked thread