Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

It's also a minority of the posts following that new guy's introduction post, but your worldview demands it be the majority

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Without the capacity to cast yourself as the only reasonable "But actually :fishmech:" man in the middle, you're without an online identity

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

I am literally laughing in the face of anyone who would argue that Americans would take kindly to adopting the living conditions of the French, and wouldn't poo poo themselves crying about how they're being impoverished and it's the death of the American dream and muh taxmoney!!

I mean, when someone ITT suggested to an American ITT that they should ride planes a little less often, the response was outraged. Imagine telling them that they literally have to take the plane 2,5 times less often!

Imagine telling them to renounce their idiotic suburban model of residential development.

Y'all have nationwide resistance movements springing up when people suggest making plastic straws a little less available

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Potato Salad posted:

It's also a minority of the posts following that new guy's introduction post, but your worldview demands it be the majority

No it wasn't? I guess we could go back and tally it, but from a skim it looks like there's about a 50/50 split on the first page of the replies and then another page and a half devoted almost entirely to personal austerity.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Thug Lessons posted:

Being a sanctimonious jackoff demanded that everyone "make sacrifices" (while usually refusing to make any oneself), telling them they have to stop having kids, this is not political action. It is obnoxious noise.

Y'all are going to have to make sacrifices, friend, everybody knows it.

You could start by sacrificing Trump voters.

EDIT: it's often said that the best way to reduce your carbon footprint is to not have children. But now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure murdering Americans would probably be the best way to offset one's footprint.

Flowers For Algeria fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 30, 2018

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Thug Lessons posted:

No it wasn't? I guess we could go back and tally it, but from a skim it looks like there's about a 50/50 split on the first page of the replies and then another page and a half devoted almost entirely to personal austerity.

Actually I have to agree here

In my defense, reading this thread involves going over a lot of minimized posts where I've muted people who have lost hope

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Y'all are going to have to make sacrifices, friend, everybody knows it.

You could start by sacrificing Trump voters.

EDIT: it's often said that the best way to reduce your carbon footprint is to not have children. But now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure murdering Americans would probably be the best way to offset one's footprint.

You have to calculate the effects of the volatile gasses released from firing a gun buddy, that has to change the math.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Airburst doesn't kick up and irradiate soil all that much, so...

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Thug Lessons posted:

I have no problem with taxing people, (especially rich people), to pay for decarbonization, if that's what you're asking. This is entirely different from the solutions offered earlier, which are all about not having kids or traveling.

Excellent. I think I've got everything now.

Then, let us take a moment to behold the mind of the moneyed upper-middle neoliberal:

As a reasonable left-leaning, but right-thinking individual, he of course understands that Climate Change is an issue that would cause untold human suffering, and therefore must be addressed. However, for him political action that advocates lifestyle changes - his lifestyle changes - is unacceptable. A total non-starter, really. It's just obvious it wouldn't work, in fact historically it's never worked, and you'd need to be suffering from some mental illness or outright be a dullard to even consider it. I mean, please.

But then, what is to be done? Well, naturally, he believes the problem must be tackled at its real source: the economy.

If transportation and industry are what's causing carbon emissions, then it's only obvious they must be shifted to non-carbon emitting paradigms through innovation and roundabout forced implementation. Taxes, incentives, and legislation. It's just so simple.

Of course, there'd be growing pains. This would increase costs of living. But that's okay.

Because he can afford it.

Most importantly, it means he can feel good about himself, for in advocating this course of action (but without actually taking action; that is not his responsibility, after all) he has contributed to the real solution, and without compromising his core values.

Truly, this is the enlightened mind that through colossal willpower and sheer intellectual fortitude, keeps this thread from completely veering off into fantasy.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Your psychoanalysis is very poor. As I expected, you're much too stupid for this.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

It's always great when people in this thread accuse me, a person living well below the poverty line with no car or AC, of being a rich rear end in a top hat. But even better when those same people later post about their tropical vacations and how devastated they are about how much worse the coral reefs are compared to last year.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
I actually meant to quote oocc's post below my reply to yours but lol this works too.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Our most vulnerable citizens will take the hit of global political destabilization the hardest

That's cruel, so the indicator canaries are absolutely important to pay attention to. They help this issue become concrete and visibly real in our society so maybe we'll do something about it

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

There's a reason silent spring was so effective. Visibility and clarity is the name of the game, whether we're talking about improving civil rights, tackling poverty, or unfucking our energy infrastructure

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

brb let me bike 12 miles to work in 100 degree weather

I just built an electric bicycle for 500 EUR that can do that trip in 30min, charging it is so cheap it's basically free

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Conspiratiorist posted:

Excellent. I think I've got everything now.

Then, let us take a moment to behold the mind of the moneyed upper-middle neoliberal:

As a reasonable left-leaning, but right-thinking individual, he of course understands that Climate Change is an issue that would cause untold human suffering, and therefore must be addressed. However, for him political action that advocates lifestyle changes - his lifestyle changes - is unacceptable. A total non-starter, really. It's just obvious it wouldn't work, in fact historically it's never worked, and you'd need to be suffering from some mental illness or outright be a dullard to even consider it. I mean, please.

But then, what is to be done? Well, naturally, he believes the problem must be tackled at its real source: the economy.

If transportation and industry are what's causing carbon emissions, then it's only obvious they must be shifted to non-carbon emitting paradigms through innovation and roundabout forced implementation. Taxes, incentives, and legislation. It's just so simple.

Of course, there'd be growing pains. This would increase costs of living. But that's okay.

Because he can afford it.

Most importantly, it means he can feel good about himself, for in advocating this course of action (but without actually taking action; that is not his responsibility, after all) he has contributed to the real solution, and without compromising his core values.

Truly, this is the enlightened mind that through colossal willpower and sheer intellectual fortitude, keeps this thread from completely veering off into fantasy.

I mean, this seems exactly right. Except you are saying it all sarcastic for some reason.

Pollution is an actual physical problem, it's not some abstract moral thing. There is a number of tons of carbon released and a presented solution objectively does or doesn't reduce that number. We have real life examples of real life first world countries that produce less pollution with solutions that can be implemented here and other places. And many of them are phenomenally successful compared to america and none of them involve any sort of moral self denial of wants and needs.

Like it seems more important to you that the right people suffer for their sins than it matters if the suffering actually fixes anything. It sounds like you'd be happier if people stopped having things they like if they refuse to repent than it sounds like you'd be if someone found out a way to give them more of the things they like at reduced carbon cost.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I mean, this seems exactly right. Except you are saying it all sarcastic for some reason.
holy gently caress thank you i full on burst out loud laughing

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Potato Salad posted:

There's a reason silent spring was so effective.
People like birds

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Pollution is an actual physical problem, it's not some abstract moral thing. There is a number of tons of carbon released and a presented solution objectively does or doesn't reduce that number.

Wait a minute, are you implying that CO2 is "pollution"?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
lol @ trying to start a dumb semantics argument

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

OhYeah posted:

Wait a minute, are you implying that CO2 is "pollution"?

Skip the questions and just say whatever dumb right wing talking point you are leading to.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state
I think that using correct terminology is a good start to having a discussion that is based on reality and not hysteria. Lumping the subject of overall pollution levels together with CO2 in the atmosphere is disingenuous at best.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the dose makes the poison

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

OhYeah posted:

I think that using correct terminology is a good start to having a discussion that is based on reality and not hysteria. Lumping the subject of overall pollution levels together with CO2 in the atmosphere is disingenuous at best.

lol

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

OhYeah posted:

No that is really stupid and there is no other examples of people declaring things "Not Pollution" based on something being naturally occurring or natural.

If someone dumped waste salt into a salt sea to the point it was changing the sea's environment literally everyone would call the factory doing it polluting, even if the sea started with salt already in it and everything in the sea needed salt to live.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

No that is really stupid and there is no other examples of people declaring things "Not Pollution" based on something being naturally occurring or natural.

If someone dumped waste salt into a salt sea to the point it was changing the sea's environment literally everyone would call the factory doing it polluting, even if the sea started with salt already in it and everything in the sea needed salt to live.

That is true. How much do we need to increase atmospheric CO2 until it becomes acutely toxic to humans? Around 150 times. No, not by 150%, 150 times (around 60-70k ppm). Considering the highest it has been in the last 500 million years is around 7000 ppm, I'm not really that worried.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

OhYeah posted:

That is true. How much do we need to increase atmospheric CO2 until it becomes acutely toxic to humans? Around 150 times. No, not by 150%, 150 times (around 60-70k ppm). Considering the highest it has been in the last 500 million years is around 7000 ppm, I'm not really that worried.

Yeah, but that is an extremely stupid argument using a definition of pollution that you would never apply to anything else that you are applying to this to make some dumb bad faith argument.

There is plenty of pollution that is not acutely toxic but has some negative effect and is easily labeled pollution.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Run up on you (but, like, physically run due to carbon logistic chains) and beat you with a carbon sequestered brick with the energy of a thousand turnips. Real Ecologist hours

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

In what way are people in france "impoverished"?

If someone builds you a train system not owning a car is nothing, it's better to not own a car. If you simply choose yourself to not own a car and live somewhere with no transport system you have just hurt your quality of life seriously with very very little environmental impact.
Why do you think that areas which don't have transport systems today, don't have transport systems? Is it because the people in these areas have forgotten that transport systems exist, or because people in these areas have decided that using a transport system would be worse than not using a transport system and have elected to not pay the cost of building a transport system? Follow up: Do you think forcing people to pay a cost for a thing they don't want impoverishes them?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

OhYeah posted:

Humans also aren't the only living creatures on the planet, oddly enough. A non-toxic effect of increased CO2 concentrations for grain crops is that they seed less and grow more, decreasing crop yields.

e: Incidentally, there's not a single "talking point" you've attempted to raise that isn't answered here: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php, so gently caress off and come back when you've got an issue you can't answer yourself with google.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 30, 2018

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

StabbinHobo posted:

I don't know where these dsa-rose gang tags come from but how the gently caress is this suburban republican sporting one?

I like how you word-salad'd your way to a really progressive plan: wait for the whole system to fix itself around you, your way of life is non-negotiable

Not sure what part of that struck you as republican but you're welcome to go through my proposed ideas and say which ones. As far as I'm concerned the notion that individual lifestyle choice can change the way our society functions is a right-wing libertarian idea that a lot of centrists have embraced because they aren't or wouldn't be willing to give up their upper middle class lifestyle in the burbs to make the changes that are actually necessary to have an impact on global warming. Or by privileged folk who want to give themselves a few pats on the back and think they're so intelligent for making the right choice. The real fact of living here in the US is if you can make the choice to not own a car, to afford a condo that can fit a family in an urban area, and to eat a diet that entirely cuts out meat you are privileged. If got to choose where you live you are privileged, the rest of us live where we can afford to pay rent or a mortgage and the reality is that the majority of those places where you can afford that poo poo probably also don't have a reasonable public transportation system.

For example in my state, WA, the government has pretty massive incentives for moving OUT of urban centers in the form house buying programs for people who make under certain thresholds. That isn't even counting the fact that the cost of living in the urban centers along I-5 is skyrocketing to the point where people are being priced out of where they live even in the smaller towns south of the seattle-tacoma area.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jul 30, 2018

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Potato Salad posted:

There's a reason silent spring was so effective. Visibility and clarity is the name of the game, whether we're talking about improving civil rights, tackling poverty, or unfucking our energy infrastructure
How did Naomi Klein's book on climate fare in comparison?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Not having a family, living in a tiny unheated apartment, and not having a car or enough money for airfare should require very little sacrifice for most goons.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Defining a pollutant is a lot like defining a weed or a pest: there is no objective definition and it mostly comes down to "we don't like it". The EPA defines CO2 as a pollutant, (or at least did before Trump came in), and I don't really see a reason to argue about it.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

porfiria posted:

Not having a family, living in a tiny unheated apartment, and not having a car or enough money for airfare should require very little sacrifice for most goons.

Written while sipping a drink with a plastic straw.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

twodot posted:

Follow up: Do you think forcing people to pay a cost for a thing they don't want impoverishes them?

Are you trying to pull "taxation is theft"? Clearly part of public infrastructure requires building it good. That applies to car infrastructure as well.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Not sure what part of that struck you as republican but you're welcome to go through my proposed ideas and say which ones. As far as I'm concerned the notion that individual lifestyle choice can change the way our society functions is a right-wing libertarian idea that a lot of centrists have embraced because they aren't or wouldn't be willing to give up their upper middle class lifestyle in the burbs to make the changes that are actually necessary to have an impact on global warming. Or by privileged folk who want to give themselves a few pats on the back and think they're so intelligent for making the right choice.
"i mean when you think about it really, I'm the victim here"
- a republican

Doorknob Slobber posted:

The real fact of living here in the US is if you can make the choice to not own a car, to afford a condo that can fit a family in an urban area, and to eat a diet that entirely cuts out meat you are privileged. If got to choose where you live you are privileged, the rest of us live where we can afford to pay rent or a mortgage and the reality is that the majority of those places where you can afford that poo poo probably also don't have a reasonable public transportation system.

For example in my state, WA, the government has pretty massive incentives for moving OUT of urban centers in the form house buying programs for people who make under certain thresholds. That isn't even counting the fact that the cost of living in the urban centers along I-5 is skyrocketing to the point where people are being priced out of where they live even in the smaller towns south of the seattle-tacoma area.
clearly you missed the pre-reply

StabbinHobo posted:

Saying "it would cost money" to economically account for something that is currently an un-priced externality is like one of the most amazingly dumb thank-you-captain-obvious/no-poo poo-sherlock takes you can possibly have.

"but, but, much of rural and suburban america can't do that!" is a very close second.

I'm sorry the news is bad. You can't try to victimized-middle-class cry your way out of it.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

StabbinHobo posted:

dons fedora, strokes neckbeard, 'clearly you see in order to solve climate change all you have to do is not have children and thats why im still a virgin'

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
thats the other way we can tell you're a republican

me: "have one less child than you otherwise would have"
you, a triggered reactionary: UR A VIRGIN

its ok you're like guy number one million who's reaction to the info that they're the baddie is to go into a hyper defensive temper tantrum, its normal, the question is will you cry it out and then get to work?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

StabbinHobo posted:

thats the other way we can tell you're a republican

me: have one less child than you otherwise would have
you, a triggered reactionary: UR A VIRGIN

its ok you're like guy number one million who's reaction to the info that they're the baddie is to go into a hyper defensive temper tantrum, its normal, the question is will you cry it out and then get to work?

To be fair, if I wish to reduce the global child population by one below what I would normally contribute, it would involve activities that are traditionally frowned upon by law enforcement.